Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

Bleck posted:

it certainly did show us how sad Wanda is, yes

It really doesn't sound like this particular show is for you, but there's nothing wrong with focusing on exploring a character over world building and lots of stuff happening, you have every single other Marvel property if that's mostly what you're looking for, including in all likelihood every other upcoming Disney+ Marvel show.

The show did sort of bait-and-switch itself as a puzzle box though, the initial episodes (honestly, all the way up to the latest episode) made things seem like there was some big mystery yet to be revealed, but the resolution did end up being pretty much what everyone in the show assumed from the beginning - Wanda created this whole thing out of grief.

enki42 fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Mar 4, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrew Verse
Mar 30, 2011

live with fruit posted:

Speaking of Jimmy, remember his person in witness protection? Are we supposed to remember?

At most, it'll be a fun little "oh hey it's that guy from the comics" cameo, but it's never been presented as important. It's just what got Jimmy and Monica involved in the situation.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

enki42 posted:

It really doesn't sound like this particular show is for you, but there's nothing wrong with focusing on exploring a character over world building and lots of stuff happening,

I mean yes that's true and I would have preferred that but that's not what we got - what we got was three episodes of mystery box and four episodes of world building exposition dump

they haven't really explored Wanda at all beyond literally acknowledging that she is very sad and they also failed a lot of these other characters by not really having much for them to do other than explain to viewers that Wanda is so sad that it's making magic happen

people are saying "it sounds like you wanted the show to be something it's not" and the thing I wanted the show to be is "good"

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Andrew Verse posted:

At most, it'll be a fun little "oh hey it's that guy from the comics" cameo, but it's never been presented as important. It's just what got Jimmy and Monica involved in the situation.

It feels like a lot of the reasons why littles teases don't pay off (like this, and the engineer) are that they were just there to push the story along but that's bad writing. Obviously, it could turn out that this things actually pay off but if not, it feels like cheap puzzlebox tricks that'll bring down the overall quality of the show.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

Is there a famous older actor to be revealed in the last episode? Most likely just Bettany and a green screen and CGI, Vision fights Cataract and Wanda fights Agatha and I struggle to stay awake.

Are all those vague references about hidden side characters meaningful? Unconfirmed but increasingly unlikely, they'd be fitting a lot into the final episode if they try and bring in skrulls or whatever.

Does Fox Pietro mean this is a Fox X-Men/MCU merger? Still unconfirmed, may or may not be addressed in final episode.

We gonna see Mephisto, Nightmare, some other demon? Still unconfirmed, may or may not be addressed in final episode.

These twins real or not? Still unconfirmed, may or may not be addressed in final episode.

At this point I get the feeling they went too hard on the mystery box and they're gonna blue ball a lotta peeps but I'll be happy to be proven wrong.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
My guess is a solid no on all counts. They have 50 minutes left to wrap things up and they're not going to start creating new threads for other movies/shows or introducing universe shifting concepts like mutants or multiverse at this stage.

It will be a "The End...?" type thing, maybe with a post-credits scene, to lead into Dr. Strange.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

live with fruit posted:

Speaking of Jimmy, remember his person in witness protection? Are we supposed to remember?

pretty sure that was just a generic reason to explain why the FBI would be visiting this particular small town, doesn't seem important beyond that

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

gey muckle mowser posted:

pretty sure that was just a generic reason to explain why the FBI would be visiting this particular small town, doesn't seem important beyond that

okay, but, that's stupid!

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Bleck posted:

okay, but, that's stupid!

okay, but, not every single line of dialogue has to lead to something, you have star wars for that.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

okay, but, not every single line of dialogue has to lead to something, you have star wars for that.

It's not a line, though. It's the reason why Jimmy, who is based out of San Francisco, found himself in New Jersey in time for Wanda's shenanigans. Especially if part of the point is setting Jimmy up for future movies/shows, it'd be strange for him to end the show without actually coming back to his original motivation.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
Bettany did another interview where he confirmed he was trolling with his person he always wanted to share a scene with comment and he meant himself. Of course he followed it with more nebulous comments so who knows.

