Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I think that Vision would also be justified in seeing he's been basically an emotional crutch for Wanda, and she needs to be able to both get her poo poo together and understand her powers on her own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

lmfao at anyone who thought this would be a serious introduction for FOX/X-Men stuff after Episode 6.

Like early on yeah we were all curious and it was a possibility, but even before Fietro it was very clear that they were focusing more on character work than worldbuilding (and thank gently caress for that). It's gonna be a fairly simple wrap-up I think. Biggest surprise is if Billy/Tommy get aged to teen level and/or if Vision stays alive.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

mind the walrus posted:

lmfao at anyone who thought this would be a serious introduction for FOX/X-Men stuff after Episode 6.

Like early on yeah we were all curious and it was a possibility, but even before Fietro it was very clear that they were focusing more on character work than worldbuilding (and thank gently caress for that). It's gonna be a fairly simple wrap-up I think. Biggest surprise is if Billy/Tommy get aged to teen level and/or if Vision stays alive.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I know people still grieving for loved ones who were really struck by that "what is grief if not love enduring?" line.

They are going to be absolutely furious if the show does not follow through on that.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

It's really not a bad line. Not super deep, but it certainly is the kind of thing meant to resonate with regular folks vs turbo nerds who want to pick at media for fun.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

The Notorious ZSB posted:

It's really not a bad line. Not super deep, but it certainly is the kind of thing meant to resonate with regular folks vs turbo nerds who want to pick at media for fun.

What's more, it's efficient. It uses a single sentence to communicate an idea that could have taken up several lines of dialogue. A longer dialogue would have wasted valuable screen time, which would've meant less time for other elements of the episode. Who wants to see less of Kathryn Hahn camping it up and more of two people sitting on a bed and talking?

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Alchenar posted:

I know people still grieving for loved ones who were really struck by that "what is grief if not love enduring?" line.

They are going to be absolutely furious if the show does not follow through on that.

They've already established that Vision can't survive outside of the Hex so it seems like there's a clear direction they're heading. Maybe there's a post-credit scene teasing that the real Vision might be somewhere inside of White Vision but nothing that they have to act on anytime soon.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I've seen some variation of the sentiment "Grief is just love with nowhere to go" passed around online for ages. I don't know why hearing it on a TV show suddenly drove everyone bonkers. :kiddo:

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Pththya-lyi posted:

What's more, it's efficient. It uses a single sentence to communicate an idea that could have taken up several lines of dialogue. A longer dialogue would have wasted valuable screen time, which would've meant less time for other elements of the episode. Who wants to see less of Kathryn Hahn camping it up and more of two people sitting on a bed and talking?
It's also a literal question. A jumping-off point. It's not meant to be the final word on anything.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

BrianWilly posted:

I've seen some variation of the sentiment "Grief is just love with nowhere to go" passed around online for ages. I don't know why hearing it on a TV show suddenly drove everyone bonkers. :kiddo:

To paraphrase that other dude-- "cause when they post Russian novel quotes on Twitter it only gets 5 views."

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

I don't think it was meant to be especially profound - remember, Vision was born yesterday (or the day before that, anyway) - but it was something Wanda needed to hear right then, and was the first step along the road to falling in love with him.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

XboxPants posted:

Why not? :colbert: I know this isn't something you're saying, but there's nothing wrong with kids having cute kid crushes. Googly eyes, blushing, stuttering. Maybe even hand holding. 14 is perfect "first crush" age and it would be incredibly cute.

There's this weird idea that kids being lgbt is like, inappropriate somehow and I hate it. Straight kids get plots like this all the time, Boy Meets World, Malcolm in the Middle with Cynthia, the boy next door on Sister, Sister who had a crush on the sisters when he was like 12, Six had a crush on Joey in Blossom, etc.

Come on, Disney, it's time to tell kids it's ok to be gay. Do iiiiiiiiit

That's what The Owl House is for.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

BrianWilly posted:

We're in the middle of a pandemic and people are depressed (and lost love ones). Hearing that line and the context and the way it was delivered by Paul lifted them up a bit.

And social media assholes gotta be insufferable assholes when they see the chance.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Desperado Bones posted:

We're in the middle of a pandemic and people are depressed (and lost love ones). Hearing that line and the context and the way it was delivered by Paul lifted them up a bit.

And social media assholes gotta be insufferable assholes when they see the chance.

