Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I hope Barry still gets pep talks from the infinite Wells now powering the Speed Force

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Xelkelvos posted:

I hope Barry still gets pep talks from the infinite Wells now powering the Speed Force

Well I mean the alternative is "no Tom Cavanaugh for even a single episode" and this show simply cannot function like that

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

howe_sam posted:

Cecile that is not what a defense attorney does.

Give her a break, this is a big change from being a prosecutor, you know.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Vietnamwees posted:

Give her a break, this is a big change from being a prosecutor, you know.

Also, when's the last time Cecile Horton let an insignificantly thing like *checks notes* the complexities of the US Legal System slow her down? Remember, this is a woman whose entire argument in Barry Allen's defense in a murder trial was literally "...poo poo, I got nothing. But look how handsome he is!"

Cecile is still the best character on this show, gently caress you

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Frankly I'm just stunned that they arrested a known violent criminal metahuman, chose not to utilize their power-dampening handcuffs, and then had the metahuman also just choose not to escape.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I didn't pay close attention what was the deal with the plane? Who was responsible for flying it out? Why was it being bombed instead of stolen?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

That felt like a random episode from the middle of a series I haven't been watching. I remember that basically nothing got resolved at the end of last season due to the plague, and Iris is in the mirror realm, but that's about it. I don't even remember who the new sidekicks are or why Barry was running out of speed or if we even know what Eva's goal is.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Definitely a bit messy but I totally given the production shutdown last year, Ralph going away because his actor's a piece of poo poo, and all the challenges from filming this season.

Really fun episode overall, I'm glad it's back. Hoping to see the whole crew together soon to make it feel like a real season premiere.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Reading the avclub breakdown, and this was apparently originally supposed to be an episode from last season but that one got chopped up due to the pandemic. I figure we have two more episodes of resolving the Mirror thing and then we can get to a proper new season? Weird that Cisco or Caitlin weren't around to say good bye to Wells if this was really his bow out. I mean, he can always come back as Thawne right?

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Tiggum posted:

That felt like a random episode from the middle of a series I haven't been watching. I remember that basically nothing got resolved at the end of last season due to the plague, and Iris is in the mirror realm, but that's about it. I don't even remember who the new sidekicks are or why Barry was running out of speed or if we even know what Eva's goal is.
Seriously this was totally my reaction.

I knew a few of the characters like Joe and Cecile but who the gently caress are Chuck and Garcia?

Iris facing off with Sexier Iris was great but confusing.

I think COVID hosed me up.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
You know what sucks is that Crisis was the reboot for a lot of these shows and the COVID said not today fuckers and feels like it destroyed a lot of plans.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Mooseontheloose posted:

You know what sucks is that Crisis was the reboot for a lot of these shows and the COVID said not today fuckers and feels like it destroyed a lot of plans.

It 100% did. Flash and Supergirl are the biggest victims as far as I'm aware. Batwoman maybe but other poo poo happened that was more affecting

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Well that was terrible. But we can't really judge it as a season opener since it was cobbled together out of the incomplete bits of the last season.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

Tiggum posted:

:same: and honestly I sort of liked it more cause of that.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

booooooooo

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Slamhound posted:

Seriously this was totally my reaction.

I knew a few of the characters like Joe and Cecile but who the gently caress are Chuck and Garcia?

Iris facing off with Sexier Iris was great but confusing.

I think COVID hosed me up.

Garcia has been around since the start of last season - Iris took her under her wing as a reporter
Chuck was a meta from episode 1 of last season that made black holes. They put him in stasis and then he pops out later in the season as a fully formed Sisko replacement tech guy.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

They've really just kind of made Allegra's powers just kind of generic, haven't they? Her thing was supposed to just be like light, not just energy. Although I guess they do that for everyone. (See also Caitlin's ability to heal because of... cold?)

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

muscles like this! posted:

They've really just kind of made Allegra's powers just kind of generic, haven't they? Her thing was supposed to just be like light, not just energy. Although I guess they do that for everyone. (See also Caitlin's ability to heal because of... cold?)

In this very episode, they made feeling emotions the same power as vertigo, or something like that. Everything involving the Top's scenes was confounding.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Well to be fair, the Top has always been straight up nonsense in the comics.

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, it seemed like Top got a MAJOR upgrade since the last time she was on the show.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Definitely kind of weird with that Mirror Master retcon.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Top is still the worst villain name ever.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
It's a good thing Eva's the mirror duplicate otherwise it'd be awkward when Barry kills her like he does all his other villains.

