Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Groovelord Neato posted:

Not sure why Mr. Walker thought a parody of the Wall was going to be anything but roundly mocked.

Because he's a talentless hack who also thinks he's incredibly funny and anything he makes is comedic gold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Groovelord Neato posted:

Not sure why Mr. Walker thought a parody of the Wall was going to be anything but roundly mocked.

I feel like I was having a stroke for a second, I mentioned the Headless Horseman, so my brain kept autocompleting Walker into Walken and I was like what the hell did I miss with Christopher Walken lately.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

No.1 Special posted:

Jacob Geller - Dark Souls 3 is Thinking of Ending Things

https://youtu.be/lnAWQz34PJs

On a more basic level, I've never understood people being mad about them "just doing Anor Londo again" and etc. because...the series (and DeS before it) are literally about cycles. All of those callbacks are relevant in both a textual and meta-textual sense. Things are literally coming full circle.

Also it's always been hilarious that a lot of the criticisms of DS2 boil down to "it's not enough like 1" but then 3 also gets poo poo for having elements that are...too much like 1.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Mar 3, 2021

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Its really remarkable how much time and effort was put into every aspect of the Wall review except the actual review part. Okay cool you got the guy from slipknot somehow maybe he has some thoughts on this classic album? No he's just here to sing the spongebob theme song I guess.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

nine-gear crow posted:

Doug Walker lives in a hell of his own making, and everyone who could have helped him out of it no longer likes him...

Yeah. If NC finally tanks (which admittedly it does not appear in danger of doing), it probably is back to Books-A-Million or wherever he quit in that most tasteful of manners.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah. If NC finally tanks (which admittedly it does not appear in danger of doing), it probably is back to Books-A-Million or wherever he quit in that most tasteful of manners.

I thought that video was awesome when I was 15/16. :smith:

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

John Murdoch posted:

On a more basic level, I've never understood people being mad about them "just doing Anor Londo again" and etc. because...the series (and DeS before it) are literally about cycles. All of those callbacks are relevant in both a textual and meta-textual sense. Things are literally coming full circle.

Also it's always been hilarious that a lot of the criticisms of DS2 boil down to "it's not enough like 1" but then 3 also gets poo poo for having elements that are...too much like 1.

It's very weird I like 2 (it feels like an interquel to me) but DS3 feels like a sequel and in a good way. Going back to Anor Londo ruled (and seeing who the boss ate), fighting Gwyn's son who got damnatio memoriaed ruled, the piano hitting during the final boss ruled.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

John Murdoch posted:

Well, in my take at least, something being cyclical doesn't mean doing the same thing, again, and Dark Souls 3 was full of moments that were basically just "remember this from Dark Souls?" from locations, to characters to specific items. Not just that items existed, mind you, because getting cool references to dark souls, demon's souls or even king's field was always cool. But literally the same items because the item descriptions specify they're the same item belonging to the same guy because you're in the same place. It's very overt and on the nose in a way that the previous games weren't, and in the end my reaction was kind of just "Oh cool, it's that thing from the previous game. Neat." every time it popped up. But then again my favorite locations and ideas in 3 are definitely the new ones. Aldritch had enough of a backstory and identity going on with the things the NPCs said that they didn't really need to tack on a reference to the old games for me to be intrigued by the fight or character. Instead it kind of harmed the overall thing because most people, early on at least, didn't even really come away realizing they were fighting Aldritch. They thought they were fighting that character from the first game.

Also the people who criticize two for being too different but criticize 3 for being too similar are likely to be different groups of people. A lot of people who liked 2, again going purely off of personal experience here, tend to react more in disappointment that the game throws out a lot of what came from 2 seemingly to appeal to the people who just angrily yelled about it and give them what they wanted, which was Dark Souls, Too. It's bewildering too because while 2 definitely had a lot of flaws, the biggest and loudest complaints about it tend to be generally grossly misrepresented (I have seen people on these forums often compare the most deliberately barren room in 2 to the most elaborate room in 3 with full graphic mod setups to decry all of 2 as being poorly designed and empty, multiple times) when a lot of them apply to the original game just as fairly because people have a really, really rose-tinted view of the first game.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Violet_Sky posted:

I thought that video was awesome when I was 15/16. :smith:

I get that. It's just having been on the worker side since I can just feel the waves of apathy from his coworkers who are like "yeah, okay, I still don't have dental."