Andrew Verse
Mar 30, 2011

live with fruit posted:

It feels like a lot of the reasons why littles teases don't pay off (like this, and the engineer) are that they were just there to push the story along but that's bad writing. Obviously, it could turn out that this things actually pay off but if not, it feels like cheap puzzlebox tricks that'll bring down the overall quality of the show.

I never saw the witness as a tease. It's a story beat to explain why Jimmy is there. If there is something more to it (like an eastern egg or something) then that's fine; but if not, it still served its function and that's fine too.

The engineer thing was weird, though. That definitely seemed like a tease, and then it was just some randos. Who may or may not be skrulls. But even then we only know, like, one skrull by name, so unless it's that guy specifically they're just some rando skrulls, so still randos.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

live with fruit posted:

It's not a line, though. It's the reason why Jimmy, who is based out of San Francisco, found himself in New Jersey in time for Wanda's shenanigans. Especially if part of the point is setting Jimmy up for future movies/shows, it'd be strange for him to end the show without actually coming back to his original motivation.

His motivation wasn't the missing person though, he only flew out there once he realized something strange was going on with the town. In the scene where he and Monica meet he says "Something seemed hinky to me, so I took the first flight out of Oakland to interface with local law enforcement".

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Andrew Verse posted:

I never saw the witness as a tease. It's a story beat to explain why Jimmy is there. If there is something more to it (like an eastern egg or something) then that's fine; but if not, it still served its function and that's fine too.

Egg Fu MCU/DCEU crossover incoming.

(lol holy poo poo "He was a Chinese Communist agent, perplexingly shaped like an egg the size of a house, with a Charlie Chan-like speech pattern, who used his mustaches as whips against his enemies")

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

gey muckle mowser posted:

His motivation wasn't the missing person though, he only flew out there once he realized something strange was going on with the town. In the scene where he and Monica meet he says "Something seemed hinky to me, so I took the first flight out of Oakland to interface with local law enforcement".

That's even more convoluted than just forgetting the witness. Are there no FBI agents in New Jersey Jimmy could've passed this onto?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

live with fruit posted:

Or is it that people are too willing to read something into every line? An FBI agent checking up on a witness is certainly standard happenstance and serves to give Jimmy to be in the show to reintroduce the character before his regular show starts in a year or two.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Bleck posted:

they haven't really explored Wanda at all beyond literally acknowledging that she is very sad and they also failed a lot of these other characters by not really having much for them to do other than explain to viewers that Wanda is so sad that it's making magic happen

They literally just had an entire episode whose plot can be 100% described as "exploring Wanda".

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

enki42 posted:

They literally just had an entire episode whose plot can be 100% described as "exploring Wanda".

that entire episode was exposition - the only thing that we didn't already either know or easily infer was "hayworth lied about wanda taking vision's body" and "agatha harkness is a witch"

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

The show was about exploring Wanda's grief using sitcoms as a framing unit. It's the fans who got off on tangents looking for clues in everything. Who's Ralph? Is he Metephisto, is he Stan Lee? Is he the rabbit? No, Ralph is a trope.

Now that the show is finishing up it's story all the fans who went "aRe ThEy BrInGiNg tHe X mEn iN????!!!" Are getting mad that the show isn't following their fantasies.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Darth Brooks posted:

The show was about exploring Wanda's grief using sitcoms as a framing unit. It's the fans who got off on tangents looking for clues in everything. Who's Ralph? Is he Metephisto, is he Stan Lee? Is he the rabbit? No, Ralph is a trope.

Now that the show is finishing up it's story all the fans who went "aRe ThEy BrInGiNg tHe X mEn iN????!!!" Are getting mad that the show isn't following their fantasies.

