Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I will say Bigfoot is far from the most interesting Cryptid. The Mothman, the Dover Demon, and that pterosaur that fought for the Union in the Civil War are all way cooler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

and that pterosaur that fought for the Union in the Civil War are all way cooler.

i havent heard of this one :o

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Basebf555 posted:

I'm still waiting for my ideal Bigfoot film where it's rated-R and Bigfoot is like 8 feet tall and weighs half a ton and rips people apart limb from limb.

Suburban Sasquatch?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Thunderbirds are rad. There's a few really evocative photos out there, even if one is just from a behind the scenes Hollywopd photo.

Iron Crowned posted:

The thing is, they find animals that were considered extinct on the regular. For the most part it's birds and bugs, so no one gives a poo poo.

People got pumped about the possibility of a thylocine being found just a few weeks ago. Cryptids are cool! But I personally find that the interesting thing to study about them is the history of the legend, how and where it was formed, who the people involved were, what their intentions and backgrounds were, etc. Bigfoot is interesting to me, but not because it's real. But because if you look at where the purported evidence came from you find fascinating stories of hucksters stealing mummified finger bones from monestaries and such. When you look into Patterson amd Gimlin there are human stories that are facinating. But there's not much fascinating about watching some redneck bumble around in the woods to me, other than examining who they are and why they're doing it.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Cryptids are a spectrum and stuff like Bigfoot and Mothman are on the opposite ends of it. So they're both interesting but with Mothman it's more like "oh it was a time traveling alien", whereas most of the discussion around Bigfoot is from a zoological perspective where the theories try to connect Bigfoot to other known species.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

youre wrong tho bc bigfoot is real and we made out

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
The mothman is a really creepy cryptid.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Basebf555 posted:

Cryptids are a spectrum and stuff like Bigfoot and Mothman are on the opposite ends of it. So they're both interesting but with Mothman it's more like "oh it was a time traveling alien", whereas most of the discussion around Bigfoot is from a zoological perspective where the theories try to connect Bigfoot to other known species.

I wish. Look up Skinwalker Ranch—bigfoot are also wrapped up in shapeshifting interdimensional nonsense.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I'm not really interested in slinging poo poo back and forth Kvlt!, but it genuinely seems like you were already pretty mad about the subject of people trying to "force" politics and stuff like that into conspiracy theories. I understand that my post came off as insulting a thing that you presumably like, and sure it was a snarky post, but I am giving an example that makes a lot of sense to me about how for many conspiracy theories, the literal story being discussed is just the tip of iceberg in terms of their overall meaning, cultural impact and stuff. I think Bigfoot is a great example of this, and that's not some kind of insane statement and I wasn't just doing a driveby shitpost to insult things you like. It kind of feels like you are seeking more hostility here than makes sense.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

feedmyleg posted:

You and me both. There have been some really solid bigfoot flicks, but I'd hardly call Boggy Creek the definitive cinematic representation.

For anyone who is interested in cryptids and folklore, I would highly recommend Monstrum:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=guiuXIMZ2vE

Huh, so the Until Dawn wendigos are the ones that most closely match what the native Americans originally described them as. I'm torn because I like the antler design for wendigos, but I wouldn't mind seeing more of the tall and thin with sharp teeth wendigo interpretations as well.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I agree with the bigfoot sucks guy. Oh great some dipshit primate living out in the woods. Amazing.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Martman posted:

It kind of feels like you are seeking more hostility here than makes sense.

Have you read any of Kvlt!'s posts before?

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

feedmyleg posted:

I wish. Look up Skinwalker Ranch;bigfoot are also wrapped up in shapeshifting interdimensional nonsense.

I've never heard of this, but this seems like a really ominous name to give ranch. Like, were you TRYING to get creepy stuff to happen there?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Martman posted:

I'm not really interested in slinging poo poo back and forth Kvlt!, but it genuinely seems like you were already pretty mad about the subject of people trying to "force" politics and stuff like that into conspiracy theories. I understand that my post came off as insulting a thing that you presumably like, and sure it was a snarky post, but I am giving an example that makes a lot of sense to me about how for many conspiracy theories, the literal story being discussed is just the tip of iceberg in terms of their overall meaning, cultural impact and stuff. I think Bigfoot is a great example of this, and that's not some kind of insane statement and I wasn't just doing a driveby shitpost to insult things you like. It kind of feels like you are seeking more hostility here than makes sense.

