Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
What?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

DACK FAYDEN posted:

it got shut down for money laundering, which it technically could have been

but also lmao it was the best idea for separating lazy people from cash

Some people might not have any other way of getting enough spare change. A lot of businesses don't make change because they maintain low cash levels and people may not have any banks in their areas.

Even then, banks aren't required to make change which is some goddamned bullshit if you ask me.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

SchnorkIes posted:

Do modern commercial grade washers suck?

LG washing machines are really good. the top 10 on consumer reports are all LG. got mine for 600 and am very happy with it. it's high efficiency which is nice too.

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

actionjackson posted:

LG washing machines are really good. the top 10 on consumer reports are all LG. got mine for 600 and am very happy with it. it's high efficiency which is nice too.

Yeah. Our work washing machines are smaller Electrolux commercial units and seem to last about 20-25 years of moderate to heavy use. I wish we would replace them like for like but the current management doesn't want to shell out for a $6000 washing machine and we destroy the household units. I think this laundry conundrum has colored my views of the heap of dead residential units I've seen.

oh hey maybe I will float buying some used/refurbs, we have a ton of parts and they are easy to fix until the drums rust out of shape: https://www.ebay.com/itm/W620-Wascomat-W-Series-Coin-or-Card-Solid-Mount-Front-Load-Washing-Machine-USED/274682536670

poll plane variant has issued a correction as of 06:54 on Mar 3, 2021

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
My wife bought a speed queen washer and dryer because the ones that were in this house when we moved in both stopped working completely within a month.

The guy at the local appliance store told her that all the employees had speed queens at home. I have no idea if that was actually true.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

The Nastier Nate posted:

My wife bought a speed queen washer and dryer because the ones that were in this house when we moved in both stopped working completely within a month.

The guy at the local appliance store told her that all the employees had speed queens at home. I have no idea if that was actually true.

he wasn't talking about appliances

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Iron Crowned posted:

:lmao:

I think that's the brand my parents just bought a few months ago, to replace their perfectly fine set because they're boomers and had to buy something new apparently.

https://www.reddit.com/r/assholedesign/comments/9tqexr/here_we_have_the_spider_arm_assembly_from_a_3/

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

he wasn't talking about appliances

Heyoooooooo yuk yuk yuk

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Even then, banks aren't required to make change which is some goddamned bullshit if you ask me.

When I worked at a bank, they hid behind some Patriot Act bullshit where very technically making change for a terrorist could be considered doing business with them. In reality, it was just a way to get people to open accounts, and keep ou6r people who couldn't afford to have one.

e: We also switched from "free money orders for account holders" to "one free money order a day, $2 each up to $500 after the first" also lost us a decent number of customers who relied on them to pay rent and utilities and who couldn't drive. Working at a bank was really great for seeing just how easy it is to profit from the suffering of the poor or infirm.

SpacePig has issued a correction as of 15:19 on Mar 3, 2021

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

Len posted:

When out lease was up we looked at another place owned by our current people and it's listing advertised all the same poo poo we have now, a bigger floor plan, and lower cost.

So we paid the fee and applied only to find out that no, the amenities are now in fact the same for that model and the washer and dryer hookups are in a shared community basement. "I can assure you we don't have a problem with people using others washers and dryers"

Heeeeyyyy you what now?

lol your loving country

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

NZAmoeba posted:

Heeeeyyyy you what now?

lol your loving country

Yep, leasing application fees can be hundreds of dollars in some places. And it creates zero obligation for the landlord to actually rent to you. It's just another way to fleece people for money who don't have any better options.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

At my last apartment the management lady was at least, uh, "nice" enough to tell us multiple times that if we have a criminal record of any kind at all to not even bother paying the $50 application fee because we'd be throwing it away and she feels bad when that happens lmao

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Kreeblah posted:

Yep, leasing application fees can be hundreds of dollars in some places. And it creates zero obligation for the landlord to actually rent to you. It's just another way to fleece people for money who don't have any better options.

Oh yeah and they didn't refund it after telling us that we applied based on faulty information either. They did offer to flip it to a different application in one of their other locations

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Also the application fee had to be a money order for some reason? Like not even cash was acceptable, only a money order, not really sure what the deal with that was. Everything after that (deposit, first/last month, rent, etc) was paid by bank transfer, just specifically this fifty bucks of application fee had to be a money order :confused:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Shame Boy posted:

Also the application fee had to be a money order for some reason? Like not even cash was acceptable, only a money order, not really sure what the deal with that was. Everything after that (deposit, first/last month, rent, etc) was paid by bank transfer, just specifically this fifty bucks of application fee had to be a money order :confused:

Cashiers Checks tend to be acceptable too. I think the idea is that they'll get actual money and not a bounced check. :shrug:

Also, good luck if you have an eviction on your record, even if it was dropped. You'll have to prove that it was dropped yourself, luckily most of that is in public record, but you might have to go to several different websites depending on where you live. Some places you can just download the .PDF, others you'll have to pay a fee.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Amazing the poo poo that Americans will put up with and not strike or revolt.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Iron Crowned posted:

Cashiers Checks tend to be acceptable too. I think the idea is that they'll get actual money and not a bounced check. :shrug:

I guess I'm more wondering why the hell I couldn't just give them $50 in cash and instead had to go to the post office with it first but who knows

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Failed Imagineer posted:

If I had to guess, just being okay with this kind of poo poo is part of the "if you rent you're inherently inferior" mindset we've been broadcasting for the last like 70 years

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

Shame Boy posted:

