Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Zaphod42 posted:

I feel you on this, and this is why so far Bullet Points is entirely a standing/ducking experience. There's already great games out there if you want a full on VR FPS (COMPOUND, Pavlov, Alyx, etc.) so I'm trying to make something that feels very easy to jump into and out of without having to commit an hour to beating a level or getting comfortable with the controls or whatever.

I'm really looking forward to trying it! Probably going to wait before there's a more finalized build but I have been watching development and can't wait to give it a go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goodguy3
Aug 11, 2016

"What?! I'm not tangled up like this for fun, you know!"

explosivo posted:

How's Crisis Vrigade (ugh that name) and it's sequel? I just picked up the first one to see if it'll be a fun co-op game, we recently talked about playing actual Time Crisis in VR but this looks better.

The first Crisis VRigade was....fine. Pointlessly difficult and frustrating though, and the dev had the very unfortunate "Git Gud" mindset when it came to addressing feedback about it. Was pretty fun when I could match into a 4 play co-op game though.

VRigade 2 is a lot better balanced just for the sake of letting you continue on the spot. I'd honestly kinda recommend VRigade 2, they do seem to have taken the first game's criticisms to heart and actually, properly addressed them.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

New, crazier minigolf course
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYlibMdLyuA

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Hey, awesome! I was just saying the other night while we were playing this that I wanted more crazy "Golf With Your Friends" style courses.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Zaphod42 posted:

Apparently Z-race is entirely 3rd person? That seems like a huge missed opportunity for VR for me... especially when there's already so many other great wipeout VR games.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/517710/Redout_Enhanced_Edition/

https://store.steampowered.com/app/473770/BallisticNG/

https://store.steampowered.com/app/668430/VRacer_Hoverbike/

Yeah I was bummed about that. gently caress 3rd person VR games for racing or any type of vehicle operation

Thoatse fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Mar 3, 2021

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J91WIWcEhIA

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
I'm trying to save some money on Knuckles controllers, and found the weirdest thing on eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Steam-Left-Hand-Valve-Index-VR-Controller-Knuckles-Handset-Bad-Joystick-Parts/184622854765

59 sold broken Left Hand index controllers all from a single seller, 23 more in stock, and none for the right hand. What the heck is going on there? Valve just sent them all to wash their hands of it? Did lefty controlers have some defect that made them break exponentially more than righty?

I guess the only other way to save money is to try to find someone selling Steam Wallet credit at a discount?

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Mar 3, 2021

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

And another one. From the creators of Blaston, Angry Birds VR and more

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vj44kzxtFMw
The cross-platform game will also launch on traditional gaming PC platforms as a non-VR title that’s playable with other PC and VR gamers. More info on that to come.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Zero VGS posted:

I'm trying to save some money on Knuckles controllers, and found the weirdest thing on eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Steam-Left-Hand-Valve-Index-VR-Controller-Knuckles-Handset-Bad-Joystick-Parts/184622854765

59 sold broken Left Hand index controllers all from a single seller, 23 more in stock, and none for the right hand. What the heck is going on there? Valve just sent them all to wash their hands of it? Did lefty controlers have some defect that made them break exponentially more than righty?

I guess the only other way to save money is to try to find someone selling Steam Wallet credit at a discount?

Maybe the right hand breaks more and that's why that seller is out of stock.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Maybe some VR arcade chain unloaded all of their broken controllers at once?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Wait, did someone made arrangements to announce every VR game today?

Another one ,the new game from Arizona Sunshine devs

https://afterthefall-vr.com/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jh5EgRzB-84

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

theflyingexecutive posted:

Maybe the right hand breaks more and that's why that seller is out of stock.

No I'm saying the left-hand controllers that they're selling are all being sold with a broken joystick. Apparently there's been some long-running stick drift issue the more I delve into it.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Turin Turambar posted:

And another one. From the creators of Blaston, Angry Birds VR and more

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vj44kzxtFMw
The cross-platform game will also launch on traditional gaming PC platforms as a non-VR title that’s playable with other PC and VR gamers. More info on that to come.

