Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

sedative posted:

Blocknews has 1TB blocks for $11 if you need an Omicron (for now) block

I just got a 500GiB block for 6$. Also signed up to NZBGeek using the coinbase rewards program to earn free crypto, dumping it into USDC, and then paying for it with that lmao. So I actually did not have to pay anything, just fill out some lovely quizzes.

Amazing :yayclod:

alexandriao fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Mar 2, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Violator
May 15, 2003

hogofwar posted:

Looks like I have 2 UsenetExpress blocks and an unlimited UsenetExpress (newsdemon) account now...

Well gently caress, me too. I guess I'll get a blocknews block.

Edit: I must be reading this wrong. Blocknews usually charges $64 for a 1TB block, but theCubeNet was charging $13 for the same thing?

Edit2: Got a blocknews block and now everything that has been failing lately on NewsDemon and thecubenet is working.

Violator fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Mar 2, 2021

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

sedative posted:

ThunderNews and TheCubeNet have both switched from Omicron to UsenetExpress. It's a pretty interesting post showing how resellers are being squeezed.

Blocknews has 1TB blocks for $11 if you need an Omicron (for now) block

drat it! I bought a block at cube YESTERDAY because I was unhappy with NewsDemon's completion after switching to UE. I immediately completed several things I couldn't get completed on ND. Guess that ends now.

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

sedative posted:

ThunderNews and TheCubeNet have both switched from Omicron to UsenetExpress. It's a pretty interesting post showing how resellers are being squeezed.

Wow that's bad timing since I just recommended Cube the day before. I signed up with them in December, because of NewsDemon switching, and I was totally happy with the service until now. I'm going to email Cube and ask for a refund but I won't hold my breath.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

What's wrong with UsenetExpress?

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

alexandriao posted:

What's wrong with UsenetExpress?
Access to older files is spotty. Ideally it should be years back before you run into trouble but YMMV.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Grumpwagon posted:

drat it! I bought a block at cube YESTERDAY because I was unhappy with NewsDemon's completion after switching to UE. I immediately completed several things I couldn't get completed on ND. Guess that ends now.

Oof same

sedative
Mar 20, 2003

‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ :allears:
It couldn't hurt to ask for a refund. The newsdemon guy gave refunds to anyone who asked when they switched over. Maybe the cube guy will do the same.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
So I have been using only NewsDemon for the past six months or so. I have never gotten a backup or a block because I am not that usenet savvy. However, seeing everyone complaining about failures made things sort of click.

Is that blocknews block posted up the page a good backup? What is the usual dollar to size ratio you try to go for with a block?

sedative
Mar 20, 2003

‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ :allears:

cryptoclastic posted:

So I have been using only NewsDemon for the past six months or so. I have never gotten a backup or a block because I am not that usenet savvy. However, seeing everyone complaining about failures made things sort of click.

Is that blocknews block posted up the page a good backup? What is the usual dollar to size ratio you try to go for with a block?

It's one of the few remaining options to get Omicron's full 4500+ day retention from a block account. MaximumUsenet also has 1 TB for $11, 2 TB for $21 and 500 GB for $6. They're a reseller owned by the NewsDemon guy, so it's probably just a matter of time until they switch over to UsenetExpress. Blocknews will probably get squeezed out at some point too.

As far as I can tell, the only Omicron blocks that come straight from the source are from Astraweb. 25 GB for $10, 180 GB for $25 or 1 TB for $50, which is stupid.

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

So I put in a support ticket for Cube yesterday, requesting a refund.

They haven't responded to the ticket yet, nor have I received the money back in my account.

However, they did apparently close my account, because my credentials no longer work, both through the website and my newsreader.

In the span of two days I've gone from recommending Cube to saying don't touch them with a ten foot pole.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
Man, I have had torrent downloads stuck in Deluge for months and within 2 days of adding Usenet to Sonarr I'm clearing dozens of missing files, and all at the maximum speed offered by my ISP.

Do folks here tend to use more than 1 indexer?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

nexus6 posted:

Man, I have had torrent downloads stuck in Deluge for months and within 2 days of adding Usenet to Sonarr I'm clearing dozens of missing files, and all at the maximum speed offered by my ISP.

Yep. It's not uncommon for indexers to have differing posts.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Yep. It's not uncommon for indexers to have differing posts.

Cool. I might add NzbGeeks if they get payments other than crypto sorted out.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

nexus6 posted:

Yeah it's worth collecting as many free/low cost indexers as you can since they vanish from time to time and (as stated by the previous goon) they have different content sometimes. The newznab configuration that most of them use has regexes to find files on usenet and a specific list of usenet groups it looks in. Those will vary by indexer.

