Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Age of Sigmar: Ogor Mawtribes
You Are What You Eat

Meatfist Mawtribe loudly and aggressively declare themselves the best, most amazing ogors around. They bring massive amounts of meat and treasure back to Great Gutfort regularly, so they have reason for pride. Every warrior of the Meatfist stains at least one hand red with blood to mark themselves, and everyone anywhere near them has learned to fear them. Their Mawpath has extended out further from their base than just about any other Mawtribe's, in part because they are extremely voracious and leave absolutely nothing edible behind. The method the Meatfist use to stain their hands is by shoving their full forearm into a boiling vat of meat and gore before each raid. It is a symbolic ritual to recall the first Overtyrant, Grawl Meatfist, who defeated the primordial Ghurish Titanox with his bare hands and tore out its guts. The blood of the Titanox filled Grawl with super-ogorish power.

The Meatfist claim they retain Grawl's immense power in their blood. Other Mawtribes think them arrogant and irritating, especially since they refuse to share any of the best hunting grounds they have access to, but no one can deny their strength. Even if they exaggerate their stories about Grawl Meatfist, they're certainly the largest Mawtribe in existence, thanks to absorbing a large number of smaller competitors like the Bilegulpers, Clotted Throat and the Stoneteeth. They aren't particularly generous in victory, either, humiliating their defeated foes and devouring their leaders. They once were friends and allies of the Boulderhead Mawtribe, who wore the red fist to honor them, but ever since the betrayal of Braggoth Vardruk, they've been bitter rivals. Even this and the coming of the Stormcast and Ossiarchs has done little to slow down the Meatfist raiding. In fact, they love finding new foes to fight, because each new kind of enemy is a new flavor. The Tyrants of the Mawtribe are rich and fat on their successes, and they crave ever more. The easiest way for a Meatfist Tyrant to be deposed is to fail to deliver a larger harvest than their last.

The ruler of the Mawtribe as a whole is Globb Glittermaw, a giant and morbidly obese warlord who can rival small gargants in size. He wears voluminous red robes and has encrusted his teeth with gems, which some claim are made from realmstone. He claims he became Overtyrant after his predecessor miraculously exploded in his sleep due to the anger of Gorkamorka. The old Slaughtermaster that said it was actually because it was due to a wine-trough laced with Aqshian fire crystals ended up mysteriously falling into his own cauldron shortly afterwards, and Globb's been in charge ever since. His intellect and strategic mind are amazing, and he even introduced the Meatfists to the idea of storing up wealth rather than eating it, allowing them to trade it with the kingdoms around them for weapons and food. The Meatfist have grown quite rich by working as mercenaries, and Globb's fame has spread far and wide. They say he smashed open the Vaults of Light in Hysh and ate everything inside, and that the rumblings of his stomach triggered an avalanche that destroyed the Tempest's Eye army at the Battle of Slit Throat.

Bloodgullet Mawtribe is feared even by their fellow ogors, thanks to the mystic powers they wield. They reject any food that is not soaked with blood, for the feeling of hot, slick gore flowing down the face and chin is a holy communion with the Great Beast That Consumes the Realms. They fight not just to kill their foes but to bathe in their spraying blood, drinking it up even amidst the fights. Bloodgullet ogors heavily decorate their rosy skin and swollen forms, which bloat up like a well-fed tick. Their red coloring is from their diet - raw and bloody meat. Bloodgullet Butchers teach that cooking meat actually dilutes its power, and the power of red blood and strong meat is what Gorkamorka needs above all. It is blasphemous to waste even a drop of the stuff. They let blood scab on their skin, coat their weapons, stain their teeth, and cake in their hair. The stink of rotting blood and gore mixes with sweat as they march, making them easy to smell coming.

Bloodgullet warriors seek out the best and strongest prey in search of the most potent and vital blood. While they eat no less than any ogor, they value even small amounts of blood over huge amounts of dried meat or clean bone. They despise the idea of roasting food and consider the Firebelly cult to be a horrific and monstrous group who destroy all the subtle flavors of their food. They actually like the Beastclaws, though, as frozen blood is considered a tasty and refreshing treat. The Bloodgullet have more Butchers and Slaughtermasters than any other Mawtribe, and this gives them a very powerful connection to the food-magic of Gorkamorka. This gives them a lot of influence, and even other Mawtribes respect their wisdom, though they don't often share their blood-based convictions. Some of the Slaughtermasters even command their own warglutts, having taken over from Tyrants.

Bloodgullet Butchers are famous for their skill at augury and the amazing power that flows from their raw cookery - the mixture of spices, blood and raw meat produces concoctions that strengthen and bring vigor in battle. They can swell muscle, heighten senses, ensure blades strike arteries and more. The Gnoblars of the Mawtribe are tasked to make sure no blood spilled in battle goes to waste, rushing about with buckets to catch it when it can't be worn and consumed. They make their home in Butcher's Gorge in Aqshy, with their glutthold built around an underground lake that is holy to the Gulping God. They say that somewhere under the lake, an old rib that Gorkamorka broke lies waiting, its marrow still leaking blood into the rivers of Butcher's Gorge. Butchers from many Mawtribes make pilgrimages to the Gorge so they may soak in the gore-springs and seek connection with their god.

