Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

They don’t really go exploring in Babylon 5 though, and when they do, it’s just to the planet they’re orbiting, so there’s not as much novel danger.

But I will concede that consoles explode much less often on Babylon 5 when there’s an emergency or an attack, which seems like the way to go.

:v: "Sir, uhh... we're almost done building the bridge, but I just have to ask ... uh... are these live explosives wired into the overload protection really necessary?:

:cop: "nah, I guess you can skip them."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

I had a good laugh a few evenings ago when I noticed during the current rewatch something I'm sure many others have noticed before. Master strategist Sheridan has basically one move.

Hide some Nukes. Blow it up.

Got a problem with Minbari Black Star? Hide some Nukes. Blow it up.
Got a problem with the Shadows and Za'Hadum? Hide some Nukes. Blow it up.
Got a problem with being ignored in the final showdown between Vorlons and Shadows? Hide some Nukes. Blow it up.

Even the Shadow vessel he takes out with the jump gate is effectively the same plan.

Its silly, but in a fun way.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Sedgr posted:

I had a good laugh a few evenings ago when I noticed during the current rewatch something I'm sure many others have noticed before. Master strategist Sheridan has basically one move.

Got a problem with being ignored in the final showdown between Vorlons and Shadows? Hide some Nukes. Blow it up.

Even the Shadow vessel he takes out with the jump gate is effectively the same plan.

In a recent interview he says that on set his character was called John 'Nukem' Sheridan. :laffo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqk0UfvRFUs

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Why mess with success?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

The older he gets the more I wonder why nobody has cast him as Bill Clinton.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Sedgr posted:

You forgot Thirdspace.

Probably the reason some people don’t like S5 is because Sheridan is mostly trying to keep things from blowing up.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

"A bomb is made to explode. That's its meaning. Its purpose. Season 5 is empty because you spent it trying to stop the bomb from becoming. And for who? For what? You know what a bomb is, Captain Lochley, that doesn't explode? It's a Byron soliloquy, buddy. "

VinylonUnderground
Dec 14, 2020

by Athanatos
I feel like the Byron arc could have been really solid with Ivanova. As gross as JMS's conception is, she would be dealing with heartbreak from Markus and then there is her whole relationship to telepathy where she hates the Psi Corp for understandable reasons and hates/fears the part of her that is a telepath. The betrayal of Byron being a Psi Cop could have been a great gut-punch. Calling Lyta an "escape hatch" is giving S5 more planning than it deserves but they tried to make it work and it failed.

They should have had the Psi Corp break off post Civil War. That creates some interesting tension -- you've got a bunch of Clark loyalists, hell, the people who made the Clarkist regime looking for independence. These are people you absolutely do *not* want running their own government and they have a legitimate grievance and good reasons to ask for independence. Plus creating a small Clarkists state helps with the deClarkification of Earth. But then you've got an entrenched Clarkist state. When Realpolitik and idealism grind against each other is when B5 is at its melodramatic best. It would have also showcased Sheridan out of his depth which would have played very nicely with the Centauri arc.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

This guy has cataloged the differences between the remasters and original versions of the B5 episodes.

https://b5remasterissues.wordpress.com

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I'm pretty sure Byron was supposed to be like two or three episodes at most but because of the whole season 4 and season 5 snafu that is stretched out

VinylonUnderground
Dec 14, 2020

by Athanatos

CainFortea posted:

I'm pretty sure Byron was supposed to be like two or three episodes at most but because of the whole season 4 and season 5 snafu that is stretched out

His actual runtime in S5 is pretty short. It just feels so much longer.

Gul Duhkat was in like 20 episodes of DS9.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

VinylonUnderground posted:

https://twitter.com/realGulDukat/status/1360395426453684224

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

As I've mentioned previously,

MrL_JaKiri posted:

In Refa's first appearance (Geometry of Shadows) he asks about Londo wiping out the Narn colony on Quadrant 37 in Chrysalis:

Meanwhile, I'm always stunned how few episodes (what I would consider) the major guest characters Morden, Bester, Refa and Neroon are in. Morden's in 12 (13 if you could Day of the Dead), Bester's in 12, Refa's in 6 and Neroon is in 5. Although Na'toth's only in 8 :v:

VinylonUnderground
Dec 14, 2020

by Athanatos

MrL_JaKiri posted:

As I've mentioned previously,

Yeah but all those characters are delightful. Their presence looms much larger on the screen.

Byron is .... not delightful.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Shadow tech sighted:

https://twitter.com/ElectricBanned/status/1363372866360799242?s=20

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Need to dub it with the Shadow Scream.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
The Babylon 5/Mad Max crossover we never knew we needed.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/straczynski/status/1365053405421588485

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

JMS posted:

just to be on the safe side, I changed the title of an upcoming episode *away* from "Sheridan Gets His Dick Cut Off."
... What episode do you think that was?

VinylonUnderground
Dec 14, 2020

by Athanatos
Minbari don't just have sharp bony protrusions on their heads.

You know what they say: Centauri might look like a squid but the Minbari got the beak.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Vavrek posted:

... What episode do you think that was?

Pretty much has to be Intersections in Realtime, don't you think?

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Minbari don't just have sharp bony protrusions on their heads.

You know what they say: Centauri might look like a squid but the Minbari got the beak.

Dentata Vagina?

