Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Halloween Jack posted:

I have the Subspecies series but I haven't seen it yet. I figured it was more in the Witchcraft vein.

It's probably Full Moon's most consistent franchise. They all bleed together, but when I was watching through them, I enjoyed each one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Basebf555 posted:

For instance, I had basically the same experience as a kid with Subspecies, and we all know that as an adult it's hard to take Subspecies seriously but that poo poo gave 8 year old me nightmares.

I saw the Subspecies films for the first time when I was about 30 and really liked them. They're kinda schlocky but compared to most of the stuff Full Moon put out they're practically masterpieces.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

:hmmorks:

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Oh yea I love Subspecies still to this day, but like you said they're more about schlocky fun. As a kid though Radu terrified me, and so did that castle Full Moon loved to shoot everything in. Like, if you'd asked me what movie was scarier, Halloween or Subspecies I'd have said Subspecies.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

Oh yea I love Subspecies still to this day, but like you said they're more about schlocky fun. As a kid though Radu terrified me, and so did that castle Full Moon loved to shoot everything in. Like, if you'd asked me what movie was scarier, Halloween or Subspecies I'd have said Subspecies.

Subspecies box art terrified me as a kid at Hollywood Video. Pretty sure it was this one:

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
The first 3 Subspecies are really good vampire movies, but what I like the most out of them is that they all end and begin at the same point so its like one continuous long story.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Hollismason posted:

The first 3 Subspecies are really good vampire movies, but what I like the most out of them is that they all end and begin at the same point so its like one continuous long story.

Yeah, it's legit impressive for a Full Moon franchise. And they get consistently better!

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Halloween Jack posted:

Of course, if a giant rat were real, it couldn't exist in Earth's atmosphere without collapsing under its own weight. It's still controversial, but some scientists believe that prehistoric megafauna were able to evolve because of much higher oxygen levels. In that case, if you encounter a giant rat, it sucks that you're going to get eaten by a giant rat but you won't care because you're high as gently caress.

I'm no rat biologists but surely that would only start taking affect once you have a rat larger than currently existing huge animals like elephants which would be a pretty big rat. Even just a rat the size of a golden retriever, something probably more feasible than an elephant sized rat, would be absolutely gargantuan by rat standards.

Semi related:
The Blue Whale is not only the largest animal in existence (as far as we know) but the largest animal to ever exist.

But of course sea creatures admittedly play by different rules than landlubbers.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Tigers are just really big house cats

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Kvlt! posted:

i still have to see Phantasm

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

The one thing that I can really remember freaking me out as a kid was The Brave Little Toaster and I'm glad that it's still as hosed up now as it was when I was 8.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Phantasm is a movie I admire more than enjoy. The sequels being dire doesn’t help.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I always confuse Phantasm and Wishmaster with each other

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Is there a thread for tracking down obscure videos that weirded you out as a kid? Like, it took me a long time to remember this crazy show my kindergarten teacher showed us.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYoX3fdSyc0

Thanks to this ad, I've never smoked a cigarette. I've smoked a lot of marijuana to try to forget it, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUolSGfXbN0

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Iron Crowned posted:

I always confuse Phantasm and Wishmaster with each other

How? I mean I could understand some other similar film but they're nothing alike at all.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I confused Warlock and Prophecy. I did not like Warlock.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Halloween Jack posted:

Is there a thread for tracking down obscure videos that weirded you out as a kid? Like, it took me a long time to remember this crazy show my kindergarten teacher showed us.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYoX3fdSyc0

Thanks to this ad, I've never smoked a cigarette. I've smoked a lot of marijuana to try to forget it, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUolSGfXbN0

You could post stuff like that in the Short Film thread that no one ever uses. Obscure Media is kind of appropriate for it.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

FreudianSlippers posted:

I'm no rat biologists but surely that would only start taking affect once you have a rat larger than currently existing huge animals like elephants which would be a pretty big rat. Even just a rat the size of a golden retriever, something probably more feasible than an elephant sized rat, would be absolutely gargantuan by rat standards.

Semi related:
The Blue Whale is not only the largest animal in existence (as far as we know) but the largest animal to ever exist.