Also so help me if they leave Ralph off the show instead of casting a new one I'll drop this show like a rock I swear.

hatelull posted:

Reading the avclub breakdown, and this was apparently originally supposed to be an episode from last season but that one got chopped up due to the pandemic. I figure we have two more episodes of resolving the Mirror thing and then we can get to a proper new season? Weird that Cisco or Caitlin weren't around to say good bye to Wells if this was really his bow out. I mean, he can always come back as Thawne right?

Honestly if it was all done last seasons I'm kind of curious as to why it wasn't in last season, it seemed pretty complete and it worked pretty well for me. I guess maybe Eva finding out she wasn't human isn't as good as of a cliffhanger?

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Mar 4, 2021

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

I want to say that they had like 90% of this episode done and half of the next. Grant mentioned on Twitter that we'll see swole Barry in episode 2 or 3. He isn't even sure how they salvaged the existing footage.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

TwoPair posted:

It's a good thing Eva's the mirror duplicate otherwise it'd be awkward when Barry kills her like he does all his other villains.

Also so help me if they leave Ralph off the show instead of casting a new one I'll drop this show like a rock I swear.

Honestly if it was all done last seasons I'm kind of curious as to why it wasn't in last season, it seemed pretty complete and it worked pretty well for me. I guess maybe Eva finding out she wasn't human isn't as good as of a cliffhanger?

They totally newspapered Ralph out. He's never coming back.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

twistedmentat posted:

Top is still the worst villain name ever.

Catchphrase: "I'm going to top you!"

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

TwoPair posted:

The last 3 episodes of season 6 hadn’t been finished when the Covid lockdown struck so they held them back to be the first 3 episodes of this season

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

oh jay posted:

I want to say that they had like 90% of this episode done and half of the next. Grant mentioned on Twitter that we'll see swole Barry in episode 2 or 3. He isn't even sure how they salvaged the existing footage.

That's exactly it. This really isn't a season premiere. This is the late part of the season where a character sacrifices themselves so the heroes can go on. It felt like a pretty solid goodbye for Tom Cavanaugh
(this season) that almost doubled as a Doctor Who regeneration.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Iris sure does hold her fuckin head alot.

AlliedBiscuit
Oct 23, 2012

Do you want to know the terrifying truth, or do you want to see me sock a few dingers?!!

oh jay posted:

It’s this. The premiere was mostly shot before lockdown, but was missing key scenes. A few things were reworked and reshot but most of it is from a year ago. Hence why this episode featured so heavily in the DC Fandome trailer.

Next week is all brand new stuff though.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Rhyno posted:

They totally newspapered Ralph out. He's never coming back.

I mean, they could just drop in any other actor and say "Hey guys, it's me Ralph!" and he just plasticked himself into looking like a different guy cause he's on the run from the mob or something.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Phenotype posted:

I mean, they could just drop in any other actor and say "Hey guys, it's me Ralph!" and he just plasticked himself into looking like a different guy cause he's on the run from the mob or something.

I doubt they will. They want to move past his bullshit and recasting will just bring that poo poo up again.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Laterite posted:

Catchphrase: "I'm going to top you!"

Her ultimate nemesis, Power Bottom.

And here's the thing, even though this is kind of a mess and certainly feels like an late season episode rather than a premier, its still better than Batwoman because its not all dour, there isn't any backbiting, forced drama or contrived connections. Also I actually like most of the characters in The Flash.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Phenotype posted:

I mean they don't even have to do that, just say it's Ralph and move on. I don't know why they have to treat the audience like we're children who can't understand a recasting.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

"New haircut Ralph?" "Sue suggested it."

That's it. Minor lampshade and move on.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

I liked Ralph's character because of the surprisingly good performance of the actor whose name I won't even bother to look up. You don't really catch lightning in a bottle like that two times in a row in these CW shows.

Just dump the character and move on.

cartoons123
Nov 7, 2013

TwoPair posted:

I mean they don't even have to do that, just say it's Ralph and move on. I don't know why they have to treat the audience like we're children who can't understand a recasting.

Well if you take this interview at it’s word, they’re gonna do that, but only for one episode, and then they’re putting him on the back burner for who knows how long

https://ew.com/tv/the-flash-season-7-elongated-man-sue-dearbon/

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
I like Sue so glad to see she'll still be in the mix.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

TwoPair posted:

That's why I love Cheadle's first line as Rhodey in Iron Man 2.

"Look it’s me. I’m here deal with it, let’s move on."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!
Artificial Speed Force is a clunky name. Given the events of this episode, they should call it the Speed Well instead.

Also I fully expect Barry to see the Wells again when he enters the Speed Well at some point later in the season.