The Bloodgullet obsession with blood and raw meat has made them relatively friendly with the forces of Khorne, because where Khornites go, blood flows freely and can easily be tasted. Rumor has it that the Khornate warlord Korghos Khul counts Slaughtermaster Horg Blacktooth of the Bloodgullet to be among his closest friends and advisors. Certainly, the Bloodgullet came to the Goretide's aid at the Battle of Red Wake, slaughtering enough Idoneth to clot the seas with flowing blood.

Next time: Underguts and Boulderhead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

JcDent posted:

Entirely not a fan of the AoS ogre fluff. Never were, and the new developments don't change anything. And the attempt to reintegrate them into a single army seems very shoddy.

This. I get it, they're hungry and they eat everything. And some of them are chased by magical ice storms for reasons.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

so far I see no reason not to roll them into another faction or just not make them a faction at all, just mercs.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
The all-mercs faction is actually giants, if you can believe that. They're cunning enough to be willing to switch allegiances, craven enough to work for whoever is willing to give them the things they want, and smart enough to weigh the cost-benefit analysis of loyalty to a specific patron versus taking the best offer that comes along.

Orogs just want food.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Each Grand Order still only gets one of the three giant types available, tho.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

The amount of made up words is slowly causing my right eye to twitch at intervals.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I joked in the Total Warhammer thread about Feastmaster Soupsecrators, which buff nearby Turkeysalt Boilblasters and are armed with vegemantium drivespoons. But at this rate I'm half expecting to actually see them.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Cythereal posted:

I joked in the Total Warhammer thread about Feastmaster Soupsecrators, which buff nearby Turkeysalt Boilblasters and are armed with vegemantium drivespoons. But at this rate I'm half expecting to actually see them.

Nah, you won't see those names.

Too many vowels used correctly.

Just Dan Again
Dec 16, 2012

Adventure!

JcDent posted:

Entirely not a fan of the AoS ogre fluff. Never were, and the new developments don't change anything. And the attempt to reintegrate them into a single army seems very shoddy.

All of the unit types in the Ogor army book were in the last Ogre Kingdoms army book. If you're looking for shoddy re-integration, you're looking for the smashing together of Savage Orruks and Ironjawz.

JcDent posted:

Well, at least the devs are sane enough to understand that primary way to play Death or Destruction isn't Soulbound, so they'll probably have their own group dynamic mechanics (and Sigmarines are playing solo already). I forget, is there a non-Soulbound option in the main book?

There are non-Soulbound options in the main book, and Nagash and Gorkamorka soul-bindings are talked about in the Champions of Order book. The Soulbound group mechanics are cool, though, so hopefully they adapt them to different campaign types rather than just dumpstering them.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

SkyeAuroline posted:

Nah, you won't see those names.

Too many vowels used correctly.

Aetheraelf Aestheticaesars often ride into battle astride a vicious Hyaenoid Haemodaemon.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Just Dan Again posted:

All of the unit types in the Ogor army book were in the last Ogre Kingdoms army book. If you're looking for shoddy re-integration, you're looking for the smashing together of Savage Orruks and Ironjawz.

Oh you best believe that I'm still sad over the loss of good ol' orcs in favor of Naked Orcs and Bigger Orcs* With A Single Legacy Kit.

I'd probably be more fine with ogres if they haven't split them initially, made half of the army entirely cavalry that's chased by a dumb endless winter, and the reconsolidated them in the mock hacky way.

*It also doesn't help that I'm not that fond of the new head sculpting design for orc/ks, though I can hardly put my finger on it. Are they more round? Are the mouths bigger? More pronounced snout?

Cythereal posted:

This. I get it, they're hungry and they eat everything. And some of them are chased by magical ice storms for reasons.

"What if Tyranids were large adult sons" wasn't the best idea for a faction.

JcDent fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Mar 3, 2021

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

JcDent posted:

Oh you best believe that I'm still sad over the loss of good ol' orcs in favor of Naked Orcs and Bigger Orcs* With A Single Legacy Kit.

I'd probably be more fine with ogres if they haven't split them initially, made half of the army entirely cavalry that's chased by a dumb endless winter, and the reconsolidated them in the mock hacky way.

*It also doesn't help that I'm not that fond of the new head sculpting design for orc/ks, though I can hardly put my finger on it. Are they more round? Are the mouths bigger? More pronounced snout?

They look almost the same too me.

Fantasy Orc Boys

AoS Orruk Brute

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Cythereal posted:

They're halflings.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

MonsterEnvy posted:

Fantasy Orc Boys

AoS Orruk Brute

Not to me! And before you say that I hate AoS just to hate AoS, I think I noticed it first with the new Ork vehicle crews. Instead of sinevy verticality we get roundness.

My brainworms are at peak health, why u ask?

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Fortunately your strain of brainworms seem rather benign. Do consult your doctor If you get any sudden urges to convert w40k armies to a Germany ww2 scheme.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
dr robotnork is the peak orkoid body, all orks will gradually evolve towards the perfect egg form

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

90s Cringe Rock posted:

They're halflings.

