Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Johnny Walker posted:

Did we ban Pibgorn? Why?

I want to unsee this post.

Crab Dad posted:

Honestly I didnt think that comic was particularly lovely. My kids have done the same thing or equally amusing things like playing my wives breasts or butt like a bongo. Just dont make a big deal of it and be idly amused is the best course of action.

In addition to what others have said about how the comic has treated the kids before, that particular comic is having the guy saying he should praise the children for doing this, which is very different from not making a big deal of it. It's actively encouraging them to do it. That's the other reason why it's really gross.

SubNat posted:

[Moomin Goes Wild West

Not that I'm saying it's bad or anything but you mentioned that this story was written by written by Lars, and the dialog going on in these strips to me has a very different feel from the earlier stories. I dunno if it's just me though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

EasyEW posted:

Les Moore Milks A Dead Cow

Vargo posted:

Weird slam on the concept of fantasy football out of nowhere, Batiuk.

If you derive any entertainment from sports, you're a monster who is incapable of appreciating them on the same level as BatuikLes Moore. You should use sports as a model for your personal life; for example, Lisa decided to model her battle with disease after the 2017 Cleveland Browns.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
In fairness there's playing fantasy football with your work buddies or in a Facebook group, and there's the monetized gambling you see ads for at the start of every fall (well, most every fall).

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Twelve by Pies posted:

Not that I'm saying it's bad or anything but you mentioned that this story was written by written by Lars, and the dialog going on in these strips to me has a very different feel from the earlier stories. I dunno if it's just me though.

Yeah, IMO Lars' writing is generally a bit less charming and his art in some of the later stories (especially the one that haven't been republished) is honestly pretty sketchy.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Twelve by Pies posted:

Yup, absolutely. It'll get a lot more notable later on in stuff like Snorkmaiden goes Roccoco(#15) which is basically a Snorkmaiden solo story. Which feels very strange after each prior story having multiple protagonists/focus characters.
(Even Moomin and the Brigands was Moomin+Sniff.)

We'll see as we progress, I'm kind of reading the volumes as I post them, so I'm along for the ride this time around.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Maxwell Lord posted:

In fairness there's playing fantasy football with your work buddies or in a Facebook group, and there's the monetized gambling you see ads for at the start of every fall (well, most every fall).

And then there's Blood Bowl :black101:

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

EasyEW posted:

Oh gently caress You, Part 2

B Kliban

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Bloop posted:

And then there's Blood Bowl :black101:

Praise Nuffle.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Kennel posted:

Yeah, IMO Lars' writing is generally a bit less charming

Having Moominmama just go "This is just like Moomin and the Martians!" like it's the Simpsons or Family Guy is just kinda jarring.

Maxwell Lord posted:

That's true but the comic is still Batuik saying "I appreciate the Muppets football on a much deeper level than you." I'm sure most of the people doing Draft Kings and such still really like football.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Oof, sorry about that, I got taken with doing some loving nerd poo poo and couldn't drag myself away to keep up to date here, much less keep up to date on my posts. I think I'm over the hump, so hopefully if the urge catches me again it won't take as long as this did. Anyway, 9CL is so bad in so many ways, but it was fascinating to see even through the grossness. But you know, I don't blame anyone for dropping it. I'd love to hear from the editors or whatever just what the gently caress is going on when these come in. Somebody get an interview with them.

Dinky Dinkerton and Flyin' Jenny Sept. 15th, 1940

Axa

Seriously tho, Axa is somehow a thousand times less horny than 9CL. And its entire point is to have a sexy lady and her ladies front and centre!

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

My Lovely Horse posted:

I think I've idly mused before what it must have been like to grow up in the Johnston household, knowing that if you have any sort of conflict with Mom she'll draw and publish it in the newspaper for a week, as likely as not making herself out to be the winner and you to be an unreasonable, spoiled1 child. This is another week where I think about that.

