Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

The land of milk oolong and honey

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dip Viscous

confession: i've never had oolong

i just drink pg tips and a bunch of weirdo herbal teas

Heath

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Dip Viscous posted:

confession: i've never had oolong

i just drink pg tips and a bunch of weirdo herbal teas

You have a big open world ahead of you, buddeh

Bilirubin

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Oolong has always been my favourite but I am realizing how little I actually know about tea.

OMGVBFLOL posted:

if you have the money and the patience, you can Hello Kitty anything

Thank you deep dish peat moss!
Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

We should do a tea study. Hmm.

I haven't done a large scale thing in a long time, maybe lemme think on this because my brain just spun up monthly tea samplers and I'm like "no, too much, put some back." Maybe a recommendation list? Or I can just mail everyone samples of tea all at once? Idk!

aldantefax

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

Teddy Thunders posted:

We should do a tea study. Hmm.

I haven't done a large scale thing in a long time, maybe lemme think on this because my brain just spun up monthly tea samplers and I'm like "no, too much, put some back." Maybe a recommendation list? Or I can just mail everyone samples of tea all at once? Idk!

I have a notebook I used to use when I was going through tea tasting at Imperial Tea Court, mostly in Berkeley in the Gourmet Ghetto

I dunno what a tea study is but it sounds cool

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

aldantefax posted:

I have a notebook I used to use when I was going through tea tasting at Imperial Tea Court, mostly in Berkeley in the Gourmet Ghetto

I dunno what a tea study is but it sounds cool

Shattuck ITC is the best.

A tea study is just basically a full tasting but you take your own notes and everyone makes a full review of each selection. We also learn a bit about the history and provenance and traditions and people involved with the tea.

aldantefax

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

Teddy Thunders posted:

Shattuck ITC is the best.

A tea study is just basically a full tasting but you take your own notes and everyone makes a grill review of each selection. We also learn a bit about the history and provenance and traditions and people involved with the tea.

I have done (didn't get paid for but did in a professional environment) multiple ramblings on tea so I am down for this,particularly regarding the history and such surround tea! It is a very deep cultural thing and also a cool hobby to see how it all developed

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

aldantefax posted:

I have done (didn't get paid for but did in a professional environment) multiple ramblings on tea so I am down for this,particularly regarding the history and such surround tea! It is a very deep cultural thing and also a cool hobby to see how it all developed

Yes please!!! I love tea chat particularly about the cultural and social connections.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

A short story: I grew up drinking really strong often smoked black teas, brewed full strength, with zero milk. My ggma would make them for me. I just thought everyone's tea tasted like it was on fire next to a diesel engine. Turns out a really heavily smoked lapsang souchong type tea is really really popular in Chornomorsk and I will never escape my family's influence on my hosed up taste buds.

aldantefax

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
Lapsang souchong is smoked with pine needles and there is a secret to brewing it and drinking it: the first few brews go fantastic with jam or honey to complement the deep smokiness that it comes with, but on successive brews it gives way to an interesting malty flavor and texture that starts to become like dark chocolate. Rooibos also is good for this if you are looking for a caffeine free alternative.

I had to look up where Chornomorsk was but I do not know much about tea culture in that region of the world - I know Russia made use of large kettles (samovars) and favored multiple brews of very strong tea, and lapsang souchong would likely have kept very well and met the flavor profile. Samovars are great for staying warm since it's a big-rear end hot kettle of water and kind of served as a communal gathering activity as well similar to how people would meet for coffee. Tea culture in that region of the world is actually pretty interesting!

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

I grew up with a big charcoal samovar! My ggma was very... Well, she was extremely of her time and of that place. And she loved a very very smoky tea brewed incredibly strong and hot like fire, and she was very insistent that we take a dark bread with either red cherry jam and butter on it, out a bread with smetana and either a fish or this sort of pickle, a big mug of tea and some soup. We could've shown up at five am or midnight or three in the afternoon, didn't matter. This was our routine. I loving loved it.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

I'm pretty sure my ggma would post in this thread if she were alive, if only to talk poo poo about my current snack and tea game. Get it together, hamjobs, Jesus, go make a loving bread and jam and at least boil some loving leaves.

Bilirubin

My favourite tea experience was at a shop in the Hangzhou airport where they had new harvest green tea on sale. I went in, could not read anything but prices, the shop keeper could not help me other than shaking her head as I pointed to various options. When she nodded I bought it.

Was excellent tea.

OMGVBFLOL posted:

Bright Bart

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
At one point I really wanted to try out the Kusmi range since it's so bourgeois they had to flee Russia during the revolution. But it's a little too expensive for tea I will steep too long and then gulp down cold when I finish reading the chapter of a book.