I swear there was also some idiot that did this for bitcoin too and was just walking down to the bank, taking out a roll of quarters and mailing them himself, but I'm pretty sure it happened a long-rear end time ago and I can't find it

Remember when the us was pushing dollar coins really hard and sold them at cost with free shipping over the internet. People would max out their credit cards on them for the points and just walk the coins down to the bank to pay off their balance leaving the government stuck with the shipping and card processing fees and no new coins actually in circulation

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Failed Imagineer posted:

Yeah holy poo poo if my landlord had wanted a fee just for applying to live in this shithole, I would have burned his house down around his ears.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Failed Imagineer posted:

I had to pay an application fee to apply to live in another apartment in the same building I already lived in.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Shame Boy posted:

They don't want to be sitting on 10x$50 in cash, and definitely not rent money in cash. Something really cool might happen.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
im pretty sure it's just as easy to steal those and get them cashed, but it is harder than pure cash I guess. Less obvious too. the real question is why didn't they just buy a card reader and charge you for the transaction fee like a shady gas station while they're at it. actually now that I say it, probably so they don't have to claim it as income lol

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Shame Boy posted:

I guess I'm more wondering why the hell I couldn't just give them $50 in cash and instead had to go to the post office with it first but who knows

Meh, it's probably some combination of procedural reasons, and deposit reasons. I've never lived in an apartment that would accept cash. Any form of check or money order was typically fine, but never cash.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Failed Imagineer posted:

have you seen our cops

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

indigi posted:

have you seen our cops

I have, they appear to be big wads of ham with high-powered automatic weapons. I also once talked an NYPD officer into giving me his spare hat so maybe they're not all super geniuses. Still have the hat.

Still, there's only so many of them, and america is by far the most armed citizenry in the world, doesn't seem impossible. People are always like "good luck bringing your handgun to fight off a police tank" but that's not really how a mass protest would work in America

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
we just did months of mass protests and cops were already maiming and running over peaceful demonstrators, this is all on video

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I met an NYPD officer at a rocket launch once who had to retire after 9/11 gave him horrible PTSD and significant health problems and he was real cool. We hung around after the launch and chatted, apparently he thought it was super hosed up how cops "gently caress with people all the time" now and explained how when he was on the force he'd do his best to not have to arrest people cuz it just meant he'd have to fill out more paperwork.

He then shared his real fuckin' good weed with me and talked about how all the cops did cocaine before going on patrol cuz the piss tests they'd randomly have to do were always administered at the end of your shift and it wasn't sensitive enough to detect cocaine if you did it several hours before.

I mean ACAB still but at least he was an ex-cop and gave me some real good weed.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Failed Imagineer posted:

I have, they appear to be big wads of ham with high-powered automatic weapons. I also once talked an NYPD officer into giving me his spare hat so maybe they're not all super geniuses. Still have the hat.

Still, there's only so many of them, and america is by far the most armed citizenry in the world, doesn't seem impossible. People are always like "good luck bringing your handgun to fight off a police tank" but that's not really how a mass protest would work in America

We saw what they'd do -- they bring in the military and private mercenaries to disappear people. There's many BLM protesters who were taken and never seen again.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Failed Imagineer posted:

Historically speaking, tanks are death traps in urban environments. The molotov cocktail was invented specifically for this purpose.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Failed Imagineer posted:

Still, there's only so many of them, and america is by far the most armed citizenry in the world, doesn't seem impossible.

The kind of people who own the vast majority of the guns are the kind of people who would line up next to the cops and use them to shoot protestors fyi.

Like it's always super uncomfortable to see someone with a bunch of SECOND AMENDMENT RIGHTS NO STEPPY PWEASE DEFEND AGAINST TYRANNY OF THE STATE etc. bumperstickers and then right below them is something like this:

Guys what do you think the military is, exactly?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

J/K I know, it's the thing that kills the brown people

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Failed Imagineer posted:

america is by far the most armed citizenry in the world

On a guns-per-capita basis, sure, but those guns are not at all evenly distributed. The vast majority of people in the US own exactly zero guns, and then you have the occasional nutjob or whatever who owns thousands because that's all they spend their money on outside of shelter and food, which pushes the average way up.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Armed protestors who never fired any rounds got called rioters and insurrectionists. Then the FBI arrested people for merely being in attendance (with the help of eager-to-doxx citizenry). What exactly does anyone think can be accomplished in this hellhole in the present term?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Kreeblah posted:

On a guns-per-capita basis, sure, but those guns are not at all evenly distributed. The vast majority of people in the US own exactly zero guns, and then you have the occasional nutjob or whatever who owns thousands because that's all they spend their money on outside of shelter and food, which pushes the average way up.

Also guns are real expensive and criminal records bar you from owning them. Guess what kind of people that favors!

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
https://twitter.com/hanamkim/status/1366982747454013440?s=19

Here's what the landlord looks like:

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

:sickos:

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
guns don’t really do anything. I know people like to fantasize about a pistol or at best a machine gun are going to make you a revolutionary but in the end they don’t do anything

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

CharlestheHammer posted:

guns don’t really do anything. I know people like to fantasize about a pistol or at best a machine gun are going to make you a revolutionary but in the end they don’t do anything

Most people I know with them use them as a security blanket. I'm not sure how having a gun locked up in another room is going to help if someone kicks in the front door while you're watching tv, but that's the plan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

Len posted:

Most people I know with them use them as a security blanket. I'm not sure how having a gun locked up in another room is going to help if someone kicks in the front door while you're watching tv, but that's the plan

I mean if you talk to people who are paranoid and not merely devoted murder fantasists their doors are built different too