Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Verse and Barik.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Verse and Barik for the same reason honestly.

Plus it's a bit of suffering option in that you went from all the mages to none of the mages.

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

dreams of an unchanging future,
a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib

Victis posted:

Verse and Barik

Negative_Earth
Apr 18, 2002

BeiiN AlL ii CaN B
Sirin since we've not seen much of them

And whoever has a personal quest/relation to the group in the area.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Beastpeople having their own version of gently caress, Mary, Kill is on brand

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Bolverk is a beast tribe's second in command. The word itself is an alias used by Odin to trick people. I am ninety-nine percent sure it was chosen because of "cool word", as the pop up references that the Bolverk's role is to keep people in line on behalf of the leader, while Odin's role was to lie to giants and steal their poo poo.

Bolverk is also the etymological root and Scandinavian word for bulwark (and also the root for the French word boulevard, possibly my favorite etymological fun fact). Which I guess vaguely scans as a term for someone who protects the leader, at least moreso than Odin's bad boy persona, "Ill Deeds." It's a weird choice either way, I don't recall anything else Norse-inspired in the game, beast tribes or otherwise.

E: Bring Sirin and Verse.

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Feb 22, 2021

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Verse and Barik.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Vote closed! We're going with Verse and Barik!

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Cleopatra Jones and the Town Full of Racists

Last time on Tyranny, we chatted with our Beastwoman companion Kills-in-Shadow, who asked us to rescue her friend Left-Claw from Halfgate. We promised to do what we could. Today we're about to see the consequences of that decision.

Anyway, goons decided that we should go from our extremely powerful all mage party to Cleopatra and the...less magically talented party members. I will just say this: I am grateful to the thread for giving me the overpowered party for the dogshit section of the game.

Unfortunately because Lantry is leaving the party, this means we need to delete all of Cleo's spells to avoid the phantom spell glitch.

Now we can tell Killsy it's time to hunt and she'll come along with us, along with Verse and Barik.

So normally I've been trying to take a conciliatory tone with some of the factions in the game.

Oh, gently caress no. Anyway, this is one faction we're about to meet that I'm about to piss off, and you'll see why because they're all worthless assholes who have nothing to offer. gently caress em.

The game immediately railroads us into conflict with the Scarlet Chorus.

Granted, the Chorus themselves have every right to be pissed at us, even though plausibly we could make the argument to Nerat that he benefited from our using and discarding the Disfavored. Whatever! These guys are all assholes anyway.

: I've only just arrived, and already you test my patience.

: Well, poo poo, I think I've gone and upset the mewling canker-wit. No don't hurt me, Fatebinder! I'm trembling! Can you believe this one, strutting about like this town isn't already ours?

: [Conquest] You would attack the Fatebinder who reduced the Vellum Citadel to ashes? How very brave.

: The soldier pales and grips for the hilt of her blade, but hesitates to draw it.

: A joke's a joke, eh? We were just having a bit of a row. No need to be so eager to die.

TheGreatEvilKing summary posted:

: Hey, everyone! It's a bitch! CLEOPATRA JONES IS A LITTLE BI-

: I'm sorry, did I hear "please kill me with fire raining from the sky, like you did at the Vellum Citadel?"

: No, Fatebinder, not the belt! Run away! Run away!

So, funny story about Halfgate - if you come here during Conquest and make the right choices, it's called "Plainsgate" because Cairn didn't slaughter half the town.

: Have anything noteworthy in stock?

: This place sure has been wrecked.

: And by a Fatebinder like you no less. No offense to you, of course, your good Justice. But if I ever get my sights on who did this, I'll give him a ripe piece of my mind. This city lost everything to the Edict. Her homes, her people - even her name. You can't imagine what it was like to watch her quake and burn.

You're a goddamn idiot. The Scarlet Chorus works for a dude called "the Archon of Secrets" known for scheming and enslaving people. What exactly do you think you're going to get out of this?

: I hear the folks of Halfgate feel the Disfavored are causing problems.

: Halfgate's townsfolk sympathize with the Scarlet Chorus, is that so?

We'll get back to this in a minute, but let's just say these assholes never did any farming in their lives.

: Careful, Fatebinder, it's slippery around here. I got nothing to sell despite being a merchant, nope.

: Geez, this place was wrecked. Did an Edict go off or something?

: Too soon! If I catch the Fatebinder who did this I'm going to give them a piece of my mind! Anyway, those Disfavored jackasses are protecting Cairn while the Chorus wants to finally kill him, so we're all Chorus stans. Fans? Except not really. We're kinda iffy on the whole thing.

Whatever. Into the town!

This ends about how you'd expect.

We rain down fire upon these dumb idiots.

This is poor Left-Claw, and we can't do anything for him until the Chorus assholes are dead.

We break into this random house to learn the first level of Bounding Bolts. We already got the turbocharged version from Trash Mob Dungeon, but this one is low enough we can combine it into our existing hypercharged spells once Cleopatra reads enough books.

This is just a weird encounter.

: If I'm going to order your death, I'll need to hear what crimes you've committed to warrant it.

We have a fair amount of options here.

I take option 2, because that is a slow and painful death and I'm not sure it's freeing anyone from any torment. He's going from being chained to a wall in some guy's house to being slowly crushed by a big rock. I also have no idea if he's actually telling the truth or if he's nuts enough to make up some crazy crap instead of just asking Cleo to free him. Is he feeling guilty? Probably not from that smile. He is clearly being tortured on a regular basis, so who knows?

: For the crime of willfully breaking Kyros' Peace, I hereby sentence you to be crushed by the weight of a rock until dead. The punishment shall be carried out no later than a span from now.

Nothing about this encounter makes sense. Apparently you can talk him into giving us our last core Sigil, the Sigil of Stone, but we're about to get that in a few updates anyway.

: I would have prolonged it myself. Each of those villagers had a life to live. The rest of his miserable existence should be spent paying for their deaths.

Verse, he's about to be slowly crushed to death by a big rock. I think you'll get your wish.

Then he just...disappears.

: Help! Fatebinder, I am being tortured and it hurts, so you must kill me!

: What crime have you committed, that I should execute you?

: I, uh, murdered an entire village. It ruled!

: For breaking Kyros' peace I sentence you to be tortured to death.

: For some reason, we approve!

: You should have tortured him harder - think of all the wasted lives!

: I will disappear now. My home planet needs me.

I'm really not sure what to make of Scovik here. Is he just saying what he is because he's being driven mad by pain? Does he feel guilty? If a mage is sentenced to death, then disappears into thin air and is never seen again, do we care? It's more interesting to see Verse's facade crack - by showing empathy with the unfortunate villagers - than this crime committed against people we've never met or heard of. If this mage is so powerful that he could destroy an entire village with one blast of his magic, why have we never heard of them? How did these random people manage to keep him in chains if he could do that? Even Sirin never demonstrated that kind of power, and she's an Archon. We'll never know if he's telling the truth or not, and the game doesn't give us the opportunity to investigate. Whose house is this? Clearly it's not Scovik's, there's a bed right there. Who is holding him captive? The Chorus?

It doesn't make sense, but it doesn't matter either. I think this is trying to say something about the uncertainty of justice when you don't have all the facts, but we can't get the facts. On the surface it seems open and shut - Scovik killed a bunch of people to see if he was that powerful. He told us as much. It's just not clear at all if he's in his right mind to make these confessions.

Whatever! On with the game!

More Chorus members feel the might of Cleopatra Jones. It's fatal.

We have, in fact, slaughtered so many Chorus members we unlocked the Wrath ability, which protects us from certain common Chorus-infused status effects.