Bilirubin

it is time for tea

OMGVBFLOL posted:

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Milk oolong update: they're correct it's delicious

aldantefax

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

Bilirubin posted:

My favourite tea experience was at a shop in the Hangzhou airport where they had new harvest green tea on sale. I went in, could not read anything but prices, the shop keeper could not help me other than shaking her head as I pointed to various options. When she nodded I bought it.

Was excellent tea.

good

China has what they like to call "ten famous teas" and I forgot most of them except for Dragonwell (Longjing) and Iron Goddess (Tie Guan Yin). Jin xuan (milk oolong) might also be up there as well.

This is actually the time of year if you are looking to try dragonwell tea in its freshest form to get the 2021 longjing varietals. It is a very sweet and creamy kind of tea that is supposed to coincide with just before the first rains of qingming, which this year is April 4. If you have a chance to try dragonwell and get a preorder of it in, hopefully consider it as a nice treat. If someone invites you over for tea and breaks out the good poo poo, this is one of those kinds of teas that they'd serve when they really wanted to impress you.

Teddy Thunders posted:

I grew up with a big charcoal samovar! My ggma was very... Well, she was extremely of her time and of that place. And she loved a very very smoky tea brewed incredibly strong and hot like fire, and she was very insistent that we take a dark bread with either red cherry jam and butter on it, out a bread with smetana and either a fish or this sort of pickle, a big mug of tea and some soup. We could've shown up at five am or midnight or three in the afternoon, didn't matter. This was our routine. I loving loved it.

This is a good story. Samovars predate reliable electricity getting to people and have been around for a long-rear end time and given their size and importance almost certainly a thing that was well cared for and loved as part of the welcoming routine. In the steppes closer to Siberia it is also common to begin preparing tea as the first thing when camps get made though tea is more of a savory milk broth which ended up being the precursor to stuff like bulletproof coffee (and kinda sadly appropriated for that).

Fun fact: Cha is the word for tea in most of eastern europe and asia, where as tea came from cha being bastardized as it came back west as tcha, tay, and then tea, which ended up sticking. Chinese and Japanese written words use the same symbol for it too, so if you are looking at something and you have no idea what it is, then if it is suffixed by 茶 then you know you are gettin' some stuff.

Also, tea as a gift is interesting because there have been times where people will gift tea to people thinking they don't know anything about tea, but when they do comment "oh nice this tea is so and so", I have stories from a friend who the gift giver got super ashamed, took the tea back, and came back the next day to give some of the actual good poo poo they had

Also: duck poo poo oolong is good, try it if you can find it

Heath

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Duck poo poo is the poo poo and I wish I could have it more often

Planet X

GOOD MORNING
I bought some milk oolong today and am looking forward to it. not had it before so holler with any tips

aldantefax

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

Planet X posted:

I bought some milk oolong today and am looking forward to it. not had it before so holler with any tips

try with lower temperature hot water and give it a few rounds before it opens up w/ the milkyness.

Planet X

GOOD MORNING
guy at the shop said 185 for like 3 mins bit I've read shorter? Eh I'm trying not to overthink it but it's not cheap so don't wanna waste it. will try a few mins at first then go longer on successive steeps

Heath

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Planet X posted:

guy at the shop said 185 for like 3 mins bit I've read shorter? Eh I'm trying not to overthink it but it's not cheap so don't wanna waste it. will try a few mins at first then go longer on successive steeps

Are you using a pot or doing gongfu style?

Escape From Noise

Had some jasmine tea this morning. The last of it I think.

Having some honeybush in my Pop Team Epic mug because it's cold and I'm feeling lazy.

Planet X

GOOD MORNING

Heath posted:

Are you using a pot or doing gongfu style?

No I use a french press style vessel

Leraika

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
That's a very good mug.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

To Gongfu, Thanks For Everything! Julie Newmar

Gramps

I am exactly the kind of meganerd that could easily go down the rabbit hole with Tea like I have with beer, whisky, coffee, and cigars. Where do I start, tea goons? I love me some good old fashioned earl gray, but obviously there's a wide world of leaves out there.

Sig by Heather Papps

Escape From Noise

Gramps posted:

I am exactly the kind of meganerd that could easily go down the rabbit hole with Tea like I have with beer, whisky, coffee, and cigars. Where do I start, tea goons? I love me some good old fashioned earl gray, but obviously there's a wide world of leaves out there.

I'm a big fan of Chinese teas myself. There's a lot out there. Have you tried any oolongs? They're really varied with very distinct flavors.

Gramps

SweetWillyRollbar posted:

I'm a big fan of Chinese teas myself. There's a lot out there. Have you tried any oolongs? They're really varied with very distinct flavors.

I've tried very few teas. My wife was all about this one tea shop in the mall a few years back and the loose leaf Earl Gray from there was dope as hell, but I don't recall getting super adventurous. Time to order some samplers I think

Sig by Heather Papps

Leraika

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
actually if someone can recommend some good places to order samplers, I would also be interested

Buttchocks

No, I like my hat, thanks.

Leraika posted:

actually if someone can recommend some good places to order samplers, I would also be interested

https://www.theteasmith.com/gifts/tea-sampler-set/
https://fingerlakestea.com/product/mix-n-match-canister/

aldantefax

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
If you are looking for teas in general and want some places to start, the general regions for teas are: China, Japan, India, Sri Lanka (typically branded as Ceylon), and Kenya is up and coming, probably more beyond that.

Chinese teas have the largest variety and cover the entire range of stuff. They take their tea real seriously there and speculating tea futures on things like fermented puerh tea cakes is definitely a thing. I recommend the joint I used to buy stuff from if you're looking for samplers: http://www.aromateashop.com/ - if you want to figure out a palate for tea, then you might want to hit up your closest tea vendor that doesn't sell exclusively Lipton or whatnot and start drinking through their catalog and see what you like.

Japanese teas are usually machine-processed and have micro-varietals but generally are focused on green tea. More adventurous cultivars are starting to crop up and I was tasting some JP oolongs and they were not bad! Try Lupicia, Cha-to, or online Yunomi Life: https://yunomi.life/?currency=USD

A large amount of teas for big production and what the Western palate is most familiar with comes from India and Sri Lanka. Earl Grey is a scented black tea mostly finding its black tea base from those regions. English/Irish breakfast teas and more stronger, malty black tea blends you find at grocery stores (Lipton, Twinnings, PG Tips, etc) come from this.

I think if you want to get started w/ teas you are generally familiar with look for stuff from Twinnings and the like and see what your normal grocery store has to offer - lots of places here even in Texas stock things you wouldn't expect like Hime brand (Japanese brown rice tea) and if you're lucky you can score a box of Twinnings, which I prefer over Lipton.

These days I remain very lazy and just use teabags from Prince of Peace, which is a US-based company. Their green Jasmine tea is highly passable.

The main thing about getting more nerdy with tea will have to do with preparation - most Chinese teas, for example, are meant to be brewed through multiple rounds and their flavors will change in subtle ways as the leaves open up. Teas which predominantly depend on their extra flavors like Baja Berry Blast Butt Booster Teas you would have found at Teavana generally are done after one round.

Experiment: get yourself some tea bags from Twinnings, Harney & Sons, and Prince of Peace. They can be the same "type" (Earl Grey, etc) or they can be different. Try reusing the same teabag over multiple rounds and brew smaller tea batches, or larger batches with a tea pot. Which one do you like more? What falvors etc. do you like? Do you like having snacks with your tea, or drinking it by itself? When do you drink the tea? How is the temperature around you when drinking tea?

Lots of thought goes into tea preparation and people tend to associate all manner of things with tea, so it's got a lot of room for pomp, circumstance, and experimentation

Escape From Noise

I never got samplers from them but Tao of Tea in Portland had great stuff
https://taooftea.com/woocommerce-search/?rs=Sampler&search_in=product&cat_in=all&search_other=product%2Cpost%2Cpage

aldantefax

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
Also re: Yunomi, they partner most often with tea growers directly and sometimes those growers get a bit silly

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaMgWNKGwrQ

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Seconding both Aroma and Tao of Tea. Tao was my local shop for a long time; I still order primarily from them for a lot of my blends I drink every day.

Coffee chat: I just got another burr grinder. It's the Baratza branded Bosch conical burr, it's really nice and I got it for less than a hundo on sale. It's my second; I literally destroyed the first by accident by knocking it into a sink full of water and sanitizer. Otherwise it would still be chugging at a decade old.

Bright Bart

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
Everything is better when it's from Africa.

Escape From Noise

Gonna have some Chinese green tea (at least I'm pretty sure that's what it is) someone gifted me ages ago.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

SweetWillyRollbar posted:

Gonna have some Chinese green tea (at least I'm pretty sure that's what it is) someone gifted me ages ago.

Lemme see the tin, I can read

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vivian Darkbloom

What kind of teas make good unsweetened iced tea? I think jasmine is pretty good.