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

So I guess Linkara has a new thing going on?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqWdbH7-VOM

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Dawgstar posted:

I get that. It's just having been on the worker side since I can just feel the waves of apathy from his coworkers who are like "yeah, okay, I still don't have dental."

I seem to recall he mentioned he did that at the end of his last shift after giving two weeks notice, so it's not like he just slammed a letter of resignation down and whipped out the boom box and camera. Not excusing what he did, but I've seen people do WAY more dickish things on their way out the door than just funky walk around the break room with a comically oversized stereo and go "see ya, folks, I'm moving on elsewhere."

Filming it for the internet was really dumb, but then again if he'd done that today, someone else would have filmed it with their phone and it would have been up on r/publicfreakout and had 10k views before he even finished his drive home.

radlum
May 13, 2013

BigRed0427 posted:

So I guess Linkara has a new thing going on?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqWdbH7-VOM

I stopped watching Linkara a few years ago; does he still do plotlines within his videos? I remember liking his reviews, but the plotlines always bore me.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

radlum posted:

I stopped watching Linkara a few years ago; does he still do plotlines within his videos? I remember liking his reviews, but the plotlines always bore me.

Last time I checked, he always has his plot poo poo at the beginning and end of his videos, making them very easy to skip over imo

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

Yes, his plot lines are easily skippable - and has been put on hold for almost the past year because of Covid. I think he's done a whole... five minute of plot in the past year? Like, seriously, the sketches have gone way, way down in amount in the past few years

His new thing is Late Night, Double Feature where on the fourth Monday of a month he ( as the horror host Clive ) he reviews two horror movies that have something in common. I heard the first one was def. in beta stage but this one is a lot better. This months episode was the sequel to and the thirdquel of Manos: The Hand of Fate.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

John Murdoch posted:

Initially, I was dismissive towards DS3 for the same reason, where (from promotional materials and one-off videos) it seemed like they were recycling Anor Londo. That said, I finally beat (and 100% completed) DS3 not too long ago, and I ended up liking it a lot more than I expected (in contrast to DS2, which I was excited to start, but bounced off of initially). The way Anor Londo is wrapped into Irithyll is pretty well done, and it is heartbreaking to see the same spots from DS1, but damaged and decayed (RIP Giant Blacksmith :smith:)

If anything, though, DS3 feels like it borrows a lot more from Bloodborne than it does previous Souls games.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Nuebot posted:

Well, in my take at least, something being cyclical doesn't mean doing the same thing, again, and Dark Souls 3 was full of moments that were basically just "remember this from Dark Souls?" from locations, to characters to specific items.

I'm leaning hard into the symbology. To close a circle means you need to curve back around to its beginning. This would be far more pretentious and reaching if not for the games being in love with the circle motif, particularly 3 where the dark sign is in your face a whole lot.

I don't have encyclopedic knowledge of every callback in 3 (...yet) but the problem as I see it is that people write off literally any reference as repetition or pure fanservice. This is touched on in the video - going back to Anor Londo isn't some self-indulgent victory lap "hey remember Dark Souls 1? :woop:" moment...it's clearly trying to do something through the obvious contrast. The Abyss Watchers are probably the most on the nose example where IIRC aren't they pretty much literally Artorias cosplayers who have gotten so far from the original they barely even really remember what his deal was other than "wow, cool knight!"? That's putting an idea across beyond just referencing DS1.

Now, I do realize that the overwhelming majority of that stuff is very much DS1-related in specific. Is it lame that 2 only gets a few token nods by comparison? Yeah. Are there also a number of different, equally probable (if not entirely fair) reasons I think they chose to focus on callbacks to 1 first and foremost? Yeah. Though I will point out that it's not like 2 isn't guilty of the same thing. Sure, it obfuscates it with a layer of "this is some old weird junk from somewhere, sometime else, ooh spooky" but it's not like there's actually some clever deep lore being made with Havel's set, an incredibly iconic and popular set of gear from 1, showing up in a random ditch in Drangleic or any of the other items they just imported wholesale from 1. (I say as I'm literally wearing the onion helmet in 2 right now.)