While breaking into people's houses hunting for Chorus members, we get this statement from one of the inhabitants. It's not wrong! We've been hammering over and over in this LP that Kyros' Peace is a complete and total lie. It's the big lie used to convince ideologues like Tunon to do horrible things for the supposed greater good. These people got caught up in a civil war which is literally sanctioned by Kyros. Just wait, it's going to get worse.

This woman is a complete idiot.

If you needed more confirmation that the motivation of the Kyrosians is entirely personal power, here you go.

: [Diplomat] How about a truce?

No point summarizing this one.

Now, you might think this would just be another standard Tyranny battle, but there's a twist!

One of these guys brought a silence ability to the battle, and they hit Cleo with it.

Things are looking a bit hairy here, as all our party members with revival skills got voted out of the active party. You all know what you did.

I start spamming artifact active abilities waiting for the silence to wear off.

Then it does, and Cleopatra resumes her standard overpowered slaughtering. I also forget to loot Misery's unique spear. Oh well, I can't remember what it does and we'll be back soon enough.

Verse and Barik immediately start bickering.

: If the Scarlet Chorus lack for provisions, they should stop expanding beyond their means. Short of that, you can eat each other for all I care.

Barik, that is the dumbest thing you've said yet today. There aren't any waterways around here, so Bronze Age armies are going to have to resupply off of the land. Unless Graven Ashe has some kind of magical food conjuring I don't know about, you also starve.

: I'd rather snap that lobster shell around you and skewer the fleshy bits underneath.

Enough of this. Let's go talk to Mark's agent so we can get on with this.

: What do you do in Halfgate?

: A little bit of everything, really. I'm decently handy with tools, and the buildings here are always in need of repairs.

: Why is there a Beastman being held here in Halfgate?

So, yeah! gently caress all these people! Eb told us the fields of Azure were worked by Beastmen slaves, and this guy is the equivalent of Jefferson Davis bawling in his boring book that mean ol' Abraham Lincoln took all his slaves.

: You assumed the Beastman's guilty? How do you know he was hunting a human?

I wonder what you did to deserve this?

: Humans kill humans. Is what humans do. Even now, Kyros' packs hunt each other - while also hunting humans called Tiersmen to extinction.

: What can you tell me about those who would defy Kyros in this realm?

It's a metaphor for the US and the Native Americans!

: Ever since Cairn fell and the Edict devastated the land, the Beastmen have started to reclaim the Stone Sea.

: If you find yourself in their presence, tread with caution. The Beastmen are territorial and resort to violence with little provocation.

Before anyone goes off on how Beastwomen should learn that words can never hurt them, "cutting words" is probably a euphemism for "blatantly racist poo poo".

: She curls her elongated, wickedly curved claws as she rumbles her warning.

: Do not blame Beastwoman for lacking patience. Do humans not also swat at buzzing-biting, swarming flies?

Kills-in-Shadow risked her life to liberate this idiot's town from the Scarlet Chorus. This idiot hid in his house like a coward. I really wish we had the option to point this out, because if it weren't for her this idiot would be conscripted right now.

: Bleden Mark sends his regards. I'm looking for the Azure Shield.

: Oh, Bleden Mark also wanted me to tell you, this is your chance to see your wife again.

Does he not get that Mark is also an Archon of the Court? Granted, we report directly to Tunon, but I would imagine if Mark needs a Fatebinder for something Tunon would approve.

: What use would the Beastmen have for an Azure relic?

: It's a matter of pride, Fatebinder. To them, the Stone Sea is theirs. And if a shiny shield of iron is found, well, that's theirs, too.

Even the narration is clumsily pointing out what an idiot this guy is.

: How should I got about acquiring the artifact from Hundred-Blood?

: Spilling her blood would be the most direct solution, of course. No easy task there. He taps his finger against his lips. It also might be possible to arrange for a trade, but who knows what a Beastman could possibly want.

You know game, you're not helping your metaphor of "Beastmen as Native Americans" by having them rip out and eat each other's livers. Yes, the Aztecs practiced cannibalism, but their imperial practices pissed off enough people that when Cortez landed a bunch of the locals joined his team to kick their asses. The real problem is that we don't see any kind of mitigating factors of Beastmen culture that would indicate that yes, this culture has something to offer other than being weird social darwinists who yammer on about being predators. It is entirely plausible to me that the reaction of the human cultures to Beastwomen talking about how tasty humans are is to go grab all the weapons and wage a war of extermination because they don't want to be eaten. The Stonestalkers are a weird case because they adopted the traditions of the Shadowhunters, who seem to value martial superiority and wars of extermination until the Disfavored one-upped them.

: So what's going on with your wife?

: I'm sorry. If there's anything I can do, I will.

It's not a lot of wrath, and it might even be as simple as telling Mark he held up his end of the bargain so could we release the unfortunate Elaine now? The guy obviously doesn't want to do this and he's been sabotaging us the whole way. Maybe we could just pay a dude some money for reliable information? No? Oh well.

: That's all I needed to know.

Now we gently caress off before we piss off everyone. Don't worry, we're going to be despised by the denizens of this town by the end of the update.

: Oh, it's that Fatebinder! What can I do for you?

: What do you do here?

: I'm a handyman! People need me to fix their houses because they keep breaking!

: So, why is there a Beastman being held in chains over there?

: Back in my day, the Beastmen were slaves and they knew their place! Then Cairn showed up and said "Hey, maybe you guys could do a slave revolt, I've got your back" and the next thing you know they were mad about all the beatings we gave them! How could they? So this Beastman got dragged into town by settlers and the Chorus, covered in blood. I guess they're hunting us now!

: Do you have any proof at all?

: Yes - I am very racist.

: You kill each other all the time. Kyros' armies are killing each other right now, and they're hunting you all to extinction.

: Can you tell me about any rebels here?

: The Beastmen are the rebels. This land used to belong to the Beastmen, but then the realm of Azure rose up and turned them all into slaves! It ruled! Now with the Edict and Cairn's earthquakes, the Beastmen are taking back their ancestral lands. You should be careful, because the Beastmen hate humans for some inexplicable reason that I'm sure has nothing to do with us working them to death.

: Are you loving serious? You guys attack us all the time! Do you just sit there and take it?

: Isn't my racism justified?

: So Bleden Mark said you knew about the Azure Shield?

: Go fuuuuuuck yoursel-

: He also said to tell you that this is your chance to see your wife again.

: Oh, that Bleden mark! That shield! The Stonestalkers have it.

: What are the Beastmen doing with a shield?

: I don't know, maybe they like shiny things. Did I mention that I am very racist?

: Are you serious? It's a trophy that shows their leader took it off a powerful foe.

: The joke's on you! I'm still racist!

: How would you recommend I get it?

: I dunno, murder her? You could trade for it, but lol, those wacky Beastmen, amirite?

: You could kill her, or just leave her alive or help protect the tribe. Those latter two are pretty good.

: So Bleden Mark has your wife, huh?

: Yes, rear end in a top hat! Just do what he wants so I can see her again!

: I'm sorry. If there's anything I can do to help, I will.

: Screw you, Cleo! If I let Elaine go, who will read me a bedtime story??? Did you even think about that? Who will make those tasty chocolate chip cookies I love so much???

: Bye.

We didn't piss him off that much, fortunately.

Oh, what's this?

Oh this ends well.

: What's happened? What's all the excitement about?

So there's probably a bit more to this story than the surface level, but we'll get into that soon enough.

: And you're sure he's killed a human? Someone witnessed it or otherwise found proof?

: You soft on the Beastmen or something, Fatebinder? That why you got one following your heels? You'd rather side with them than us humans, is it?