They cast Evan Peters as Quicksilver. Of course fans are going to wonder what it means.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Darth Brooks posted:

"aRe ThEy BrInGiNg tHe X mEn iN????!!!"

the show literally brought in an x-man

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Bleck posted:

I mean yes that's true and I would have preferred that but that's not what we got - what we got was three episodes of mystery box and four episodes of world building exposition dump

people are saying "it sounds like you wanted the show to be something it's not" and the thing I wanted the show to be is "good"

it sounds like you haven't watched the show at all tbqh

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Bleck posted:

that entire episode was exposition - the only thing that we didn't already either know or easily infer was "hayworth lied about wanda taking vision's body" and "agatha harkness is a witch"

Exposition to me would be revealing background information we don't already know. If you're going over background information that the audience is largely aware of (or, as you say, can be easily inferred), I think it's fair to say that the purpose of it is less about filling in background facts and details, and more about exploring the character's motivations.

We know that Wanda's parents were killed by one of Stark's bombs. We know that she was experimented on with the mind stone, and that her and Vision bonded during the events of Civil War. What that episode gives is a window into Wanda's emotions and how her past trauma and experiences affects her current self. Otherwise it may as well have been crammed into a "Previously on".

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

It is in this same thread people complained the last episode of "Wanda is sad" is essentially an info dump and you are asking for more info dumps to tell us why she's sad?

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Darth Brooks posted:

Can we at least wait until the show is over to start complaining about people complaining about the show not ending the way they wanted?

mexi
Mar 17, 2003

Time to call it a night.
Since they’re going with the QS and SW retcon about being mutants, does that mean we will get Natalya Maximoff?

I know they used Olsen for the shot but I felt like who she saw while mind melding with the mind stone was her real mom.

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.
If the kids or Vision get to survive outside the hex, then Evan Peters should get to keep his super speed and become the new quiksilver.

:colbert:

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

enki42 posted:

Exposition to me would be revealing background information we don't already know. If you're going over background information that the audience is largely aware of (or, as you say, can be easily inferred), I think it's fair to say that the purpose of it is less about filling in background facts and details, and more about exploring the character's motivations.

depicting events that we were already aware of does not give us any new or meaningful insight into those events - "wanda and pietro were trapped beside a stark bomb" does not become more meaningful to us, the viewers, five years after we learned this fact, just because we've seen it happen

allow me to correct my previous post - it's not that it was exposition, it's that it was meaningless exposition, the depiction of extraneous details about wanda's character, that we were already aware of, in hopes that it disguises the fact that over the course of eight episodes of this show Wanda has had barely anything even resembling character development

it is especially galling that the moment the story reached the point where Wanda might have to do something introspective, the writers looked at each other, shrugged collectively, and then revealed in a Fun Tongue In Cheek way that oooh it's been Agatha all along!!!

and, again, I'm holding out hope that the nearly-hour long finale will maybe take some time to very quickly wrap up at least very rapid character arc, but it looks like it's shaping up to be uhhhh some kind of Final Boss Battle instead

StrugglingHoneybun posted:

If the kids or Vision get to survive outside the hex, then Evan Peters should get to keep his super speed and become the new quiksilver.

:colbert:

:hmmyes:

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Can we at least wait until the show is over to start complaining about people complaining about the show not ending the way they wanted?

We could go back to talking about cultural handwashing norms of the past 50 years, there's so much there still left to explore, such as do Synthezoids need to use a daily moisturizer, and if so, was Wanda intentionally limiting the supply of appropriate handsoaps in their house in order to dry out Visions skin, so he'd have tough, rugged, manly hands, so that could help play into her idealized 1950's fantasy?? Is that a toxic gender role??? These are the questions we need to answer

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Bleck posted:

depicting events that we were already aware of does not give us any new or meaningful insight into those events - "wanda and pietro were trapped beside a stark bomb" does not become more meaningful to us, the viewers, five years after we learned this fact, just because we've seen it happen

TBH it seems as if, like, storytelling in general is not something you enjoy

That's the whole shebang right there. Watching events happen is more meaningful than just knowing the facts.

