Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Inspector_666 posted:

PowerShell loving rules until people insist on trying to make it into something it isn't and then they get mad it's not a fully-fledged programming language.

This is my feeling on the subject as well. As far as I'm concerned, if you're doing anything where you would need to pull in a .net class you should be switching to C# or Python depending on your environment.

Powershell works very well for automating admin tasks in supported environments and basic API stuff. If you're trying to do more, use a different tool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

The Fool posted:

This is my feeling on the subject as well. As far as I'm concerned, if you're doing anything where you would need to pull in a .net class you should be switching to C# or Python depending on your environment.

Powershell works very well for automating admin tasks in supported environments and basic API stuff. If you're trying to do more, use a different tool.

It's okay on occasion to use a .net class, but it's also a hint that you're starting to outgrow PowerShell in your career.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
A good chunk of it is me just overthinking it and being exposed to some really smart people who used Powershell to automate the poo poo out of things. Our former Azure architect put together scripts that take ARM templates, look for parts of them, and use 'em to create entire stacks in Azure. I can do cmdlets and pipe them to other cmdlets. I keep forgetting that this guy left the company thanks to its dinosauric bureaucracy; he did his master's thesis on machine learning for terrain-mapping drones and is making bank.

Also it's good to hear that ARM templates suck. Prepping for the AWS exam I took, I was floored to see that AWS doesn't care as much about X or Y's placement within such and such tab/curly brace/resource type/etc. Half my time working with ARM templates is figuring out where exactly I need to give something a name, the other half is figuring out why it wants a comma and where its preceding comma needs to be.

I'm going to just do things the simplest way that I can reliably make them repeatable with minimal effort. If that means you gotta edit a hardcoded argument in a Powershell cmdlet and not reinvent a custom template and deployment script, then you can edit that argument if you wanna use this or get a serious-rear end ARM template coder to make. I just want to do my job and not have coding anxiety every other week.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

MJP posted:

Our former Azure architect put together scripts that take ARM templates, look for parts of them, and use 'em to create entire stacks in Azure.

I dunno about this why not use TF modules and avoid the JSON? Why would you need a script for ARM?

Edited so I don’t sound like such an angry person

i am a moron fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Mar 3, 2021

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

We share a ticket system with ParentCo. They kick poo poo to our queue we can in no way assist with even if it was our problem. I send it back with a note attached saying “The QueueName is for MyCompany, we cannot assist with this. Please direct to the correct department. “. Because I have no idea where it really needs to go.

2 hours later it is back in my queue. Close ticket. I tried to help. Reason: Not our ticket, keeps ending up here.

If I’m feeling nice I’ll send a message to whoever opened the ticket suggesting they try again and throw the other team under the bus.

It’s never stuff we could work on, it’s like a broken toilet in Montana or some weird thing like that.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

I'd send the broken toilet tickets to the magic somewhere else queue, too

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

PirateDentist posted:

It’s never stuff we could work on, it’s like a broken toilet in Montana or some weird thing like that.

I got a ticket requesting I go mop the floor somewhere in south america

like, I'm not even in the same hemisphere as you, I can't mop your floor even if it was my job

tbf, it needed mopping, it was the entrance to a cleanroom and had half an inch of muddy water on the floor

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

If you love a flower which happens to be on a star, it is sweet at night to gaze at the sky. All the stars are a riot of flowers.

The Fool posted:

I don't disagree, the problem is I work in a hospital and have to beg IT to please please let me have a compiler, and some .NET frameworks. Whereas Powershell (and VBA) are already on all our machines by default.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

So, apparently, now Security has decided that Bluetooth must be turned off on all company devices.

We now live in an era where a newbie in infosec can read an article online and make sweeping generalized changes to the entire environment without being checked.

Spoiler: they're getting checked on it now, and hard.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

AlexDeGruven posted:

So, apparently, now Security has decided that Bluetooth must be turned off on all company devices.

We now live in an era where a newbie in infosec can read an article online and make sweeping generalized changes to the entire environment without being checked.

Security is one big :fap:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

AlexDeGruven posted:

This isn't a security issue. This is a failure of leadership and process.

Bob Morales posted:

Security is one big :fap:

:fuckoff:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Become a Microsoft Defender for Endpoint Ninja

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Sickening posted:

100%, there's nothing wrong with a junior bringing these ideas up, but the senior security folks/CISO/whoever should be checking this, approving/denying and giving feedback on why the change/request was denied so they can help these folks grow and learn.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Bob Morales posted:

Become a Microsoft Defender for Endpoint Ninja

You're an idiot.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

The daughter of the president of our board of directors works at one of our manufacturing faculties. She works 3rd shift. She got her bike stolen. Her bike was locked up behind the building to a chain link fence that separates our property from the local park where there were about 20 homeless tents up until a week ago. She did not lock it up to the bike rack in the parking lot.