: That killer was found with blood all over his face and paws - right at our gates! Who else you think he ate if it weren't one of us?!

: For justice to properly be served, he deserves either a Fatebinder's arbitration or a fair trial.

: By my authority as a Fatebinder of Tunon, I will act as adjudicator in this situation. Attempt to disrupt my duty to the Court, and you will suffer the consequences.

I won't lie, I was very tempted to pick the second option.

: With the lack of physical evidence, I will hear the people's testimony and judge the Beastman in accordance with Kyros' customs.

What an unbiased town. We can ask people about poor Left-Claw and they'll provide some commentary.

This pisses off Kills-in-Shadow because no one is giving Left-Claw a fair hearing. Granted, if we ask her what justifies killing humans she has this to say:

This person believes Left-Claw is guilty.

Taking the first option yields this:

There is, of course, no proof they actually died.

: This is how I would see the miserable creatures - humbled and instructed in their place. To offer them anything more invites anarchy.

Goddammit Barik! This is why people don't vote for you! Stop being racist!

: She has a point. Shut it, Barik.

: The Beastman snarls and snaps at you, drooling tiredly as he strains against his bonds. His eyes are wide with fear, but his limbs droop tiredly and his whole body trembles.

: Back away or lose both life and limb. Left-Claw still has killing-teeth. Can still maim, human!

: Hush and lie still. Do not snap-snarl at Alpha. Kills-in-Shadow has come to help Beastman.

: Calm down and tell us what's happened.

: You shouldn't have hunted so close to town, but I don't believe you killed the missing settlers.

: The Beastman nods and licks at a dark patch of dried blood on his upper lip. Then human will free Beastman?

: Before I make my decision, I'd like to hear more evidence on the matter.

: Proof? Proof of Beastman's mistake? Of Beastman's shame - of being caught like prey? Left-Claw cannot show boar's carcass to human. Rot-smelling Chorus pack burned carcass to earth-blood and ash. But human can see where trap gnawed into Left-Claw's ankle. Yes? Can see how Beastman was tricked.

Really, Merisa?

Earlier in this very update posted:

Merisa is a liar. Either it was a mixed group of settlers and Chorus or it was the Chorus alone. Unfortunately, we can't call her out on this and tell the settlers either the witnesses present themselves or face Kyros' justice, so we do this instead.

: How many villagers have disappeared within the last span? Were any bones found from their bodies?

: The Chorus? You mean the ones you watched me kill while you cowered from the shadows? No, I don't think they'll be offering testimony on the matter.

: All any of you have is hearsay - on either side.

This guy is unironically the smartest man in the settlement.

Now, I could put this up to a vote, but why?

: I've decided to free you and decree your innocence. Leave here, quickly. The settlers will kill you if you linger.

I'm honestly not sure if Tunon was mad because he hates Beastmen, or because under Kyrosian justice there's the presumption of guilt instead of innocence. The more I think about it, the more sense Tunon being racist makes, as we can point out that the crime Left-Claw is accused and we do catch Merisa lying her rear end off even if the player is arbitrarily not allowed to comment on it. It turns out that if you sentence poor Left-Claw here, you actually GAIN favor with Tunon despite it being a blatant injustice.

: It's lynching time!

: Wait, what? Why?

: Well, we caught - with some minor help from the Chorus - this Beastman just outside town. He was covered in blood from hunting humans! Look at him! He's a murderous people eater!

: Do you have any proof of this? Any witnesses?

: Are you a Beastman lover? Are you a race traitor? He was found with blood all over his face and paws right at our gates! Obviously he ate a person, DUH! Kill him! For justice!

: If you want justice, I will have to give him a trial.

: Oh yea? Well, why don't you ask around town?

:heritage::godwin::heritage:: We are racists! gently caress Beastmen!!! We don't need no proof!

: gently caress these fuckers! Stonestalkers don't eat humans.

: Hey, Left-Claw, what's up?

: I enjoy watching this Beastman chained up and tortured, because I am also a big racist!

: Shut the gently caress up.

: Don't touch me or I'll rip your face off.

: Don't snap at the Fatebinder, I brought her here to help.

: Yay!

: So what happened?

: So I found a boar, and was trying to bring it home so the tribe could eat, but then I got caught by a trap near the city. I was going to chew my own leg off, but then the humans came and found me, snarling threats.

: Got any proof?

: Well, I'd show you the boar carcass, but the Chorus burned the boar. Look, here are the trap marks!

: KILL HIM ALREADY REEEEEEE??? Look, the Chorus dragged him in. They saw his guilt first hand!

: Hmm...she said it was the settlers with help from the Chorus...do I want to call her out on it and dignify this idiotic farce? Pretty sure lying to a Fatebinder is a crime.
gently caress it.
Did you actually find any bodies?

: Well, uh, everyone's disappearing! I don't even keep count anymore, we keep taking unsustainable population losses and keep on truckin, yep! Aren't I plausible?

: How do you expect me to interrogate the Chorus I slew on your behalf when they're all dead?

: Uh...play it cool...I'm not lying! I'm not lying!

: All I have to go on is hearsay. From both sides.

: Are you calling me a liar? Are you? Huh? Wanna f-

:freep:: No you stupid dumbass! This is the Fatebinder that blew up the Vellum Citadel with an Edict, do you want us to all get killed? Shut the hell up!!!!

: Fatebinder's supporting me, you idiots want some of this?

: What are you going to do with me?

: You're innocent. Get out of here, these racists will kill you if they catch you.

: That verdict loving sucked! I'm racist too!

Ya think?

So, there's a bit more going on here, and it all goes back to the Scarlet Chorus and their nebulous capture of the unfortunate Left-Claw. Merisa's story shifts from "we captured Left-Claw with the help of the Chorus" to "it was all the Chorus" which implies she's up to something (and the settlers aren't dead, the Stonestalkers captured them for trespassing). The Scarlet Chorus is known for rolling into towns and enslaving all the adults, but they seem to have been relatively well-behaved. Why?

Earlier in the game posted:

Take a good look at the Censor's forces. Notice anything special? There's a Stonestalker Beastman with them, right in front of the tent. The Scarlet Chorus have a ton of random Tiersmen with knives they can throw at problems, what they don't have are a lot of powerful werewolf warriors whose culture is tailor-made to be integrated into the Scarlet Chorus. This entire operation is a setup to recruit Left-Claw in the hopes he can lead them to the rest of the Stonestalker tribe, who can be integrated into the Chorus and sent against the Disfavored. This is the stick - by hauling poor Left-Claw out here and torturing him for days, the nice Scarlet Chorus people can come in and offer to recruit him on the grounds that it's better than the constant torture and they can protect him from the villagers. The Chorus further angers the villagers against the Beastmen so they can divert attention from their own unsavory activities and prevent a villager-Stonestalker alliance which might actually succeed in retaking the Stone Sea and it lets them step in to "protect" the villagers by enlisting them to help enslave the Beastmen, and now that we've helped you, can we use your town to quarter troops and supplies? This entire thing is a sham set up by the Chorus to reinforce prejudice and keep the Stone Sea divided because, again, when the Tiers are divided, Kyros wins. We've even seen the Chorus step in and try to be "reasonable" before. Remember back in Graven Ashe's tent, when Nerat and Fifth Eye kept goading Ashe and Erenyos so they could turn to Cleopatra and point out how reasonable and non-traitorous they were?

Also, if you're on the Chorus path, they explicitly ask you to conscript Left-Claw anyway.

Fortunately for us, that's not enough Tunon Wrath to get him to throw us under the bus yet. Remember, the entire Fatebinding gig is a trap to get rid of intelligent and capable people who would be capable of challenging the system.

