Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

lol owned

sexpig by night posted:

I do wanna say I'm sorry for getting aggro on you specifically when I could spend this energy cyberbullying Joe Biden

no please dont apologize I find it a relief to see others have the same reaction i did seeing those posts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Ruzihm posted:

There's a good Keynesian argument for means-testing stimulus, as income increases the % of income going towards consumption activity declines. The point of the checks are to stimulate consumer demand. If someone just puts it in a savings account it's not really doing anything useful.

https://scholar.harvard.edu/files/kdynan/files/200052pap.pdf

In short,

baby brain

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Too Many Birds posted:

dems literally campaigned their senate majority on getting these checks out and now they are shaving away that money as much as they possibly can.

meanwhile i guarantee there is language in this bill that is going to give israel new sniper rifles they will use on pregnant palestinians.

Remember the day of the runoff when Joe literally said 'we're going to get $2000 out the door day one' and then as soon as they were over said 'I actually meant $1400 and you're an idiot if you disagree'?

Cool time!

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

sexpig by night posted:

there's not a good Keynesian argument for loving anything you dipshit, demand based economics are literal fairy tale bullshit

Give me money that expires then if that is the issue I will buy something.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

sexpig by night posted:

the dollar is the MOST fake money, too! We run global finance! We can do whatever we want!

People have real problems with understanding that money is fake, laws are fake, countries are fake, pretty much everything you can't touch is fake bullshit made up to impose order on chaos, generally for the benefit of a few at the expense of the many, and none of it is intrinsic to the running of the universe. We could choose other principles to run the world on, we just have to battle the entrenched who profit from the current arrangement.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

lol

https://twitter.com/DavidBa69494891/status/1367153967734681610

edit:

lmao

https://twitter.com/BudgetBen/status/1367214937009971202

spacemang_spliff has issued a correction as of 22:37 on Mar 3, 2021

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Thoguh posted:

Give me money that expires then if that is the issue I will buy something.

yea if the issue really is this dumbass worldview then give me a check that auto-explodes in four months or something Inspector Gadget style! I'll spend that poo poo, I'll buy so many Steam games I don't need! Just give me my drat money!

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Ruzihm posted:

The point of the checks are to stimulate consumer demand

this is not the point of the checks

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Lol everyone with a DSA gang tag is a dipshit.

ah i posted too close to the sun and my wax keyboard melted

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

sexpig by night posted:

there's not a good Keynesian argument for loving anything you dipshit, demand based economics are literal fairy tale bullshit

Supply based economics are also literal fairy tale bullshit.

Theres a conclusion here that should be easy to reach

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012
My methods are guaranteed to fail 100% of the time. Here is why this is a good thing (1/183)

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

what if we accidentally give covid relief to one of those guys who became a millionaire by not eating avocado toast and making coffee at home

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
dsa democratically succing always

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Nix Panicus posted:

clearly the answer is we need both sides of this debate to swap off the reigns of power every few years until a perfect middle forms.

Any year now...

ohrwurm
Jun 25, 2003

Judakel posted:

dsa loving sucks poo poo from a sick dog's rear end

just haven't cared enough to remove the tag because lol at caring about anything

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Judakel posted:

the highest hope i had for national dsa was when the bernie or bust resolution passed.

That hope did not last long unfortunately lol. national is a disgrace.

baltimore's local is pretty goddamn good though, I'll rep dsa for their sake.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

Ruzihm posted:

If the choice was "start the phase out at 50k" or "speed up the phase out", I'm picking speeding it up every time.

People making over 80k do not need this as much as people making less

Imo, if someone's upset over this its because they are specifically in the small chunk that is now getting excluded. Welcome to having a high income, we shouldn't have emergency aid tailored to us.

Why would that ever be the choice? Where are the people who are voting against a 1.9 trillion dollar relief bill but are all in on a 1.78 trillion dollar relief bill? Also, all of this stupid means testing is based on pre-COVID income. So some number of the 80k folks are probably jobless now.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Ruzihm posted:

the highest hope i had for national dsa was when the bernie or bust resolution passed.

That hope did not last long unfortunately lol. national is a disgrace.

baltimore's local is pretty goddamn good though, I'll rep dsa for their sake.

yea some locals are still legit but I was also incredibly sad to see the national form of the party just happily become a vestigial growth of the DNC

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
lmao remember when oakland dsa came out against an affordable housing proposition because it was a tax on homeowners?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Substandard posted:

Why would that ever be the choice? Where are the people who are voting against a 1.9 trillion dollar relief bill but are all in on a 1.78 trillion dollar relief bill? Also, all of this stupid means testing is based on pre-COVID income. So some number of the 80k folks are probably jobless now.

seriously I need to see SOMEONE drill these fuckers on this. Ask every single moderate Dem 'did you at any point ever even hint that you'd not support a 1.9 trillion bill, but were fine with a 1.7 one?' We all know the answer is no but I want loving record proof that this fantasy land poo poo is a complete lie.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Substandard posted:

real answer: It's only a choice because the democrat party is a wing of capital. therefore, labor has no power in the senate

succ answer: circular logic about manchin's existence in the senate being justified because the party machinery won't be permitted to support a primary opponent who would actually fight on behalf of labor.

Dixon Chisholm
Jan 2, 2020

sexpig by night posted:

yea some locals are still legit but I was also incredibly sad to see the national form of the party just happily become a vestigial growth of the DNC

I saw DSA best described as the Dems' youth outreach org.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
if we had any actual press in this country 'getting to the bottom of who made them add means testing in this bill meant to save lives' would be priority 1 for every outlet. Like, journalists getting into loving fist fights over who can get the scoop level.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Dixon Chisholm posted:

I saw DSA best described as the Dems' youth outreach org.

pretty much yea, DSA in most places are where the cool and slightly more diverse youth ends of the DNC go 'hey M4A is cool but you know what's REALLY cool? Medicare for all who want it'

In the Colosseum
Jan 2, 2008

They train young men to drop fire on people. But their commanders won't allow them to write 'fuck' on their airplanes because it is obscene.

Nix Panicus posted:

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Adjectivist Philosophy
Oct 6, 2003

When you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you.

tmfc posted:

yeah this guy seem legitimately mentally unwell

Kinda like the episodes of cart narcs where people pull out a gun, takes the fun out of it :(

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

QUEER FRASIER
May 31, 2011

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

I haven't actually calculated how much $2,000/month would cost until now. Assuming the same means-testing as the House bill, (2000/1400)*$450b * 18 months = $11.574 trillion

one million (1x10^6) deaths prevented * ten million dollars (1x10^7) per person = $10 trillion ($1x10^13)

an oversimplification, because it's also about preventing mass homelessness and poverty, but the magnitude sounds about right to me

galenanorth has issued a correction as of 23:26 on Mar 3, 2021

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
WHERES MY MONEY

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

the checks are in the mail. your children will get that $400 dollars in 2041 as promised

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
it's my money and I want it now!!!!

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

HallelujahLee