So now it's a Big loving Deal. Why doesn't IT have camera's back there??? When are we getting camera's there?? Whose decision was it to wait so long??

Getting Meraki camera's was a bad idea because apparently now IT owns ground security? FML.

Because a loving camera showing a dude in a mask and huge loving coat would have stopped the theft? Yeah, no.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Sickening posted:

:fuckoff:

It gets better. The official statement says only Logitech proprietary wireless devices are approved.

So what that tells me is that, likely, someone in desktop engineering with a psychological vulnerability to scare tactics got contacted by Logitech and sent a bunch of scary articles and ad copy.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

GreenNight posted:

The daughter of the president of our board of directors works at one of our manufacturing faculties. She works 3rd shift. She got her bike stolen. Her bike was locked up behind the building to a chain link fence that separates our property from the local park where there were about 20 homeless tents up until a week ago. She did not lock it up to the bike rack in the parking lot.

So now it's a Big loving Deal. Why doesn't IT have camera's back there??? When are we getting camera's there?? Whose decision was it to wait so long??

Getting Meraki camera's was a bad idea because apparently now IT owns ground security? FML.

Because a loving camera showing a dude in a mask and huge loving coat would have stopped the theft? Yeah, no.

Yes, getting meraki cameras was a bad idea.

Security cameras are like printers, you get a 3rd party company to do everything involving them.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Boss put in an order for 40 more :suicide:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

AlexDeGruven posted:

It gets better. The official statement says only Logitech proprietary wireless devices are approved.

So what that tells me is that, likely, someone in desktop engineering with a psychological vulnerability to scare tactics got contacted by Logitech and sent a bunch of scary articles and ad copy.

I mean, bluetooth is definitely unsecure and poo poo on windows devices. This has been this way for a long time and shouldn't be a shock. How bluetooths issue creates risk in your org could wildy be different from another. Much like mass storage issues (thumb drives) , you have to decide if this is an avenue you want to go down because you run into issues of security vs convenience. No solution is without its issues.

The issue I have with it the most is that its one of those things you can't instantly shut off and not expect immediate friction. Its going to take communication and leadership buyin to move things along. It should be a process like any other major change would be. Because along with the actual turning off of bluetooth, you are going to have to work with IS to provide alternative solutions to those that relied upon it for whatever.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

AlexDeGruven posted:

I can't remember if it was Logitech or Dell, but we had a bunch of the wireless mouse/keyboard combos of one of those two brands.

We had a pile of ones that were no longer in their original pairing. One work break, or get lost, blah blah, so they would order a whole new set.

"You can't use them except in their original set."

:eng101:

They almost poo poo their pants when I downloaded the stupid utility you could use to repair devices to the receivers.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Sickening posted:

I mean, bluetooth is definitely unsecure and poo poo on windows devices. This has been this way for a long time and shouldn't be a shock. How bluetooths issue creates risk in your org could wildy be different from another. Much like mass storage issues (thumb drives) , you have to decide if this is an avenue you want to go down because you run into issues of security vs convenience. No solution is without its issues.

The issue I have with it the most is that its one of those things you can't instantly shut off and not expect immediate friction. Its going to take communication and leadership buyin to move things along. It should be a process like any other major change would be. Because along with the actual turning off of bluetooth, you are going to have to work with IS to provide alternative solutions to those that relied upon it for whatever.

Well there you go with your crazy "process" and "logic"

And yes, BT has a whole raft of issues on it's own, but quietly turning it off without any engagement of the people it will affect, or a plan moving forward is a great way to get poo poo on by thousands of people at once.

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.

AlexDeGruven posted:

Well there you go with your crazy "process" and "logic"

And yes, BT has a whole raft of issues on it's own, but quietly turning it off without any engagement of the people it will affect, or a plan moving forward is a great way to get poo poo on by thousands of people at once.

It's exactly the kind of behavior that gets Cyber security teams cut out of the loop, for better or worse. My org had problems with Cyber just up and pushing things out that broke business process, and their response was, "deal with it".

Their leadership is now shocked that we pretty much don't engage with them at all.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Crazy how that works.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Sickening posted:

Yes, getting meraki cameras was a bad idea.

Security cameras are like printers, you get a 3rd party company to do everything involving them.