Next Time: Meet the Stonestalkers!

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Huh, is there another way to resolve this quest? I've definitely never let Left-Claw get lynched, and I managed to get exactly 0 points of Tunon Wrath on my first playthrough. On that playthrough I was also allied with the Chorus and had saved Plainsgate from calamity in conquest, so maybe I just happened to have conditions in my favor, but it seems weird to limit the non-garbage choice to a bunch of earlier conditions.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
I think that (quest and area spoilers)

the trick is that you first need to free the "lost" villagers, so that you have better evidence, or something like that

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Im fairly certain I let Left-Claw go and got no wrath with Tunon. It must not have been the release of Left-Claw that gets you wrath but something in the procedure?

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Xarn posted:

I think that (quest and area spoilers)

the trick is that you first need to free the "lost" villagers, so that you have better evidence, or something like that

This is correct. We'll talk about it in the next update.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I have finally caught up with this lp and I am definitely looking forward to seeing how this all goes.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
I'm getting whiplash from the difference in game quality now that we're back in the actual game and not DLC hell.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
I'm not fond of this setup because you're not allowed to free Left-Claw early. Kills is with you, she can identify him, no one is around when you're in the middle of killing the Chorus. Why aren't you just allowed to cut his ropes and set him loose? Hell, you can even gain Wrath with the town since maybe someone sees you do it through a window or something.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Cleopatra Jones and the Stonestalker Tribe

Last time on Tyranny, we got our first ever Tunon wrath by freeing the unfortunate Left-Claw from a bunch of racist assholes. Today we're going to visit the Stonestalker tribe and see if we can't get the shield or something. We helped them out, right?

This is the gorge where the Stonestalkers live.

These little purple crystals are everywhere.

There are also a pile of Scarlet Chorus trash mobs. We treat them with the respect they deserve.

I'm not sure if we actually are allowed to just trot on by.

: Run. Run while you still have legs to carry you.

It's actually nice for people to realize that yes, Cleopatra is probably the most dangerous thing they are going to encounter short of an Archon. Then I realize we have an Archon working for us, and we have to revise the threat assessment upwards.

: Scared prey is best-tasting prey. Is most fun to hunt. Yep-yep. Tremble and whimper more, human! Will not save pathetic life. But will please Beastwoman.

:hist101: Why'd you kill all those Choirmen?

: Run if you want to live.

:hist101:: Oh gently caress! Oh poo poo! Help! This is madness!

: Madness? THIS IS DELICIOUS!

They go down about as easily as you'd expect.

We find this along the way. I will probably never actually craft it, but it's there!

Be sure to grab this so you can get into the next Spire and continue your naked power grab!

More Chorus members show up to get beaten down.

: I need to speak with the leader of your tribe.

She doesn't get a name, I'm not summarizing this.

: Hm. Human smells like will of Alpha, like snarling over fresh kill. Unusual, but still unwelcome. Why has strange, strong-stinking human crept into tribe's den?

: The surly mountain of a Beast snaps her focus to Kills-in-Shadow.

: Kith slinks like shadow behind human who harasses Stonestalker tribe. Why, Shadow? Does Beastwoman savor human's putrid smell?

This is probably true. We've hinted at this in the thread, but if you are here on behalf of the Disfavored, you don't get this scene. Instead you are given the option to betray your alliance or massacre the unfortunate Stonestalkers. It's one of the indicators that Ashe is just as evil as Nerat despite his honorable facade.

: I'm looking for the Azure Shield, and was told you know where it is.

Now, you might be tempted to ask "what does the Beastwoman need with the Shield? Kills-in-Shadow said they don't trade artifacts!" and then go make a long CinemaSins video or something. This is because Hundred-Blood isn't an idiot. First, the shield is proof of her legitimacy as she took it in combat from some slavemaster or something. Second, she has no idea who we are or what we want. Yes, we freed Left-Claw, but we also brought a potential leadership challenger who is saying that we're extremely dangerous. By trading us something useful for the Shield, she can cement her legitimacy (it's her shield to dispose of, and everyone will remember it via what Cleopatra did) and gauge what she's dealing with.

: Disfavored predators - hunters and enslavers of whole Beastwomen tribes - have slunk and burrowed into rocks at Jagged Maw. In short seasons, will be scratching at tribe's den. Will be threat to cubs and elders.

We're already on kill on sight with the Disfavored anyway and Kyros' Peace has effectively collapsed under the civil war.

: Very well. I'll slay those soldiers for you.

It's a good trade for both sides. Hundred-Blood eliminates a dangerous threat without anyone knowing the Stonestalkers' location or that they were even involved. We don't care about Ashe retaliating because we're already one of his most hated people and that's just more Disfavored troops we feed into the meatgrinder known as "Cleo's high Lore stat."

: Good, human. Kill Disfavored for tribe. Then can slink to Spire-shine in Gulfglow and beg Red-Fang for Shield.

: Who approaches Hundred-Blood, First of Her Name, Queen of the Andals and the First Men, Protector of the Seven Kingdoms?

: Oh, it's just a human who smells like rear end. Why are you here? And why are you with her, Kills-in-Shadow? Do you like the smell of rear end?

: I don't l-like her or anything! But she's really strong! I bet she could kick your rear end!

: Try anything and I'll eviscerate you. Now bray for me!

: I'm looking for the Azure Shield, and you seem to know where it is.

: For free? Why the hell would I do that?

: How about a trade?

: Go wipe the Disfavored out at Jagged Maw shrine. They're crazy genocidal assholes and I don't want to deal with them.

: Sounds good.

: YISS WE GET TO KILL DISFAVORED

: When you're done, go to Gulfglow and hit up Red-Fang for the Shield.

Remember the missing settlers the idiots in Halfgate thought Left-Claw had eaten? Well, they're all here, and the aptly named Stone-Warden is holding them prisoner.

It's really not hard to see why the Beastmen are so territorial when their history involves being slaves, escaping after Kyros' edict fried their masters, and then being constantly hunted by racists.

: These people you've chained, what crimes have they committed?

: Humans trespassed in tribe's territory, encroached on sacred lands. Had no right, yet thought to steal from Beastwomen.

: Hundred-Blood says to keep humans. Prima will decide what to do with humans - whether to kill or release.

The irony is that if the villagers had been correct in their stereotyping all these people would have been eaten, but apparently Hundred-Blood is considering releasing these guys. The supposedly civilized villagers jump to conclusions faster than a speeding bullet, but Hundred-Blood is trying to figure out a decent way to deal with these people despite having every right to kill them.

The second option is callous, but as was pointed out last update, these people have not sworn allegiance and thus are fair game under Kyros' Peace.

: I want you to free the humans you've taken captive.

: I saved Left-Claw from Halfgate, so the Stonestalkers owe me. Now free those settlers.

The Stonestalkers are probably the most reasonable faction in the game. They're not altruistic by any stretch of the imagination, but you don't get into pissing matches where Graven Ashe demands the right to feed rare and valuable elite troops into enemy artillery fire.

: [Nod silently.]

: What are you doing here? Do I need to smack a bitch?

: What'd all these people in chains do?

: They trespassed on our sacred lands and stole our poo poo. Hundred-Blood is still trying to figure out if we should kill them or release them. Why, are you trespassing too?

: Could you let them go?

: Why in the name of Beast Jesus would I do that?

: I freed Left-Claw. You guys owe me.

: That's fair. These idiots are free to go, but we're going to tear apart the next trespassers we find - no capturing!

Now we can talk to the settlers.