That was the joke, yes. We were making fun of AoS and the names a halfling army in AoS would get.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

Cythereal posted:

That was the joke, yes. We were making fun of AoS and the names a halfling army in AoS would get.

oh. I just assumed it was more food-related ogre things. bring back the hot pot tbh.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

90s Cringe Rock posted:

oh. I just assumed it was more food-related ogre things. bring back the hot pot tbh.

The ogres actually can field mawpots, they’re the signature terrain for the army that gives them special benefits.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

By popular demand posted:

Fortunately your strain of brainworms seem rather benign. Do consult your doctor If you get any sudden urges to convert w40k armies to a Germany ww2 scheme.

Once every two months, I get the urge to collect Cadians and paint them either the old dark green color scheme or the Necromundan Spyders one.

Mors Rattus posted:

The ogres actually can field mawpots, they’re the signature terrain for the army that gives them special benefits.

I don't like the signature terrain, which is appearing in 40K as well, but I'm safe in 30K - no rule updates means no bad rule updates either! :v:

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Meat Is Murder

Underguts Mawtribe hails from the depths of Ulgu, where darkness covers all and monstrous creatures infest the deep. They are very pale after generations of darkness, feasting on the monsters as the apex predators of their environment. They've developed a distinct preference for rotten and venomous meat. Their diet stains their pale skin greenish-yellow and makes them drool disgusting, often poisonous liquid. They live underground and have mastered the art of mining, able to tunnel through miles of stone. They use very different methods than most miners, though, since they're so tough. They mostly rely on explosives. See, in the Age of Myth, the lands they now roam were ruled by the Underlords of Kazak Fulgar, a duardin nation renowned for their mastery of blasting powder, which they made from emberworm scale and culverite, both common in the caverns. They fled Chaos into the depths when the invasions came, thinking themselves safe in their buried gunforts. They didn't anticipate the resistance from the Underguts, who had made their home in the caverns. After a long and deadly conflict, the Underguts eventually consumed all of the Kazak Fulgar duardin.

Between the brighter ogors and the clever gnoblars of the Mawtribe, they learned to turn the blasting powder against their enemies, eventually reverse engineering the method of creating it in at least a crude form. They found explosives to be deeply fascinating, enjoying the noise and the aftertaste it left on charred flesh. The ogors blasted their way into the gunforts and overwhelmed the duardin entirely, claiming Kazak Fulgar as their glutthold, now called Mount Bellow due to the sound of the explosions the gnoblars make in their mining work. The ogor warriors mark their gut-plates with the mountain's image and often tattoo it onto their bodies. Through the Age of Chaos, they actually expanded their territory, remaining underground and tunnelling their Mawpath through the shadows caverns of Ulgu. Anything that'd keep them out they blew up, eating the debris to clear it. It often proved deadly to the gnoblars, but it also made them terrifyingly good at breaching any defenses that might be put up and also at ambushing the huge, worm-like monsters that were their primary diet.

The modern Underguts make heavy use of their large supplies of gunpowder to field massed Leadbelchers, who use their powerful guns to take apart foes both at range and in close quarters. They specialize at cave fighting, but they're more than happy to take their point-blank tactics above ground, too. Their favorite tactic is massed cannon fire to take out the enemy line in one shot, then charging in to take on any survivors. They're the source of most gunpowder used by other Mawtribes, and that's made them wealthy and influential. They have more guns than any other ogors out there and have even secured strong trade alliances with several other subterranean groups, like the local Gloomspite grots.

Boulderhead Mawtribe, also called the Svard, are now the premire Beastclaw Mawtribe. They ride their giant Stonehorns into battle, smashing enemies to bits and eating what's left. They burn and blacken the flesh of their right fists before battle, using this a symbol of their broken alliance and hatred of the Meatfist. The other Mawtribes see them as troublemakers and dangerous, though few would dare to say so openly. Svard means 'unbreakable ones' in the Beastclaw language, and they see themselves as the only ones who still maintain the true traditions of Gorkamorka, with all other ogors having become broken and soft. They often fight other ogors in an effort to take over their entire people, and their lack of success is mostly because their foes have been forced to team up against them in order to defeat their powerful cavalry.

Even by Beastclaw standards, the Boulderhead are harsh and unforgiving. They ate rock and metal to toughen themselves, causing their skin to grow very thick and their skulls to become dense enough to headbutt cannonballs out of the air. Those who are too weak to survive the rigors of Boulderhead life are left to die, which has resulted in a much smaller Mawtribe than many of their rivals. However, the survivors are tough enough to shrug off a lot of damage, and they take great pride in how tough they are. They consider the Gutbuster culture to be particularly weak and unworthy, though at this point they've conquered enough Gutbuster warglutts to have quite a few within their numbers. They take even greater pride in raising powerful warbeasts, and their Huskard Torrs are more commonly called Beastmasters, given the sacred task of raising the biggest and nastiest Stonehorns and Mournfangs. These beasts are trained by being made to fight war captives, monsters and even Boulderhead warriors in gladitorial combat, with the weakest beasts being culled for meat in the Yorask-Or ritual. The ogors and surviving monsters are fed on the fat and blubber of the weak, uniting mount and rider as one symbolically.