If you can think of any specific examples where they went too ham-handed with it I'm genuinely interested to hear them. I can believe they went a little too far at some point and got overly self-referential, because that's a common pitfall (ie, the Star Wars prequels are based on Star Wars itself) but all I ever hear is "Anor Londo again? real fuckin' original, guys!!!"

Nuebot posted:

Also the people who criticize two for being too different but criticize 3 for being too similar are likely to be different groups of people.

I'm aware. I just find it funny that they're damned if they do, damned if they don't to some degree.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Mar 4, 2021

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Dias posted:

I even thought it was a good line in context! It works with Vision's voice, Bettany's delivery (Wandavision is carried hard by him and Liz Olsen) and everything we were shown up to that moment. The reaction to the silly tweet overhyping it is dumb, but hey, the Internet.

yeah, i liked the line, spectacle can have genuinely good moments too. its a good line in a good scene in a good episode in a pretty decent/good show. i mean i like RLM film nerd types but its loving fine, big francise can have genuinely good lines. good stuff doesn't just come from the loving art house.

Kim Justice posted:

From the look of the Channel Awesome page, Nostalgia Critic is the only thing that gets the views you'd expect for a channel their size. If Doug takes his hat and glasses off and does a "Doug Reviews", he seldom breaks 100k. If he puts them on and calls the video Nostalgia Critic, he gets around 350k. I get the feeling it's just the same people watching and the channel's not really moving in any direction. The Status Quo of YouTube.

i liked the doug talks about videos. they arnt deep or anything but they remind me of videos where james rolf just talks about films and poo poo he likes and gets super enthusiastic about something he loves, maybe some jokes but its mostly someone talking about their interests.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Also regarding Doug, its worth remembering that he doesn't own the Nostalgia Critic IP, he sold it to a shadowy group of guys of which only Michaud is still around. Michaud was also the one who wanted and pushed them to make that awful gameshow. I suspect the decision to bring NC was less to do with pressure from the other CA makers (we know how little he cared about them) and more to do with Michaud worried Doug was killing the goose that laid golden eggs so cracked the whip.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Yeah, the selling of the character IP is the part thats super :psyduck: About the whole operation.

Michaud doesn't really even do anything if I remember. Does he at least play a side character?

radlum
May 13, 2013
I've been on a "what happened with Channel Awesome" kick lately and after many videos about To Boldly Fee, Change the Channel and his review of The Wall, I find myself both sad at everything that happened, surprised at some of the wilder and most awful stuff and feeling like the NC ended in the kind of "karmic hell" that you'd find in stories about punishment.

At least the AVGN is not as awful right? I remember his dumb as hell video about the Ghostbusters movie, but besides that, can't think of anything worse from him.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

BigRed0427 posted:

Yeah, the selling of the character IP is the part thats super :psyduck: About the whole operation.

Michaud doesn't really even do anything if I remember. Does he at least play a side character?

When I first watched NC I think he popped up in some early videos, the other business partners did at least, that lame running joke about Captain Planet and heart was played by one of them. I believe Michaud was the creator of the first terrible website and ran the behind the scenes corporate part of CA.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

radlum posted:

I've been on a "what happened with Channel Awesome" kick lately and after many videos about To Boldly Fee, Change the Channel and his review of The Wall, I find myself both sad at everything that happened, surprised at some of the wilder and most awful stuff and feeling like the NC ended in the kind of "karmic hell" that you'd find in stories about punishment.

At least the AVGN is not as awful right? I remember his dumb as hell video about the Ghostbusters movie, but besides that, can't think of anything worse from him.

