Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Gobblecoque posted:

Trying to get the hidden weapon spell from bell keeper cov is going to make me go hollow irl :negative:

I’m trying the same thing. If you’re on PS4/5 maybe we can try to cheese it together? Not sure if it works that way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
I'm on PC unfortunately. Still, I imagine two bellkeepers on the same platform and of similar enough soul memory could indeed boost each other. If both players equipped the ring and camped out at one of the areas they should be able to get a nice loop of invading one another.

I finally managed to get the required kills a little while ago. Almost half of the kills actually ended up being from the mad warrior (a red phantom-looking npc that shows up occasionally in belfry sol if you're in the covenant, killing him counts as though you were killing a trespassing player). When I started the run I rushed for the agape ring and covenant thinking that bell keepers should get a lot of action since it's accessible early game pvp during a multiplayer-focused event but got tired of the lack of activity. Feels like the best way to do it is to just play normally with the bell keeper ring equipped and when you hit belfry sol farm the mad warrior. A pain but at least being in that area means you'll attract invasions from other bell keepers for some extra pvp.

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time
10 bosses down and I haven't been invaded yet. Oh well. Powerstancing maces is pretty cool, I just wonder how much stamina I'll need to make a followup attack after the L2 triple attack.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

MonsieurChoc posted:

I started a powerstance build yesterday, not far yet. Will continue after work tonight.

What are cool weapons to powerstance?

Rapier and curved sword is an obvious and very powerful combo. The sweeping L1s cover all the weaknesses of the rapier. Late game ice rapier + blue flame on an int build is also incredibly powerful and versatile. Make sure you carry a shield as well and swap weapons and stances frequently for best effect.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3

Heithinn Grasida posted:

Rapier and curved sword is an obvious and very powerful combo. The sweeping L1s cover all the weaknesses of the rapier. Late game ice rapier + blue flame on an int build is also incredibly powerful and versatile. Make sure you carry a shield as well and swap weapons and stances frequently for best effect.
Yeah, I think I might actually take this advice. I still need to kill Flexile Sentry and get Straid, but my plan is to use rapier and warped sword.

So far: having a blast doing co-op. I've helped other players take down Last Giant, Pursuer, Fake Ornstein. I've also summoned some help, and that's been really cool too. I do wish that somebody would lay a summon tag down in No-Man's Wharf; I'm having no fun there at all!

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
No Man’s Wharf is not much fun for regular white phantoms because of how long the level is if none of the shortcuts are open, but it’s ideal for small soapstone shades. More people should use the small soapstone overall. I throw a small sign down pretty much every time I die and it never fails to get me summoned and restored to humanity within a few minutes.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Finally got invaded a couple times yesterday! I used up all my red orbs invading other people too. And my bluebro ring was finally confirmed working and I got to help repel a couple invaders!

I think I just need to get through the areas quicker. I still need to finish the Iron Keep and then unlock the door to the Shaded Woods et al.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3

skasion posted:

More people should use the small soapstone overall. I throw a small sign down pretty much every time I die and it never fails to get me summoned and restored to humanity within a few minutes.
Sound advice. I'll give this a shot.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Yeah, I try to never pop an effigy and just small soapstone my way back to human. I started a new character the other day and have done Dragonrider, Last Giant, Pursuer, Flexile Sentry and Ruin Sentinels so far, playing around with different spears since I've never really done a two handed spear run in this game before. It has been pretty active on the summoning front! I'm playing through always in human state.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I finally figured out how to make the cracked blue eye orb work: just keep trying and trying until you finally find a sinner to invade. I ended up invading the same guy twice in bastille and sinners rise, the second time he didn't even see me coming and i just kicked him off the bridge to the lost sinner fight

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

skasion posted:

More people should use the small soapstone overall. I throw a small sign down pretty much every time I die and it never fails to get me summoned and restored to humanity within a few minutes.