Here we see the effects of racism on the human mind, specifically, that it makes you stupid. We know from Kills-in-Shadow that the Stonestalkers don't eat people and Left-Claw confirmed this. I will freely admit to hating the townsfolk in this area, so I may be biased, but if the Beasts were going to kill and eat them, you'd think they'd be eaten already. We haven't seen a single animal in this area except for a few dogs in Halfgate. Left-Claw says there are boars, and the Beasts look fairly well fed, but this is the Bronze Age and figuring out where your next meal is coming from is a big concern. If the Beasts wanted to eat them it would be easier to kill them on the plains and not risk them doing something in camp.

: The Stonestalkers have agreed to free you in payment of a debt owed to me.

We also get a prompt to return to Grayson in Halfgate for a reward. Sweet.

:heritage:: Please, you have to save us from these cannibal beasts who kidnapped me for absolutely no reason!

: They owed me a favor, so you guys can go.

:heritage:: Yay!

Now, as discussed in the thread, if you free the settlers here you can release Left-Claw without pissing off Tunon due to the incontrovertible evidence that the Clawster didn't murder them. The problem is convincing Stone-Warden without doing that. If you're a Hunter you can use that option, otherwise you can join the tribe and convince them that way. Oh well!

: How did the Stonestalker tribe come to live in Azure?

: Human's mewlings make no sense. Come to live? Have always lived. Stone-lands have belonged to Beastwomen from ancient seasons, even when Beastwomen were blunt-clawed, no-fanged, and hairless like humans.

Wait, what?

: So if I challenge and defeat Hundred-Blood, I can take control of the tribe?

: How many is 'many-seasons'? How old is Hundred-Blood?

Oh boy.

: I'd like to ask you about something else.

: She huffs and hobs her massive head.

: What's with the whelps?

: Are Black-Maw's, the Beastwoman growls, her dark tone a mixture of both warning and pride. Are strong, good whelps. Smart cubs. Have grown big but are only two seasons old.

Yes, if you come here with the Disfavored you have to kill them all.

: You mentioned Elder Teeth. What're those?

: Why do the Stonestalkers care about these 'Elder Teeth'?

Now we leave. I don't want to know about the Brood-Hole.

: What do you want?

: How did the tribe wind up in Azure?

: We've always lived here, before Beastmen maybe mutated from humans? What a stupid question. Anyway, Hundred-Blood leads us after she killed and ate the last Prima.

: So if I beat Hundred-Blood, I could take control of the tribe?

: She'd eat you alive. Do it! I could use a laugh.

: How old is she, anyway?

: Really old! I don't count, math is for NERDS!

: What's with the whelps?

: They're mine. Look how big they are! Also if you touch them I will eviscerate you.

While I fully intend to honor our bargain with the Stonestalkers as there's a very good incidental reward for doing so, we're going to run for the Aurora Spire to grab a sigil that will make future fights hilariously easy.

We run into this rear end in a top hat. We've actually pissed off the Stone Sea villagers a ton by...asking that guy about his kidnapped wife and breaking up the racist mob. We do have a lot of favor with them, but they have literally nothing to offer and are racist assholes.

: I've no intention of dragging you anywhere. Calm down and tell me what's happened.

: You're safe for now. So tell me what's happened.

: After the Sea split, I thought I'd make a living by mapping the land. I know the area well enough now, so the Earthshakers hired me to guide them. They were looking for some kind of precious stone.

: But the Stonestalkers seem to have other plans. When we got further in, they were already there, guarding the shards. One of the Beasts nipped at an Earthshaker, so I fled. I've done my job, Fatebinder. Getting ripped to shreds isn't part of it.

Remember way back in Act 1 when Graven Ashe recalled the entire Earthshaker order to deal with the Edict of Execution and crush the rebellion, and they decided that they were going to hang out in the Treason Fort and screw us all over? Here they are! Instead of helping us, they left us to die so they could steal from the Stonestalkers. There are reasons for what they did but they're the classic arrogant colonialists assuming they can come in and steal poo poo.

: Well, y-you don't need me with a Fatebinder here! You to want to go at it with the Beastmen, it's your funeral. I'm out of here!

: Nooo! You can't make me watch more Zack Snyder movies!

: Nobody's watching anything. What's going on?

: Whew! Well, I make my money mapping the area, so the Earthshakers hired me as a guide to look for rare rocks, but then we got into a fight with the Stonestalker tribe so it's time for me to go!

: Have you been sent as reinforcements? Let me give you the lowdown.

: I'm running now! Bye!

So we could talk to Basilon, but I'm not going to do that.

The Earthshakers and Stonestalkers are having a standoff, where the Earthshakers would like to take the Azurelith rocks to do magic stuff and the Stonestalkers, who actually live here, want them for their magic.

Everyone is distracted enough by this nonsense that we can roam around and loot unique named weapons.

We are nominally here to speak to Red-fang, but I actually want that Spire before we attack Jagged Maw.

: I mean your tribe no harm, nor have I come for any teeth. I seek only to speak with Red-Fang.

We...kinda stole some teeth earlier.

: I'm trying to resolve your quarrel with the Earthshakers - before you tear each other's throats out.

In we go!

: What in Cairn's name is going on out there?

: Human earth-mystics trespass in tribe-lands. Lured tribe with kind words like meaty chunks of wild boar. Said were like tribe, could hear earth-blood flowing under rocks. Humans claimed to hunt rocks called Azurelith, but only steal Elder-Teeth of ancestors.

: Now Stonestalkers have gathered to skin thieves alive.

Good thing they never search us.

For some reason we have to respond instead of just keeping our mouth shut, and we have to insult somebody. It's kind of annoying! Cleopatra is a diplomat!

: The Beastmen are more organized than you can see through that dented helmet.

They also have literal magic, which makes up for a lot. The last Beastmen mages we fought could summon thunderstorms. I don't think this ends well for the Disfavored.

drat it Barik, just shut up!

: The Azure Shield - where is it? Do not lie to me, for I know you have it.

: [Leave] I'll kill the Disfavored at Jagged Maw as proof of my loyalty to your tribe. Then you will give me the Shield.

We could just kill her here and steal it to bypass the quest, but that's rude. We're also critically short on actual allies.

: Which idiot is sneaking around in our Oldwalls cave?

: What's going on out there?

: Well, the human earth mages came and said they did earth magic too and could they have some rocks? Then they stole the sacred Elder Teeth of our ancestors! So we're here to skin them alive!

: Ha ha! You're gonna get owned, because you are stupid! I'm still a big racist!

: Shut the gently caress up.

: :qq:

: Do you know where the shield is? I know you have it.

: I do, but it's not your shield, is it?

: We'll continue this discussion after I kill all those Disfavored.

We get the second of two rubbings, and that's really all we need.

I don't think these puzzles have any symbolism.

We do get this, which makes your self-buffs stronger. It's really only useful for hybrid mage/warriors, which we have none of.

It took me far too long to solve this.

Our power base is unsettled because we have five separate factions fighting for control here - the Disfavored, the Earthshakers, the Scarlet Chorus, the villagers, and the Stonestalkers.

: This place isn't what you'd call stable. It's a wonder this Spire hasn't fallen down a chasm.

Verse, we don't need another Dan Brown protagonist to explain symbolism.

: Feels good. Tastes like blood slicked on tongue. Feels like kith and killing and claws furrowing into flesh. Such savage power. Feels like rutting and howling in shadow of rough stone.

Goddammit Barik! Even when we do something cool you have to poo poo it all up by being racist!

So the Library is normally the first Spire upgrade you should go for. It's not as good for us, because we didn't warn the Sages before burning the Library and thus we lost the Master Lore trainer. We can probably cheese this with the respec guy though.