I'm not insulted, I just think the argument you made is incredibly self-centered. The fact that you couldn't even fathom why people might be interested in Bigfoot as a creature/zoological specimen means we're already at such odds that arguing any more about it isn't going to do anything other than result in a poo poo-slinging fest. I think your theory is dumb, I'm sure you think a lot of the theories I post in here are dumb. I don't really care, its a forum the entire point is to discuss our ideas. I tell people itt all the time I'm just generally an abrasive person I try to work on it but I really dont hate anyone itt, when I disagree with someone its because i think what they POSTED is dumb its not that I think they as an individual are dumb. Like I said, I've also dumped my fair share of idiotic ideas into this thread that I'm sure other people are like "Wow this guys an IDIOT"

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

feedmyleg posted:

I wish. Look up Skinwalker Ranch—bigfoot are also wrapped up in shapeshifting interdimensional nonsense.

I think I lost it in a move, but I found a CDR in a dumpster, circa 2008, that was a bunch of old episodes of Coast 2 Coast AM, and one of them was an episode from 2003 about Bigfoot.

Man, I miss my early 20's working from 5:30 pm to 4:00 am and listening to C2CAM for the last 4 hours of my shift.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Also UFOs, are real, because UFO stands for Unidentified Flying Object, these days, they're most likely drones

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I own a t-shirt with this on it

By Trevor Henderson, an artist who does a lot of cool spooky horror creatures

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Trevor Henderson rules

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
He tried to make the jackelope creepy but he failed, it still looks cute

I like the Mongolian Death Worm, that one feels like something where we could wake up one day and find out it's actually real.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I've never heard of this, but this seems like a really ominous name to give ranch. Like, were you TRYING to get creepy stuff to happen there?

the name comes from an old native American tribal dispute curse--one tribe enslaved another, so the enslaved tribespeople did the spiritual equivalent of a nuke, rendering the land psychically uninhabitable

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Iron Crowned posted:

Man, I miss my early 20's working from 5:30 pm to 4:00 am and listening to C2CAM for the last 4 hours of my shift.

Listening to C2CAM in the 90s is my conspiracy origin story. I'd sneak a pocket radio under my pillow and listen in way after my bedtime when I was 13. It was cool as hell.

Just, uh. Just don't revisit it if you want to keep it sacrosanct. The gross ultra-conservative bent is impossible to miss as an adult. But if you're curious, old episodes are available online if you hunt them down.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Mar 3, 2021

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

what is the cryptid with the onion shaped head in the top row?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Kvlt! posted:

what is the cryptid with the onion shaped head in the top row?

the Flatwoods Monster! another one like the Mothman that might just be a barn owl.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

FreudianSlippers posted:

The flatwoods monster is such an underappreciated cryptid. You really don't see it referenced much in popular culture, although it did manage to be the scariest part of Majora's mask:

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
If you're ever in West Virginia hit up the Flatwoods Museum. It's the quaintest little monster museum in the middle of nowhere. I want to write a horror movie inspired by it.

Basebf555 posted:

He tried to make the jackelope creepy but he failed, it still looks cute

I like the Mongolian Death Worm, that one feels like something where we could wake up one day and find out it's actually real.

Good video on it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsNHmf5jksA

Also while I'm here, part 1 of my favorite Nessie video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3MzM1gFDZs

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Kvlt! posted:

I'm not insulted, I just think the argument you made is incredibly self-centered. The fact that you couldn't even fathom why people might be interested in Bigfoot as a creature/zoological specimen means we're already at such odds that arguing any more about it isn't going to do anything other than result in a poo poo-slinging fest.
It's not that I can't fathom it being interesting. I think Iron Crowned's point is useful here:

Iron Crowned posted:

The thing is, they find animals that were considered extinct on the regular. For the most part it's birds and bugs, so no one gives a poo poo.
So I guess my question is, how many people fixated on Bigfoot are also genuinely interested in the other creatures and zoological specimens that are actually being discovered in the real world? With those there is actual information and evidence to discuss. Certainly I can muster a "and if Bigfoot were real that'd be cool too" but where else does the discussion go?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I work with kids and when I wear that shirt to work at least 25% of the day is spent explaining what each creature is to different kids.

