Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Taeke posted:

I'm reminded of Sam Riegel's character Nott in Critical Role. I recently discovered that they've got fairly good Dutch subtitles on youtube so I rewatched a bit of the first episode to show some kids I work with what D&D is like.

It struck me how different his character's accent is from later on. The voice is the same, but when he introduces himself Nott has a fairly thick Cockney accent (he even responds to other players' laughter along the line of "Oh yeah, I'm doing this motherfuckers!") but drops that for the most part fairly soon iirc.

It's just too thick of an accent, and not just hard to keep up for hours on end but also distracting unnecessarily while not really adding all that much to the character.

character voices are generally the least important part of a character

well, let me backpedal that. character accents are generally the least important part of a character. inflection and tone and delivery are all important but you can do that in your normal speaking voice. character accents are mostly an aesthetic choice (roughly akin to what color your armor is) devoid of actual real world class and cultural signifiers because d&d doesn’t technically have a region analogous to “the american south” or “northern england”. as a bit of world building accents might mean different things (and that’s a fun thing to work with the dm on!) and used to either set up or subvert your expectations for what people are like, but it’s not worth losing sleep over, and i’ve noticed a lot of newer players worrying that their voice work might not be as good as the paid professional voice actors on critical role

so yeah, don’t make your character voice hard to do (i like southern drawls and scottish brogues and occasionally a midatlantic accent but otherwise just use my regular speaking voice pitched higher or lower as needed) and don’t stress out if you can’t do a good, cool voice or perfect accent. nobody’s gonna grade your authenticity and if they do they’re an rear end in a top hat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

nelson posted:

It’s not as strong as you think. It only happens when you roll a natural 1, so about 5 percent of the time. It is handy sometimes but I also remember rolling lots of 2s when I played a halfling. Plus the reroll isn’t a guaranteed success either. Let’s say you need to roll a 10 to hit. You roll a one and think to yourself “Okay cool, I can roll again!” Then you roll a 9.

It's very nice if you're playing a gunslinger whose weapon jams on a 1.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
The real nice thing about it is that it affects every d20 roll, including death saves.

But I swear being a Halfling means you just never roll a nat1 at any point anyway. Current game I'm in has been ongoing for nearly a year now and I've not rolled a single one yet.

Nemo
Feb 24, 2001

Uh! Double up Uh! Uh!
My halfling bard rolled double 1s twice during the Tiamat fight at the end of Rise of Tiamat. Otherwise it was awesome free advantage 5% of the time.

Plus halflings can run through the squares of medium opponents for double movement cost. They’re a really great race.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Declan MacManus posted:

character voices are generally the least important part of a character

well, let me backpedal that. character accents are generally the least important part of a character. inflection and tone and delivery are all important but you can do that in your normal speaking voice. character accents are mostly an aesthetic choice (roughly akin to what color your armor is) devoid of actual real world class and cultural signifiers because d&d doesn’t technically have a region analogous to “the american south” or “northern england”. as a bit of world building accents might mean different things (and that’s a fun thing to work with the dm on!) and used to either set up or subvert your expectations for what people are like, but it’s not worth losing sleep over, and i’ve noticed a lot of newer players worrying that their voice work might not be as good as the paid professional voice actors on critical role

so yeah, don’t make your character voice hard to do (i like southern drawls and scottish brogues and occasionally a midatlantic accent but otherwise just use my regular speaking voice pitched higher or lower as needed) and don’t stress out if you can’t do a good, cool voice or perfect accent. nobody’s gonna grade your authenticity and if they do they’re an rear end in a top hat

Yeah, I never do accents because I suck at them. Instead I do what you suggest, use tone, inflection and delivery, introduce a vocal tic or particular speech pattern, making it a bit more breathy, smoother or rougher, etc. while never actually changing my voice or accent at all.

I also rarely do extended monologues or conversations in character, both as a player and DM. Usually when it's longer than a couple of sentences I'll do the first bit in character and the rest in a narrative voice:
"Aye, those bandits been causing us heaps 'o trouble over the past couple o' years, 'specially 'round them parts where the ol' mill used to be.