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.
It's been a while since I've shopped around providers but I've been getting a lot of failures recently so figure it's time to change my configuration a bit.

I have an unlimited account from News Demon and a block from Astraweb. I was thinking of switching to unlimited from Astraweb and blocks from Demon since Astra seems to be picking up most of my downloads since Demon changed backbones. Can anyone recommend any other blocks I can add for better coverage?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I’ve been using astraweb on its own for a few years now (after moving away from them completely for a little while because of too many incomplete files :v:)and I can’t remember the last time something didn’t complete, see how you get on before you buy more blocks if you’re gonna switch your main.

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.

History Comes Inside! posted:

I’ve been using astraweb on its own for a few years now (after moving away from them completely for a little while because of too many incomplete files :v:)and I can’t remember the last time something didn’t complete, see how you get on before you buy more blocks if you’re gonna switch your main.

Thanks. I'm a similar situation, I had Astra as a main up until 2016-ish when I started getting a lot of incomplete. I figure they've smoothed over whatever the issue was there then? I also thought about going with Eweka for my unlimited since they don't seem to offer block accounts, but I'm stumbling making sense of either of these info graphics:
https://svgshare.com/i/Udk.svg
https://hassonipulus.github.io/usenet_tree_remastered/usenet_tree.svg

It's backbones I want to be looking at right? Just because Astra and Eweka are part of the same company they'll have different completion because they have different backbones?
Conversely, Astra and Ninja, or Astra and any of the NewsHosting resellers will have exactly the same completion?

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

If you get Eweka you really shouldn't need anything else. It's currently €2.99 or $3.59 per month. Some people prefer to have a backup because Eweka won't necessarily max out your internet down speed but I haven't had an issue.

https://www.eweka.nl/en/landing/special-usenet-deal

Note that Astraweb, despite being an Omicron/Highwinds reseller, only has 3000 day retention. That alone is a reason to avoid them in my opinion.

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.

Former Human posted:

If you get Eweka you really shouldn't need anything else. It's currently €2.99 or $3.59 per month. Some people prefer to have a backup because Eweka won't necessarily max out your internet down speed but I haven't had an issue.

https://www.eweka.nl/en/landing/special-usenet-deal

Note that Astraweb, despite being an Omicron/Highwinds reseller, only has 3000 day retention. That alone is a reason to avoid them in my opinion.

Thanks, I've ended up signing up to unlimited from Frugal, Viper and Eweka for a month and trying to re-download a bunch of my failures. At the end of the month, I'll compare which provider picked up the most and stick with them.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

nexus6 posted:

Cool. I might add NzbGeeks if they get payments other than crypto sorted out.

It’s probably worth it to dump $50 into a Coinbase account for crypto payments, the number of indexers accepting PayPal or CC payments if probably going to shrink if anything.

SlipperyNipple
Jan 24, 2010

Tea Bone posted:

Thanks, I've ended up signing up to unlimited from Frugal, Viper and Eweka for a month and trying to re-download a bunch of my failures. At the end of the month, I'll compare which provider picked up the most and stick with them.

dont forget to use the frugal bonus server as well since that gives you usenet farm access (so two backbones total with one membership)

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.

SlipperyNipple posted:

dont forget to use the frugal bonus server as well since that gives you usenet farm access (so two backbones total with one membership)

I have their bonus server set as my first layer of back up and their main, Viper and Eweka as my primary providers. So far nothing has touched the backup, either it failed on everything or the primaries managed to pick it up.

I've not come across anything yet that failed on Eweka but succeeded on the other two so they're looking like the clear winner at the moment.

Poopelyse
Jan 22, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
drunkenslug is currently open for registration. looks like they accept paypal in addition to bitcoin for the paid tiers

Violator
May 15, 2003

I always feel a little ehhh paying by PayPal but I still do it like a chump because I’ve never dug into crypto.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

I had a couple bucks in my crypto that turned into a bunch of coin so I blew it all on indexer upgrades. The end, thanks for reading

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON
I almost paid what was 24 dollars in bitcoin for a nzbs r us account a decade ago that would be like 40000 dollars now.

I always wonder how much that person made out with in the end because soon after the site was gone forever.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Poopelyse posted:

drunkenslug is currently open for registration. looks like they accept paypal in addition to bitcoin for the paid tiers

oooooh. thank you for mentionin this!