In battle, the bond between mount and rider is a powerful weapon. They will stampede through anything aimed at them. Gunfire doesn't phase them or slow them down, not even the cannons of the Kharadon gunships. Even when their bones are broken, they keep going, their riders skilled enough to force one final surge from the dying creature. Even in death, these monsters can smash through castle walls and crush enemies. They serve under the Frost King Braggoth Vardruk ever since the dawn of the Age of Sigmar, and they've grown very rich under his leadership. Many are drawn to Vardruk's strategic skill and uncompromising nature. While the Svard and the Meatfist have a ceasefire for now, the number of scorched fists is rising, and it's clear war will return.

Next time: Thunderbellies and Winterbite

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Mors Rattus posted:

Settler's Gain is a Hyshian Free City, known as Yllurai Xhen in the language of the Lumineth aelves. The Lumineth consider it the ideal settlement for immigrants to Hysh, a utopian place of enlightenment and wonder. It has many hovering crystalline buildings arranged in accordance with the ideals of Xintilogica, the philosophy that defines the city's pursuit of refining the mind and soul. Menial labor is largely done by sun-powered robots, allowing the locals to focus on study and enlightenment. The goal of most residents is to ascend to the floating spires, a slow process achieved by passing various philosophical, theological and magical tests held by the Lumineth Invigilators. Non-aelves often have a lot of problems doing so, though, because they lack the long lifespans required to achieve depth of study in these fields enough to pass the highest tests. Those who are chronically unable to advance are called the Earthbound. They live in relative splendor for mortals, but resentment against their societal betters is on the rise amongst the Earthbound. As yet, there has been no violence largely because those deemed to be troublemaking leaders are sent to the Enlightenment Prisms, where some unknown means are used to "correct" their "flawed" viewpoints. Several Earthbound have grown so frustrated with the tests that they consider the idea of leaving the city to become adventurers preferable to living at the bottom of the heap even if their needs are cared for. Others are sent on "spiritual excursions" after disappointing their aelven teachers or pissing them off, sometimes to fight, sometimes to spread the ideals of Xintilogica.

The Settler's Gain bonus is Xintilogica. You know how to arrange your environment symmetrically and in an ordered way in order to refine your mental state. When you take a Rest, you can arrange furniture, set up objects or even just trace geometric shapes around yourself to meditate. If you do, you roll a d6. If it is equal to or more than the Doom, you get a bonus die on your choice of Mind or Soul rolls until your next Rest. If it's less than the Doom, nothing happens because the area is too chaotic or disturbed to have it work.

We just got a short story about this place.

https://www.warhammer-community.com...%2B8MRvmhTSSBB9

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

90s Cringe Rock posted:

The Soup Tank!

busalover
Sep 12, 2020

Mors Rattus posted:

I was hoping for a huge and disgusting model overflowing with "stuff", but the official one on the GW website is kinda eh.

That's better though.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
I was not expecting to like the Explosion Ogres as much as I do

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

busalover posted:

I was hoping for a huge and disgusting model overflowing with "stuff", but the official one on the GW website is kinda eh.

It is huge.

Yusin
Mar 4, 2021

That's awesome. Shame Halflings are not a thing anymore.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Yusin posted:

That's awesome. Shame Halflings are not a thing anymore.

They’re sneaking back in. New Slaanesh hero Glutos Orscolion has one in his retinue.

Yusin
Mar 4, 2021

Mors Rattus posted:

They’re sneaking back in. New Slaanesh hero Glutos Orscolion has one in his retinue.

I heard that described as a Homunculus like the Archers have.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

The preview referred to him as just a “mysterious creature,” and the book doesn’t specify or even really discuss what he is. He’s just...present.

E: this dude here is a Homunculus, tho, and he’s bigger.

Mors Rattus fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Mar 4, 2021

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

Fantasy Orc Boys

AoS Orruk Brute

It feels to me that the old orcs have clearly cartoony heads on a blocky and cartoony aesthetic. Meanwhile the AoS Orruk has a more rounded and fluid aesthetic and almost the same cartoony head so it doesn't quite fit.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

neonchameleon posted:

It feels to me that the old orcs have clearly cartoony heads on a blocky and cartoony aesthetic. Meanwhile the AoS Orruk has a more rounded and fluid aesthetic and almost the same cartoony head so it doesn't quite fit.

Yup, made more proportional while not altering the head.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Meat and Greet

Thunderbellies Maw Tribe, also called the Olwyr in Svoringar, are a pretty young Mawtribe, only recently risen to prominence. Since the Age of Sigmar began, they have begun raiding the Sky Roads of Chamon. Their journeys through the stormy clouds of Chamon have allowed them to absorb the electrical energy into their bodies. Their swift Mournfang mounts crackle with power as they ride across the Sky Roads, firing off powerful blasts from their massive pistols. Despite their size, they are unrelentingly swift, smashing quickly into enemy lines and then wheeling around for another electrified charge. Their speed is drawn from necessity - the Everwinter that chases them is more erratic than most, a swift-moving electrical tempest that forces them to be constantly on the move even more than most Beastclaws. That's why they favor Mournfangs over slower mounts, and they rarely leave the saddle even when not fighting. They work, eat and play on the move, having mastered the art of skewering foes on spears and eating them as kebabs.