Can't emphasize this enough. It also refills estus, durability of equipped items, and spells attuned on successful completions (either soul gain/timer expired or boss defeated), so even if you don't need to restore your humanity it can bee a good way to top yourself off.

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!
Last playthrough of this I did was back in...August, I think? Ran a Dark build throwing Dark Orbs with my left hand and Silverblack Spear in my right. Thinking of doing a Twinblade run this time. Never given that a go before.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Blech, the base endgame is just not designed for punching. Endless bad hitboxes and enemies with too much poise.

They made Aldia's Keep uniquely unpleasant and stupid and even hosed with Dragon Aerie for some reason. I like the changes to the Dragon Shrine, at least. Also throughout that whole gauntlet I got invaded (and inevitably killed) three different times by extremely suspicious tryhard invaders, joy.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

John Murdoch posted:

Blech, the base endgame is just not designed for punching. Endless bad hitboxes and enemies with too much poise.

They made Aldia's Keep uniquely unpleasant and stupid and even hosed with Dragon Aerie for some reason. I like the changes to the Dragon Shrine, at least. Also throughout that whole gauntlet I got invaded (and inevitably killed) three different times by extremely suspicious tryhard invaders, joy.

If you haven't yet, it's very worthwhile to dive into eleum loyce to grab the bone fist. Aside from being an extremely fun and unique weapon it also solves the poise and range issues that the caestus sometimes runs into.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Gobblecoque posted:

If you haven't yet, it's very worthwhile to dive into eleum loyce to grab the bone fist. Aside from being an extremely fun and unique weapon it also solves the poise and range issues that the caestus sometimes runs into.

I'm already using it. :(

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Holy hell the bell keepers are super active. Getting summoned left and right to protect the princess from foul invaders.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I've been running around belfry luna, almost made it through iron keep so i can start running around sol too :getin:

I've been doing amazingly at pvp so far. I think it's a combination of newbies trying the game for the first time + people not quite expecting a punch build + my stone ring adding 30 poise damage per punch

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
I was kicking rear end in Belfry Sol today as Crimson the punch maiden. Much respect to the people that don't heal, but also stunlocking people to death when they stop to heal is great.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I feel bad for the hollows in the gutter :(

e: otoh I'm lmaoing at how pathetically easy it is the second time around. I didn't realize you could break the poison spitting statues until I got stuck behind some in black gulch, so I went through the entire gutter dodging them and it was unnecessarily stressful

Son of Thunderbeast fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Mar 3, 2021

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
Oh you poor dear. F's in the chat.

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

The only (tiny) downside to the small white soapstone is you can't get sunbro medals, you have to be summoned with a big golden summon sign. Other than that, yeah the small soapstone is where it's at.

Pouring one out for Medda Carple the caestus wielder who just died attempting the Lost Sinner, wasn't able to save him from his own fists.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

the approach to the sinner bossfight is still a stupid stupid design. I hate that drat water and the mooks that guard the elevator

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

definitely so, and SotFS edition added a Flexile Sentry down there just for the hell of it? We just killed that guy a couple areas ago in no man's wharf. at least in NG+ they add back the original DS2 limp-demons with poor AI that will fall down the elevator shaft hole, in addition to our flexible friend. I suppose I should be glad it's not poison-inducing swamp water on top of everything else.

that area is always frustrating, and can be downright difficult if you try and go at a very low level or bonfire ascetic it for the flame weapon spell. Those are reasons why I thought I'd put my sign down there to help people for this event, but I haven't had too many takers yet.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

iirc the NG+ version is even worse with some wargs or whatever abominations. whoever thought that'd be cool can fall down a well.

what do sorcery/hex casters do for melee stuff? Do you rely solely on spells and/or a rapier, or do you spec partially into dex for some more advanced dex weapons?

double nine fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Mar 3, 2021

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Are everyone playing on Playstation? I looked at the stats on Steam ( https://steamdb.info/app/335300/graphs/ ) but there's no significant increase in number of players there due to this event.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Got summoned in Aldia's Keep and got to witness the host get eaten by all three mimics in the same room lmao. They started to catch on by the third one but didn't move away when the mimic woke up. :kiddo:

Double Plus Undead
Dec 24, 2010

double nine posted:

what do sorcery/hex casters do for melee stuff? Do you rely solely on spells and/or a rapier, or do you spec partially into dex for some more advanced dex weapons?

