Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Gaunab posted:

And that's a good thing?

If you’re trying to treat an infected penis, I suppose

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

verbal enema posted:

I think Desert Bus is just preparing my mind for this book

So confused.

Desert Bus is a P&T joke.
Dhalgren is a Sam Delany book.
Chitty Chitty Bang Bang is the best openly antisemetic Dick Van Dyke movie. And you can’t name the female lead.

Wanna combine all of the above.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

i've definitely heard people describe chitty chitty bang bang as being not-so secretly anti-german, since vulgaria seems to be a loose caricature of traditional german folk customs while also being a place where they stupidly persecute and round up the vulnerable (in vulgaria's case it's all children, not untermensch), but i don't think i've heard of it being openly antisemetic

vvvvv truly scrumptious is deffo a bond girl-tier name

hard counter has a new favorite as of 18:33 on Mar 4, 2021

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Remulak posted:

So confused.

Desert Bus is a P&T joke.
Dhalgren is a Sam Delany book.
Chitty Chitty Bang Bang is the best openly antisemetic Dick Van Dyke movie. And you can’t name the female lead.

Wanna combine all of the above.

I was confused about the female lead comment until I realized for the first time that chitty chitty bang bang is not bedknobs and broomsticks

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Chitty Chitty Bang Bang is (loosely) based on a book by Ian Fleming and manages to be some weird mash-up with that and Roald Dahl. (who also wrote a Bond movie, though he apparently basically was given a fill-in-the-blanks formula to go for with the script)

I've made semi-joking suggestions before for a Roald Dahl Cinematic Universe and dropping in James Bond for the sheer hell of it.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

verbal enema posted:

I think Desert Bus is just preparing my mind for this book

it didn't work

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
I can’t remember anything anti semitic in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, but Dahl really hated Jews, so it wouldn’t surprise me if I’d blanked out a musical number about the Protocols of the Elders of Zion.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
The child catcher fell into that stereotype visually with the long nose and greasy hair.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

BioEnchanted posted:

The child catcher fell into that stereotype visually with the long nose and greasy hair.

And child catching in general is basically blood libel pez poo poo

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
That seems like a stretch to me, but maybe.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Nothin'

so yeah i read Hogg in one go. Uh probably the way to do it if you can. I understand why it's viewed as importantly as it is but wowie loving wowie

verbal enema has a new favorite as of 14:20 on Mar 4, 2021

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

verbal enema posted:

Nothin'

so yeah i read Hogg in one go. Uh probably the way to do it if you can. I understand why it's viewed as importantly as it is but wowie loving wowie

But do you feel it aged well, like a fine wine or a nice cheese. After all "Cheese tastes awful good!"

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Rascar Capac posted:

I'm pretty sure I remember Matthew Holness naming Lionel Fanthorpe as one of the inspirations:

L. Ron Hubbard was also infamous for doing exactly this. There are apocryphal stories of editors literally sliding cover art under his door and waiting for stories to come out. IIRC, LRH still holds the Guiness World Record for most prolific author.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

verbal enema posted:

Even his real meltdown on Big Fat Quiz Of The Year is in character its just who he is and it owns

https://youtu.be/Zmzxz6JMBnU

Beware Jimmy Carr's laugh

This just made me feel bad for Richard. The other people were just being assholes.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

It's amazing how Scientology ever gained any traction considering how well documented it is that Hubbard was a greasy swindler hack.

Same for Mormonism also.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

FreudianSlippers posted:

It's amazing how Scientology ever gained any traction considering how well documented it is that Hubbard was a greasy swindler hack.

Same for Mormonism also.

If there's anything the last four years should have taught you it's how readily some people fall all over themselves to fellate a greasy swindler hack.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Desert Bus posted:

But do you feel it aged well, like a fine wine or a nice cheese. After all "Cheese tastes awful good!"

Unfortunately i think it aged very well as all that horrid poo poo still happens

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

FreudianSlippers posted:

Same for Mormonism also.

Hubbard and Trump were both on record explaining how they'd work their con years before they did it. You can only conclude that a lot of people want to be conned.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
It helped that in the 60s and 70s the increasing distrust of our major social and religious institutions led to a lot of people looking for meaning in different places and enabled the rise of fringe cults, self-help movements, pop psychology, etc. There's a reason the 70s were known as the Me Decade.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Phy posted:

If there's anything the last four years should have taught you it's how readily some people fall all over themselves to fellate a greasy swindler hack.

Or how you fellate the greasy swindler hack at the threat of getting your life ruined.