Olwyr Mournfangs have fur the color of storm clouds, marked by white lightning streaks that crackle with static and provide surprisingly good camouflage among the storm clouds of the Sky Roads. The riders help with this by wearing dark blue armor and helmets. They draw strongly on Huskard Torr magic, using the Everwinter's power to smash into foes at high speed. The Gutbusters of the Mawtribe make do with rhinoxen, clatterhorns and other mounts they're more familiar with, but they are not permitted to join the cavalry charges. They dismount before battle and form heavy lines of gunners to support the cavalry. While they may not have the honor of the charge, the Thunderbellies love guns and consider it a good second best.

Most of the peoples of Chamon believe the Sky Roads that wind around the central continent Ayadah to have been built by Grungni to help connect the scattered duardin holds. The Thunderbellies disagree - they say they're the guts of Gorkamorka, left trailing behind as their god rampaged through the Realms. They think if they keep going fast and long enough, they will eventually catch up with their god and be granted the honor of fighting alongside him. Until then, they're in a heavily contested area of great strategic value, which means they never run out of foes to fight or eat. They take great pride in being loud and obnoxious, making a show of their enthusiasm, bellowing and unrestrained power. They really like attacking settlements and other sedentary targets to be better able to show off, but their biggest rivalry is with the Dragon Ogors that serve the forces of Chaos. The Olwyr compete with these monstrous warriors over the right to run with the greatest storms, trying to catch and swallow lightning bolts. It's not the safest hobby, and plenty of Olwyr die while doing it, but they consider this an acceptable risk. If you get killed rather than successfully swallowing lightning, you obviously sucked.

The Olwyr also have a minor obsession with the "lightning meat" of the Stormcast - that is, the disembodied energies that travel from the corpse of a Stormcast back to Azyr. The Butchers and Huskard Torrs of the Mawtribe claim to be able to trap these energies in the clouds of the Everwinter, from which they can be retrieved and shoved into the Mawpots. They're probably right, too - after several battles against the Thunderbellies, the Stormcast have found that they have one or two members that they can't manage to account for, which is quite troubling.

Winterbite Mawtribe, the Fraya in Svoringar, are the undisputed masters of wielding the Everwinter as a weapon. Their attack is heralded only briefly by the descent of a sudden fog, a chilling white mist within which their shadows can be seen. The attack comes soon after, and it is always without mercy. The frost-coated ogors emerge, impaling terrified prey on their javelins and clubbing people to drag them away. They command many hunting packs of predatory cats who help them bring down their foes, and they make their meals on the battlefield, getting straight to work preparing them and then moving on.

Even other ogors find the Winterbite unsettling, and they're very isolated aeven from their own kind. Even other Beastclaws find their avoidance of cooking their frozen meat at any time to be a bit strange. Their skin is pale and usually coated in a thin layer of ice, even in the warmest lands, and their hunters cloak themselves in the skins of great beasts, also usually pale. Their mounts and hunting pets are bred for white fur to help hide in the snow. They're actually quite good at hiding and ambush amidst the Everwinter's mist, and while it can be hard to disguise massive creatures like a Stonehorn, they manage it, usually by holding these heavy beasts back until the last moment. This is where their name comes from - Fraya more literally translates to 'unseen hunters.' They pride themselves on living as close to the heart of their foggy Everwinter as possible without dying.

Most ogors lack the patience that Winterbite hunters, even among their Gutbuster contingent, are well known for. They prefer to avoid direct assaults, as their numbers are generally rather small and they have fewer beasts than other Mawtribes. The ambush is what has made them powerful, as well as their mastery of turning the environment itself into a weapon. They prefer the smaller beasts of the hunting packs, who need less feeding. Equally, however, fear is one of their best weapons. The Huskard Torrs summon forth packs of vicious Icefall Yhetees from the mists to terrorize their victims ahead of their advance, silently snatching up stragglers among the enemy to heighten their paranoia. These captives are then tortured and eaten in the maze of mist, specifically so that their comrades will hear them scream. Then, the guns and heavy crossbows fire at the terrified foes and the ambush begins in earnest. After battle, the Winterbite always make sure to leave several captives bound up for the cold. They consider the Everwinter to be a manifestation of Gorkamorka's breath, and they would never dare to leave him unfed. Often, these captives are still alive - for a time, anyway. After all, they always end up swallowed by the fog.

Next time: Gutbuster forces.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

SkyeAuroline posted:

Yup, made more proportional while not altering the head.

His head is actually the same size, his body is just much bigger.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

MonsterEnvy posted:

His head is actually the same size, his body is just much bigger.

... Yeah, that's what I said. The body is more proportional to the formerly comically oversized head.

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Ban-thing the man-things.

