Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Gervasius posted:

In regards to first making a cover and then writing a novel around it - didn't Golan-Globus do something similar? Made a bunch of posters for action movies in the 80s and then quickly made a movie about it if someone showed interest in it?

They may have done it too but it was pretty common during the height of the cheapo B movie to print up a bunch of posters, take them around to theaters and whichever poster got the most sales would be the movie they would make.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
Speaking of James Herbert, wow The Fog did not age well. Or maybe it just sucked from the beginning. It's mostly long descriptions of rape with a special digression for :nms: a pedophile schoolteacher who has the children whip him and cut off his dick with hedge trimmers. Also a lesbian who tries to drown herself, changes her mind at the last second, and is then trampled into the sea by waves of people behind her. Just disgusting, lurid garbage.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

packetmantis posted:

Speaking of James Herbert, wow The Fog did not age well. Or maybe it just sucked from the beginning. It's mostly long descriptions of rape with a special digression for :nms: a pedophile schoolteacher who has the children whip him and cut off his dick with hedge trimmers. Also a lesbian who tries to drown herself, changes her mind at the last second, and is then trampled into the sea by waves of people behind her. Just disgusting, lurid garbage.
Looking that up, it legit reminds me of Garth Ennis' CROSSED series (don't look it up, intentionally vile edgelord :nms: trash that's deliberately trying to be as :nms: as possible) without the self-awareness. Like CROSSED makes my stomach turn, but it knows exactly what it wants to be and it is committed to that vision, and that vision is of ultra-trash. This Herbert novel just looks like a lovely Boomer trying to work out his psychosexual baggage.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

well why not posted:

My mum is rewatching friends during COVID (she’s millennial at heart, somehow) and is begrudgingly becoming a David Schwimmer fan. She loathes his character but has realised that he’s by far the best actor on the show and does what none of the others can do, every episode. I totally agree, the guy has amazing graphics comedic sense, despite being the “not funny” character. Matthew Perry’s the “funny one” but his main job is to sit back and be deadpan or sarcastic. Schwimmer is working hard every episode.

My dad came to the conclusion that Schwimmer's the only one who realized his character is an rear end in a top hat and owns it well.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

mind the walrus posted:

Looking that up, it legit reminds me of Garth Ennis' CROSSED series (don't look it up, intentionally vile edgelord :nms: trash that's deliberately trying to be as :nms: as possible) without the self-awareness. Like CROSSED makes my stomach turn, but it knows exactly what it wants to be and it is committed to that vision, and that vision is of ultra-trash. This Herbert novel just looks like a lovely Boomer trying to work out his psychosexual baggage.

I forgot all about CROSSED and I do not appreciate you reminding me. It's not Samuel R. Delany "Hogg" bad but... it's not great.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

well why not posted:

My mum is rewatching friends during COVID (she’s millennial at heart, somehow) and is begrudgingly becoming a David Schwimmer fan. She loathes his character but has realised that he’s by far the best actor on the show and does what none of the others can do, every episode. I totally agree, the guy has amazing graphics comedic sense, despite being the “not funny” character. Matthew Perry’s the “funny one” but his main job is to sit back and be deadpan or sarcastic. Schwimmer is working hard every episode.

Ross being physically humiliated is as funny as the show gets

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

packetmantis posted:

Was that the one where the guy hopped up on psychosis-fog got so pissed off at his car stalling that he raped the gas tank? And somehow that made the car work again?

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
I don't remember that but I would definitely believe it's in there.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Desert Bus posted:

I forgot all about CROSSED and I do not appreciate you reminding me. It's not Samuel R. Delany "Hogg" bad but... it's not great.

Please god let Dhalgren hold up thats my fav book ever

...to wound the autumnal city

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

well why not posted:

Yeah, Schwimmer really kills it as Ross. So many other actors playing similar characters, like Dave from Happy Endings or Ted Mosby on HIMYM, just flounder and reveal what a poo poo rear end character that "romantically-longing gutless everyman" archetype is.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Based on other things I've seen him in and from the few interviews I've read from him, Josh Radnor seems every bit as pretentious as Ted.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

verbal enema posted:

Please god let Dhalgren hold up thats my fav book ever

...to wound the autumnal city

Oh no "Hogg" is AWFUL but it's still a masterpiece of literature. Dhalgren is still amazing imho. You're all good. The in-dark answered with wind.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

CHIMlord posted:

My favourite for that (of the TOS eps I've seen) is "Metamorphosis" where Kirk says, "The idea of male and female are universal constants." (The modern biological view is that sexual reproduction only evolved about a billion years ago, i.e. the last quarter of Earth's history, and the male-female sexual anatomy familiar to humans probably only evolved hundreds of millions of years after that) Also, the weird energy being is a woman, and you can tell because the universal translator gives it a woman's voice.

The truly amazing part is that Kirk and Spock call the space explorer guy a backwards racist for not wanting to get with an energy being. It really highlights how the show has hilarious horse-blinders when it comes to sexism but is very aware of social issues generally.