For real. My old company used to do this all in-house and then on a whim for the location opened about a year and a half ago just went with a 3rd party and holy gently caress every single camera was better aimed and focused and could actually see the poo poo you were trying to see :popeye:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I don't understand the attitude that certain people have (you all know at least one person like this) where they think they know better than someone who's being doing that job for decades. I'm sure there are some people in trades who are poo poo, but you probably aren't a better data cabler than someone who does it as their job just because you've seen some YouTube videos and ran some cables around your house. Getting a professional in will most likely cost less than throwing something together yourself, unless your employer sees your time as having no value.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

So it appears that there is NOT a company wide policy to disable Bluetooth. But rather someone at the first level helpdesk read a knowledge base article referring to USB Bluetooth adapters and interpreted that information to be "Bluetooth is bad and we're not enabling it"

Coworker got caught up in one of those lovely " Search, skim, parrot relevant bit of text me close" cycles.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Internet Explorer posted:

You're an idiot.

oh my god I thought bob was joking, its a real loving thing :negative:

I can't wait for "Microsoft Defenders for Endpoint Ninjas" to be offering infosec opinions in microsoft's tech forums.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

orange juche posted:

oh my god I thought bob was joking, its a real loving thing :negative:

I can't wait for "Microsoft Defenders for Endpoint Ninjas" to be offering infosec opinions in microsoft's tech forums.

It is definitely a real thing, but using it as an example that all security in tech is useless or whatever is real dumb.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
How many of these awful security departments exist as they are because they're the people expected to sign off on the risks instead of an executive that needs to decide if the reduction in risk is worth the cost? If Security can operate within a vacuum and the only thing they're assed on is how many secfucks do or don't happen instead of running analysis and assessments and presenting them to a higher leadership for consideration, they're just going to strangle the company to death because the only perfect security isn't even a box not letting data in or out of anything under any circumstances, but the lack of any box or data to have ever existed to begin with.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

AlexDeGruven posted:

Logitech whose wireless devices broadcast in the clear?

Thanks Ants posted:

unless your employer sees your time as having no value.
Why would they not?

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Arquinsiel posted:

Logitech whose wireless devices broadcast in the clear?

Again, you people with your crazy logic, and facts. Don't you know we have to run things on knee-jerk fear?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I actually do have a 'no Bluetooth' rule, but it's for people buying headsets to use with Windows devices.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

AlexDeGruven posted:

Again, you people with your crazy logic, and facts. Don't you know we have to run things on knee-jerk fear?
Well in that case if you don't give me a raise I will BLOW UP THE INTERNET!!!!11!

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Internet Explorer posted:

It is definitely a real thing, but using it as an example that all security in tech is useless or whatever is real dumb.

Oh yeah nah security in tech is a very good thing, but I see the Microsoft Endpoint Ninja thing winding up like their MVP program where the MVPs offer awful solutions and beg for thumbs ups on the forums.

I work in government IT so we're not implementing anything that comes out of a "Microsoft Endpoint Ninja"s post on the microsoft forums, at least not directly.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Mar 4, 2021

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

Thanks Ants posted:

I actually do have a 'no Bluetooth' rule, but it's for people buying headsets to use with Windows devices.

The few people on my team who have BT headsets have consistently bad audio quality in meetings, no exceptions.

I'm sure it doesn't help that they're using Linux, either.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

Merijn posted:

The few people on my team who have BT headsets have consistently bad audio quality in meetings, no exceptions.

I'm sure it doesn't help that they're using Linux, either.

I have a BT headset from work, but I only use the built-in mic when it's paired with my phone - otherwise I use my nice pre-pandemic podcast mic so I sound like the smooth operator I most definitely am not

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Bluetooth wireless headsets suck.

USB wireless headsets are excellent and reliable.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

AlexDeGruven posted:

We went through this last year, a few weeks after we sent everyone, especially our scheduling department, home to WFH. Guess what that specific department uses to do their job? Bluetooth jabra headsets, guess which department had immediate downtime when that "fix" rolled out to them, guess which "fix" got unrolled right quick lol

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010

Sickening posted:

We took the opposite approach to leadership comms - I recall a conversation in one of the threads about Microsoft teams about how users on the government cloud find out about cool apps, ask for them and can't have them... that vaguely resembles our approach to how we manage security

Bluetooth? We are never turning that on, don't get your hopes up... they've invented wifi? Well guess what, we will ban that. Thumb drives? You mean it would be convenient to transfer large files between the multiple air gapped systems we make you use? Well you might lose the thumb drive so no no no!

I think I've described on here how we dealt with email encryption so it might give you a feel for how we do things haha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Steakandchips posted:

USB wireless headsets are excellent and reliable.

When my soft phone remembers it exists and doesn't blast my phone audio out my main speakers, yeah.