This guy shows up when we build a library, and he explains that while we didn't hire him he's not leaving because there's a lot of books.

You absolutely want to hire this lady. I hire Phila as well because she teaches lore, but we're all about to be sad in a few minutes. Now, your Spire recruits require you to leave and re-enter the Spire, which can be done by teleporting in and out.

:sickos:

See that focused rain sigil? We can slap it on all our chaotic descent spells and make them much, much better. I spend far too much money on Eirena.

Sadly, we can't train Cleo's lore stat any higher. If we had the master trainer we could give her 58 more levels, but, alas, we do not.

Sirin is now pretty friendly towards us even though we subjected her to that awful DLC, so we can ask her about her education.

: [Sirin Loyalty 2] You have a way with words, Sirin. Were you instructed on how to speak with others?

: Of course! One of the only good things that came out of my time with Kyros was my education. My teachers insisted I be trained on the proper way to speak with the royal court.

: I was frequently mistaken for someone older, so I think I got away with a lot more than I could have otherwise. For all their failings, they made sure I was properly educated.

: Could you teach me some tricks?

: Certainly, Fatebinder! I don't remember how much of my training I'll remember, but I'm sure I could help you out.

: She leans close, and in the softest of caresses, her lips brush your ear.

This is one of three ways that I know of to get her sigil - you can ask her nicely like this, help out the Blood Chanters, or just find it lying around the Oldwalls later. Anyway, we have to do her quest, so back to Garus.

: [Show him Ancient Parchment.] I found this in the depths of the Oldwalls.

: Ah! Another incredible find, Fatebinder! The scribe gingerly takes the offered document.

: That's interesting, but can you tell me what it means?

: No one can simply decipher texts found in the Oldwalls. At best, a few learned scribes can interpret the writings left in those depths to uncover lost aspects of sigils. Even that requires time and effort.

: [Lore 54] Fascinating. Please continue.

: While there remains every possibility that this is some manner of ritual or mathematical proof... perhaps something even more mundane, such as a record of accounting or recipe... what the document most reminds me of is the notation utilized to record music.

: If anyone could shed light on this, I imagine it would be the Archon of Song. If my inkling is correct and it's some sort of music, her special gift might provide insight. Were I you, I would avail myself of her expertise.

On to Sirin!

Now, there are legitimate reasons to be a dick to Sirin if she's got high fear, namely that without her hat she's one of the most dangerous things on Terratus. Unfortunately, there is no quest to remove her hat even when she's loyal to you. Oh well.

: [Give her the parchment] He thinks this might be written music. What do you think?

: I think I'll be happy to give these a reading - no promises, of course!

: She pores over the pages with a critical eye - at times pausing to raise a hand to her lips and ponder. Finally, Sirin nodes with a sense of understanding and clears her throat to speak up.

: I think your researcher was right. This definitely describes music. No wonder it felt so familiar to me.

: It'll take a little while to fully understand. The relationships between tones are universal, but tempo and volume vary. And just because the notation LOOKS intuitive doesn't mean it is.

No, they are not. Mathematically, yes, but in Western notation the intervals between lines on the staff are not necessarily mathematically equal, and in non-Western music I believe there are intervals smaller than a half step. It's been years since I did any music theory, so take this with a grain of salt.

: Maybe a previous Archon of Stone wrote the parchment?

: Or some musty old dirt mystic - like an ancient Earthshaker.

That last option seems like a kick in the teeth to poor Sirin and I don't have the heart to pick it.

: I look forward to finding out what you uncover.

: Hmm, this is very hard to decipher...but it might be music? No idea how I know this, maybe pester Sirin.

: Hey Sirin, my nerd thinks it's music.

: That makes sense! No idea how it got here, but I'm gonna decipher it! Yay!

Now that we're done upgrading Cleo's evil powers, we can go do what the Stonestalkers want us to actually do.

There really aren't a lot of Disfavored at the Maw.

The new spells are not playing around! What the Focused Rain sigil does is make your Chaotic Descent spells cover a smaller area but summon more projectiles. This is a straight upgrade, as the projectiles hit randomly in the area and the area is still large enough to hit packs of guys but small enough that lightning bolts hit your enemies.

This is WITHOUT the max damage sigils we have lying around. I have no idea why you would play a warrior in this game.

We also find this strange rock formation. Might as well touch it, what could go wrong?

Absolutely nothing! This is our last core sigil, and as you might expect, it's extremely powerful.

It even works with our focused rain and chaotic descent sigils, and the spell even inflicts Bleeding because why the hell not?

This Disfavored dies to, among other things, acid rain.

This is Jaws of the Earth. It ruins fools.

Having massacred all the Disfavored we can go back to Red-Fang and get our shield.

Very rude, especially as we're living on top.

: I'm back. I've killed the Disfavored, now give me my Shield like Hundred-Blood said you would.

Look, we put those five guys in the ground. What more do you want?

: I've done enough for the Stonestalkers. Are you going to give me the Shield or not?

: [Growl right back.] Your tribe's Prima promised me that Shield. You will give it to me, now. Not later. Not after a favor.

See what I mean? Yes, Red-Fang tries to put you through more bullshit, but ultimately you can just point out that you held up your end of the deal. You do need Stonestalker favor 1 and to not have killed any of the Stonestalkers, but these really aren't difficult.

: I killed all the Disfavored, can I have the Shield now?

: You should go kill all the Earthshakers first.

: Come on! Hundred-Blood saiiiiid!

: No.

: Pleeeeeeease?

: Ok, fine. Jeez.

We throw the shield on Cleopatra, not just because it's an artifact, but also because we can add the cultural inheritance of Azure to our myth of Cleopatra Jones, Rightful Archon of the Unified Tiers.

Now that legacy is ours! We might need to clean it first.

This could have been avoided with better diplomacy - the Earthshakers could have asked some of the Stonestalker mystics to help with their ritual, and bring Elder Teeth, for instance - but centuries of human arrogance are taking their toll. Now, the Earthshakers do not have the same racial superiority complex the Disfavored do. There are Tiersmen Earthshakers, and if you're on the rebel path you can convince the Earthshakers to desert the Disfavored and join your growing personal army.

There are clear echoes of Western scientists coming in and stealing poo poo for museums and whatnot. It's not a great look, and it could have been avoided if the Earthshakers had been respectful - but they were never going to do this, because they don't believe in silly superstitions, they just believe that Kyros causes the harvest.

We can't go to the last Spire yet, so we will ask Hundred-Blood for directions.

Rude!

: There is a Spire deep in the mountains of the Stone Sea. Tell me - how do I reach it?

We take our leave. Now, we can go to the last Spire. First, let's talk to Killsy about Left-Claw.

: Alpha smells good. Makes Beastwoman want to hunt. Kill.

Sadly, despite Hundred-Blood being right there and mocking Killsy for liking the human scent, she does not interject. Oh well!

: Happy that I rescued Left-Claw?

: Yep-yep. Fatebinder is good Alpha to Kills-in-Shadow. Listens to Beastwoman's demands. Must like Beastwoman to fight for former pack-whelp.

: She chuffs and shakes her head.

: She pants and scratches the back of her mane, hunching forward, closer to you, her breath puffing hot against your neck. Her dark pink tongue lolls, dripping drool on your shoulder as she grins.

Excellent.

: Never mind.

: I rescued Left-Claw!

: Yay!

Next time: The second Spire in the Stone Sea, and a decision!

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

drat that was a big update.

I could be wrong but I think spire-sigils are always symmetrical which helps in solving them?

