Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Camel Camus
Jun 16, 2009

Mais, non, je suis fantastique!

I'm kind of psyched that some of my favorite healers are at the top of the pack currently, but man it does feel like the role has never been in a more unequal spot. Deckard and Alex especially feel like a struggle to keep up with the others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

I don't know what she's like at the moment, but the most fun I've ever had as a healer has been with Alex. Against teams that either can't reach you or don't know they need to in order to counter you, you can do an insane amount of sustain with her Q when you have the CDR and flower picking talents. I've never been able to shore up a weak team as effortlessly with any other healer.

Then there's the ult where you leap into the air and rain fire down on them as they scatter, then you land safely and rejoin the fray. That ult and her active trait make her one of the greatest fantasy wins HotS has to offer.

Gameko
Feb 23, 2006

The friend of all children!

Camel Camus posted:

I'm kind of psyched that some of my favorite healers are at the top of the pack currently, but man it does feel like the role has never been in a more unequal spot. Deckard and Alex especially feel like a struggle to keep up with the others.

Yeah there feels like a MAJOR disparity among the healers. Comparing Deckard to Anduin is night and day. Anduin brings a ton of utility, worthwhile sustained dps, individual survivability, and a variety of interesting builds. Deckard's abilities require a lot of skill to pull off...his non-heal abilities have a long wind up and are dodgeable, and his heals are dependent on chucking a potion on someone's head OR having your teammate pick them up. Deckard's damage is abysmal, AND it's melee damage!

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
Deckard is fine. You can make his healing output insane with the right picks. Yes, his abilities are slow but they also have massive AOE, and while his auto-attack blows his actual damage is often pretty decent - at least for siege damage. IMO the actually poor healers are:
Morales - her kit is fine on paper but in practice she is always energy-starved and can't actually heal enough considering she adds zero damage or CC; and
Ana - this is mostly because I only queue ARAM and quickplay, she requires a lot of support from the team plus the right opposing team so she's probably much better in ranked.

Everyone else does pretty well. I suppose Khaz can be a bit squishy against the wrong team but his upside against the right team makes up for that. He can at least escape consistently if things go downhill, which is more than Ana can say.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

orangelex44 posted:

Deckard is fine. You can make his healing output insane with the right picks. Yes, his abilities are slow but they also have massive AOE, and while his auto-attack blows his actual damage is often pretty decent - at least for siege damage. IMO the actually poor healers are:
Morales - her kit is fine on paper but in practice she is always energy-starved and can't actually heal enough considering she adds zero damage or CC; and
Ana - this is mostly because I only queue ARAM and quickplay, she requires a lot of support from the team plus the right opposing team so she's probably much better in ranked.

Everyone else does pretty well. I suppose Khaz can be a bit squishy against the wrong team but his upside against the right team makes up for that. He can at least escape consistently if things go downhill, which is more than Ana can say.

Morales does struggle - she's focused on lane ganking which just isn't a feature of HOTS these days. Her success is very contingent on composition, which you have very little control of in the QM/ARAM modes that people actually play. I've had success with Ana when I focus on her sleep talents. She can still deliver lots of healing but becomes much more disruptive.

Karma Guard
Jun 21, 2006
Just one spray keeps bad karma away!
Morales' problem is that her one non-healing/protective ability actively fucks with everyone elses' aiming. She doesn't bring anything but a fuckload of healing, which, you know, sure, but it'd SURE be nice to have some sort of way to get away from people. It's not even useful as self-protection like Lucio's boop because of the grenade aspect. I've totally blown enemies into teammates with it, and into ME.

Deckard owns just because his healing is disjointed; I can plop a potion down by a gate and gently caress off to the other lane. This disjoint is the same reason I love Boombox. I can heal in two lanes, babey!!! :sun:

I'm absolute dogshit with Alex and I am endlessly impressed with Good Alexes and Whitemanes. It's a shame because they're really cool. I really have come to like Malfurion as a healer, though. The little goofy minigame of popping people with W is fun!

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

Karma Guard posted:

Morales' problem is that her one non-healing/protective ability actively fucks with everyone elses' aiming. She doesn't bring anything but a fuckload of healing, which, you know, sure, but it'd SURE be nice to have some sort of way to get away from people. It's not even useful as self-protection like Lucio's boop because of the grenade aspect. I've totally blown enemies into teammates with it, and into ME.

you could use the dropship :smuggo:

Karma Guard posted:

I'm absolute dogshit with Alex and I am endlessly impressed with Good Alexes and Whitemanes. It's a shame because they're really cool. I really have come to like Malfurion as a healer, though. The little goofy minigame of popping people with W is fun!

god yes, completely agree. likewise, I played against an exceptionally good Tyrande last night in QM. I've been playing this game for 4 years and I still can't figure out how to make her not utter dogshit.