JcDent posted:

I'm safe in 30K

lmao of course

JcDent
May 13, 2013

TK_Nyarlathotep posted:

lmao of course

Like I said, no rule updates means no bad rule updates! :v:

Now, to wait for Forge World to publish new rules for Custodes for the third time while not releasing kits we've been promised 6 years ago.

JcDent fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Mar 5, 2021

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

That was pretty dark.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

The Tyranny of Bread

The leaders among the warglutts of the Gutbusters are the Tyrants, the biggest and strongest of the tribe. They have to be - ogor leadership is determined by physical force. Their leadership is judged by their ability to provide food for the glutt, both because ogors require a lot of food and because the act of eating is sacred to the Gutbusters, an offering to the Gulping God. The easiest way for a Tyrant to be overthrown is to fail to provide for their followers - that's a sure way to get ogors challenging them for leadership. These disputes are generally handled by duels in front of the tribe. These traditional duels involve removal of the gut-plate and then all-out combat. The greatest victory is through disemboweling the other party, as this is the most humiliating death the Gutbusters can imagine - an inability to hold onto their guts. After the battle, the loser is eaten.

Tyrants typically endure many challenges if they're at all successful. (Unsuccesful Tyrants, of course, only need one.) The constant conflict means Tyrants get very good at fighting, often developing enough strength to tear through even the strongest armor with their bare hands. They are often equally difficult to harm despite not wearing much armor, surviving siege wepaons, magic and powerful monsters through the power of their blubber and protective fat. Many kingdoms and cities prefer to seek a truce with Tyrants by offering them food in place of fighting them. It works out well as long as the tribute continues, but ogors eat a lot, and if the tribute fails, they'll come by to eat anything they can find.

Quite a lot of that food will go into the gullet of the Tyrant, whose hunger is likely the strongest amongst the tribe. Their tastes have a strong influence on those of their glutt, because while an ogor can eat anything, they tend to obsessively seek out the stuff they like best. Oghort Oakeater of the Meatfist, for example, quite likes the taste of Sylvaneth bark, and so his warglutt can generally be found raiding their groves and destroying trees by the dozen to draw them out to fight. When other ogors mocked him for his preference for plants, he killed them and ground them up into a fine powder to season his food with. Like Oakeater, most Tyrants end up developing deed-names, blunt and descriptive titles honoring their greatest acts. Stalgo Hammerskull headbutted a bullgor to death, Baltrak the Filthy vowed never to allow water to touch his skin after a bad encounter with the Idoneth, that kind of thing. They often also like to add fanciful titles such as Emperor, Grand Headcrusher or similar, not always with full understanding of the words they use. They react poorly to being told they've made bad naming choices.

Tyrants generally claim first pick of any spoils from their battles, edible or otherwise. They have the best gut-plates, weapons and food available at all times. The traditional weapon of a Tyrant is the thundermace, a giant hammer which crushes skulls and tenderizes meat. Others prefer the beastskewer glaive, which is a huge polearm tipped with a heavy cutting blade for carving up bodies into the choicest cuts.

Under the tyrants are the Butchers, the priests of Gorkamorka and meat-mages of the tribe. They channel the god's hunger into magical power, using it to sense the best hunting routes by studying the entrails of the dead. In battle, they call on the magic of blood and meat to call forth bloodlust and frezny, send sprays of boiling fat or crumble metal armor in magical acid. While many see ogors as simpletons, the magic and theology of the Butchers is quite complex and sophisticated, if gross. They find spiritual truth in the preparation of food and its consumption, strengthening the glutt's ties to the Gulping God and the bodies of the ogors. The glutt must be fed so that Gorkamorka's naturaly hangry is kept at a low burn and he doesn't destroy everything. The Butchers are exceptionally skilled cooks, though they generally focus on stews and broths so that they can boil down gristle and other less appetizing bits more easily.

Most Butchers prefer cooking to fighting, but they're more than ready to head into battle alongside their glutt. They practice their art on their enemies, carving off limbs and slicing arteries with shocking precision. They scoop up guts, brains and other choice bits into their aprons for later, and once battle is over, they don't usually bother to wash the blood and viscera off before getting to work. Most begin their trade at a very young age, chosen for various reasons that the tribe believes mark them as chosen by Gorkamorka. Usually this is something like a mouth-shaped birthmark or a tendency to reach for extra seasoning. Whatever the reason, the child is presented to one of the existing Butchers for apprenticeship in the gastromantic arts, a process that takes many years. They learn how to tell what meats will help them cast spells, what goes best with a given animal, and other sacred secrets of Gorkamorka.

Butchers are seen as the heralds of the Great Beast that Consumes the Realms, telling his desires to the rest of the glutt and guiding them in their travels. Their messy augury rituals involve chewing on fresh guts while entering a trance to commune with their god for several hours. When they emerge, they reveal whatever visions Gorkamorka has granted them, and the glutt obeys, even if it seems illogical or stupid. Only a Slaughtermaster or Tyrant can gainsay the Butchers, and they very, very rarely do.