It's fun. Especially the first time when I had to think up Icelandic translations for the names on the spot.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
It's difficult to have an in-depth conversation regarding cryptids because once you willingly ignore vast swaths of logical processing like empirical evidence and the scientific method, things really have nowhere to go but off the rails.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

FreudianSlippers posted:

Gotta love that the relatively obscure Loveland Frog is on there

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

The flatwoods monster is such an underappreciated cryptid. You really don't see it referenced much in popular culture, although it did manage to be the scariest part of Majora's mask:

I always thought it was weird how a relatively obscure and weird cryptid from the US caught on in Japan.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Martman posted:

So I guess my question is, how many people fixated on Bigfoot are also genuinely interested in the other creatures and zoological specimens that are actually being discovered in the real world?

Id say a good amount, myself included. It makes sense people interested in animals/zoology would be interested in Bigfoot.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Martman posted:

So I guess my question is, how many people fixated on Bigfoot are also genuinely interested in the other creatures and zoological specimens that are actually being discovered in the real world? With those there is actual information and evidence to discuss. Certainly I can muster a "and if Bigfoot were real that'd be cool too" but where else does the discussion go?

It's fun to discuss the evidence, the theories, and how likely they are to be true based on your opinion of the evidence. It's just fun to discuss and think about those possibilities, I don't know what else to tell you.

I don't think it's that hard to figure out why people don't get excited when a new species of ant is discovered. Finding out that a large mammal species went undiscovered for centuries is exciting because it reconfirms the fact that the natural world still holds many mysteries for us to discover. And that's what I want, I don't want to feel like we know it all and nothing new will ever be discovered.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

FreudianSlippers posted:

I work with kids and when I wear that shirt to work at least 25% of the day is spent explaining what each creature is to different kids.

It's fun. Especially the first time when I had to think up Icelandic translations for the names on the spot.

What's the one with the giant eyeball and all the little wings (?) in the bottom left corner? I know a lot of these, but that one is a mystery to me and it looks rad.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Hollismason posted:

The mothman is a really creepy cryptid.

The Richard Gere movie had a good soundtrack. I remember noticing my dad had the CD in the car once and having to re-evaluate my perception of his tastes in music.

(He also likes Billie Eilish.)

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Here's a handy guide

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Drunkboxer posted:

I always thought it was weird how a relatively obscure and weird cryptid from the US caught on in Japan.

IIRC Japan also apparently latched onto the classic Adamski-type UFO as "what UFOs look like"

The one that was faked from a surgical lamp

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

FreudianSlippers posted:

Here's a handy guide

Thank you!

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Basebf555 posted:

It's fun to discuss the evidence, the theories, and how likely they are to be true based on your opinion of the evidence. It's just fun to discuss and think about those possibilities, I don't know what else to tell you.

I don't think it's that hard to figure out why people don't get excited when a new species of ant is discovered. Finding out that a large mammal species went undiscovered for centuries is exciting because it reconfirms the fact that the natural world still holds many mysteries for us to discover. And that's what I want, I don't want to feel like we know it all and nothing new will ever be discovered.
To reiterate, my point wasn't purely to poo poo on Bigfoot as being unfun. My point was just contrasting with theories like "aliens are real and interact with Earth and the government covers it up."

And I'm saying if someone believes that aliens are real, it makes sense to me that the literal truth of this subject could occupy them for years. It would completely gently caress up their whole sense of the way the world works, what everything means, etc. Like, look at Dan Akroyd.

I'm not saying Bigfoot isn't fun at all, I just think it's funny that the subject can seem to give some people the same level of sustained fascination as a thing that would completely revolutionize our understanding of like, everything.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Phy posted:

IIRC Japan also apparently latched onto the classic Adamski-type UFO as "what UFOs look like"

The one that was faked from a surgical lamp

I adore how kaiju movies kept classic flying saucers alive far longer than Hollywood did.

I really wish more modern sci-fi films would just go with a really classic saucer design.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Yeah, I don't get cryptids either.