Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Wait, is Gwenpool an isekai?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

MH Knights posted:

Wait, is Gwenpool an isekai?

Yes.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

She even has a cheat skill

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Gologle posted:

Yo is that Robot Chicken?

No, it's M.O.D.O.K.: A HULU ORIGINAL

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

John Dyne posted:

My favorite isekai was Kemono Michi, which is about a pro-wrestler who gets sent to your stock standard fantasy world but his whole schtick is he fuckin' LOVES animals and refuses to beat up the beastmen and monsters because he wants to rub their tummies. He also suplexes the princess who summoned him.

That sound fun! Let me google images it aaaand...

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
Yeah I don't think I'd have ever watched it if I had seen any of the promo art for it. I just saw it on Hulu and went, 'huh, that looks neat.'

It's anime as gently caress.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Vincent posted:

just looks like any isekai anime to me.....? not sure what you were expecting

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

Vincent posted:

The only one of those girls he's into is the wolf-girl, and her prefers the even-more-canine kobolds.

He did accidentaly agree to let the dragon-girl eat him by telling her 'maybe when you're older' and she took it as a promise.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

I know I've chided people in the past for being reflexively down on anime and manga but purely as a gag this is a beautiful post, Lurdiak. I mean this from the bottom of my heart, I'm beaming, I don't know if this is a widespread Everett True meme format or something you just whipped up but I adore it.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
There are shows with zero sexual content or even a dearth of female characters who will still have official cheesecake art floating around, whether as illustrations used for merch or something to stick in a magazine or whatever. Do not judge too harshly by the results of what an image search turns up.

this warning doesn't apply to kemono michi though, it is actually horny, i like the one with the really paranoid guy better

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
post content you assholes

Thor Vs Beast Women From the Center of the Earth is an isekai, about Thor, vs Beast Women From the Center of the Earth

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
Those tails look remarkably like giant poops

Sinatrapod
Sep 24, 2007

The "Latin" is too dangerous, my queen!
I love how the manticore(?) doesn't even look aggressive, he just looks confused.

"A flying Conan? In THIS season?"

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Flesh Forge posted:

post content you assholes

Thor Vs Beast Women From the Center of the Earth is an isekai, about Thor, vs Beast Women From the Center of the Earth

this is what happens when 50s tv serial storyboard artists get their pitches rejected

Rhaka
Feb 15, 2008

Practice knighthood and learn
the art that dignifies you

Black and white stuff? Let's do black and white stuff. Concrete v03 - Fragile Creature

Concrete had his brain transplanted inside a rock person construct, his original body stolen by aliens. As the only known "super" in his setting he has a carefully-constructed public image as a buffoon, this era's Hulk Hogan, to throw off tricky questions about his origin--but he's actually rather well-read and cultured, being a former political speechwriter. He is basically a slightly-weaker The Thing with more awkwardness and social anxiety. Concrete mostly makes a living as a travel writer and taking on interesting odd jobs that take advantage of his heightened strength and endurance.

Currently, he's taken on work as Special Effects Man for a Hollywood film production, saving the production millions of dollars--which the established special effects crew isn't wild about, since that's all money that would have passed through their hands instead.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

scary ghost dog posted:

this is what happens when 50s tv serial storyboard artists get their pitches rejected

yeah it's pretty great

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

How Wonderful! posted:

I know I've chided people in the past for being reflexively down on anime and manga but purely as a gag this is a beautiful post, Lurdiak. I mean this from the bottom of my heart, I'm beaming, I don't know if this is a widespread Everett True meme format or something you just whipped up but I adore it.

It was floating around years ago with the behatted guy saying "Now, let me tell you about Homestuck-"

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Rhaka posted:

Black and white stuff? Let's do black and white stuff. Concrete v03 - Fragile Creature

Concrete had his brain transplanted inside a rock person construct, his original body stolen by aliens. As the only known "super" in his setting he has a carefully-constructed public image as a buffoon, this era's Hulk Hogan, to throw off tricky questions about his origin--but he's actually rather well-read and cultured, being a former political speechwriter. He is basically a slightly-weaker The Thing with more awkwardness and social anxiety. Concrete mostly makes a living as a travel writer and taking on interesting odd jobs that take advantage of his heightened strength and endurance.

Currently, he's taken on work as Special Effects Man for a Hollywood film production, saving the production millions of dollars--which the established special effects crew isn't wild about, since that's all money that would have passed through their hands instead.

Its been a while since I've read that story but IIRC this story is based on author Paul Chadwick's experience working in Hollywood, specifically the live action He-Man movie.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
If we're doing black and white there are quite a few pages of Cerebus I could use, but then again it's Cerebus, so........

EDIT: For those who don't get it because they've never read it, Cerebus was a comic book that plummeted straight off a cliff because its author is, literally, a crazy person, who ruined his work ranting about women and going off about other weird poo poo.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Bota Bota is a nsfw manga by the creator of Beastars about a woman who gets massive nosebleeds every time she touches something she considers filthy. Despite this, she keeps trying to sleep with random men, with disastrous results. Here, her actions have caused her to become infamous in town

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
What weird premise for a comic.

I’ll check it out later

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Well I guess you can find a way to make anything work for you

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
One positive about manga I'll give it is that it seems to be a lot easier to find publishers and editors that will let you get real wierd with it.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
Paru Itagaki seems to have a brand, and that brand is sexual frustration.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

David D. Davidson posted:

One positive about manga I'll give it is that it seems to be a lot easier to find publishers and editors that will let you get real wierd with it.

I feel that, historically, Japanese popular entertainment tends to the bizarre. I went to a half day of bunraku (puppet plays) when I was in Japan a few years back and the main play extract they did was written in the mid-1700's or so, but the tropes you'd probably see in a whole bunch of manga/anime now.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Elissimpark posted:

I feel that, historically, Japanese popular entertainment tends to the bizarre. I went to a half day of bunraku (puppet plays) when I was in Japan a few years back and the main play extract they did was written in the mid-1700's or so, but the tropes you'd probably see in a whole bunch of manga/anime now.

Ehh, I mean western literature cannibalizes itself constantly too. How much modern poo poo is based of Shakespeare?

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

(Scholar of Greek and Roman Civilization walks into the thread. His hair is blonde and sticking up and is radiating pure energy. )

NOW....LET ME SHOW YOU HOW THE MODERN GROSS OUT COMEDIES ARE ALL STOLEN FROM ANCIENT GREEK COMEDIES!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

The Question IRL posted:

(Scholar of Greek and Roman Civilization walks into the thread. His hair is blonde and sticking up and is radiating pure energy. )

NOW....LET ME SHOW YOU HOW THE MODERN GROSS OUT COMEDIES ARE ALL STOLEN FROM ANCIENT GREEK COMEDIES!

AND THIS IS TO GO EVEN FURTHER BEYOND (the Homeric texts)

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Gilgamesh was the original Super Saiyan.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

habeasdorkus posted:

Gilgamesh was the original Super Saiyan.
And a total Mary Sue, to boot.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

FMguru posted:

And a total Mary Sue, to boot.

Nah, Gilgamesh was in many ways defined by his failures. His failures to be a good king, his failure to keep his friend alive, his failure to find immortality, etc.

Now, Lancelot, Lancelot’s a goddamn Mary Sue. Hate that French rear end in a top hat

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Skwirl posted:

Ehh, I mean western literature cannibalizes itself constantly too. How much modern poo poo is based of Shakespeare?

I agree, but its like if the history of Western literature decided Titus Andronicus was the premier Shakespeare play rather than say, Hamlet.

(Nothing against Titus Andronicus - I like me a pie-based revenge story.)

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Hmm, Lancelot's affair with Guinevere is a major cause of the end of Arthur's Realm. And he winds up dead.

Now, Galahad, there's a Mary Sue. Except he's at least in part designed to be a foil to his father Lancelot.

We got any badass jousting panels?

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Elissimpark posted:

I agree, but its like if the history of Western literature decided Titus Andronicus was the premier Shakespeare play rather than say, Hamlet.

(Nothing against Titus Andronicus - I like me a pie-based revenge story.)

Not really? Manga is nerd poo poo, in the same way that comics are nerd poo poo in the West. It’s not like Japan or other parts of Asia don’t have their own rich literary traditions.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

*remakes Journey to the West, and Romance of the Three Kingdoms for the trillionth time*

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Infinitum posted:

*remakes Journey to the West, and Romance of the Three Kingdoms for the trillionth time*

Ecclesiastes 1:9 (NIV) “What has been will be again, what has been done will be done again; there is nothing new under the sun”

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
All stories are the same story, endlessly retold in the mind of whichever local knowledge/trickster deity you are invoking.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

thetoughestbean posted:

Nah, Gilgamesh was in many ways defined by his failures. His failures to be a good king, his failure to keep his friend alive, his failure to find immortality, etc.

Now, Lancelot, Lancelot’s a goddamn Mary Sue. Hate that French rear end in a top hat

If you think Lancelot's bad you've clearly never heard of Galahad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

wish I galahadn't