Also there's the subplot with the lady diplomat who's a mean castrating bitch because she chose to have a career instead of a family, and then on her deathbed she laments that she was so busy being a diplomat that she never had time to be a woman. And then of course the energy being fixes everything for both of them by inhabiting the lady diplomat's body and driving it around as a skin suit so that the explorer guy will be attracted to her. Also in doing so she gives up her omnipotence so that she can grow old and die alongside the man who was disgusted with her until she changed herself to satisfy him.

I don't know if we have to spoiler a show from 50 years ago, but I only saw the episode for the first time a few years ago when I went in blind, and I really enjoyed the experience of staring at it mouth agape in shock from beginning to end. That one and the one where they team up with Lincoln might be my favorite viewing experiences in all of Star Trek.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
It's splatterpunk, and probably has a lot of problematic stuff in it, I don't remember, but a bunch of dumped toxic waste mutates plants giving them some sort of consciousness and the plants decide to take revenge on humanity. Thought it was rad when I first read it.

Looking it up, I just learned the authors also made a soundtrack album for it. Lots of Garth Marenghi vibes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FK5VY8zERsg

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Desert Bus posted:

Oh no "Hogg" is AWFUL but it's still a masterpiece of literature. Dhalgren is still amazing imho. You're all good. The in-dark answered with wind.

Huzzah! God that book is a trip.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Baba Yaga Fanboy posted:

Yeah, Schwimmer really kills it as Ross. So many other actors playing similar characters, like Dave from Happy Endings or Ted Mosby on HIMYM, just flounder and reveal what a poo poo rear end character that "romantically-longing gutless everyman" archetype is.

THere's a lot of characters where the point of this character is "THIS IS FUNNY BECAUSE THIS CHARACTER IS A SHITHEAD" where the character is juuuuuuuust likeable enough that you can miss that point. Rick is the current obvious example, but as much as I like the series, Scott Pilgrim was my poster child for that for a while.

I mean, for the love of god, the first thing we learn about him is that Scott Pilgrim is dating a high-schooler

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Alaois posted:

i probably worded that very poorly because what i meant is Richard Ayoade thinks that he himself is a poo poo actor even when he's actually trying

I'm not convinced that Richard Ayoade ever says anything in public that isn't in character.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

verbal enema posted:

Huzzah! God that book is a trip.

Find and read "Hogg" and uhhh..... there's a reason it took like two decades to get published.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Sunswipe posted:

I'm not convinced that Richard Ayoade ever says anything in public that isn't in character.

Even his real meltdown on Big Fat Quiz Of The Year is in character its just who he is and it owns

https://youtu.be/Zmzxz6JMBnU

Beware Jimmy Carr's laugh

Desert Bus posted:

Find and read "Hogg" and uhhh..... there's a reason it took like two decades to get published.

Im deffo gonna check it out

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Neito posted:

THere's a lot of characters where the point of this character is "THIS IS FUNNY BECAUSE THIS CHARACTER IS A SHITHEAD" where the character is juuuuuuuust likeable enough that you can miss that point. Rick is the current obvious example, but as much as I like the series, Scott Pilgrim was my poster child for that for a while.

I mean, for the love of god, the first thing we learn about him is that Scott Pilgrim is dating a high-schooler

No we don't? Scott is enough of a pathetic idiot to let a high schooler date him, but he does not specifically pursue or prey on Knives. She approaches him and he's enough of a doofus to say yes and not stand up for himself.

Scott is not a good person, but he's not the kind of bad person "he's dating a high schooler" says he is.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

verbal enema posted:

Even his real meltdown on Big Fat Quiz Of The Year is in character its just who he is and it owns

https://youtu.be/Zmzxz6JMBnU

Beware Jimmy Carr's laugh

Im deffo gonna check it out

I hope you can handle pedophilia, coprophilia, rape, and much much more it's... a hard book to read. It's Delany so it's obvs good but... wow?

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Desert Bus posted:

I hope you can handle pedophilia, coprophilia, rape, and much much more it's... a hard book to read. It's Delany so it's obvs good but... wow?

Woo boy uhh we'll try i guess lmao

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

verbal enema posted:

Woo boy uhh we'll try i guess lmao

I've been on the internet for like 25 years and nothing I have seen or read adequately prepared me to handle Hogg.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Arivia posted:

No we don't? Scott is enough of a pathetic idiot to let a high schooler date him, but he does not specifically pursue or prey on Knives. She approaches him and he's enough of a doofus to say yes and not stand up for himself.

Scott is not a good person, but he's not the kind of bad person "he's dating a high schooler" says he is.
I'm really not sure "At least the 23 year old dating the 17 year old didn't prey on her" is the scathing rebuttal you think it is.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean this whole argument is stupid as it’s not like the relationship is played as good.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
i just read the wiki blurb on Hogg and

"As described in the book Inventory by The A.V. Club,[4]

The plot features a silent pre-adolescent boy (called only "cocksucker") sold into sexual slavery to a rapist named "Hogg" Hargus, who exposes him to the most extreme acts of deviancy imaginable.