Yeah, James Rolfe is fine. I think his Ghostbusters 2016 review basically amounted to “I don’t think this is a good or funny movie, period” which is fair, it was pretty inoffensively mediocre all told, it just got swept up in the concurrent whirlwind of actually lovely people screaming “THIS MOVIE IS BAD BECAUSE WOMEN EXIST AND IT BURNS WHEN I PEE NOW”.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Twincityhacker posted:

This months episode was the sequel to and the thirdquel of Manos: The Hand of Fate.

The what and what now? :eyepop:

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Max Wilco posted:

The way Anor Londo is wrapped into Irithyll is pretty well done, and it is heartbreaking to see the same spots from DS1, but damaged and decayed (RIP Giant Blacksmith :smith:)

The way DS3 funnels you right past there in such a deliberate fashion pushes a bit into indulgent "rub your nose in it" territory for me, unlike the 2 other times DS3 does the exact same gimmick but they're things you're set up to incidentally stumble on while you're exploring. But overall I don't think most of DS3's callbacks are out of place, even if I feel like a lot of them were stronger in the games it's pulling from.

John Murdoch posted:

I'm aware. I just find it funny that they're damned if they do, damned if they don't to some degree.

Before 3 came out, I remember a lot of complaints about the "shameless callbacks" DS2 makes, I guess under the presupposition that there'd be a division in lore and setting on the level of DS1 and Demon's Souls? Then they all evaporated when DS3 came out and was "callbacks: the entropic sequel".

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

DS3's callbacks feel like they're done with purpose. DS2's feel like they're done to fill in a gap where the devs couldn't think of anything original.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Dabir posted:

DS3's callbacks feel like they're done with purpose. DS2's feel like they're done to fill in a gap where the devs couldn't think of anything original.

This is wrong, but thanks for dragging this down to infantile one-up poo poo over a game you have a frankly pathologically absurd hatred for again.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Sorry that other people having negative opinions about bad games upsets you. Maybe you'd be interested in another website? I think gamefaqs is still around.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Dabir posted:

Sorry that other people having negative opinions about bad games upsets you. Maybe you'd be interested in another website? I think gamefaqs is still around.

All you do is have the most exhausting petulant meltdowns about a middling video game. Sorry me telling you this bothers you.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Nuns with Guns posted:

Before 3 came out, I remember a lot of complaints about the "shameless callbacks" DS2 makes, I guess under the presupposition that there'd be a division in lore and setting on the level of DS1 and Demon's Souls? Then they all evaporated when DS3 came out and was "callbacks: the entropic sequel".

This is more of a rhetorical question but I do wonder where the line is drawn exactly, since you generally don't hear people complain about From putting the Moonlight Greatsword in yet another game. Or Patches, for that matter.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

John Murdoch posted:

This is more of a rhetorical question but I do wonder where the line is drawn exactly, since you generally don't hear people complain about From putting the Moonlight Greatsword in yet another game. Or Patches, for that matter.

For me at least it's because something like the Moonlight Greatsword is never The moonlight greatsword. It's just a similar sword referenced across From's various games. And Patches is a referential NPC across the souls game but it's never really implied that it's the same patches. Which is why I'm not a huge fan of some of the references in 3 so much where they're just like "Yeah, this is that guy's armour. You know, the guy from that first game? This is where he died, yup." Even if the difference is as simple as just wording the description slightly different so it's talking about ~a mythical figure from a bygone age~ or whatever they did in two; I like that more.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

John Murdoch posted:

I think context makes a lot of difference. Like, if you do it once, it's just a thing you did, if you do it often enough it becomes a tradition and the game would feel lesser without it. To jump to a completely different subject for a bit, when Demons Souls came out it was judged against more traditional action games of the time, and came off pretty badly because it wasn't like them. When Dark Souls showed up and was basically more of Demons Souls, it became clear that they were doing it deliberately, that they weren't failing to make a game like Oblivion or whatever, they were succeeding at making their own unique thing.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

John Murdoch posted:

I guess level of saturation? But then I think there are some cross-purposes at work here. There are clearly people who want and would keep buying full sequels to Dark Souls that unravel and overexplain every interesting bit of mystery and ambiguity in the game until it reaches Kingdom Hearts levels of disappearing into its own anus.