1not to mention stinky
These strips in particular give me strong "there's no consistency in when you're expected to do certain chores, so you only find out when Elly explodes at you for not doing them" vibes.

Powered Descent posted:

The only reason Liz would expect Mom to do laundry is presumably because Mom usually does the laundry. Yes, this is a one-off load on an odd day at a moment's notice. But instead of just saying "I don't have time for that right now, Liz, how about you go run it through the machines yourself?", Mom immediately goes to full-on triangle-mouth ranting and raving, as if Liz did something deeply wrong here.

Fun thought experiment: reverse the roles. Say that Liz usually takes out the trash on garbage day. This week the can has filled up early, and Mom comes into the living room and says "the garbage bag needs to be taken out" to which Liz replies "so take it out". Does this end any other way than a final panel of Liz taking the garbage out and thinking a pithy observation, all under the glowering stare of Mom?

The Bloop posted:

lmfao make fun of FOOB all you want but you can't seriously think that role reversal is a fair comparison. In your version Liz should be in trouble
Like so. If Liz is consistently expected to take out the trash, then she should get in trouble for not taking out the trash. But if mom usually does everything then nobody knows when she suddenly expects them to do it instead. At least until she starts screaming at them for not doing it.

(to be clear, everyone should be pitching in with household chores, but people gotta know which chores are their chores & which chores are 'whoever notices this needs to be done/has the time to do it should just loving do it' chores. Especially kids, who need more structure if you expect them to get stuff done.)

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

catlord posted:

Dinky Dinkerton and Flyin' Jenny Sept. 15th, 1940

I can imagine Romero taking notes on an all-new way to get your heroine stripped.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Crab Dad posted:

Honestly I didnt think that comic was particularly lovely. My kids have done the same thing or equally amusing things like playing my wives breasts or butt like a bongo. Just dont make a big deal of it and be idly amused is the best course of action.

I'm not giving a pass to the comic where the main characters are constantly horny and gently caress in front of their kids, go on long speeches about how training bras 'will make boys appreciate you', and went on a long arc where they wrote letters to their unborn children including sexual allusions and messaging, to name a few semi-recent incidents.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

The Bloop posted:

lmao Rudy takes his hat off in bed but not his sunglasses
"Mustache on or off?"
"Off, please."
"[pause] Too bad."

Manuel Calavera posted:

Praise Nuffle.
GFI, fall down and die! GFI, fall down and die!

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Selachian posted:

I can imagine Romero taking notes on an all-new way to get your heroine stripped.

Axa vs a loving airship has a decent chance of being some good, dumb fun.

I forgot to mention, I read bits and pieces of Popular Comics, generally skipping the more comedy ones (Smoky Stover looks kinda sad when it shows up, I'm used to there being so much to Smoky, to the point I sometimes skip it because it's wild to look at, seeing it with flat colours and basic backgrounds is weird). I appreciate seeing it though, it's neat to see what makes it in!

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Ballard Street

You're too harsh on yourself, Carl.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Haifisch posted:

These strips in particular give me strong "there's no consistency in when you're expected to do certain chores, so you only find out when Elly explodes at you for not doing them" vibes.

Like so. If Liz is consistently expected to take out the trash, then she should get in trouble for not taking out the trash. But if mom usually does everything then nobody knows when she suddenly expects them to do it instead. At least until she starts screaming at them for not doing it.

(to be clear, everyone should be pitching in with household chores, but people gotta know which chores are their chores & which chores are 'whoever notices this needs to be done/has the time to do it should just loving do it' chores. Especially kids, who need more structure if you expect them to get stuff done.)

Yup, that's exactly what I meant, but you said it a bit more clearly. Thanks. :tipshat:

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Jan. 16, 1944)

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Medenmath posted:

“Congratulations, rear end in a top hat! Many blessings and I hope I never see you again”

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

Medenmath posted:

"Dude, you have the WORST loving timing."

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Nightcrawlers - 1957

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Medenmath posted:

Val's face palm is emoji worthy.