Oh wow this is cute

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

And more, the Phantom: Covert Ops devs next game which is a PSVR exclusive.
https://uploadvr.com/fracked-psvr-ndreams/

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Zero VGS posted:

More curious is the lack of any paint or damage to the controller from walls, etc. I think I had mine for about a week before I had some paint transfer. :v:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Is there a way to force superscaling on quest 2 through side quest? I know you can force 90fps that way.

I ask because while I like playing Pop1 on PC over VD with 1.5SS turned on and 90fps, I actually play better, get more kills and more wins on the native app.

I imagine I’m having trouble compensating for the lag on the VD version?

Anyway if I can force 90fps and some superscaling with side quest I’d be good to go with the native app. The quest 2 still runs the quest1 version of the game, so I imagine there is some room for improvement there.

To answer my own question, you can both force 90fps on the quest 2 and increase resolution with adb commands

https://www.reddit.com/r/populationonevr/comments/k2qbdr/quest_2_popone_graphics_optimization_guide/

Anyone tried this?

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Mar 3, 2021

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

E: double post

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I did try on the first weeks of having it. Increasing the resolution makes games have more framerate drops and spikes, and the 90hz command I stopped using it once it was enabled by default.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah I’m not sure if it’s worth the trouble on every reboot.

I’ve been playing Pop1 on the native client, which I think is now 90hz (is there a tool you can sideload to see the fps?) and the resolution is good enough

It’s better than the latency from VD, which apparently kills my ability to do anything useful in pop1

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem

This is literally my favorite game on my quest 2. Me and the wife play it together almost every night.

Excited to try this new course tonight!

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Quite a few things are coming to PSVR, which makes sense if they're prepping another headset: https://blog.playstation.com/2021/03/03/ps-vr-spotlight-returns-today/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

I wonder how far off we are on getting wireless, lighthouses, knuckle controllers and fullbody tracking in one device, or set of devices I guess. Couple of years? Literally tomorrow, via some magic community hacking for the Quest?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Does walkabout have online multiplayer?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Does walkabout have online multiplayer?

It does indeed! You can do private matches with up to 5 people I think but I remember reading that random matches are only 1v1, could be wrong though.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I wonder how far off we are on getting wireless, lighthouses, knuckle controllers and fullbody tracking in one device, or set of devices I guess. Couple of years? Literally tomorrow, via some magic community hacking for the Quest?

You could Frankenstein that right now with a Vive wireless adapter, knuckles and a Kinect - and there are probably people who do exactly that to gently caress in VRChat - but there's not going to be game support for that sort of thing for a long time. Even supporting the smallest subset of VR features is a tough business case to make right now.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I would not be surprised if Quest 2 or Quest 3 ends up with full body and hand tracking.

They've already shown off the Body API that currently has upper body pose estimation for developers and Carmack has discussed full body tracking and mentioned that they'll be able to use that to fairly accurately determine your hand position even if it's fully out of view of the cameras (not hand pose though), which will get rid of the (already minimal) tracking failures.

I won't be surprised if they come up with a way to use the touch controllers and the hand tracking simultaneously, giving you all the advantages of a proper controller plus better than knuckles finger positioning when your hands are in view (knuckles is fairly limited, missing things like finger splay that Quest hand tracking can recognize).

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Yeah I’m not sure if it’s worth the trouble on every reboot.

I’ve been playing Pop1 on the native client, which I think is now 90hz (is there a tool you can sideload to see the fps?) and the resolution is good enough

It’s better than the latency from VD, which apparently kills my ability to do anything useful in pop1

That post you linked has instructions on how to do OVR overlay to check values. I’m gonna try this, I had been pure VD but my partner is playing Valheim on my PC quite a bit so I’ve been doing more native Pop One.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I thought we were far from wireless PCVR and then VD does it with like 95% accuracy for like $10 so who knows what'll be next.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Are there any good pass & play games on Quest or Steam? Just looking for something turn-based I can play with my wife like bowling, golf or mini golf, bocce, darts, etc. Failing that maybe asymmetric multiplayer games that are good with just two people?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Enderzero posted:

That post you linked has instructions on how to do OVR overlay to check values. I’m gonna try this, I had been pure VD but my partner is playing Valheim on my PC quite a bit so I’ve been doing more native Pop One.

Have you noticed a difference? I play better on the native app, despite VD having only 28ms of lag and running smooth as butter

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Dear Watson posted:

This is literally my favorite game on my quest 2. Me and the wife play it together almost every night.

Excited to try this new course tonight!

prom candy posted:

Are there any good pass & play games on Quest or Steam? Just looking for something turn-based I can play with my wife like bowling, golf or mini golf, bocce, darts, etc. Failing that maybe asymmetric multiplayer games that are good with just two people?

Can you do this with the golf game? Sounds like a pain in the rear end since wife and I have different headset settings for everything but maybe something I'd be interested in as well. We play beat saber together but would be fun to try other stuff we could play together. Been thinking of picking up a quest 2 for her so we could both play simultaneously but she's not really big into gaming.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Suburban Dad posted:

Can you do this with the golf game? Sounds like a pain in the rear end since wife and I have different headset settings for everything but maybe something I'd be interested in as well. We play beat saber together but would be fun to try other stuff we could play together. Been thinking of picking up a quest 2 for her so we could both play simultaneously but she's not really big into gaming.

Neither of the two big golf games support pass and play but Walkabout says it's coming. I don't have beatsaber yet but maybe I'll grab it and we can pass and play that

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem

Suburban Dad posted:

I actually bought my wife a quest so I could use mine again. I showed her beat saber and walkabout and that was the end of me using my quest until I got her one.

You can kind of play together with one headset by going into practice mode and casting to your phone to see what each other is doing and taking turns on holes, but you’d have to keep score on paper. It wouldn’t be as much fun.

The devs have said they are working on a pass and play mode. The devs are pretty active on their discord and are open to user suggestions.

They are also working on two more courses to add to the base game for a total of eight. Each course also has a hard mode, which really alters the feel of the course. They plan on making a DLC with five more courses, which I’ll buy without hesitation.

It’s definitely worth the money in my opinion. It feels really good to play.

Chekans 3 16
Jan 2, 2012

No Resetti.
No Continues.

Grimey Drawer
What good VR puzzle/adventure games are out there? Looking at Myst and the Room currently. Anything else stand out?

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Dear Watson posted:

I actually bought my wife a quest so I could use mine again. I showed her beat saber and walkabout and that was the end of me using my quest until I got her one.

You can kind of play together with one headset by going into practice mode and casting to your phone to see what each other is doing and taking turns on holes, but you’d have to keep score on paper. It wouldn’t be as much fun.

The devs have said they are working on a pass and play mode. The devs are pretty active on their discord and are open to user suggestions.

They are also working on two more courses to add to the base game for a total of eight. Each course also has a hard mode, which really alters the feel of the course. They plan on making a DLC with five more courses, which I’ll buy without hesitation.

It’s definitely worth the money in my opinion. It feels really good to play.

Have they said anything about the Steam version? Release Date of Soon?!?!

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Chekans 3 16 posted:

What good VR puzzle/adventure games are out there? Looking at Myst and the Room currently. Anything else stand out?

I enjoyed Form https://store.steampowered.com/app/408520/FORM/

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem

Deathlove posted:

Have they said anything about the Steam version? Release Date of Soon?!?!

About a month ago one of them said the steam version was still being worked on, but I haven’t seen a date yet.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

prom candy posted:

if it doesn't have to be competitive, Carly and the Reaperman is great. Beat Saber has a party mode

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

prom candy posted:

Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes. I wouldn’t say it’s laid back per se, but it handles only having one headset pretty well.

Is there anything out there like warioware? A collection of mini games where you have to quickly intuit controls within a second or two

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Have you noticed a difference? I play better on the native app, despite VD having only 28ms of lag and running smooth as butter

Climbing definitely feels better on native but, weirdly, for me I seem to shoot better on PC. At least I think so. I took a short break with Valheim so I was a touch rusty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I don't like the voice of the protagonist, but otherwise it looks like a decent The Room clone
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZdng9tbcnA

edit: unrelated, but did you know there was a .quest domain? http://fuckoculus.quest/

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Mar 4, 2021