The Dwarf barkeep explains that raids on caravans have been fairly common, sometimes occurring several times a month even, but because of the war in the east the local authorities haven't been able to spare the manpower to deal with the problem even though it's fairly obvious to everyone an old mill and accompanying farmhouse is their base of operation. [Some more info on the location and what to expect.]

Now we ain't wealthy like they are up in the big city, but we've got some nice trinkets we'd be willing to part with if you were to help us out.

The townsfolk themselves haven't been able to stand up to the bandits but they have put together a nice reward to entice a daring group of adventurers such as yourselves. It's not much in coin, but there's a couple of valuable gems and even a couple of magic potions in it for you if you choose to accept."

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Taeke posted:

It struck me how different his character's accent is from later on. The voice is the same, but when he introduces himself Nott has a fairly thick Cockney accent (he even responds to other players' laughter along the line of "Oh yeah, I'm doing this motherfuckers!") but drops that for the most part fairly soon iirc.
Do you mean later on as in later Nott, or as Veth? It definitely smooths out a little with later Nott, but there's a big difference between Nott's voice and Veth's voice as well.

I was really, really impressed by Liam's Ogre voice in the latest Narrative Telephone. Right at the end of the video they have a whole discussion about seeing who can make their voice 'go big' and they all still sound like a normal person doing a voice, which is impressive considering they're all professional voice actors, some of them with decades of experience. There's something about Liam's pace and intonation though that makes it completely believable as an ogre (skip to 1 minute in for the voice).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ol9rNrfRBqA

Also in Taliesin's Cthulhu one-shot. Most of the characters are doing very vanilla accents to start with, but about halfway through he switches accents to a pretty consistent northern ireland after his charlatan character realises that this is now so serious that keeping up the act is pointless. It's also cool because you realise that all the time he's been making mysticism checks, they've more been psychology checks to see if the rest of the party believes his shtick (skip to 2:45:10 for the scene where he switches).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0uhqZdJ8swQ

I was trying to do an Irish accent recently but had to drop it - I've found certain accents also come with specific words and ways of wording things that don't come naturally, Irish and Scottish being two of them. I was spending too long thinking about what to say along with the issues with voice chat delays and not joining in as well as I could have been.

There are certain words that are just difficult to say in a Scots accent that I think natural speakers subconsciously avoid in a way I don't, so I trip myself up a lot. I might practice more and do it once we're able to meet up in person, but probably not over discord voice chat like we're doing now.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Mar 3, 2021

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I was trying to do an Irish accent recently but had to drop it - I've found certain accents also come with specific words and ways of wording things that don't come naturally, Irish and Scottish being two of them. I was spending too long thinking about what to say along with the issues with voice chat delays and not joining in as well as I could have been.

There are certain words that are just difficult to say in a Scots accent that I think natural speakers subconsciously avoid in a way I don't, so I trip myself up a lot. I might practice more and do it once we're able to meet up in person, but probably not over discord voice chat like we're doing now.

If there's any particular words you'd like to hear pronounced by a scotsman to let you work on it, I'm happy to record myself, if that helps.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Do you mean later on as in later Nott, or as Veth? It definitely smooths out a little with later Nott, but there's a big difference between Nott's voice and Veth's voice as well.

I mean even before Veth. He definitely smooths it out a lot, dropping a lot of the glottal stops for example because (I'm guessing) it's too much of a conscious effort to keep it up, which is distracting from actually playing an already well enough rounded character that doesn't need it. Sam has enough ADD going on at the best of times without having to consciously put in the effort for what what amounts to an unnecessarily strong gimmick accent. I just skipped around a couple of episodes and even in episode two you can tell a strong difference. Nott still has a British accent but it's already a lot more generic and less Cockney.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/the_strix/status/1367169221453443072

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

DND: GO

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
After all the jokes about 4e being a tabletop MMO, I'm honestly curious what the mechanics/rules of this game will end up looking like.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Reveilled posted:

If there's any particular words you'd like to hear pronounced by a scotsman to let you work on it, I'm happy to record myself, if that helps.
It's more the rhythm and word choice. For example I imagine in a british accent saying:

I'm not going to do that.