Karma Guard
Jun 21, 2006
Just one spray keeps bad karma away!

cmdrk posted:

you could use the dropship :smuggo:

I'll give up drugs when they come arrest me :argh:

cmdrk posted:

god yes, completely agree. likewise, I played against an exceptionally good Tyrande last night in QM. I've been playing this game for 4 years and I still can't figure out how to make her not utter dogshit.

I liked the version before this one better... they took all her damage away and her heal feels so anemic to me. I had to give her up.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

tyrande is my favorite character in heroes of the storm because her balance history is such a fascinating mess. it's like looking at a black hole of multiple simultaneous trainwrecks

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
I too miss dps Tyrande. My heal is for ME!

Gameko
Feb 23, 2006

Put me on the dps tyrande train. I personally like Auriel for healing. I think she has the right utility balance and good heal throughput. I think her ults could be tinkered with but that’s just a nitpick from me. They’re fine but nothing exciting.

Gameko fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Mar 3, 2021

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Whitemane/Anduin also bring 'randomly stupidly hard to kill' as healers, too.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I like playing LiLi the best as healer because then I don't have to think.

Gameko
Feb 23, 2006

Charles Bukowski posted:

I like playing LiLi the best as healer because then I don't have to think.

LiLi is good, mindless fun but also less ability to target your heals where they're needed.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

The trick to lili is baiting the enemy team into trying to focus you so all the healing goes to you and also your heal rate is doubled. But it's a balancing act because if they successfully focus you, you'll die during the second stun, but if they don't hit you at all your heal rate isn't very impressive and might not go where it's needed

So lili is all about playing the "I'm not touching you" game and that's pretty clever

BattleHamster
Mar 18, 2009

There's a new patch https://news.blizzard.com/en-us/heroes-of-the-storm/23623169/heroes-of-the-storm-balance-patch-notes-march-2-2021

Some insane Lili buffs amongst other changes.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
My eyes went to this for malfurion:

quote:

New Talent: Emerald Dreams [E]

Entangling Roots Sleeps enemies for 2 seconds after its Root expires.

Seems... good.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
That does seem quite strong, however you'd still have to play Malfurion :(

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

BITCH WHAT

quote:

Archangel’s Wrath [Trait]
Duration increased from 3.5 to 4 seconds.
Damage reduced from 550 to 450.
Movement Speed increased by 20%.
Additional functionality: Enemies within Archangel Wrath’s radius deal 50% less damage. Enemies hit by Archangel’s Wrath deal 50% less damage for 3 seconds.

TYREAL HAS A TRAIT NOW WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

Kith posted:

BITCH WHAT

TYREAL HAS A TRAIT NOW WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT

he always did

this is after he dies and is in "blow dudes up" mode

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Wait when did Lucio's second ult get changed to High Five? Reverse Amp was so drat cool...

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

orangelex44 posted:

he always did

this is after he dies and is in "blow dudes up" mode

:thejoke:

SirSamVimes posted:

Wait when did Lucio's second ult get changed to High Five? Reverse Amp was so drat cool...

A while ago, but Reverse Amp lives on as a Level 7 Talent.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
I got absolutely destroyed in a quickmatch game by an Ana+Deckard combo. Ana was focused entirely on stacking her poison or whatever and had like 400 stacks and 70k damage by the end of the game

What the gently caress just happened

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
What do you get when you have two all-assassin team that synergize pretty well on a small map?

ALL KILLS NO BRAKES

We won, but what ultimately saved us is that their Kel'thuzad wasn't very good. When I checked at about twenty minutes, he still hadn't finished his baseline quest.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Didn't Lili used to have the highest winrate for healers below Masters for most of HotS's history? No reason to not refresh some of her stuff, but I seem to remember that being a thing.

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.
When I was playing a lot two years ago she was pretty common and had a high win rate resulting in some nerfs. She and Rehgar are my favorite healers because they feel the least “healy”, like you heal but most of your thinking goes into supporting your team in other ways.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Kalko posted:

Didn't Lili used to have the highest winrate for healers below Masters for most of HotS's history? No reason to not refresh some of her stuff, but I seem to remember that being a thing.
She got "reworked" (nerfed) a lot. I used to only play builds that were secretly op in non-serious leagues. Some of these included:

150% poison spear Sonya
Slam build stitches
Bruiser lili
Double tap nova
Colossus smash varian
and, my favorite, Fury of the swarm kerrigan

They all ended up getting done in sadly.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Mar 5, 2021

Camel Camus
Jun 16, 2009

Mais, non, je suis fantastique!