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hello I am watching this for the first time and I'm up to episode 2. Can I read the episode guide listings on http://www.midwinter.com/lurk/countries/us/eplist.html

While I finish episodes or will I end up spoiling stuff for myself?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I suggest you do not read the lurker's guide until you're done with the series.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Empress Brosephine posted:

Hello I am watching this for the first time and I'm up to episode 2. Can I read the episode guide listings on http://www.midwinter.com/lurk/countries/us/eplist.html

While I finish episodes or will I end up spoiling stuff for myself?

Episode names are generally not spoilers at all, although sometimes there might be a key word that indicates an episode might be kind of action-y or whatever.

The rest of the Lurker's guide is spoilery as gently caress

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Sweet thanks for the heads up

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ConfusedUs posted:

Episode names are generally not spoilers at all, although sometimes there might be a key word that indicates an episode might be kind of action-y or whatever.

The rest of the Lurker's guide is spoilery as gently caress

Going into the individual pages will spoil stuff though right?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

You won't get a lot of spoilers, but you won't get nothing either. You might be interested in the blind watch thread, which is a more newbie-friendly experience.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Empress Brosephine posted:

Going into the individual pages will spoil stuff though right?

Oh yeah. Maximum possible spoilers.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Sweet thanks all. I'm going to migrate to the blind watch thread

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Grand Fromage posted:

I suggest you do not read the lurker's guide until you're done with the series.

Yeah, the Lurker's Guide claims to be spoiler-free if you read the entry after watching the episode, but the authors are not nearly as clever as they think they are and wind up spoiling a ton of poo poo in the guise of "questions" and whatnot.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Timby posted:

Yeah, the Lurker's Guide claims to be spoiler-free if you read the entry after watching the episode, but the authors are not nearly as clever as they think they are and wind up spoiling a ton of poo poo in the guise of "questions" and whatnot.

I hope this is a joke, but just in case, the questions were compiled from the usenet discussions as the episodes were being aired. Those are literally the things we didn't know on the first viewing of each episode.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

ultrafilter posted:

I hope this is a joke, but just in case, the questions were compiled from the usenet discussions as the episodes were being aired. Those are literally the things we didn't know on the first viewing of each episode.

I was referring not to the Usenet postings but their own "observations" that they put into each episode entry, basically going, "Tee hee, this will be important, wonder if X might lead to Y?" and it's spoilery as poo poo.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Same deal. Those were compiled from the usenet discussions that happened while the show was airing. They weren't written by people who had foreknowledge of what was coming, and they get a lot of stuff wrong. They do get some stuff right, but JMS wanted people to be able to guess what was coming. He said a lot about that in a post that's quoted on the guide pages for Messages from Earth.

If you don't want to see any analysis of the show beyond what you could come up with on your own, you should avoid the guide pages. But that's not the way a very large part of the fanbase (myself included) watched the show in the 90s, so don't go claiming that it's necessary for getting the full experience.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I'm glad JMS didn't mind people guessing some things from context clues instead of being obsessed with the blindsiding twist like a lot of later showrunners, which leads to obnoxious things like last-minute swerves that make no sense because the writer saw one post out of thousands blindly guess the big surprise, or lame pseudo-deep non-endings that hide a lack of commitment or direction behind a façade of mysterious allegory.

VinylonUnderground
Dec 14, 2020

by Athanatos
JMS loves it when people pick up on his foreshadowing and he loves it when people are genuinely surprised (and then can catch how all the pieces were set on rewatch). That's just good writing.

Smug writing so the audience is put on rails and knows where the train is going used to be high artistry. It got replaced by surprising the audience for the sake of surprising the audience.

B5 remains a transitional show and this is one of those areas that really highlights it. From trains to cars to car crashes.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I recently finished rewatching Angel (finishing Season 4 just as Charisma Carpenter finally came forward with how Whedon treated her over that season, so that was just fantastic :barf:), and the sheer amount of times when twists come out of nowhere is staggering. It really makes you appreciate B5 for actually having things planned out with twists and turns instead of somebody thinking "hey, wouldn't it be cool if ACTUALLY this is what really happens?" and then running with it with no room for directed hints to come before because there's no plan, no bigger picture to start with, just get people emotionally attached to characters and then arbitrarily mess with them and kill them off.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

There's something to be said for writing that introduces changes based on how the characters develop or what narrative opportunities open up as the show goes along, but as you say, that makes it impossible to lay the groundwork for very much. The 2005 Battlestar Galactica did ok with that kind of improvisation for a while, but they were way too open and messed some stuff up, especially at the end.

VinylonUnderground
Dec 14, 2020

by Athanatos

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

There's something to be said for writing that introduces changes based on how the characters develop or what narrative opportunities open up as the show goes along, but as you say, that makes it impossible to lay the groundwork for very much. The 2005 Battlestar Galactica did ok with that kind of improvisation for a while, but they were way too open and messed some stuff up, especially at the end.

Just like how Heroes and countless other shows never really recovered from the writer's strike, Battlestar never recovered from that one season (3, I think?) where the SciFi channel demanded they make a bunch of episodic episodes to attract new viewers and not has as much of an overarching plot.

Granted, it probably would have fallen apart anyway since they clearly had no idea where they were going but that season really ripped the mask off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I've never heard a satisfactory answer to why, if the whole BSG story was based around "the constellations we all know today can only be seen from Earth, so the star map they find brings them to what can only be our Earth", they could then do the NUCLEAR FAKEOUT and send them to some OTHER Earth which is really our Earth

If this was because they were listening to Usenet posters who said the story was too predictable, then fffffuuuu