If I try to do that in a Scottish accent it doesn't sound right, it comes out more naturally as

I'm no gonnae do that.

Even then, depending on how thick the accent is, the 'do' might be more like 'dae' and that affects the flow of the sentance - I feel like a natural Scot would put a different word after 'dae' like 'dae it' instead. And depending on Dae or Do affects where the stress on the words sounds like it should go.

I can't think of a better example off the top of my head but the celtic accent / dialect has a distict flow to it that I have to stop and think about.

I don't know the right terminology for it, but with a Northern Irish accent you have a similar problem. Saying something happens 'hourly' is something my brother's in-laws from Newtownabbey automatically reword to 'on the hour' or 'every hour,' but if you're not a natural speaker it's a hell of a burden trying to make those corrections on the fly.

Years ago I watched a video about how if you're going to imitate an accent, then imitate one personality from that area who's voice you're familiar with, otherwise you might be trying to do a 'scottish' accent and mixing bits of David Tennant Edinburgh with Kevin Bridges Dumbarton accent, or Billy Coonoly's Glasgow. And even within Glasgow you have codified differences between catholic and protestant, rich and poor areas.

It's weird because Scottish is such a hard accent to pull off well, and yet thanks to the All Dwarves Are Scottish trope, there has emerged a fairly consistent accent used by American voice actors in fantasy games (e.g. Dun Morogh dwarves in WoW) that sounds consistent and obeys its own set of rules, and yet I doubt you could find a single scottish person who speaks with that accent.

Erik Singer's videos for Wired are great, and I wish they'd put them on their own channel or playlist because they're great, but I'm at the mercy of YouTube's algorithm as to whether I get more of them or spiderelsa.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuFCoDqLmY0

And then there's Castle's Geordie episode:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ei1DnFdJrww

It hurts.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Mar 3, 2021

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I hope its Eberron based

Who am I kidding

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I hope its Eberron Dark Sun based

Who am I kidding

FTFY

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I hope its based

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

I should play https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_Sun:_Shattered_Lands

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
There's a Dark Sun MMO:
https://youtu.be/k3Q1acNbgiA

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Yes you should. It's an excellent game.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

its going to be set in rick and morty

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

pog boyfriend posted:

At least it isn't faerun.

edit-nothing really wrong with Faerun......it is just way overrepresented

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

pog boyfriend posted:

"We're going to the Sword Coast, Morty!"

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Honestly setting it in Faerun is fine, just like I dunno anywhere other than the sword coast.

What's Cormyr up to nowadays?

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Bobby Deluxe posted:

It's more the rhythm and word choice. For example I imagine in a british accent saying:

I'm not going to do that.

If I try to do that in a Scottish accent it doesn't sound right, it comes out more naturally as

I'm no gonnae do that.

Even then, depending on how thick the accent is, the 'do' might be more like 'dae' and that affects the flow of the sentance - I feel like a natural Scot would put a different word after 'dae' like 'dae it' instead. And depending on Dae or Do affects where the stress on the words sounds like it should go.

I can't think of a better example off the top of my head but the celtic accent / dialect has a distict flow to it that I have to stop and think about.

I don't know the right terminology for it, but with a Northern Irish accent you have a similar problem. Saying something happens 'hourly' is something my brother's in-laws from Newtownabbey automatically reword to 'on the hour' or 'every hour,' but if you're not a natural speaker it's a hell of a burden trying to make those corrections on the fly.

Years ago I watched a video about how if you're going to imitate an accent, then imitate one personality from that area who's voice you're familiar with, otherwise you might be trying to do a 'scottish' accent and mixing bits of David Tennant Edinburgh with Kevin Bridges Dumbarton accent, or Billy Coonoly's Glasgow. And even within Glasgow you have codified differences between catholic and protestant, rich and poor areas.

It's weird because Scottish is such a hard accent to pull off well, and yet thanks to the All Dwarves Are Scottish trope, there has emerged a fairly consistent accent used by American voice actors in fantasy games (e.g. Dun Morogh dwarves in WoW) that sounds consistent and obeys its own set of rules, and yet I doubt you could find a single scottish person who speaks with that accent.

I wouldn't worry overmuch about mixing up the specific areas of Scotland, at least for a D&D! If you're going up on stage then it's definitely worth considering, but fantasy's already a melange of cultural tropes, who's to say a Neverwinterian accent can't be a unique Scottish accent rather than just a copy of one from real life. I do agree that there's essentially what you might call a "softened stereotypical" scottish accent that is used for Dwarves a lot. It's not really reflective of any scottish accent, and I'd say it's probably more descended from the Groundskeeper Willie accent, but then consciously softened to sound less ridiculous.

You're also right though that it varies a lot by wealth and location. One advantage you might have here though is that the prestige accent, Standard Scottish English, doesn't really do the stereotypical "scotticisms". This is my natural accent, and for me the example sentence would be "I'm not gonna do that" in normal speech, or "I am not going to do that" for emphasis/defiance. So chances are if you say sentences like that in a scottish accent, what you have is probably a posh scottish accent rather than a bad one. Put it on the lips of a burgher or a noble and it wouldn't sound out of place, per se.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Madmarker posted:

edit-nothing really wrong with Faerun......it is just way overrepresented

Faerun is fine, just there's more to it than the loving Sword Coast.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack
I have some well-documented beefs with a lot of the major design ethos of Forgotten Realms as a setting and really REALLY want them to give some attention to almost any other setting.

They don't have to stop with the Forgotten Realms stuff, I just want them to also release stuff for another setting so I can go back to ignoring FR entirely.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

KingKalamari posted:

I have some well-documented beefs with a lot of the major design ethos of Forgotten Realms as a setting and really REALLY want them to give some attention to almost any other setting.

They don't have to stop with the Forgotten Realms stuff, I just want them to also release stuff for another setting so I can go back to ignoring FR entirely.

Please, I'd like to hear your thoughts about the beefs you have. (In an honest, adult fair conversation, not being sarcastic here.)

Cormyr got embroiled in a bit of a civil war in 4e, but King Foril pushed an FR equivalent to the Magna Carta which is pretty cool imo.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

KingKalamari posted:

you can always play in exandria i guess. i honestly wouldnt be terribly surprised if wizards started doing more stuff with that

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

pog boyfriend posted:

you can always play in exandria i guess. i honestly wouldnt be terribly surprised if wizards started doing more stuff with that

I would be.

They'd have to pay Matt Mercer money to do that I'd assume lol.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Dexo posted:

I would be.

Depends what kind of deal WotC have worked out with Mercer, also maybe WotC would weigh the amount they'd have to pay him against the potential additional sales from a CR related product.

Heck I've got a gut feeling BG3 will have a CR related DLC in the future :v:

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
In one of my games I’m playing a half-orc with a Russian accent. It is very dumb and balances her very serious backstory quite well.

Speaking of, I rolled pretty ridiculous stats and am planning her as a Phantom Rogue who has become a follower of Jergal, Scribe of the Dead. So I’m keeping a google doc of every sentient creature we’ve killed, how they died, and what their likely religion was (if possible). As a good follower should.

With so much focus on death death death, I was considering playing around and multi-classing as a maybe Hexblade Warlock but keep hating the trade offs because some of the late Phantom powers are so dope.

We’re level 2 and I probably wouldn’t deviate until level 9 so I can get my Soul Trinkets, but I wondered if y’all had some thoughts on what’s worth trading off and what’s not. Obviously there’s no rush, but making possible builds is at least half the fun.

Read my brothers’ AD&D books obsessively as a little kid, but have rarely had the chance to play until the last few years. So I’m both not a newbie and kind of am.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Geekboy posted:

With so much focus on death death death, I was considering playing around and multi-classing as a maybe Hexblade Warlock but keep hating the trade offs because some of the late Phantom powers are so dope.

We’re level 2 and I probably wouldn’t deviate until level 9 so I can get my Soul Trinkets, but I wondered if y’all had some thoughts on what’s worth trading off and what’s not.

hexblade is powerful because you can just drop into it one level and immediately return to what you were doing before without thinking about it much. you can pop a second level for invocations too if you want but its not necessary to dip deep. almost no games actually get into level 20 so aside from capstones you can usually get every major piece of progression with a 1-3 level dip into hexblade to get the flavour and the main surface level benefits

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

Arivia posted:

Please, I'd like to hear your thoughts about the beefs you have. (In an honest, adult fair conversation, not being sarcastic here.)

Just as a quick run-down of some of the bigger issues I can think of:

- The worldbuilding and setting dynamics are heavily tied into old D&D tropes I'm not particularly fond overall. Stuff like biological determinism of characters based on fantasy race, readily available high level magic, gods that objectively exist and constantly dick around the mortal realm rendering the subjectivity and conflicting worldviews of religious institutions completely moot, codified alignments that render good and evil as objectively measurable elements, etc., etc.
- It's a generic fantasy setting that borrows heavily from the earlier fantasy works Ed Greenwood read as a kid, but it doesn't really bring anything new or different to the table.
- The setting is needlessly detailed, which is not necessarily a problem except for the fact that this detail tends to be on stuff that doesn't in any way matter from the perspective of a GM or player. We are told at the beginning of every modern module how tendays work, while skipping over far more important things like providing maps of all the locations the players are likely to visit, or giving hooks for why the party should give a gently caress about the actual adventure.
- High level magic is ridiculously common, which is already something I'm not super fond of, but it's not really integrated into the setting in any meaningful or logical way. Despite there being at least one high-level spellcaster in pretty much any given town society is still operating on a generic, renaissance-era level of technological and societal development.
- Hardcore medieval stasis: The world has an incredibly long and detailed history that nonetheless does not see a lot of progress or change from a societal POV. While I'm a huge fan of ancient ruins and lost societies, the fact that the ruins of Forgotten Realms are all from societies that were functionally identical to the settings current societies completely hampers my enjoyment.
- On that note: A largescale design tendency towards maintaining the setting's established status quo. This is something other D&D settings have fallen into from time to time, but FR is probably the most writ-large case of this. Published material gives off a very "look, don't touch" vibe to it with measures constantly enacted to prevent PCs from shaking up the setting's status quo.
- The setting is far too enamored of its own NPCs. This goes beyond even the usual complaints of heavy hitters like Elminster or Driz'zt: FR adventure modules have long had a habit of showering lavish attention on heroic NPCs it's clear the writers think are really neat, often to the point of having these NPCs render the players narratively redundant.
- Way too many immortal, invincible heavy hitter NPCs wandering around. Modules will frequently devote large amounts of page space to setting up cameos for characters from the tie-in novels that have absolutely no bearing on the adventure as a whole.
- The same four or five factions show up as the movers and shakers in every single area.
- More than anything else, Forgotten Realms feels less like a setting designed for players to adventure in and more as a setting for D&D spin-off books or, before that, Ed Greenwood's little fantasy stories. Players are discouraged from having a large-scale impact on the setting and the ability for players to actually interact with the setting in-game feels like a grudging afterthought rather than a design goal.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
I do find it surprising that we've not even seen Amn and Tethyr in this edition, when for a lot of people Baldur's Gate 2 might be their main point of familiarity with the setting.

Personally, as a fan of FR, my main criticism of it is that nobody who's been in a book can just loving die. The setting's moved on like 200 years but almost all of the major NPCs that were kicking about in 2nd Edition are still active right now. And yes, I know, there's in-setting explanations for pretty much everyone, but just, ehh. Oh, we want Minsc to be alive? Umm...turned into a statue, yep. Volo? Imprisoned, and then conveniently released just in time for 5th edition. It's cynical nostalgia bait, imo, and it's one of the things that also keeps the adventures chained to the sword coast, because all the most popular novels and video games were set there.