I miss slam stitches a lot too, he was way stickier and meaner than the popular builds now and I'd say less annoying to deal with than current gorge build.

I'm very excited they're trying to bring up other supports without reining in the top tier right now. It's also great to see such a sizable number of changes going in to this game ever after the shuffling and cutting of teams across Blizz.

I loved the dreadlords in WC3 but I have some pathology that makes me averse to playing new heroes. Maybe I'll finally pick up Mal since it's been a while since his release and those changes look solid.

Re: Tyrande, she's my second favorite healer behind Brightwing. Her flare build is so much fun and at 20 between Shooting Star and Starfall it makes you get such a strong floor is lava rainbows feel in sieges and teamfights I love it.

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

Camel Camus posted:

I loved the dreadlords in WC3 but I have some pathology that makes me averse to playing new heroes. Maybe I'll finally pick up Mal since it's been a while since his release and those changes look solid.

I didn't really like Mal'ganis until I found out the sucker punch combo.

You take the talent that makes your next autoattack do extra damage after each Q swipe, and then the talent that gives you bonus autoattack damage on sleeped targets. These stack.

You swipe->attack->swipe->attack and each of those do beefy damage (and heal you a lot because you took the level 1 talent that boosts vampiric aura autoattack lifesteal)

Then on your last swipe you swipe->stun->sleep->attack and fuckin WHOMP them for like 800 damage late game.

Spreading plague on night rush and bat spray on necrotic embrace are probably more overall damage in the duration of a match (and the better picks), but doing Big Slaps on a bad guy is fun and the sudden HP drop is like a mind-games version of peel where people will start focusing you because you just bitchslapped Raynor's corpse so hard it landed outside of the screen.

WITCHCRAFT fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Mar 8, 2021

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Let's talk about Gazlowe. Again.

So my "just loving punch them" build is baller for QM. Just absolutely loving nuts, yeah? But here's the thing: I have discovered why Gazlowe's winrate is so insanely high in grandmaster.

It's the bombs, my friends.

Let's talk about the obvious one first. Grav-O-Bomb, the combo machine. That makes sense - you got a coordinated team? Catch someone (or multiple someones) and dump on them. Easy peasy lemon squeezy. That makes sense, of course good players are going to be coordinated enough to do that. But then there's Xplodium, and my friends, I'm here to tell you that the purpose of Xplodium is not actually to be comboed with Grav-O-Bomb.

It's to be comboed with other stuns.

Stun durations in HOTS refresh, not stack, so if you drop two 1-second stuns on someone immediately, then they're stunned for one second and some change (howeverlong the delay was between the first and second stuns). This means you've gotta have some pretty stellar twitch reactions to be able to effectively get your stuns chained, right?

Gazlowe don't give a gently caress about that. Gazlowe throws his bomb the instant that someone gets stunned, no thought or planning required, and that 1.25 seconds of delay does the timing for him. If Uther nails someone with a stun and Gazlowe follows up, the stunned player has roughly 0.3 seconds to react - assuming they didn't get nailed with another stun to ensure that the chain doesn't get interrupted.

God, they hosed up Gazlowe so bad. He's stronger than he's ever been and plays almost nothing like he used to and has a whopping two build paths. Just utterly genius-tier work.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
Apparently every hero being on free rotation has made the matchmaker absolutely retarded in QM

Tonight we had two tanks with an abathur and kharazim vs an enemy team with a morales and a stukov pocket healing a Sgt hammer.

I feel like every game on my massive L streak has had bizarre matchups with people who don't communicate and don't bother with objectives. So normal HOTS I guess.

But there are so many goddamn Abathurs. Every goddamn match

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
I don't mind the Abathurs, I just want to understand why there's 1.5 of them on average in QM lately.

Anyway, QM is a perfect time to just chill and play Murky and win because no one else soaks or takes camps in QM.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Nybble posted:

I don't mind the Abathurs, I just want to understand why there's 1.5 of them on average in QM lately.

Anyway, QM is a perfect time to just chill and play Murky and win because no one else soaks or takes camps in QM.