I'd suggest something like Handbook to the Marvel Universe might be more up your alley.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

This show actually owns, and yeah actually seeing Wanda's life be torn to pieces by militaries using stark tech does indeed do more to make it seem real than it being mentioned once for a few minutes in age of Ultron. Watching her idealized fantasies on life (sitcoms) be literally ripped apart by a bomb was amazing!

Having the scene of her undergoing experimentation and seeing the death seeker level, where she knows everyone who has tried what she is doing has died, but she is willing anyways because she is that hollow owned.

Having the sad couch scene did two things: it actually showed their initial connection (which always seemed quite weak to me) and it showed that yes, Wanda had grief over Pietro (because he literally was never mentioned again, and her grief over him never appeared past her crying at his body at the end of AoU)

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Bleck posted:

allow me to correct my previous post - it's not that it was exposition, it's that it was meaningless exposition, the depiction of extraneous details about wanda's character, that we were already aware of, in hopes that it disguises the fact that over the course of eight episodes of this show Wanda has had barely anything even resembling character development

I disagree.

We saw that sitcoms remind her of her last happy moments, which we could have inferred but was not confirmed.
We saw she had witch powers even as a child which is new info, and that the mind stone selected her in a way that we weren't aware of before. It gives a context to her grief bubble powers which up til then were not established as being something she could do. She did mind control, and telekinesis, not reality warping. And now we know that the mind stone didnt give her any powers, it unlocked what was already there.

Is she puppeting her dead lover's robot corpse ? Nope, she created the most precious metal on Earth solely out of willpower.

That episode turned Wanda from an untrained telepath with red wiggly finger beams into an Omega level threat.

StrugglingHoneybun fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Mar 4, 2021

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

XboxPants posted:

TBH it seems as if, like, storytelling in general is not something you enjoy

no I'm just not brainpoisoned by years and years of bad writing from the Mouse Machine

anyway I hope the Marvel Hero Fights Their Doppelganger boss fight is cool in this last episode

animeluva1
Aug 9, 2003

Hopefully I'll have that
problem someday.
New Yorker just posted an interview with Kathryn Hahn. Spoilers ahead etc. etc.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

live with fruit posted:

They cast Evan Peters as Quicksilver. Of course fans are going to wonder what it means.

This is the problem, such as it is, I think. They presented it as a mystery box (constantly - Evan Peters, the bees, Agnes Agatha, "my friend who's just over the hill who you'll see next episode, promise"), and it never really paid off like one.

The show didn't need a grand reveal to do what it needed to do, but it obviously wanted us to think it was going to have one. It's a self inflicted wound, and I have a hard time saying unequivocally "fuckin nerds need everything to hook into everything."

mexi posted:

Since they’re going with the QS and SW retcon about being mutants

I don't think there's actually anything to make us think this is happening.

KittyEmpress posted:

yes, Wanda had grief over Pietro (because he literally was never mentioned again, and her grief over him never appeared past her crying at his body at the end of AoU)

I actually legitimately forgot she had a brother the first time I saw that scene and assumed they were talking about Vision.

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Calling it: the Finale is either themed as a dunkacchino commercial or The Godfather pt 3

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
My boyfriend and I were discussing Disney and their LGBTQ+ stance. He doesn't like the Marvel stuff but I explained about Billy & Tommy and the situation as we know it at the moment.

Him: "Oh, they're not making it out of the series, then." :sigh:

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

The_Doctor posted:

My boyfriend and I were discussing Disney and their LGBTQ+ stance. He doesn't like the Marvel stuff but I explained about Billy & Tommy and the situation as we know it at the moment.

More likely relegated to the TV division with the rest of the MCUs LGBT characters.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

The_Doctor posted:

If there's one certainty for the finale it's that they're not killing off the kids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Paul Bettany did an interview on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert last night:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEqYWmmfFcw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5R2LW2PXUQ

No spoilers or anything, but he did reveal a little behind-the-scenes stuff about his costume.

And a story about that one time he made Tom Hanks fart on set.