I'm straying now more into adventure design than the setting (and I hope you'll forgive the rant), but I think the most infuriating example of this for me personally was Artus Cimber in Tomb of Annihilation. He gets this big huge sidebar in the intro to chapter 2 and there's just something about the way that it's written that seems to just assume you know who he is and will be excited to find out he's in the adventure. But ultimately you're almost certainly not going to know who he is unless you're a massive lore nerd, and most DMs players are not going to know who he is because they were probably younger than the book he was in, so him appearing is just this complete wet fart that's then compounded by him having literally nothing useful to do in the adventure.

There's been 200 years of great heroes saving Toril time after time, but we're still saddled with characters from the 90s and earlier. What happened to all the people in between? I'd much rather those people from so long ago just fade into the background if they're not going to outright die. I enjoy them because of nostalgia, but they awkward and wooden when I try to present them to my players who know nothing of the setting. Pretty much the only one of these old characters I've landed a hit with in terms of the new players liking them is Jarlaxle, and that's practically cheating because he's a swashbuckling pirate king.

By contrast, the Blackstaff Tower characters in Dragon Heist, just popped more, for lack of a better word. Players wanted to spend more time with them. Maybe cause they're younger, maybe cause they're a bit more diverse, maybe cause I didn't have some cloud of nostalgia loving up my RP, I dunno. In any case, it's not that I think established characters is bad, but I really do think FR would benefit from a focus on new characters, younger people who maybe reflect some more modern sensibilities about fantasy fiction.

Sorry if that was a bit of a rambly rant, I didn't realise I wanted to get that off my chest so bad.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Reveilled posted:

I do find it surprising that we've not even seen Amn and Tethyr in this edition, when for a lot of people Baldur's Gate 2 might be their main point of familiarity with the setting.

Personally, as a fan of FR, my main criticism of it is that nobody who's been in a book can just loving die. The setting's moved on like 200 years but almost all of the major NPCs that were kicking about in 2nd Edition are still active right now. And yes, I know, there's in-setting explanations for pretty much everyone, but just, ehh. Oh, we want Minsc to be alive? Umm...turned into a statue, yep. Volo? Imprisoned, and then conveniently released just in time for 5th edition. It's cynical nostalgia bait, imo, and it's one of the things that also keeps the adventures chained to the sword coast, because all the most popular novels and video games were set there.

I'm straying now more into adventure design than the setting (and I hope you'll forgive the rant), but I think the most infuriating example of this for me personally was Artus Cimber in Tomb of Annihilation. He gets this big huge sidebar in the intro to chapter 2 and there's just something about the way that it's written that seems to just assume you know who he is and will be excited to find out he's in the adventure. But ultimately you're almost certainly not going to know who he is unless you're a massive lore nerd, and most DMs players are not going to know who he is because they were probably younger than the book he was in, so him appearing is just this complete wet fart that's then compounded by him having literally nothing useful to do in the adventure.

There's been 200 years of great heroes saving Toril time after time, but we're still saddled with characters from the 90s and earlier. What happened to all the people in between? I'd much rather those people from so long ago just fade into the background if they're not going to outright die. I enjoy them because of nostalgia, but they awkward and wooden when I try to present them to my players who know nothing of the setting. Pretty much the only one of these old characters I've landed a hit with in terms of the new players liking them is Jarlaxle, and that's practically cheating because he's a swashbuckling pirate king.

By contrast, the Blackstaff Tower characters in Dragon Heist, just popped more, for lack of a better word. Players wanted to spend more time with them. Maybe cause they're younger, maybe cause they're a bit more diverse, maybe cause I didn't have some cloud of nostalgia loving up my RP, I dunno. In any case, it's not that I think established characters is bad, but I really do think FR would benefit from a focus on new characters, younger people who maybe reflect some more modern sensibilities about fantasy fiction.