SlipperyNipple
Jan 24, 2010

Tea Bone posted:

I've not come across anything yet that failed on Eweka but succeeded on the other two so they're looking like the clear winner at the moment.

tbh i think eweka is over rated and a tad over priced. every server gets the same take down notifications. eweka just has access to the full omicron retention but so do the dirt cheap block accounts that are out there as well as the other omicron unlimited sellers. if people compare viper and the likes to eweka and they try older posts of course eweka will be better because viper and the others do not have high retention at all.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil
Did all the NAS appliances move away from FreeBSD ports as their source for the Usenet tooling?

It feels like forever since I've seen an update for radarr sonarr etc, and I'm starting to wonder if I need to bite the bullet and upgrade my server to Linux
It used to be that there were a bunch of FreeBSD based NAS devices that meant these ports were kept up to date, but it seems that .net core 3+ isn't really gonna happen on FreeBSD that it means it might be the end of the line for me keeping with it.

I have a few options

1. Leave my server as FreeBSD, upgrade ram a bit and move everything into Linux virtual machines
2. Rebuild the machine, set up ZoL to take over the ZFS arrays and use docker for everything
3. Take over the updating the ports in the FreeBSD package system (ha!! Good luck getting that to work with my tiny family)

I'm torn because I've spent so long keeping with FreeBSD and don't really want to spend days rebuilding everything if I don't have so it'd be nice to know if this is just a blip or if I really need to get off my rear end and spend the time instead of waiting.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Violator posted:

I always feel a little ehhh paying by PayPal but I still do it like a chump because I’ve never dug into crypto.

What's... what's wrong with using PayPal :ohdear: (aside from the Elon Musk association)? I'll usually use that when it's an option over entering CC info directly. At a minimum I should probably set up an account with that site that lets you create virtual CCs so you can set lifetimes and spending limits for each individual site you use...

norp posted:

Did all the NAS appliances move away from FreeBSD ports as their source for the Usenet tooling?

It feels like forever since I've seen an update for radarr sonarr etc, and I'm starting to wonder if I need to bite the bullet and upgrade my server to Linux
It used to be that there were a bunch of FreeBSD based NAS devices that meant these ports were kept up to date, but it seems that .net core 3+ isn't really gonna happen on FreeBSD that it means it might be the end of the line for me keeping with it.

I have a few options

1. Leave my server as FreeBSD, upgrade ram a bit and move everything into Linux virtual machines
2. Rebuild the machine, set up ZoL to take over the ZFS arrays and use docker for everything
3. Take over the updating the ports in the FreeBSD package system (ha!! Good luck getting that to work with my tiny family)

I'm torn because I've spent so long keeping with FreeBSD and don't really want to spend days rebuilding everything if I don't have so it'd be nice to know if this is just a blip or if I really need to get off my rear end and spend the time instead of waiting.

I'm also running everything in FreeNAS jails and I've gotten updates on Radarr/Sonarr fairly recently, within a month or so. I did see the note about them starting to move towards .NET Core and even tried to get that version running in one of my jails but as you say getting that going in FreeBSD is a bit of an adventure. But as far as I knew there were no plans to stop providing a version that would run on FreeBSD (mono?), just that the 'real' or main versions would use .NET Core.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Takes No Damage posted:

What's... what's wrong with using PayPal :ohdear: (aside from the Elon Musk association)? I'll usually use that when it's an option over entering CC info directly. At a minimum I should probably set up an account with that site that lets you create virtual CCs so you can set lifetimes and spending limits for each individual site you use...

Nothing really, just no anonymity.

ChineseBuffet
Mar 7, 2003

SlipperyNipple posted:

tbh i think eweka is over rated and a tad over priced. every server gets the same take down notifications. eweka just has access to the full omicron retention but so do the dirt cheap block accounts that are out there as well as the other omicron unlimited sellers. if people compare viper and the likes to eweka and they try older posts of course eweka will be better because viper and the others do not have high retention at all.

If you happen to know, who are the dirt cheap block providers with the full omicron retention? Been looking to get off NewsDemon now that it sucks.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Is there a standalone wget-style NZB downloader for unix systems?

So far I've found nzbget and sabznb, which are ideal for long-term server usage or a continuous chance of downloading things. But there doesn't seem to be something I can just pull up in a terminal and let run for a bit before condemning it into the oblivion that is /dev/null once it's finished. I did find a java program for that? I think? I don't remember the name (and also it was a GUI-based program -- which I'm fine with, if that's all there is. But there has to be more, right?)

