Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy

anatomi posted:

It would be so nice if the portals were all networked and you could just pick your designation on the map.

If I could do coding things I’d make a mod where every portal you drop leads to a neat pocket dimension like the back hallways in Matrix Reloaded where you can pick what portal to exit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

There's a mod that makes portals function with a dropdown menu so you can select any destination from any portal. Maybe kind of cheaty? But not really anything you couldn't do yourself with a lot of spare portals and renaming things.

Also on the subject of mods, I've been using the Valheim plus mod and found it pretty handy. It's got a bunch of options that range from smoothing out inconveniences up to full on cheats. I found the option to increase the capacity of the kiln and smelter pretty useful. Just slam stacks of ore in and go do other things, instead of having to babysit it. I also turned on endless torches, because running around the base with a pile of resin just to keep the place looking nice is a pain. On the more cheaty side, I bumped up the stack sizes on items and reduced the weight of everything a bit across the board. I'm sure I've cheated not only the game but also myself, but at least it doesn't take so many drat trips hauling ore around.

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

LETTIN THE CAT OUTTA THE BAG
Diggin the hell outta this so far. The swamp grind could use a little tuning so it's a little less tedious with the RNG and high requirements on Iron. I haven't seen a single turnip, only found 3 crypts (one of them literally had no rooms) in hours of sailing and exploring , and I'm not looking forward to Bonemass, but since its EA, this is pretty likely to change in the future.

It'd be cool if displayed trophies frightened/enraged mobs. It'd be cool to get some functionality on this rage-fueled display after they hosed up my carrot patch:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Woah look at this high roller viking flaunting their bronze nail stockpile.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
If you set up a bonfire by the entrance, it prevents most graydwarf/grayling invasions.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

30.5 Days posted:

Hello.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3958782&userid=105848#post512780507

The only thing not included is the weird shear strength stuff on stone. Stone blocks seem to take a massive penalty if they aren't supported from either the bottom or two sides. Pillars don't have this problem, you can stick a corner onto like a iron beam or whatever, then use that to support a block, or an arch and use the arch to support a block. This means that it can be tough to build a row of stone suspended in the air even if the path length is working in your favor, because for it to work in your favor you have to build the entire row first (since during the construction process, some blocks will only be contacting one other block and are liable to break). Some iron scaffolding can help with this.

I am glad I checked back on the thread and saw this post. Thanks!

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
I’m ok with torches needing a resource to burn, I just wish there was some way to say “allocate resources from xyz chests to fuel torches” and have to run around manually filling them.

That opens a whole rabbit hole though of requiring a UI to define which chests are a target for auto-allocating resources, as it would suck even more to discover I’m out of resin because my torches burned through all the stock in my base.

I’d settle for a happy medium or torches lasting forever, but taking significantly more resources to build.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
I get real sick of the constant greydwarves when I'm trying to just chill and build poo poo, but at the same time there's nothing funnier to me than clubbing a greyling and launching it like 30m down a hill

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Same. That boot impact hits so good.

I love how much the environment is just as much of a boss as the actual bosses. I found a super sweet base for a fortress, but there's a huge ravine between my current outpost and it. I could load everything into a cart and haul it waaaaay out of my way, and probably get it all there in a few trips, or I could take the time to build a bridge across the span to rival the New River Gorge Bridge. Am I building the bridge? You bet I am!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

I get real sick of the constant greydwarves when I'm trying to just chill and build poo poo, but at the same time there's nothing funnier to me than clubbing a greyling and launching it like 30m down a hill

Do it with your foot, it doesn't fling them as far but it's far funnier to me.

BOOT TO THE HEAD

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
I wish there was a way to save blueprints for simple structures and floorplans. It's annoying to build the same little lean-to for every workbench, or a temp shelter. Let me just hit one key to build whatever I have saved as a blueprint, maybe at a slightly higher materials cost and with a size restriction. Trading blueprints would be cool too.

Can something like this be modded in?

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

BobTheJanitor posted:

There's a mod that makes portals function with a dropdown menu so you can select any destination from any portal. Maybe kind of cheaty? But not really anything you couldn't do yourself with a lot of spare portals and renaming things.

Also on the subject of mods, I've been using the Valheim plus mod and found it pretty handy. It's got a bunch of options that range from smoothing out inconveniences up to full on cheats. I found the option to increase the capacity of the kiln and smelter pretty useful. Just slam stacks of ore in and go do other things, instead of having to babysit it. I also turned on endless torches, because running around the base with a pile of resin just to keep the place looking nice is a pain. On the more cheaty side, I bumped up the stack sizes on items and reduced the weight of everything a bit across the board. I'm sure I've cheated not only the game but also myself, but at least it doesn't take so many drat trips hauling ore around.

I grabbed the Discard Inventory Items mod to let me disassemble gear. I couldn't decide which black metal shield pattern I wanted.

isaboo posted:

I wish there was a way to save blueprints for simple structures and floorplans. It's annoying to build the same little lean-to for every workbench, or a temp shelter. Let me just hit one key to build whatever I have saved as a blueprint, maybe at a slightly higher materials cost and with a size restriction. Trading blueprints would be cool too.

Can something like this be modded in?

Already has, looks like: https://www.nexusmods.com/valheim/mods/5

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
A way to get minor creeps to gently caress off permanently would be great, yeah. Now that's actual tedium to me, I don't mind corpse runs or transporting metal the rough way since that's part of the game, but when creeps are basically tickling you then they're legit wasting your time.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

I switched to the pole arm/halberd for my primary weapon because it’s super satisfying to round up as many of the fuckers as you can and pop them all with one spin attack

creamcorn
Oct 26, 2007

automatic gun for fast, continuous firing
so i made the iron battleaxe, and i'm struggling intensely to do much of anything with it. it works really well against greydwarves but i have real issues fighting trolls/draugr with it. they're hard to stagger with the secondary, and will just club you if you don't stagger them first.

does it get easier to stagger with when you upgrade? i'm ok being suboptimal relative to shield/one hand, but it's really rough rn.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

creamcorn posted:

so i made the iron battleaxe, and i'm struggling intensely to do much of anything with it. it works really well against greydwarves but i have real issues fighting trolls/draugr with it. they're hard to stagger with the secondary, and will just club you if you don't stagger them first.

does it get easier to stagger with when you upgrade? i'm ok being suboptimal relative to shield/one hand, but it's really rough rn.

The two-handed axe takes some serious getting used to. I used it for a while, but I don't think the moveset is very good. Pretty satisfying when you make contact, though.

You have to learn to parry with it, then step forward and swing. The parry with the axe knocks enemies back, which makes it hard to get a hit in with the stagger. Heavies like Greydwarf Elites also do not stagger long enough to get that parry bonus. I ended up ditching it for Frostner and don't regret it. The Iron Sledge is way more effective at the "gently caress stuff up with a heavy weapon" thing.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Two handed weapons kind of suck right now. Their movesets are not great, they take tons of stamina to use and shields are way stronger in comparison so that doesn't help.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
The Atgeir at least offers something none of the one-handed weapons can match: range.
It's a pretty decent weapon, I had one slotted from when I got the first bronze one, all the way to the end.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Broken Cog posted:

The Atgeir at least offers something none of the one-handed weapons can match: range.
It's a pretty decent weapon, I had one slotted from when I got the first bronze one, all the way to the end.

Best part is aggroing a bunch of boars all at once, then spinning & launching them 50 feet away.

Also it never fails to amuse me when wildlife literally explodes into meat, especially when it's a 2-star deer and there's suddenly a pile of hides cascading off each other to the ground.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I used an atgeir to fight trolls for a while, it works quite well. Also the sweep is good for if you get surrounded. Mostly though it takes too much stamina to use very reliably.

The range is definitely the selling point, you can hit big stuff (like trolls) more easily and you don't have to get in as close with them.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

The spear I just don't get. It was useful a useful ranged option for 5 minutes until I crafted a bow, but outside of that it's very meh. You attack with it like it's a knife instead of jabbing with it, so its one potential advantage, keeping your distance, is wasted. And yeah, you can throw it. Congrats, now you've pissed off a monster and you aren't holding a weapon. I haven't made one since bronze tier.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

There's little most satisfying that throwing a flint spear into a Brute's head, running up while they are stunned and kicking them in the groin.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

I've been messing around with Frostner, and the debuff it applies to things is great, but what's the point of having a chain attack combo if the knockback pushes enemies out of range before the third big strike?

Monowhatever
Mar 19, 2010

On the server im playing with friends we found this tiny double plains island in the middle of the ocean. It's going to be a plains farmland later but I've been working on a lighthouse bridge combo. The lighthouse didn't turn out great and it needs to be redone, but the bridge turned out so good.

From the top of the failed lighthouse you get a nice overview of the island and the dock in progress.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
The atgeir is cool but at least for me the damage to stamina ratio was pretty awful. By the time I got to the third biome I also found myself either constantly missing enemies nipping at my feet or not being able to reach enemies standing on things.

The Huge Manatee
Mar 27, 2014
You get your block back up a lot faster attacking with a spear than with an axe, I'm not sure how it holds up against the other weapon types, but maybe its design intent was to be a more defensive option.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

BobTheJanitor posted:

The spear I just don't get. It was useful a useful ranged option for 5 minutes until I crafted a bow, but outside of that it's very meh. You attack with it like it's a knife instead of jabbing with it, so its one potential advantage, keeping your distance, is wasted. And yeah, you can throw it. Congrats, now you've pissed off a monster and you aren't holding a weapon. I haven't made one since bronze tier.

That's really a shame because spears are pretty loving Viking. Odin used one, dammit.

I just want a game where spears are good. :(

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Ravenfood posted:

That's really a shame because spears are pretty loving Viking. Odin used one, dammit.

I just want a game where spears are good. :(

It's definitely the weapon I'd grab if I were inexplicably thrust into medieval combat. Not gonna hurt myself swinging it around like you might with a sword, don't have to keep as close to anyone, can always throw it, swing it wide, stab something, spin it around really fast to deflect bullets, knock fruit off high branches, scratch my own back, can hold it between your legs and pretend its a pp, etc. Meanwhile in videogame spear means pierce damage and it gets one poke attack with shorter range than most knives for some reason.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

What makes me not use spears is that the way they hold and attack with them is dumb.

Oh, I don't understand the bonemass hate. Getting to the swamp unlocks iron gear, so make some. Fighting in water sucks, so use a hoe to get the boss 'arena' above water level. Poison sucks, so make some poison resist potions. It's all stuff I learned just from just wandering around gathering stuff in the swamp. A blob killed me with poison right off the bat so I said "gently caress that" and made sure to always have poison resist pots when going into the swamp. Leeches were annoying so I used a hoe to make little land bridges, you don't even need to build up the ground, just use the leveling function.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Don't even need to raise an arena, I just kited him around one of the crypts close to his spawn location.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Mine was kind of in the middle of nowhere so the only thing I could kite him around was his big spawning skull.

I didn't even really raise an arena. I just ran around in the immediate vicinity of his altar spamming left click with a hoe.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

BobTheJanitor posted:

It is one handed and does piercing damage, plus it is relatively fast to attack with. So use it against stuff that is weak to piercing. It's also not bad as a stealth opener, just because you threw the spear doesn't mean you need to get it back, you can use it like a pilum, throw it and then switch to something else.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Mar 3, 2021

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I wish that any enclosed space counted as a roof, not just roof tiles.

I have a lot of fun design ideas that I don't want to turn green and warped.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah that's a weird one and I don't quite understand why it's like that.

boo boo bear
Oct 1, 2009

I'm COMPLETELY OBSESSED with SEXY EGGS

Broken Cog posted:

two things: it's also the top tier crop harvester. the secondary attack will clear a field of flax in seconds.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Also this is a thing in most games with them, and also IRL, but I wish there was a thing that would make the boat sail translucent, because I can't see a loving thing when I'm driving.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Inzombiac posted:

I wish that any enclosed space counted as a roof, not just roof tiles.

I have a lot of fun design ideas that I don't want to turn green and warped.

Stone floor tiles count as a roof. I guess if you want a wood roof that doesn't help you, but it's worth noting!

The arch pieces might count too, I have a couple of them in my main entryway and I think I'm sheltered under them but haven't thought to stop and actually confirm.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

OwlFancier posted:

Also this is a thing in most games with them, and also IRL, but I wish there was a thing that would make the boat sail translucent, because I can't see a loving thing when I'm driving.

Scroll wheel lets you zoom out. Quite far when driving a boat, enough to see easily even with a longboat at full sail.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah but like, you're still constantly angling the camera to try and see past the thing in the middle of your screen. Especially when you're tryng to avoid rocks.

Just a button I can tap to make the sail ghost out would improve the experience a lot.

Or move the camera to the top of the mast, perhaps.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Mar 4, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grimes
Nov 12, 2005

I was gifted a copy of Valheim and I'm on a server with some friends, but I just can't seem to get into it. I don't really enjoy building for the sake of building, so I'm hoping maybe the exploration and combat will win me over? V:unsmith:V