And yeah, as noted, Western music notation is not quite mathematically perfect. The Equal temperament scale of notes where each octave's notes are divided into equal steps won't always match the just intonation division of intervals.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

bewilderment posted:

I could be wrong but I think spire-sigils are always symmetrical which helps in solving them?
They are, yeah. That's why you can take care of them with incomplete rubbings if you need to.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Are Beastpeople supposed to be majority female? Or someone on the art staff really likes drawing beast-tits

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Are Beastpeople supposed to be majority female? Or someone on the art staff really likes drawing beast-tits

I assume they are just strongly matriarchal, so the beastwomen NPCs that are important enough to talk to tend to be female.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
God drat Barik you are just the loving worst.

I was even thinking during this update "Man I wonder if Barik is gonna be an rear end in a top hat" and literally 5 screenshots later he pipes up.

Also I like the idea of you showing up, asking for the shield, them saying no and you going "kay" and walking past them and ACTIVATING THEIR ANCESTRAL TOWER AND TELEPORTING TO THE TOP.

Massive flex.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

With regards to the Sigil of Focused Rain; what wasn't said is that it's actually beneficial to pair it up with the increased-area-of-effect sigil. With the attack zone of the Sigil of Chaotic Descent cut almost in half the increased area of effect of damage from the projectiles outpaces the increase in size of the strike zone and the spells reliably hit harder. My admittedly unscientific testing seemed to show that on the high end they actually outpaced dedicated single-target attack spells, though it might've just been near parity and I was biased from erasing entire parties of non-bosses at a blow.

Complications fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Mar 1, 2021

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

This is WITHOUT the max damage sigils we have lying around. I have no idea why you would play a warrior in this game.

This is the eternal question in RPGs isn't it?

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

sunken fleet posted:

This is the eternal question in RPGs isn't it?

JRPGs tend to manage it just fine. It's western RPGs that tend to keep falling into "fighter simple, mage complex" while JRPGs long ago learned "every character type should be interesting to play".

This tends to be because western RPGs keep trying to re-implement DnD. They do tend to learn from it given successive instalments - for example, playing a Warrior in Dragon Age Inquisition is a lot more fun than playing one in Origins, relative to a Mage, because they made sure Warriors, Rogues and Mages all were given an array of interesting abilities.

Unfortunately in the more conservative tabletop RPG circles, "every class should be complex and interesting" tends to be seen as "video gamey" instead of "a good game design idea in general, that video games managed to do first".

Final Fantasy 7 Remake which is also, technically, a real-time-with-pause game managed to go all the way into making Aerith, the mage-iest of the characters, relatively dull to play, while Tifa, the punchiest, is the most engaging and entertaining with complex combos that are weaved for different purposes - for example, 'Starshower' does good aoe damage but also increases the damage of her next move, while 'Focused Strike' doubles as a brief evade.

bewilderment fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Mar 1, 2021

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

bewilderment posted:

JRPGs tend to manage it just fine. It's western RPGs that tend to keep falling into "fighter simple, mage complex" while JRPGs long ago learned "every character type should be interesting to play".

This tends to be because western RPGs keep trying to re-implement DnD. They do tend to learn from it given successive instalments - for example, playing a Warrior in Dragon Age Inquisition is a lot more fun than playing one in Origins, relative to a Mage, because they made sure Warriors, Rogues and Mages all were given an array of interesting abilities.
I do enjoy grappling-hooking my way around fights in DAI as a rogue, but as a mage I can jump off cliffs and take no damage with a shield spell, so it's roughly equal.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Cleopatra Jones and the Attack on Treason Fort

Last time on Tyranny, we took the Aurora Spire and got the Azure Shield for ourselves, but also for Bleden Mark. Today we're going to have to make a major decision about the fate of an Archon!

We're getting ahead of ourselves.

It's been a long time since we discussed this, but back in Act 1 the Earthshakers refused to answer Ashe's call to come and deal with the Edict of Execution because they were off doing this.

When we arrive at Howling Rock, we're greeted by a cutscene of purple energy pouring from Cairn's corpse.

The other reason, which we've touched on briefly, is that the earthquakes hinder the human settlers and help the Stonestalkers stay relatively safe.

: He was our greatest ally before he turned his back on Kyros.

A side path leads to this unfortunate camp, which DOES have the Sigil of Bounding Bolts II.

This guy intercepts us when we want to enter the Treason Fort.

He's a jackass who won't let you through no matter what you say, and the Spire is, unfortunately for us, in Treason Fort. You have to take the fifth option to proceed with this quest - that is, threaten him with murder.

These guys are really full of themselves. Metaphorically speaking, they are cannibalizing their power source (Cairn, the Archon of Stone) to do all kinds of idiotic crap that's about to bite them in the rear end.

Anyway, that's the only dialog option that unlocks the option to proceed.

You can't peek through the hole if you don't threaten to murder the nameless guy!

I don't know either.

Conveniently, these morons are talking about exactly what we've needed this whole time!

: No. Not even a missive, and they've yet to return. He sighs languidly. I doubt they're doing anything but taking their time, considering who's leading them.

:smugwizard:: Aye, in his mind, I suppose there's nothing pressing about the ritual we're to commence.

: He'll be lucky if I don't wring his gangly neck upon their return with the lodestones. Master Radix only chose him because his staff is fitted with pure Azurelith. But the fool's as likely to lose it as anything. And what're we going to do if someone uses it to get into the compound?

:smugwizard:: Who? A Beast? Or a Chorus chanter? Don't be ridiculous.

: Gee, I sure hope nobody goes to Gulfglow and kills Basilon to steal his staff! Then they could walk right in here! Hear that, player?

It's a very clumsy way of padding the quest. Oh well!

We have a random encounter along the way.

We are of course going to take the lore option, because that gives Cleopatra more power for her crazy spells.

I'm sure someone in the thread is going to tell me I missed an awesome unique item by doing this, but I've kind of soured on these encounters after the sex berry one.

We got a buff out of it. Hooray!

This guy has the reward for freeing the captive settlers.

: You may not like it, but they're here to stay. You'll have to learn to live with them.

: Grayson snorts derisively. No, I will not be happy until we don't have to deal with that filth anymore. They have been nothing but trouble and conditions won't improve until we get rid of them.

I just want to point out that the Stonestalkers generally keep their word and kept the settlers alive, while the villagers tortured poor Left-Claw until they decided to hang him.

I have no idea what the hell Grayson is talking about here, but he's obviously a rabid racist.

: We are done here.

: Yay! The Fatebinder! Thank you for saving all our settlers! gently caress Beastmen, we gotta genocide em, amirite?

: They're literally a few miles down the road. You're going to have to learn to live with them.

: No! I don't want to!

: What are you going to do, bleed on them? You're not warriors, you can't fight us and win. Come then! Fight and die!

: HELP! She's cancelling me! HELLLLLP!

: You're fuckin nuts, bye!

: I'm not gonna give you a quest reward, you mean poopy head!

Why is everyone in this town morally bankrupt racist garbage?

: Rumble? She scratches her ribs and yawns. Stonestalkers don't rumble. Stonestalkers slaughter.

Barik. Barik. Shut the gently caress up! This is clearly supposed to be a reference to real-life social Darwinism theories, which usually fall apart when your opponents reach technological parity and stuff your complacent rear end into a dumpster.

Quite frankly, I don't really care what Basilon has to say. These jerks abandoned us all to die at Vendrien's Well and flouted Ashe's orders.

: I've heard you wield a staff fitted with pure Azurelith. How do I put this delicately... Hand it over or die.

The Earthshakers are quite literally in open rebellion at this point.

They also share the overconfidence common to the Disfavored as a whole.

: [Attack] You misunderstand. It was neither a suggestion nor a choice.