I mean, this all started because someone who clearly has only watched genre movies their whole life said it was the greatest line in movie history and all screenwriters should look to it as the ur-example of their craft.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Gotta stick it to some Twitter randos.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

McSpanky posted:

I mean, this all started because someone who clearly has only watched genre movies their whole life said it was the greatest line in movie history and all screenwriters should look to it as the ur-example of their craft.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqwSWvNyzM4

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

McSpanky posted:

if I weren't a fan of the MCU I wouldn't be posting in this thread, but anyone who tries to frame anything in the franchise as some sort of incredible artistic achievement and high-water mark for film or television probably deserves some mockery tbh

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
I'm guessing there are people from Disney who would spot if anyone ever leaked anything, and fire everyone involved. Their legal team is next level. I think certain people have their phones tapped and stuff, it's mad, but probably necessary.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I’d rather not let the mega corporation have complete control over an employees life.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Barry Convex posted:

if I weren't a fan of the MCU I wouldn't be posting in this thread, but anyone who tries to frame anything in the franchise as some sort of incredible artistic achievement and high-water mark for film or television probably deserves some mockery tbh

Have people really been saying that? I've seen tons of people saying they personally were really moved, were bawling etc, but that's less of a comment on it being some kind of artistic achievement and more about the emotional state of the viewer. It's ok to be moved even by something simple, and admitting that doesn't make you some kind of simpleton.

And besides, poo poo doesn't have to be deep or profound or original or even well crafted to be true. Sometimes just hearing a few earnest words can hit you harder than a hundred volumes of classic poetry.

XboxPants fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Mar 3, 2021

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Invalid Validation posted:

I’d rather not let the mega corporation have complete control over an employees life.

Haha I got bad news for you about all employers

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

XboxPants posted:

Have people really been saying that? I've seen tons of people saying they personally were really moved, were bawling etc, but that's less of a comment on it being some kind of artistic achievement and more about the emotional state of the viewer. It's ok to be moved even by something simple, and admitting that doesn't make you some kind of simpleton.

And besides, poo poo doesn't have to be deep or profound or original or even well crafted to be true. Sometimes just hearing a few earnest words can hit you harder than a hundred volumes of classic poetry.

I have only seen a couple. There's the person of the tweet that started it all and some clown that tried to do a film expert flex.

Everyone else it's saying that's an ok line, or that they are grieving and it hit them hard,etc.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Caring about things is not cool, therefore it’s very important that we lose our minds over two or three people being weirdly fanboy/fangirlish as opposed to the majority who simply enjoyed a line with some emotional sincerity behind it.

Let this be your final warning, any of you who are thinking about caring about things now or in the future.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

McSpanky posted:

And that one person was very stupid. The reaction to that person has been way overblown, and seems to be moving on to anyone who likes the line now, which is equally stupid. It's a good line. People should let people like things.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

thrawn527 posted:

And that one person was very stupid. The reaction to that person has been way overblown, and seems to be moving on to anyone who likes the line now, which is equally stupid. It's a good line. People should let people like things.

it's a variant of the 'huh, nice freshman philosophy for IDIOTS :smuggo:' that gets trotted out whenever anything vaguely philosophical is in a piece of nerd culture

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

!Klams posted:

I'm guessing there are people from Disney who would spot if anyone ever leaked anything, and fire everyone involved. Their legal team is next level. I think certain people have their phones tapped and stuff, it's mad, but probably necessary.

depends what scale of leaks you're talking about; plenty of stuff has leaked for WandaVision alone, including Evan Peters' casting, leaked footage from Episode 6 that confirmed Peters' casting, a few very spoilery stills from episode 8 that leaked days early, etc.

Feige et al. do a pretty good job of keeping things under wraps overall, but for a big studio film or TV project, basically every stage of pre-production, shooting, and post-production, plus marketing on top of that, involves enough people that it's logistically impossible to completely prevent leaks from happening.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

!Klams posted:

Well if you are working for anyone with anything potentially sensitive you sign some pretty serious NDAs. Most people don't break them because they are not stupid enough to lose their career for talking about something that doesn't matter that much.

The Disney machine is pretty good at seeding fake stuff out there with speculation so if actual leaks come out no one can tell if it is real or fake, which is probably the best way to handle it really. You have enough people involved with all of this stuff that no matter how good you are at keeping a tight ship someone is going to slip up somehow because people make mistakes if nothing else.

You can't keep stuff quiet forever but you can muddy the waters and help hype/promote your product at the same time.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Djarum posted:

Well if you are working for anyone with anything potentially sensitive you sign some pretty serious NDAs. Most people don't break them because they are not stupid enough to lose their career for talking about something that doesn't matter that much.

The Disney machine is pretty good at seeding fake stuff out there with speculation so if actual leaks come out no one can tell if it is real or fake, which is probably the best way to handle it really. You have enough people involved with all of this stuff that no matter how good you are at keeping a tight ship someone is going to slip up somehow because people make mistakes if nothing else.

You can't keep stuff quiet forever but you can muddy the waters and help hype/promote your product at the same time.

Remember when Infinity War trailers came out and there were fake scenes and The Hulk was lined up with everyone in Wakanda? I wouldn't be surprised if like half of all reddit predictions were just interns at Disney running wild with permission from Disney to do so.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

sebmojo posted:

it's a variant of the 'huh, nice freshman philosophy for IDIOTS :smuggo:' that gets trotted out whenever anything vaguely philosophical is in a piece of nerd culture

yup it's that hybridized with the whole "Twitter is imagining that a person [or group of people] [that you don't like] exists, and then getting really loving mad at them" phenomenon.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

swickles posted:

Remember when Infinity War trailers came out and there were fake scenes and The Hulk was lined up with everyone in Wakanda? I wouldn't be surprised if like half of all reddit predictions were just interns at Disney running wild with permission from Disney to do so.

I swear I've seen two different versions of a video of one alleged leak. If it's a fake that was quite the effort from Disney.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
They weren’t leaks, but several trailers have edited out certain elements or whole characters to preserve spoilers. I remember there was someone (Pepper?) cg’d out of an Endgame trailer during the scene where Tony and Nebula arrive at Avengers HQ.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
The Infinity War trailers were devious.

They edited gems out of Thanos' gauntlet in Wakanda, edited Banner into the Hulk for multiple scenes, edited out other characters, and cut voice lines together to make it sound like a single scene.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I rewatched Iron Man 3 the other night and I thought it was both funny and lazy as poo poo that the climax of the film is Pepper getting injected with the magic drugs and punching a hole through an iron man suit and then Tony half mentions "fixing" her in the voice over a few moments later. Just let her have super powers and potentially explode, that's a lot cooler than her becoming a non character in future movies.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Iron Man 3 was made right at the apex of the Perlmutter shenanigans, where it was still a big "if" if Chris Evans and RDJ would even be in Phase 2 and 3, so my guess was they were just happy to slap a bow on it and ride it out.

They almost dismounted gracefully in Civil War with some throwaway lines about Pepper and RDJ breaking up but even for a turbonerd like me it was some "blink and you'll miss it" poo poo.

Then they just straight-up ignored it after in Spider-Man: Homecoming and no one cared.

I agree EXTREMIS Pepper was wasted

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Teek posted:

It’s not been established who is president in the current MCU. We know Obama was a one term president and replaced with Ellis. I’m guessing at some point someone is going to reference Trump, which would mean he followed Ellis and was another one term president as well. Seems like something which might be addressed in Falcon and the Winter Soldier.

mind the walrus posted:

Nah these properties are too international for Marvel/Disney to gently caress it up with explicit real world politicians and they know it. You'll get vague analogy characters that don't mean anything like Ellis at most.
Too bad though, it's a real missed opportunity to do the whole Nixon Serpent Society storyline

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The Infinity War trailers were devious.

They edited gems out of Thanos' gauntlet in Wakanda, edited Banner into the Hulk for multiple scenes, edited out other characters, and cut voice lines together to make it sound like a single scene.
Endgame trailers also edited a bunch of shots to hide Thor and Hulk's new looks.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Djarum posted:

The Disney machine is pretty good at seeding fake stuff out there with speculation so if actual leaks come out no one can tell if it is real or fake, which is probably the best way to handle it really.

you're right insofar as some leaks that later turned out to be legit have been ignored or dismissed at the time due to the volume of fake "spoilers" going around, but I'm not so sure that's Disney's doing as opposed to just fans being fans.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Barry Convex posted:

you're right insofar as some leaks that later turned out to be legit have been ignored or dismissed at the time due to the volume of fake "spoilers" going around, but I'm not so sure that's Disney's doing as opposed to just fans being fans.

Like I said in a past post, Grogu's name was leaked. Like extremely leaked by someone that if I remember claimed to have worked in the show. But the name is so silly that the person who posted the leak got mocked and ignored. I just like to imagine all the Disney people sighing in relief :v:

So yes, among the wave of click baits there might be a few truths out there.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

The_Doctor posted:

Until the sightings of the shiny man on the surfboard start appearing. But I'm guessing that's probably phase 6, if they ever get there. For some reason I expect either Eternals, Thor 4, or GotG 3 to have a small Galactus reference.

I really think that's FF2. Like, the first one is Doom, obviously, but what are they gonna do for 2? The fuckin' Mole Man? John Byrne's barely sublimated issues with dominant women Malice?

So I wouldn't be shocked if we get a CG image with no actor yet attached of the Surfer in the stinger for GOTG 2, then maybe the actual actor in the stinger for FF.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The MCU's never really been villain centric. Like here's the MCU headlining movie villains to date.

Abomination/Thunderbolt Ross
Iron Monger
Whiplash/Justin Hammer
Fake Mandarin/Whoever The Other Guy Was
The Destroyer/Loki
Malekith
Red Skull
Winter Soldier
Baron Zemo... sorta
Ronin
Ego
Killmonger
Vulture
Mysterio
Dormammu
Yellowjacket
Ghost?
Loki
Ultron
Thanos

Besides the Avengers films and a few a list villains scattered about its mostly B and C listers. The MCU is much more protagonist driven so I don't think the Fantastic Four need Doctor Doom out of the gates and Silver Surfer/Galactus right after. Doom might come in the first film because obviously everyone wants Doom. But based on MCU pattern it seems more likely they'd have a smaller villain as the main problem and build to Doom.