Then there are other people who don't want anything more than a couple easter eggs or running gags and would prefer to write their own fanfics about the location of every item on every dead body.

Lordran is a land of contrasts etc

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

nine-gear crow posted:

Yeah, James Rolfe is fine. I think his Ghostbusters 2016 review basically amounted to “I don’t think this is a good or funny movie, period” which is fair, it was pretty inoffensively mediocre all told, it just got swept up in the concurrent whirlwind of actually lovely people screaming “THIS MOVIE IS BAD BECAUSE WOMEN EXIST AND IT BURNS WHEN I PEE NOW”.

His video was literally "I'm simply not interested in the movie. The previews do not look great and if I'm going to watch a new Ghostbusters film I want one that connects to the old ones instead of this soft reboot."

It was the most harmless take but the culture warriors of both sides twisted it into something it wasn't.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Well poo poo I'm watching EVA again and now I'm depressed. Gotta freshen up for the 4.0 release and then wait for the translations.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Mar 4, 2021

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

Mokinokaro posted:

His video was literally "I'm simply not interested in the movie. The previews do not look great and if I'm going to watch a new Ghostbusters film I want one that connects to the old ones instead of this soft reboot."

It was the most harmless take but the culture warriors of both sides twisted it into something it wasn't.

Patton Oswalt got involved with James on Twitter and assumed the worst of him. Then people insulted Oswalt's wife who had just died at the time.

2016 was a pretty ugly time in social media.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Nuebot posted:

Even if the difference is as simple as just wording the description slightly different so it's talking about ~a mythical figure from a bygone age~ or whatever they did in two; I like that more.

See I actually disliked this about 2 because it feels like the cheap and easy way to do it. DS3's callbacks often told you a bit more about how the world had developed between the two games - to take a simple example, some items go from being from "the land of Astora" to being from "the ruined kingdom of Astora". Astora has been destroyed since DS1, but some people wear its armour because they're sentimental about its legacy - an effort has been made to expand on the history that came before. The way DS2 does it felt to me like basically waving the item icon in front of you and writing the lore equivalent of "only 2011 gamers will remember this".

But also Dark Souls 2 killed my parents and spat in my sister's eye and *googles credits* Tomohiro Shibuya? is personally responsible for every bad thing that's ever happened to me etc etc etc so take my opinion for what it is. I mean, that's part of context too, if you don't like the thing on its own merits you're much less likely to appreciate it giving shout outs to things you do like. Duke Nukem 3D could get away with having "one DOOMed space marine", Duke Nukem Forever looked pathetic trying to dunk on Halo.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

DesertIslandHermit posted:

Patton Oswalt got involved with James on Twitter and assumed the worst of him. Then people insulted Oswalt's wife who had just died at the time.

2016 was a pretty ugly time in social media.

Also Devin Farci got up in there too lmao.

That dude was on the forefront of a lot of culture war stuff. Awful man.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

DS2 is the best one, power stance was the best extra weapon mechanic they ever came up with, it's the only one who thought that maybe NG+ should add and change stuff around to make it more interesting, plus it had the best fist weapons and probably the best weapon in the whole series, the Bone Fist.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

If DS2 played mechanically more like DS3 it would be my favorite by far; I find most of the zones and the lore of Drangleic more interesting but it's just so super clunky. DS3 gameplay with power stancing. And none of that adaptability poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

DS2 has individual ideas that are good in a vacuum. Powerstancing is a cool idea, NG+ changing things up a bit is a good idea. Having that one boss ambush you right at the start of the level when you're probably expecting a straightforward victory lap is a pretty good gag... except they don't exist in isolation. Powerstancing has to live with the bad animations and weirdly stiff mechanics, and the boss ambush gag isn't anything special because that's exactly what every other square inch of the game was like already; it just comes off like your tediously unfunny friend slipping a second whoopie cushion on top of the whoopie cushion he already left there, in his house where every surface you could conceivably sit on has a whoopie cushion glued to it.

Best binoculars in the series though, none of its other mechanics can ruin those. It's a real shame 3 didn't copy that, or even the lens thing from Bloodborne.