: Thanks for the save! We're, uh, having a rather jolly roughhousing session with the Beastmen, wot?

: Ha ha they're going to kill all you morons.

: That's funny! Beastmen are just too stupid to beat Disfavored troops! Superior training will always win out! Did I mention I am very racist?

: Shut the gently caress up Barik. We've got all kinds of tricks, and the only reason you idiots are still alive is because the Stonestalkers aren't hunting you. Yet.

: Give me your staff or die.

: Are you threatening me? FEEL THE WRATH OF THE GREAT CORNH-

: :commissar:

I have to say, these focused rain spells really improve Tyranny's combat.

The only real notable thing about this fight is that Basilon rushes down the stairs and draws things out a bit longer than this fight deserves.

We kill the little Disfavored warband with no trouble and take this from their corpse. Back to the Howling Rock!

Ka-ching! In we go!

Lore remains the god stat of this game.

Get money!

Alas, the vault is disrupted by another earthquake preventing us from looting it.

That's...actually a fairly decent haul! The armor is heavy armor and thus vendor trash. Remember, the only companion who uses heavy armor is Barik, and he can only use the armor he's fused into with his poo poo and piss. Oh well!

Now that we have Basilon's magic rock, we can raise the bridge to get into Treason Fort.

This guy flips out and runs backwards. You would think he'd rally his team to attack, but...

This little squad of Earthshakers proceeds to wait kindly for you to buff your party and run across the bridge.

It goes about as well as you'd expect for them.

More idiots in the fort jump up to get beat down. Now, the thing about the Focused Rain spells is that they have fairly long cooldowns, so without the two extra spell slots from Lantry Cleopatra actually does have a bit of downtime where all her spells are on cooldown.

The end result is a long loving slog where poor Killsy goes down until we can get our nukes off cooldown.

What's the ritual of Fallowing?

Let's go back a little bit. Why are we still doing this? The province surrendered, and...

: If the Scarlet Chorus lack for provisions, they should stop expanding beyond their means. Short of that, you can eat each other for all I care.

Oh. It's just Kyros' forces loving each other over again. The game provides countless examples of how Kyros' promises of peace and prosperity are a cynical lie used to maintain power. To get a leg up on the Scarlet Chorus, who Graven Ashe is fighting a technically illegal but Kyros-sanctioned civil war against, he's going to blight the land for generations to deny his enemy provisions. The Scarlet Chorus camp, Cacophony, is actually in the Stone Sea not too far away from Halfgate. If I remember correctly, the Disfavored path has you complete the ritual for this very reason. By this point you as the player should have realized that Kyros' laws are absolute bullshit.

: [Grab him by the throat.] So tell me. What'll happen?

See, this is the kind of evil that makes sense for the Fatebinder to do. You're asserting your power over this idiot, you need his information, and you don't have any more patience because you're at war with this faction and these idiots betrayed you.

: Really? This is how you want to play it?

Suddenly, now he wants to resist I guess.

: [Rattle him.]

Just a minute ago he was begging for mercy?

: [Rattle him harder.]

: Shatter the shiny crystal lodes, got it.

I guess he dies from vigorous shaking? Or by "rattle him" does it mean hit him a ton and beat him quickly? Usually I see it in regards to fear, so who knows.

:2bong:: No, have mercy! You can't ruin our ritual to destroy the land! Who knows what could happen?

: Really? I'm gonna rattle you! I don't even know what that means in this context!

:2bong:: Suddenly I have heroic resistance.

: Rattle ratttle!

:2bong:: Nooo! Don't smash our crystals! gently caress you! *dies*

We have a decision to make! Do we want to ruin the Earthshaker's earth-ruining ritual and kill Cairn, or do we just want to leave it alone?

I'm sorry, who are you?

Well, if that's really what you want...

: [Attack without warning.]

Oh, another one. We already killed one when we betrayed Erenyos and kicked her off the tower. Well then!

: You dare? I'm totally hardcore and an Iron Guard of Graven Ashe - stop laughing! Stop it! Stop it!

: :commissar:

Here's the thing about Radix Ironcore. He's an important character on the rebel and Disfavored routes. Here?

He's a miniboss, and a not very interesting one. See this spell? It's the focused rain stone spell, and none of these Earthshakers know it. These guys have spent their entire lives studying stone magic, and we're hilariously able to come in and clown on them because our advanced magical theory let us pick up their secrets really easily. For bonus points we learned it directly from their Archon.

The other amusing thing is that these guys are quite literally deriving their power from a known traitor.

There's no way this ends well for them especially as they abandoned a priority order from the Overlord to go gently caress around with Cairn the traitor Archon here.

The fight ends as all Tyranny fights do, but now we have a decision to make.

Decisions lie before us!

Do we disrupt the ritual and kill Cairn, or do we leave the ritual alone?

Choose wisely!

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Leaving Cairn alone has some appeal, because it fucks over both the Chorus and the insane racist assholes that populate the country while barely bothering the Beastfolk, but let's not forget why we're here; to nakedly grab power and establish ourselves as too dangerous to gently caress with. Killing an Archon, taking whatever loot falls out, and shutting down another edict is our brand. That it incidentally helps the Scarlet Chorus and Stone Sea Villagers is an unfortunate consequence we'll have to suffer.

Kill Cairn.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Kill Cairn, because honestly I see Cleo just being really pissed off at anyone remotely Disfavored.

Given that the Stone Sea villagers are part of the original game, I'm assuming there's a way to gently caress them over anyways even if you do so. I know you'd take that option if it's there.

Besides, if we're going to be an Archon of the unified Tiers, it'd help if a significant chunk of it isn't getting blighted.

OneWingedDevil
Aug 27, 2012
I see the journal directly mentions you can harvest a piece of Cairn to grow more powerful, and I'm assuming that means the stone.

We don't have a reason to like any of these people, and getting more power is on-brand for us. Kill Cairn

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Kill Cairn.

You don't leave a threat like that lying around.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Kill Cairn

The dude is so badass he took an edict to the fact and lived. Imagine the glory when we are the ones to finish him off :black101:

OOrochi
Jan 19, 2017

On my honor as the Dawnspear.
Definitely Kill Cairn.

What better way to establish power than to make food grow again?

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014
Kill Cairn.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
Kill Cairn.

Also do we find out why Cairn went rogue in this path? In the beginning he seemed like an insane maniac but now we find out he was rightfully giving the finger to Kyros and her forces, plus freeing slaves. I mean this is Tyranny so Cairn is obviously a piece of poo poo somehow, but it seems that there was some method to the madness.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Kill Cairn.

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib
What would be the benefit to our character by letting the ritual complete? Blighting the land doesn't seem very useful to us, unless I'm missing something?

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

sunken fleet posted:

What would be the benefit to our character by letting the ritual complete? Blighting the land doesn't seem very useful to us, unless I'm missing something?

It'll hinder the Chorus, as their main base is here.

Feeding all those mouths will be kinda difficult when nothing is able to grow there.

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!
Kill Cairn. He's no better than the rest, and deserves as much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

sunken fleet posted:

If you want the cooperation of the Disfavored and/or the Earthshakers, (on the Disfavored/Rebel paths), this gets you that. Similarly, on the Chorus path, you have to interrupt the ritual. We're on the Anarchist path, which leaves these kinds of choices entirely to our whim, since the way you get on that path is by telling your allies to gently caress off. There's no real reason to let the ritual complete as an anarchist, outside of wanting a faction you dislike to suffer.

Not sure if there's also a non-Earthshaker rebel option; maybe you can entice the Stonestalkers into your fold? They'd probably also prefer the ritual intact, because it fucks over all their local enemies.

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Mar 4, 2021