"You loving donkey!"

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Medenmath posted:

Since today I'm apparently on a roll turning situations around, why did YOU never speak of love to HIM, Sigrid, hmmm?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Dinette Set is cancelled.

Working Daze is just doing this now I guess.

Super-Fun-Pak Comix is just reading too much into things.

Cul De Sac has always been trouble.

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
And He Did! (March 23, 1918)

Outbursts of Everett True (April 27, 1918)

Hitz and Mrs. (December 14, 1923)

Gay and Her Gang (April 9, 1929)

Oaky Doaks (September 9, 1935)

Dark Laughter (March 5, 1942)

Mopsy Sunday (November 9, 1947)

Those Were the Days (December 6, 1951)

Dinky Fellas (May 31, 1965)

Wee Pals (May 31, 1965)

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

BigglesSWE posted:

Ballard Street

Is that a trainspotters joke or is it car-print toilet paper>

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

Support Tauhid's Patreon here.

Old School Peanuts (Jul 13-15, 1952)

I think this might be the first time Linus is mentioned. :toot:

Calvin and Hobbes (Jul 18-23, 1989)

Robbie and Bobby (Only posting 2 because I need to go get more.)

(May 20, 2019)

(May 22, 2019)

Support Jason's Patreon (and see new My Dad is Draculas) here.

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Mar 4, 2021

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
so i shouldn't pick up 9CL? bc i can! and would!

Garfield

Heathcliff

Overboard

Monty

Rae the Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Come to think of it, we don't know if Batiuk even has any backlog left for Funky Winkerbean, right? I know Les states that this is for Cancerwife's clinical trials, but the mention of quarantining themselves and Les only going out to buy groceries feels like a pathetic attempt from Batiuk to make Lisa's Story more 'modern'. Like he's going, "Look at me! I'm Les Moore, and I'm stuck in the house like the rest of you plebs in 2021! Anyway, here's cancer."

catlord posted:

Seriously tho, Axa is somehow a thousand times less horny than 9CL. And its entire point is to have a sexy lady and her ladies front and centre!

gently caress! Mark, nooooooo! Why would they kill off Axa's only decent love interest? :smith:

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Curly has his head on straight.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

Bruceski posted:

Is that a trainspotters joke or is it car-print toilet paper>

Trainspotter, I would think.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hostile V posted:

GFI, fall down and die! GFI, fall down and die!

It's only a 1/6 failure chance! I'm sure it's fine!
:negative:

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

DC Money
Feb 24, 2007
I'm a fancy lad.

SubNat posted:

God, the amount of work you put into translating these is ridiculous.
Thanks again for doing it, I really enjoy Mämmilä and the thread wouldn't have it if not for your efforts.

i'm way behind, but after i read that that was my first thought - how you even translated a mis-spelling. This is right up there with Boss Dharma as a comic that i read on this forum and really enjoy, and also feel like i'm learning about a different culture. thanks for the work, it's appreciated.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Is it intentionally stupid poses?
:wom:

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

You can learn a lot about conveying the timing and speed of a sequence of events both within and between panels from observing Tara's kung fu poses in conjunction with the shadowy figure's stance, which combine to give the impression that she's first rooted in place while the figure calmly turns and exits, then runs in place like a mime yelling STOP while they're equally calmly strolling to their car and getting in.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Moomin Goes Wild West

"Faker? I think you're the fake moomin around here!"

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Classic Kevin & Kell (December 13-17, 1999)

At the time, Buchanan had just left the Republican Party, and was in the primaries for the Reform Party candidate as president... Along with some dude called Donald Trump. You may have heard of him. Buchanan would eventually win the nomination, and go on as a candidate to the general election, where he won less than half a million votes, 0,4% of the total share. (But was unwittingly complicit in handing Bush the presidency in 2000, because Florida.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

riderchop posted:

so i shouldn't pick up 9CL? bc i can! and would!

dooooo iiiiiiiitttt.