— Chuck Klosterman, The A.V. Club, 2009

This

this will be a read

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Ah so it’s a deadwood revival

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Neito posted:

I'm really not sure "At least the 23 year old dating the 17 year old didn't prey on her" is the scathing rebuttal you think it is.

We've talked about it a fair bit in this thread for exactly this reason. Scott is absolutely a jerk and a terrible person, but the actual mechanism through which things happen with Knives underscore his character growth. When he fixes his poo poo, his apology to Knives for being a bad friend and not interacting with her well is legitimate and truthful because he is actually being accountable for what he actually did.

If you expect Scott to apologize for grooming Knives, you've misread the story and are projecting, so you're going to also misread his attempts to fix things later.

Scott is not a good person.
His relationship with Knives is not good, equitable, appropriate or healthy.

But it's important to realize WHAT that relationship actually was to have sympathy for Scott when you're actually narratively supposed to (in books 5 and 6) as he fixes how he hosed up everything.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Neito posted:

Yeah, it's pretty telling that the exact people you expect show up to defend the same skeevy poo poo every time like clockwork. Scott never makes good for all the harm he's done and his friend group never really takes him to task for it (and another of his bandmates gets Knives drunk in a back room to make out while she's still underage and the whole crew just memory holes it).

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

verbal enema posted:

The plot features a silent pre-adolescent boy (called only "cocksucker") sold into sexual slavery to a rapist named "Hogg" Hargus, who exposes him to the most extreme acts of deviancy imaginable.

This

this will be a read

Uh, I think buying this book would get me put on some sort of a list. Yuck.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Arivia posted:

We've talked about it a fair bit in this thread for exactly this reason. Scott is absolutely a jerk and a terrible person, but the actual mechanism through which things happen with Knives underscore his character growth. When he fixes his poo poo, his apology to Knives for being a bad friend and not interacting with her well is legitimate and truthful because he is actually being accountable for what he actually did.

If you expect Scott to apologize for grooming Knives, you've misread the story and are projecting, so you're going to also misread his attempts to fix things later.

Scott is not a good person.
His relationship with Knives is not good, equitable, appropriate or healthy.

But it's important to realize WHAT that relationship actually was to have sympathy for Scott when you're actually narratively supposed to (in books 5 and 6) as he fixes how he hosed up everything.
I really want to meet the version of me you're arguing with, because he sounds like he has a much more in-depth and interesting view of Scott Pilgrim as a series than me, who said "Scott Pilgrim is a bad guy, and the first thing we learn about him is that he's dating a high schooler, and it bothers me that people don't see that".

IF you want me to be more clear, then fine, I apologize for not saying "Scott Pilgrim is an rear end in a top hat, except at the very end, when he redeems himself by fixing his life and growing the gently caress up. So, like, pages 85 through 247 of Volume 6."

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Gervasius posted:

In regards to first making a cover and then writing a novel around it - didn't Golan-Globus do something similar? Made a bunch of posters for action movies in the 80s and then quickly made a movie about it if someone showed interest in it?

I first heard about them in the late 70s. There was a 60 Minutes segment on them at a film festival. They would rent a room and on one wall they would put up a giant whiteboard. The left column would be a list of potential movie titles (none of which existed). They would have columns next to each one for potential investors to pledge money towards their production. Once the movie had enough money, they would commission it.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

verbal enema posted:

This

this will be a read

You cannot even imagine what a read it is. Cocksucker drains a pus filled infected penis via blowjob at one point.

Desert Bus has a new favorite as of 01:32 on Mar 4, 2021

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

Desert Bus posted:

You cannot even imagine what a read it is. Cocksucker drains a pus filled infected penis via blowjob at one point.

And that's a good thing?

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Gaunab posted:

And that's a good thing?

I think Desert Bus is just preparing my mind for this book

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Neito posted:

I really want to meet the version of me you're arguing with, because he sounds like he has a much more in-depth and interesting view of Scott Pilgrim as a series than me, who said "Scott Pilgrim is a bad guy, and the first thing we learn about him is that he's dating a high schooler, and it bothers me that people don't see that".

IF you want me to be more clear, then fine, I apologize for not saying "Scott Pilgrim is an rear end in a top hat, except at the very end, when he redeems himself by fixing his life and growing the gently caress up. So, like, pages 85 through 247 of Volume 6."

Cool, we're good!

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Gaunab posted:

And that's a good thing?

Samuel R. Delany is a legitimately amazing author who did a lot of good breaking ground for other minority authors but reading Hogg will legit scar anyone's brain.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

verbal enema posted:

I think Desert Bus is just preparing my mind for this book

Yeah it's not a situation where you want to go in blind even if you love Delany (as you should).

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
does it count as aging badly if it was edgy poo poo nobody should read from the beginning

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Toshimo posted:

Yeah, it's pretty telling that the exact people you expect show up to defend the same skeevy poo poo every time like clockwork. Scott never makes good for all the harm he's done and his friend group never really takes him to task for it (and another of his bandmates gets Knives drunk in a back room to make out while she's still underage and the whole crew just memory holes it).

Literally no one defending it, seems this argument was a misunderstanding but go off