Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
I still maintain that eating chocolate is more fun when it is egg shaped. Perhaps not quite as fun to justify the full price hike, mind

e: Fourteen is a play by Alice Gerstenberg. This one-act social satire was first performed October 7, 1919 at the Maitland Playhouse, 332 Stockton Street, San Francisco, on a bill with three other one-act plays.[1] The San Francisco Chronicle remarked that it "gayly lampoons the question of dinner entertainments".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

namesake posted:

Can't believe people are exciting about buying boxes which are about 20% chocolate in them by weight. Absolute scam, just buy mini or creme eggs or thin chocolate sheets.

hmm would I rather buy a creme egg for 50p or a Lion egg with 2 bars for.... also 50p

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

namesake posted:

Can't believe people are exciting about buying boxes which are about 20% chocolate in them by weight. Absolute scam, just buy mini or creme eggs or thin chocolate sheets.

Remember that celebrations pack that was dearer than if you just bought the bars separately.

A relative of mine used to own a sweet shop upto the 90s, and she would only get easter eggs that came with free mugs.
Don't see those much these days, just cardboard wastes of space.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I am sitting next to a dib dab mug I got in an easter egg some years ago.

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

happyhippy posted:

Remember that celebrations pack that was dearer than if you just bought the bars separately.

A relative of mine used to own a sweet shop upto the 90s, and she would only get easter eggs that came with free mugs.
Don't see those much these days, just cardboard wastes of space.
didn't realise shops stocked Keith now

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

Oh gently caress I could sell .303 caliber chocolate to commemorate war christmas.

Full of caramel with a primer made of pop rocks.

Camrath get on this and I PROMISE to stop forgetting to buy your lovely fudge

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jakabite posted:

Tagline: Bite the bullet.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

So am I right in thinking that budget was probably as good or better than anything Starmer's Labour would offer, making Labour completely pointless as a party? Because it seems like it.

Also seemed like Starmer had gently caress all to say in response too. When you're bleating that the governing party intends to raise taxes now and lower them before an election you truly have absolutely nothing of substance to say.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The public, we are assured, does not like to hear people criticizing the government.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

I just looked at the EU migration numbers and there's been some serious exodus in the last couple of months.

About 15% of the EU population in Britain IIRC.

I'm on my phone so I can't (be bothered to) post the graph from Financial Times where I read about it but it's something alright.

Financial Times posted:

About 481,000 of those departing were born in the EU, reversing an influx that began in 2004. The UK’s EU-born population is now about 3.1m.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

jabby posted:

So am I right in thinking that budget was probably as good or better than anything Starmer's Labour would offer, making Labour completely pointless as a party? Because it seems like it.

Also seemed like Starmer had gently caress all to say in response too. When you're bleating that the governing party intends to raise taxes now and lower them before an election you truly have absolutely nothing of substance to say.

Hmmm Starmer is boxed in yes but I don't think the budget is necessarily better than anything Labour under him could have offered. The various support schemes are being extended but without any thought about structuring their tail off and just having a plan better than 'whack another 6 months on the end date' is something I could expect from Starmer.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

jabby posted:

Public services to be cut by a further £4bn. Much as I detest Starmer, I don't think Labour would have done that.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

jabby posted:

I thought Starmer's point was good when he said Sunak got through his whole speech without once mentioning the NHS or social care or really unemployment, but it didn't land. Probably because he said in in his godawful moaning voice.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
£1bn destined for helping 45 towns - 40 of the towns have Tory MP

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/mar/03/sunaks-1bn-of-town-deals-will-nearly-all-go-to-tory-constituencies

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

peanut- posted:

I thought Starmer's point was good when he said Sunak got through his whole speech without once mentioning the NHS or social care or really unemployment, but it didn't land. Probably because he said in in his godawful moaning voice.

This is a great point - he really does just sound like a moaning middle manager having an ineffectual whine about whyyyy is no oneeee following the ruuuuuuulessss guyyyysssss. I'm a sensible adult listen to meeeeeeeeeeeee. The fact that liberals ever thought he was their big hero (and still do) is an absolutely brutal indictment of them not just as political commentators/participants, but as human beings. Anyone willing to follow someone like that has no business with anything.

Fudge update: I asked my partner to order me some for my bday. Then I threadsearched Camrath's name for any potential goon specials and realised today was last orders day :'( Indecisive like Kieth

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

To be fair that does suggest they need help.

I know its not fair and is infact bad but today I'm lolling at my discovery that rishi sunak is such a midget and so obviously cares about it.

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

Ewan is tired of his reputation as a serious Simon. I'm more of a jokester than you people think. My real name isn't even Ewan, that was a joke it's actually MARTIN! LOL fooled you again, it really is Ewan! Look at that monkey with a big nose, Ewan is so random! XD

Breath Ray posted:

the lrb pointed out the US stimulus, scaled down to UK size, would be £200bn. rishi is promising a much less adequate amount even if you include furlough and terrific ideas like eat out to help out

one option open to starmer is to say it's not a big package and we should be borrowing a lot more rather than raising taxes. another is to say we should be being bolder and going further without going into specifics. but realistically i dont think 10% care what labour's response is
Those figures seem based on a very crude fraction of UK GDP compared to US GDP and then dividing the US $2tn by that fraction. It doesn't take into account at all what periods that spending is over or where that money is going (in the US 25% is in the form of support to large corporations, for example).

And I think you have the UK figures wrong. Amount UK has spent so far on Covid response far outstrips £200bn (SR2020 last Nov quoted £284bn by that point and that doesn't take into account this latest budget). Furlough + self employed is itself now at around £100bn with the new extension, which like for like (using the same crude GDP comparator fraction) is twice that of the US equivalent for "support to individuals" - and in the US that includes all of the stuff like benefits payments whereas that UK figure doesn't include the UC uplift so in reality the disparity is even bigger.