But of course sea creatures admittedly play by different rules than landlubbers.

Ok, so, we do have rats (well, rodents) right now that are the size of a golden retriever. Capybaras are chill as gently caress and seem to be able to be friends with a wide variety of other animals, including some of the predators that eat them.

Oxygen content in the atmosphere may have contributed to prehistoric gigantism - both the Mesozoic, with its dinosaurs, and the Carboniferous period with its enormous insects, featured high oxygen content - but it's not the only driver. Cold climate also selects for larger animals, as does a lack of predation, and the post-Cretaceous fossil record is littered with mammals that, while never as big as the biggest dinosaurs, were still pretty huge.

The largest known terrestrial mammal, Paraceratherium, was the size of a small sauropod (ie the brontosaurus-style dinosaurs). Oxygen content when it was alive was closer to what it is now.

The largest rodent we know about was the size of a bull.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
I'd fight one normal sized rat every day for 1000 days,

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I recently killed a raccoon with a spear, so I'm confident I could handle a big rat.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Halloween Jack posted:

I recently killed a raccoon with a spear, so I'm confident I could handle a big rat.

You did whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat now?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
You kill my chickens, I kill you.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Halloween Jack posted:

You kill my chickens, I kill you.

Did you eat it and begin to crave human flesh?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Also, eXistenZ is starting on Comet right now, I wonder how the TV edit will fair

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Iron Crowned posted:

Did you eat it and begin to crave human flesh?
Begin?

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Iron Crowned posted:

Also, eXistenZ is starting on Comet right now, I wonder how the TV edit will fair

I'm not sure what they'd even edit out in that film, it's hardly explicit. Maybe the chef's death?

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

Phantasm 2 is fun as heck and has a real NoES3 feel to it for me.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Debbie Does Dagon posted:

I'm not sure what they'd even edit out in that film, it's hardly explicit. Maybe the chef's death?

Yeah, I can't remember, it's been at least a decade since last time I watched it. There's been a few obvious removals of the word "gently caress"

EDIT:
Nope, the waiter's death didn't appear edited

Iron Crowned fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Mar 4, 2021

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

"gently caress" is too disturbing, but graphic murder is cool? It reminds me of when I'd get horror magazines and they'd blur out nipples, but keep images of people being disembowled.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

"gently caress" is too disturbing, but graphic murder is cool? It reminds me of when I'd get horror magazines and they'd blur out nipples, but keep images of people being disembowled.

Broadcast television in the USA

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

God bless America

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Honestly it was truly amazing to me that when I went to Poland, you could basically see nipples on everything there, and no one cared. Hell, I remember their version of a magazine like Newsweek had just a set of breasts with a computer mouse between them.

Here in the good Ol' US of A, they regularly put a piece of plastic in front of Cosmopolitan Magazine because sexy women are too racy.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

there was a documentary where a transgender woman was getting breast implant surgery and it was uncensored literally until they put the implants in and the moment after they started blurring out the nipples. If that doesn't tell you how stupid TV censorship is idk what will

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Kvlt! posted:

there was a documentary where a transgender woman was getting breast implant surgery and it was uncensored literally until they put the implants in and the moment after they started blurring out the nipples. If that doesn't tell you how stupid TV censorship is idk what will

*watching*
*watching*
*watching*
"Oh. Now I'm horny."

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Breasts are the devil!

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
One time I saw a tit and then my eyes went to hell and I no longer feel the light of God in me

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

NUMBER 1 FULCI FAN posted:

One time I saw a tit and then my eyes went to hell and I no longer feel the light of God in me

That new AV is a thing of beauty :allears: petition to change your name to #1 Juicy Boi

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

NUMBER 1 FULCI FAN posted:

What about butts?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Hollismason posted:

What about butts?

You mean satans sandwhiches? They sandwhich the anus (which is where the devil enters ur body thru anall sex)

Kvlt! fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Mar 4, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Kvlt! posted:

You mean satans sandwhiches? They sandwhich the anus (which is where the devil enters ur body thru anall sex)

Please source your quotes