I haven't played in a long time, I know people go on about how much of a death machine Murky is, and I can attest to that. But is Murky still a god at playing his own weird solo game of just pushing a lane/taking camps and then the core falls over

edit: like this is from like 3 years ago, but this is one of my most favorite things I've ever done in the game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpxWGXqq0Sg

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Mar 11, 2021

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Macaluso posted:

I haven't played in a long time, I know people go on about how much of a death machine Murky is, and I can attest to that. But is Murky still a god at playing his own weird solo game of just pushing a lane/taking camps and then the core falls over

edit: like this is from like 3 years ago, but this is one of my most favorite things I've ever done in the game:

Murky is great because you can make the other team mad even when they win the match. Had a close match a few days ago where someone whispered me after to tell me that we lost despite "trying every cheat in the book" and to "play a real character, buddy."

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

Macaluso posted:

Funny you mention it, that video is the reason why I started trying out Murky more and more, even in ranked when there are plenty of camps and 3 lanes. Folks just forget about you, or if they are focusing on you and you're slippery enough, they are wasting their time just trying to get 1/4th of a kill. Anytime I get 3 of their team chasing me around is a huge win.

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

Kith posted:

Let's talk about Gazlowe. Again.
But here's the thing: I have discovered why Gazlowe's winrate is so insanely high in grandmaster.

It's the bombs, my friends.

Let's talk about the obvious one first. Grav-O-Bomb, the combo machine. That makes sense - you got a coordinated team? Catch someone (or multiple someones) and dump on them. Easy peasy lemon squeezy. That makes sense, of course good players are going to be coordinated enough to do that. But then there's Xplodium, and my friends, I'm here to tell you that the purpose of Xplodium is not actually to be comboed with Grav-O-Bomb.

It's to be comboed with other stuns.

Stun durations in HOTS refresh, not stack, so if you drop two 1-second stuns on someone immediately, then they're stunned for one second and some change (howeverlong the delay was between the first and second stuns). This means you've gotta have some pretty stellar twitch reactions to be able to effectively get your stuns chained, right?

This is an inherent trait of many skills, not just Gazlowe's. For example, Kerrigan's stun is delayed, but you are supposed to use Primal Grasp to pull enemies back into the stun before it casts. Rexxar's stun is based on Misha's position, and you have to be aware of that when you are starting or finishing a chain stun. Tyrande's stun has a tiny AoE even with talent buffs, it's best used as a follow up to extend a stun landed from someone else's easier to land first stun. Tyrael's stun ult can be amazing, but not on its own. It either starts or extends a chain of guaranteed stuns.

You don't have to have godly reactions to perfectly chain stuns; if you can chain them at all you will bag a hero out of position and take them from their current HP to zero, even if you don't max the stun duration. The only time this doesn't work is when the enemy healer is on point and has some method of applying "unstoppable" to the stunned hero. Lucio, Li Li, Malf, Brightwing, are the ones that first come to mind. But even then, you need the stunned hero to react just as fast as their healer did. It is extremely frustrating to blow a cooldown and give someone unstoppable for 1 second, then watch them just keep sitting there like they never escaped the stun/root.

Getting 2 players to snap-react to a stun is harder than getting 2 players to chain their stuns together. This isn't a maneuver for pro/league games. It works even better against average players.

My point is that it is easier to chain stuns than it is to escape them, especially at average player level skill.

Gazlowe's stun solo is only useful to place in a corridor. Like the gate between towers or tight spaces between the lanes. You force them to stand and fight, or retreat and get stunned. A lot of the time, they can just stand and fight and Gazlowe loses the skirmish. With allies, it becomes a powerful "run and die, or stand and die" where you force them into unfavorable positions either way.

My favorite part of current Gazlowe has nothing to do with any of this though. It's the fact that at high talent tiers you become some kind of fractal machine. Your turrets shoot lazers. Your bombs create mini turrets when they explode. Your bombs create more bombs when they explode. You're just making GBS threads gunfire and lazers and explosions all over the place at level 20 and it is extremely satisfying. You are just endlessly making GBS threads out little guys full of bullets and lazers and TnT and the enemy team has to deal with it.

WITCHCRAFT fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Mar 13, 2021

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
ARAM is all about taking a set of random character selections and using them to create a balanced team comp.

We lost.

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn
When the ARAM gods give you the chance to play an Oops! All Crunchberries team, the correct and moral choice is to go for it.

There are sickos out there that would turn down the chance to play 5 Illidans or 5 Murkeys. Depraved.

InformationHigh
Jun 27, 2004

I have found a lot of people seem to forget ARAM isn't storm league and you shouldn't care about team comp and "draft" (loving lol) but should care about fun and good times.

In fact, stop letting people choose and do it the real way with the game picking for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
A lot of people think winning is fun though

edit: or, more likely, a lot of people think losing isn't fun