Usually get your life ruined anyway cause Elron Hubbard, Joseph Smith, et al. are greasy swindler hacks.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

MariusLecter posted:

Or how you fellate the greasy swindler hack at the threat of getting your life ruined.

Usually get your life ruined anyway cause Elron Hubbard, Joseph Smith, et al. are greasy swindler hacks.

This phrase keeps making me think of The Greasy Strangler.

Thanks for the mammaries, Windows98.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
I watched Clone High for the first time today. I had heard about all the controversy over horny Gandhi beforehand, but holy poo poo they made Genghis Khan the mentally retarded kid as a "mongoloid" joke.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.

Nameless Pete posted:

I watched Clone High for the first time today. I had heard about all the controversy over horny Gandhi beforehand, but holy poo poo they made Genghis Khan the mentally retarded kid as a "mongoloid" joke.

:eyepop:I never got that

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

FreudianSlippers posted:

Maxwell Lord posted:

It helped that in the 60s and 70s the increasing distrust of our major social and religious institutions led to a lot of people looking for meaning in different places and enabled the rise of fringe cults, self-help movements, pop psychology, etc. There's a reason the 70s were known as the Me Decade.

Yeah I watched a documentary about Jonestown and one of the few survivors of the massacre was asked how he got involved with the cult and he was like "I got back from Vietnam and basically went looking for a guru to follow, since it was the thing to do in those days."

I think American society was kind of tearing at the seams in those days and it caused a lot of people to go looking for all sorts of weird and wacky societal alternatives, some of which ended really badly and some people fell prey to even the most obvious of conmen, if those conmen were promising something new and different and better.

But what do I know, I was born in '89.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Nameless Pete posted:

Oof

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)
ITT I learned my brain was not appropriately distinguishing "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang" and "Chicka Chicka Boom Boom"

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
Is it just me or is this a tad..blatant?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Only because you're used to 4 straight decades of companies monetizing and downright celebrating Space Nazi iconography.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psX0znMmAAc

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
I don’t think fusion works like that

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

One day we will have some animated or live-action versions of the scenes from Battle Angel Alita where she just goes full loving berserker on Space Nazis

And it will unequivocally be seen as the way all Nazis should be dealt with

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Nameless Pete posted:

elanor roosevelt is also a mashup of an enormous butch lesbian and a pervert gym teacher

the show has more than its share of early aughts edginess

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Since apparently Clone High is going to get a revival on HBO Max and given how the original show ended (all the characters get cryogenically frozen), I wonder if they will go the 21 Jump Street movie route and make a lot of jokes about the character's now problematic views.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

AceOfFlames posted:

Since apparently Clone High is going to get a revival on HBO Max and given how the original show ended (all the characters get cryogenically frozen), I wonder if they will go the 21 Jump Street movie route and make a lot of jokes about the character's now problematic views.

Given the creative teams they have in common, I can buy into that.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Regarde Aduck posted:

Well you see, in order to show that they were truly the hard men who will make rational decisions in defiance of superstitious twaddle or the pratings of their lessers, the Imperial Navy built open air fusion reactors into which they can shovel the latest genocide recipients.

That will show those drat Jedi. Excuse me, I am being handed a small spacecard -- well, nevertheless.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Clone High ended on a cliffhanger so I'm bummed it's a reboot.

Nckdictator posted:

Is it just me or is this a tad..blatant?

Reminds me of Terminator Salvation where they make the Holocaust parallels way too obvious. In the original movie Reese was the equivalent of a sonderkommando before John Connor liberated his camp but Salvation laid it on thick when the people are captured and being transported to a facility.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

Clone High ended on a cliffhanger so I'm bummed it's a reboot.

It’s been confirmed? Booooo. Missed opportunity.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Regarde Aduck posted:

ColdCoal fusion.

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”
I watched Bridget Jones's Diary (2001) for the first time the other day and aside from Renée Zellweger's character being categorized as overweight at 5'4 and 140lbs (???) there was also this running joke about a character's ex-wife being Japanese and "a cruel race" :psyduck: I mean to be fair to point one I guess the character herself was supposed to be lampooning women's magazines of the time but I'm having trouble contextualizing the Japanese thing beyond casual racism

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
Pearl Harbor was still fresh in everyone's memory at the time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

AceOfFlames posted:

It’s been confirmed? Booooo. Missed opportunity.

May not have been confirmed and could just be speculation but it's how it was characterized in the articles I'd read about it coming back. Be great if it wasn't true.