The Slaughtermasters are those Butchers who grow to immense size and power over many years. Some even get so into carving meat that they remove their own limbs and replace them with meathooks or cleavers to allow their tools to be literally part of their bodies. They are seen as near-demigods among the ogors, embodiments of Gorkamorka's hunger. Each glutt's Slaughtermaster serves as their Tyrant's personal chef and advisor. They often drag their pots into battle alongside them, to better practice their magic without delay. These pots are made from metals that have survived three trips through an ogor's belly, then beaten into proper shape by the Gnoblars under the direct guidance of the Slaughtermaster. Each one is made to highly specific proportions revealed by Gorkamorka's visions, and generally the Slaughtermaster hooks chains into their own flesh to drag it along with them.

The Gnoblars follow the Slaughtermaster into battle to gather up any severed limbs or other choice bits and dump them into the pot. They also feed their master gruel mid-battle to keep them happy. While the position of Slaughtermaster's aid is very prestigious for a Gnoblar, it's also quite dangerous, because of how easy it is to fall into the mouth of the master at work. The Slaughtermaster's cauldron, unlike the tribal Mawpot, is only used to cook food for the cook and the Tyrant. Anyone else fool enough to try to steal any is likely to be added to the stew, which may be lethal to other ogors in any case. Slaughtermaster tastes are highly refined, and their years of gastromancy leave them able to consume things even most ogors can't. Even they sometimes fall prey to explosive indigestion if they aren't careful, at that. Their bloodgruel is hard to make and harder to eat, but it is a holy and powerful sacrament for the ogors, and when a Slaughtermaster eats of it, they can release immensely powerful spells to empower their allies or snap the bones of their foes.

Typically, Butchers and Slaughtermasters remain with a glutt their entire life. However, on rare occasions, they receive dream visions of somewhere in Ghur, the land where the ogor species was born. What part of Ghur they see is highly variable, but the effects of the vision aren't - they feel an irresistable draw to the holy land they witnessed in their dream, sensing it as a place redolent in the Gulping God's energies. They leave their warglutts on a long pilgrimage, attended only by the Gorgers that follow them in hopes of food and the Gnoblars that decide it's a chance to earn greater prestige. As the small group travels, they gather up whatever good ingredients they find on the way. When they arrive, they meet with the other meat-mages drawn to the site and hold a festival, called a gollop. At a gollop, the Butchers and Slaughtermasters share their recipes, swap cuts and ingredients, toast their god and kill and eat huge amounts of whatever captives they found on the way. The amount of magic unleashed often awakens the land itself, causing major pieces of the scenery to attack the rest in an attempt to eat it. Ghur's just kind of like that sometimes.

Next time: The wretched masses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Monster Candyland

The most numerous members of a warglutt are the Gluttons, as the standard ogor warriors are known. They're violent, hungry and big, and they come down on foes as a hammer of iron armor and often gross flesh. Their willingness to tear people apart has given them a deserved reputation as terrifying to face in battle, and they're all heavily muscled, quite fat and very tough to hurt. Their clubs and maces are crude, but they're wielded with enough strength to smash Sigmarite armor, and if one of them breaks in combat, well, swapping to biting and punching isn't a significant loss of ability for most Gluttons. The leader of a formation of Gluttons is known as a Crusher, for their ability to smash multiple foes at once with their large clubs. Each group also usually carries a banner that is marked with skulls and bones from their greatest kills and a small number of Gnoblar lookouts (and emergency rations). They are kept in rough time on the move by the Bellowers, the loudest of each group of Gluttons, who roar out challenges to foes on behalf of the group, sing songs to keep everyone entertained and otherwise keep the group moving.

Gluttons aren't stupid, but they are generally predictable in their thoughts and actions. Their primary driver is their own self-interest - getting food and plenty of it and keeping Gorkamorka happy enough to not eat them, mainly. They don't usually have much understand of honor, loyalty or other abstractions - those just aren't really relevant the average ogor's lifestyle. They make and break alliances based on their understanding of the eventual profits they'll get, and whether they take a short or long term approach to that sort of thinking is most likely to determine if they're going to turn on their former allies or not when things start getting tough.

The Gnoblars are, technically, probably the majority of a Mawtribe. They are small, large-eared grots who clothe themselves in the scraps left over by the ogors and wear pots and pans as hats. They're usually armed with little more complex than a plank with a nail in it or a broken piece of glass, but they move in large enough numbers and fight with enough wild enthusiasm that this can still be a threat if there's enough of them present. Few outsiders fear the Gnoblars, though they often underestimate the creative cruelty the little creatures are capable of or how good they are throwing things into spots where armor isn't. They may seem small and harmless, but a Gnoblar's just as deadly as anyone else if they can get the pointy bit into soft flesh.

The Gnoblars are a subspecies of grot that originally lived in the mountains around Skrappa Spill in Chamon. They had a talent for using the junk and metal shards around them, and their home was a paradise for them until they were eventually driven out by the local orruks. See, Gnoblars have bigger ears than other grots and the orruks found it really funny to pull their ears off. To escape the violence of the orruks, the Gnoblars approached the local Ogors and offered to serve them forever in exchange for protection. The relationship worked out well enough that now, just about every Mawtribe has a large mass of Gnoblars among them. There is an understanding that Gnoblars will not be eaten except in times of dire need, and in exchange, they will be faithful and loyal servants to the much larger ogors.

It's honestly a really easy deal for the ogors to keep. Gnoblar meat is gritty and tastes terrible to the ogor palate, and they're much more useful alive. Not only are Gnoblars happy to take care of work like fetching food bowls, cleaning toilets, throwing scraps to the Gorgers and so on, but they're useful as a sort of living screen against attacks in a fight...and more importantly, they're very good at engineering. They seem able to construct guns and war machines out of any random junk they find lying around, and they're amazing at smithing and repairing the weapons and cooking utensils of the ogors. Even better, you never run out of them - no matter how many Gnoblars die in battle, there always seems to be more around. While they may not field entire armies like the Gloomspite do, the Gnoblars have no worries about going extinct any time soon.

The veterans among a glutt are referred to as Ironguts, given heavy armor and better gut-plates to wear into battle alongside two massive, oversized clubs or choppers. They are provided better cuts of meat than the Gluttons are after battle, so every ogor dreams of becoming an Irongut. Becoming one is relatively simple - the Tyrant chooses those ogors that prove themselves over years of combat, feasting and drinking. These chosen must then survive eating a particularly vile mix made by the Butchers. Each tribe has their own special recipe, but it always involves at least one ingredient known to be dangerous even for ogors to eat, like Aqshian fire crystal or Jabberslythe brain. The survivors of this final test become Ironguts, justifiably proud of their digestive systems and skill in battle. (Indeed, many enjoy eating contests immensely, and may start them mid-battle.)

It isn't rare for a Tyrant's own children to be placed in the ranks of the Ironguts, both to mark them as special and to make them easier to watch for signs of rebellion or ambition. Even with the paranoia many Tyrants develop, though, they never can spot all the challengers early. The Ironguts are the source of most of their challengers in the first place, thanks to being the toughest and strongest of the tribe. The best Ironguts will make up a Tyrant's personal Gutguard, but there are also other small teams of them distributed through most Gutbuster forces, providing elite muscle to decisive points in battle.

Not all ogors go into battle with clubs, though. The ogors adore guns - the bigger and louder, the better. What they consider a good long gun for battle most other species consider a cannon, and rather than keep them safe in the back, the Leadbelchers that wield these weapons generally head to the front lines. Typically, Leadblechers will carry lit tapers clenched in their teeth to set off the cannons, which are stuffed with anything that comes to hand - rocks, gravel, scavenged weapons, cannonballs, anything will do. Once fired, the shrapnel blasts out and shreds just about everything that could be considered to be in front of the Leadbelcher by any reasonable person. In theory, anyway - they do't exactly have the best fire discipline, so the shots sometimes go off-track wildly based on where they happen to point the cannon by accident. Most Leadblechers are coated in old burn scars and healed wounds as a result of point-blank fire and relatively frequent misfires. This is considered just a hazard of the job, and nothing compared to the joy of having such a big, loud explosion at their disposal. They end up in close combat fairly frequently, and they're more than happy to use their large guns as clubs as well.

The Gnoblars aren't just good with cannons, though. They've also developed what they call Scraplaunchers, massive catapults that fire piles of sharpened junk, broken weapons and other shrapnel onto the foes of the tribe. They aren't very accurate as far as siege weapons go, and a lot of the payload is going to end up not causing much harm. The thing is, there's so much sharpnel being hurled around by a single Scraplauncher that that doesn't matter - they're the catapult equivalent of an overpacked shotgun full of buckshot. The fact that they hold together as well as they do is often baffling to outsiders, as they always look like they're on the verge of collapse. The Gnoblar Scrappers that manage the thing are always moving around, retying ropes so the rhinoxen employed to drag the weapon around doesn't get loose, hammering nails back into place, even replacing key components mid-battle to make the thing work better.

The average Scraplauncher payload is made from scavenged human tools and weapons - too big for the Gnoblars, but too small for the ogors. They like to throw other choice bits into the pile to spice up each shot, however. They might strap a prisoner to something heavy, throw on some poisonous spikefish, stuff an angry jabbertoad under some rocks or otherwise do something to make the shot more entertaining to watch. After a battle, the Gnoblars then spread out to see where their special payloads landed. After all, it's super funny if they can find a guy who got killed by having a toenail embedded into their chest. The defense of the Scraplauncher itself is mostly left to the rhinox that bears it - few foes are really prepared for a siege engine to charge directly at them in the manner of a chariot, especially with as much strength as a rhinox can bring to bear. The Scrappers themselves help out by jabbing away with anything that comes to hand, but they're much less deadly than than the animal pulling them along is.

Sometimes, the Gnoblars make cannons too big even for an ogor to carry. These are the Ironblasters. mounted on top of shaggy rhinoxen and used as siege weapons to blast open castle walls. They're very loud, very smokey and able to fire multiple cannonballs at once, largely because the Gnoblars haven't really figured out how to cast balls that big reliably. Each shot is accompanied by a massive burst of fire from the barrel, sending the massed cannonballs into enemy lines. Survivors are generally easily beaten down by the ogor gunner or trampled by the angry rhinox under the gun.

Next time: The Iceman Cometh