Dark infused roaring halberd. :v:

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

I'm trying to go the other route though Heide's Tower but I've already beaten the Dragonrider and all the small knights with no shield's are wrecking me. It's really tough that as well as there being extra enemies, it's hard to not end up fighting a small and big knight at the same time.

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!

double nine posted:

iirc the NG+ version is even worse with some wargs or whatever abominations. whoever thought that'd be cool can fall down a well.

Dark Silverblack Spear is your friend with a Dark build

OutofSight
May 4, 2017

double nine posted:

Katanas with Dark infusion. Only katana-hexers can provide the true DS2 tryhard experience.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

ymgve posted:

Are everyone playing on Playstation? I looked at the stats on Steam ( https://steamdb.info/app/335300/graphs/ ) but there's no significant increase in number of players there due to this event.

PS4 has been extremely busy, helps that the game was dropped to $10 recently

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.

double nine posted:

Fire-infused varangian sword worked well for my battlemage.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Sir Tonk posted:

PS4 has been extremely busy, helps that the game was dropped to $10 recently

I got invaded about 4 times in an hour last night as a really high level (around 180? Can’t remember my soul memory at the moment but end-game for sure) at the bell towers on PS5 so there’s definitely a bunch of activity there.

I started this version on PS5 with a clean slate with the goal of getting the platinum and the only trophies I’ve got left are the “get all the spells” ones, and so far the only spells I have left to get are the ones that you can only buy in NG+3, the ones that can be picked up in the DLC, and the sunbro covenant reward one. That’s going to take the longest to get. I’ll probably get more action there from actual players when I jump into NG+.

I’ve played this game a bunch of times but I’d never done the darklurker stuff before. I did it last night and it’s really cool. Highly recommended.

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Mar 3, 2021

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!
You know what always makes me feel good? Wrecking the Pursuer in that first optional encounter. Took a few more hits than I would have liked but I've gotten too used to him from my last playthrough.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Draga posted:

You know what always makes me feel good?

Bustin makes me feel good.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Draga posted:

You know what always makes me feel good? Wrecking the Pursuer in that first optional encounter. Took a few more hits than I would have liked but I've gotten too used to him from my last playthrough.

haha my first playthrough the only optional Pursuer I took on was the one in Iron Keep, purely for the blade ring. This time around the fists have given me so much confidence that I've been running around killing every pursuer I can find

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Pursuer gave me so much hell first time around, this time I'm happy to see 'im since it generally means he's here to deliver some twinkling titanite to me.

I still struggled with the Smelter Demon arena one. I don't know why. I also get hit by the goddamn curse stab way too often.

On the flipside, I saved the first one for the end of Forest, summoned, and managed to catch him at exactly the right place and time as he was distracted to nail the final blow with a ballista and felt like a badass.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
The Smelter Demon arena one is noticeably tougher than the others. I'm not sure if it's higher HP or defense or both (or my imagination), but my punches definitely took way less of his health bar than the others.

Son of Thunderbeast fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Mar 3, 2021

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Draga posted:

Yeah it’s really good. Also really good that they decided to trigger a bunch of hollows to wake up and starting beating on you while you bask in the glory of killing him :twisted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

The Smelter Demon arena one is noticeably tougher than the others. I'm not sure if it's higher HP or defense or both, but my punches definitely took way less of his health bar than the others.

Yes, same exact experience.

I'd say the arena might have something to do with, but I clowned on the one in that tiny secret area in the Bastille, so...