Sorry if that was a bit of a rambly rant, I didn't realise I wanted to get that off my chest so bad.
its masturbatory dogshit and i hate it every time they shoehorn it into a module. i think the worst one by far for me was in curse of strahd where there is a huge reveal that mordenkainen is the mad mage!!! because of the sheer importance placed on this shocking twist that i would wager the majority of players could not possibly care about. it just weighs down modules and doesnt add anything and you are absolutely right about this

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Reveilled posted:

So it's kind of both? Like you're squarely right to say that the current creative staff doesn't give a poo poo about people who aren't in the novels. As a longtime fan who's read a bunch, I've never read the Ring of Winter myself. I know and like Dragonbait, but why the absolute gently caress is he involved in all this either?

I think it's less that the old characters aren't interesting but that the timeskip and 5e's myopic focus on the novel heroes means they've dropped all the longtime supporting characters that ARE interesting and useful in novels. Blackstaff Tower works because Steven Schend wrote for the Realms for a decade and knows how to set up supporting characters to be useful to other creators and GMs. But all the work that had been previously done to set up interesting settings and characters - not ones that overshadow the PCs, but ones that are meant to facilitate good game play and create interesting roleplaying - was tossed out in the timeskip or in 5e so the world feels less alive and not as directly useful. Older FR supplements and novels are set up with tons of stuff to facilitate this and 5e just doesn't care.

If you've got Dragonbait, why not Mintassan the Sage? So that's a character from the exact same set of books to facilitate player knowledge instead of doing things for them.

It's absolutely cynical commercial nostalgia bait, and it speaks to the shallowness of 5e that they're not doing better.

e:

KingKalamari posted:

Just as a quick run-down of some of the bigger issues I can think of:

- The worldbuilding and setting dynamics are heavily tied into old D&D tropes I'm not particularly fond overall. Stuff like biological determinism of characters based on fantasy race, readily available high level magic, gods that objectively exist and constantly dick around the mortal realm rendering the subjectivity and conflicting worldviews of religious institutions completely moot, codified alignments that render good and evil as objectively measurable elements, etc., etc.
- It's a generic fantasy setting that borrows heavily from the earlier fantasy works Ed Greenwood read as a kid, but it doesn't really bring anything new or different to the table.
- The setting is needlessly detailed, which is not necessarily a problem except for the fact that this detail tends to be on stuff that doesn't in any way matter from the perspective of a GM or player. We are told at the beginning of every modern module how tendays work, while skipping over far more important things like providing maps of all the locations the players are likely to visit, or giving hooks for why the party should give a gently caress about the actual adventure.
- High level magic is ridiculously common, which is already something I'm not super fond of, but it's not really integrated into the setting in any meaningful or logical way. Despite there being at least one high-level spellcaster in pretty much any given town society is still operating on a generic, renaissance-era level of technological and societal development.
- Hardcore medieval stasis: The world has an incredibly long and detailed history that nonetheless does not see a lot of progress or change from a societal POV. While I'm a huge fan of ancient ruins and lost societies, the fact that the ruins of Forgotten Realms are all from societies that were functionally identical to the settings current societies completely hampers my enjoyment.
- On that note: A largescale design tendency towards maintaining the setting's established status quo. This is something other D&D settings have fallen into from time to time, but FR is probably the most writ-large case of this. Published material gives off a very "look, don't touch" vibe to it with measures constantly enacted to prevent PCs from shaking up the setting's status quo.
- The setting is far too enamored of its own NPCs. This goes beyond even the usual complaints of heavy hitters like Elminster or Driz'zt: FR adventure modules have long had a habit of showering lavish attention on heroic NPCs it's clear the writers think are really neat, often to the point of having these NPCs render the players narratively redundant.
- Way too many immortal, invincible heavy hitter NPCs wandering around. Modules will frequently devote large amounts of page space to setting up cameos for characters from the tie-in novels that have absolutely no bearing on the adventure as a whole.
- The same four or five factions show up as the movers and shakers in every single area.
- More than anything else, Forgotten Realms feels less like a setting designed for players to adventure in and more as a setting for D&D spin-off books or, before that, Ed Greenwood's little fantasy stories. Players are discouraged from having a large-scale impact on the setting and the ability for players to actually interact with the setting in-game feels like a grudging afterthought rather than a design goal.

I disagree with this as a treatment of the setting overall but I think it's an accurate criticism of how it's presented in 5e, for sure.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
Not a problem with the setting so much as it's just a setting adjacent example of WotC showing literally no effor at all, but when I read Descent into Avernus in preparation for running it I was flabbergasted to discover that the secret plot the players are trying to uncover in chapter 1 is that the villain is paying dead three cultists to do some murders in order to "shatter confidence in the Flaming Fist", which will lead to the city ceasing to pay them, which will lead to them disbanding, Which is such a fundamental misunderstanding of just, everything, that I just can't believe anyone with even a passing familiarity with the city's lore or even real life was involved in writing that. A bunch of murders. In the loving murder capital of the Sword Coast. Who would give a poo poo. As to defunding and disbanding the Flaming Fist, just, loving, smh.

-- The Flaming Fist, right before they Coup your dumb rear end

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Dexo posted:

I would be.

I assume WoTC learned from the Ed Greenwood/FR contract and have told Baker/Mercer/et al to shove it when it comes to setting royalties

In the FR, i swear I recall something where if a country gets too progressive/innovative/status quo changing, the Harpers come around and threaten them to knock it off and remain in the stone age

Nissin Cup Nudist fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Mar 4, 2021

Yusin
Mar 4, 2021

pog boyfriend posted:

its masturbatory dogshit and i hate it every time they shoehorn it into a module. i think the worst one by far for me was in curse of strahd where there is a huge reveal that mordenkainen is the mad mage!!! because of the sheer importance placed on this shocking twist that i would wager the majority of players could not possibly care about. it just weighs down modules and doesnt add anything and you are absolutely right about this

Are cameos that big of a deal? That spoiler you are talking about is just that a cameo, it's not actually important to the plot or supposed to be a shocking twist.

Yusin fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Mar 4, 2021

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Wrong thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Yusin posted:

Are cameos that big of a deal? That spoiler you are talking about is just that a cameo, it's not actually important to the plot or supposed to be a shocking twist.

I think it's emblematic of how they choose to spend their limited book space. They couldn't be bothered to include a full set of maps or character hooks, but you can sure as hell bet that they wasted a bunch of writing/editing time and energy slapping a needless cameo for someone the vast majority of players won't even recognize, let alone actually think it's cool they showed up. My group is newer and if, to pull a big name NPC out of a hat, Mordenkainen showed up, the only thing they're going to know him from is the Dead Alewives skit where one of the characters argues about whether or not they cast Mordenkainen's Spiteful Watchdog.

Spoilering I guess just in case, not referencing any specific module.

The average module I've seen has more creative energy spend shoehorning in a cameo than it spends coming up with actual character hooks to get the PCs going. I'm running Tales of the Yawning Portal and my group is on Forge of Fury and literally the only adventure hook given is "there's a place with a ton of loot in it, you should have your players go there for loot". Hope your party is full of murder hobos, because if not, guess they're not going to have any reason to do the whole drat module. On one side, yeah it isn't hard to come up with decent generic adventure hooks, so it's not like the fact that they weren't included is a huge deal. But on the other side, it isn't hard to come up with decent generic adventure hooks so why the hell don't the writers come up with them?

And that puts aside the whole Yawning Portal thing in general in that book, which is a literal important NPC magnet, complete with tables about how likely the PCs are to meet someone of great importance who just happens to be there either on an important mission of world importance or...just having a drink. Now, you'd think with that kind of a setup that the modules would all be linked back there at the beginning and end. Well, you'd think that, but you'd be wrong. After spending a dozen pages introducing it in loving details, there's nothing more about it as far as I've gotten. I can see how it could be used to tie things together, but they don't even pay lip service to it in the modules. Just a gigantic info dump at the front with no follow up.

I get that the book is modernizing old modules that don't tie together, but it's pretty emblematic of how they waste tons of space on poo poo that doesn't matter and never will matter rather than putting in things that are universally useful.