And you have to look at what the support actually is. In the UK you get government underwritten furlough at 80% pay, or if self-employed 4 x grants of around £7,000. In the US, people have received a single $1200 cheque, and that is it. No job security (they can still - largely - get fired for anything at any time), no eviction protections similar to our 6 month notice period extension (except a few progressive states), etc etc.

Say what you like about the budget and whether or not it should go further or focus on different areas, but it is hugely misleading to suggest we have fallen short of what the US is doing.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Plymouth has been designated a free port, does that mean everything is free and i can set up a time reversal doohickey like in Tenet?

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

jabby posted:

You're in a hypothetical reality where Starmers Labour is the government so can't really make that direct comparison, but yeah you aren't wrong based on what the parties are saying the tories are actively helping the working class more than the labour party actively would.

It's all hypothetical and isn't that useful but it's loving wild that the Opposition is saying 'we should be less competent AND less enthused about government measures during a literal black swan event' and are obviously getting absolutely zero realpolitick benefit from it. The labour right are such useless nasty scum.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Lungboy posted:

Plymouth has been designated a free port, does that mean everything is free and i can set up a time reversal doohickey like in Tenet?

iirc stability will drop gradually to a maximum of -3 over the course of a year, but market access will improve correspondingly which has a disproportionate effect on your market share in the Sector. as all goods are now legal - including harvested organs, war materiel and recreational drugs - you can now collect tarriffs off them.

mind you, the Luddic Path might get interested, so i'd be wary there

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Which could be a problem because the UK hasn't had any heavy industry in the past several decades so the pathers normally aren't a problem.

If the hegs want to come and confiscate starmer for being a gamma level AI though that'd be fine by me.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Are the labour right actually worse than some tories? It seems like it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean, yes, hodge exists.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Ewan posted:

Those figures seem based on a very crude fraction of UK GDP compared to US GDP and then dividing the US $2tn by that fraction. It doesn't take into account at all what periods that spending is over or where that money is going (in the US 25% is in the form of support to large corporations, for example).

Say what you like about the budget and whether or not it should go further or focus on different areas, but it is hugely misleading to suggest we have fallen short of what the US is doing.

Not disagreeing with your central point, but keep in mind the US didn't have a strict national lockdown either.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Yeah but I mean the prevailing argument for a long time has been anyone but the tories. I'm honestly starting to have doubts.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
https://twitter.com/leftist_agenda/status/1367243565613547522?s=19

No lies detected

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

More people need to say gently caress you Paul Mason.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

I tolerated him really up until the 2020 leadership election based on him being bad on NATO and the EU but also one of the only mainstream journalists not to immediately declare Corbynism Stalinism.

He's since declared that continuity Corbynism is Stalinism so he can get in the bin.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If there is one thing that makes me feel good about myself it is that I cannot even begin to imagine what the appeal of developing terminal centrist dad brain is, but apparently a sizeable chunk of people are desperately looking for an excuse to contract it.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Jakabite posted:

I love the idea, but I’m not sure fudge would be firm enough to hold its shape outside the mould for something as small as a .303

Now a .50BMG, maybe..

Incidentally I’m currently pricing out moulds- if I were to offer solid fudge Easter Eggs, would people be interested?

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Camrath posted:

I love the idea, but I’m not sure fudge would be firm enough to hold its shape outside the mould for something as small as a .303

Now a .50BMG, maybe..

Incidentally I’m currently pricing out moulds- if I were to offer solid fudge Easter Eggs, would people be interested?

It depends, do you do a bundle with some insulin shots

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

namesake posted:

I tolerated him really up until the 2020 leadership election based on him being bad on NATO and the EU but also one of the only mainstream journalists not to immediately declare Corbynism Stalinism.

He's since declared that continuity Corbynism is Stalinism so he can get in the bin.

I liked his early Brexit stance that the EU is poo poo and Lexit would be good but not with the Tories in control of it, but that seems to have been a stuck clock/poo poo person having good point moment for him.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Camrath posted:

Now a .50BMG, maybe..

How big are we talking?

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Maugrim posted:

How big are we talking?

From what I can tell, the moulds are hen-egg sized.

How that will work out in terms of weight I won’t know till I can eggsperiment.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
:dadjoke:

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Camrath posted:

Now a .50BMG, maybe..

yes, and if it had chopped nuts in i'd buy the whole stock

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Ooh, nutty fudge. That does sound nice. Chocolate fudge with ground hazelnut (or whatever other means you can feasibly use to make fudge hazelnutty) seems like it could be a big hit.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

iirc stability will drop gradually to a maximum of -3 over the course of a year, but market access will improve correspondingly which has a disproportionate effect on your market share in the Sector. as all goods are now legal - including harvested organs, war materiel and recreational drugs - you can now collect tarriffs off them.

lol i was thinking the same thing, literally only just bought starsector a few weeks ago and it’s insanely good, even as an alpha it beats most sci-fi games out of the water

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

peanut- posted:

"Well I think we need to be very clear, the government is not only right to do everything they've done, but I've also been very naughty and need to be punished. Call me dirty. Call me a dirty boy Mr Dacre, I want to be your piggy little hog."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

You just know that if the Tories ever decriminalised or legalised drugs, Labour would oppose it.

E: oh, gently caress. https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/mar/04/brexit-northern-ireland-loyalist-armies-renounce-good-friday-agreement

Lungboy fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Mar 4, 2021