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

Takes No Damage posted:

I'm also running everything in FreeNAS jails and I've gotten updates on Radarr/Sonarr fairly recently, within a month or so. I did see the note about them starting to move towards .NET Core and even tried to get that version running in one of my jails but as you say getting that going in FreeBSD is a bit of an adventure. But as far as I knew there were no plans to stop providing a version that would run on FreeBSD (mono?), just that the 'real' or main versions would use .NET Core.

Well the V3 builds still aren't in the ports tree and radarr/sonarr ports haven't been updated since last year

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

alexandriao posted:

Is there a standalone wget-style NZB downloader for unix systems?

So far I've found nzbget and sabznb, which are ideal for long-term server usage or a continuous chance of downloading things. But there doesn't seem to be something I can just pull up in a terminal and let run for a bit before condemning it into the oblivion that is /dev/null once it's finished. I did find a java program for that? I think? I don't remember the name (and also it was a GUI-based program -- which I'm fine with, if that's all there is. But there has to be more, right?)

nzbget defaults to being a command line utility that can download files like that and then self-terminate, see this link for docs.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Takes No Damage posted:

As stated previously some people may feel uneasy about using a payment method that has details about your name and address on what is basically a piracy machine website.

As for the second part, I used a privacy.com virtual credit card to buy VIP on nzbgeek about a month before they disclosed that they were hacked and holy hell I dodged a bullet with that one.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Craptacular! posted:

nzbget defaults to being a command line utility that can download files like that and then self-terminate, see this link for docs.

Oooh.

The article mentions a VPN -- I know I've asked before re: torrents, but I haven't asked (and couldn't find anyone mentioning) about VPNs in regards to Usenet?

Is it necessary to use one for Usenet? I read somewhere that as long as there's SSL between you and the news server (or whatever it's called), you're free from DMCA notices. Is that the case?

Also, thanks again for everyone's help :)

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Yeah, with SSL your ISP knows you're talking to a Usenet server, but they don't know you're not just fetching an awful lot of articles from rec.baseball or whatever to read later.

DMCA notices from torrent trackers work because you're connecting to a tracker and broadcasting out to everyone else connected to that tracker HEY I HAVE THIS FILE/CAN I GET THIS FILE, so rights holders can just connect to the same tracker and log everyone who says they're sharing their stuff. The only way they'd know you were downloading files from a Usenet server is if a) the server kept logs about which users accessed which articles and b) shared those logs because of a subpoena or something

Usenet is going to your cousin's place to buy drugs from him, public torrent trackers are standing on a street corner yelling I WOULD LIKE TO BUY DRUGS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

norp posted:

Well the V3 builds still aren't in the ports tree and radarr/sonarr ports haven't been updated since last year

My Sonarr is 2.0.0.5344 from last March, but Radarr is 3.0.2.4552 from the Feb 5th. I don't remember doing anything different to get Radarr v3, just updated through the GUI as normal...

This is on the reddit page as of a month ago:

r/radarr posted:

If you've been on develop, and waiting to jump back to master, now is the time. Don't wait, it won't be that way for long.

Master is a stable branch. Anything else is not.

Known Issues: Discover is not functional on systems with SqlLite versions OLDER than 3.9. Discover "lists" work, but discovering movies does not. To get around this, turn off movie discovery, or upgrade your sqlite.

The release we're talking about is v3.0.2.4552. It can be found here: https://github.com/Radarr/Radarr/tree/v3.0.2.4552

FCKGW posted:

As stated previously some people may feel uneasy about using a payment method that has details about your name and address on what is basically a piracy machine website.

As for the second part, I used a privacy.com virtual credit card to buy VIP on nzbgeek about a month before they disclosed that they were hacked and holy hell I dodged a bullet with that one.

Fair enough. Everything I do is through SSL or VPN so I'm not too worried about Uncle Sam cracking down on my totally safe and legal Linux ISOs :patriot: Still need to sit down some time and work up a privacy.com account, at least then only one random website has my CC info rather than a dozen.

more falafel please posted:

Usenet is going to your cousin's place to buy drugs from him, public torrent trackers are standing on a street corner yelling I WOULD LIKE TO BUY DRUGS

Torrenting is like yelling I HAVE A LITTLE BIT OF DRUGS I CAN INFINITELY DUPLICATE BUT I NEED SOME SLIGHTLY DIFFERENT DRUGS TO GO WITH THEM, SOMEONE PLEASE INFINITELY DUPLICATE SOME OF THOSE FOR ME WHILE I SERVE OUT INFINITE DRUGS actually that sounds badass :2bong: