Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

ulmont posted:

Look up the term “urban penalty.” It seems reasonably well accepted. These links are covering the 19th century but refer to the concept as existing much earlier.

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1111/ehr.12964
https://www.cambridge.org/core/jour...8D2397FD32E9066

Thank you, that review pretty much corroborates what he was saying. I'd like to go around telling people about this but I always feel like when I preface something with "I heard in a podcast…" I might as well be saying "some guy told me this".

quote:

As a consequence of these various factors, urban populations almost everywhere experienced higher rates of communicable diseases than their rural hinterlands before the twentieth century. However, the extent of the gap varied considerably over time. For much of the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries, cities in Europe appear to have functioned as demographic sinks, reliant on immigration to balance very high death rates.4 However, by c. 1800 cities in Britain and parts of north‐western Europe were largely capable of sustaining and increasing their population sizes through natural growth.5 The rural–urban gap diminished rapidly in the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries, and in Britain urban life expectancies converged with rural ones in the 1930s and then overtook them, a phenomenon that is now global.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

The Lone Badger posted:

Is it time to plug A Legionary's Life again?

This owns, thanks.

Would love a mobile version.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Honestly, I think it is fair to say that Augustus doesn't exist in pop culture the way Julius Caesar does. The average rando on the street, if they can name someone, thinks Gaius Julius is the first emperor of Rome and might think he and Augustus are the same dude if they know there's an Augustus.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Honestly, I think it is fair to say that Augustus doesn't exist in pop culture the way Julius Caesar does. The average rando on the street, if they can name someone, thinks Gaius Julius is the first emperor of Rome and might think he and Augustus are the same dude if they know there's an Augustus.

I think it's maybe due to the differences in personality. Caesar was a larger than life character who fought and hosed his way through Europe while Augustus seems to have tried to appear as this humble guy who in no way was trying to be emperor but if you insist I guess I can take the crown.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Alhazred posted:

I think it's maybe due to the differences in personality. Caesar was a larger than life character who fought and hosed his way through Europe while Augustus seems to have tried to appear as this humble guy who in no way was trying to be emperor but if you insist I guess I can take the crown.

plus some of these understandings we have about Caesar was because of what a competent propagandist Augustus was, and how he understood he received the reflected glory of him hyping Ceasar without coming across as self aggrandizing.

Zopotantor posted:

augustus, -a, -um was a word long before it was given as a title of honor to the man

right, but my understanding was that it had a religious rather than imperial quality before the big man in question, and our application of it in that context is a reflection of his status. i could be mistaken tho.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

cheetah7071 posted:

I'm actually a little bit curious about the alt history where like, Augustus just dies of some disease five minutes after becoming undisputed ruler of rome. Obviously there's another round of civil wars, but do they end in dissolution or another successful strongman?

Rome falls into a civil war, Caeserion ends up the head of the Imperial faction.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
The application of Augustus as a human name was unprecedented and the whole point of it was to show the religious significance of the man who was already named Imperator Caesar, Son of God. I think it’s fair to say that the word would have slipped into obscurity with a lot of the rest of Roman religious jargon if he had gotten away with being titled Romulus, for example.

sbaldrick posted:

Rome falls into a civil war, Caeserion ends up the head of the Imperial faction.

You mean of course Ptolemy XV of Egypt, who is not a Roman citizen and can have no role within the government of the res publica.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

CoolCab posted:

plus some of these understandings we have about Caesar was because of what a competent propagandist Augustus was, and how he understood he received the reflected glory of him hyping Ceasar without coming across as self aggrandizing.

And Shakespeare. Shakespeare did a lot of work.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
We also have thousands of years of beginner latin students reading Caesar's adventures in Gaul in his own words. Cicero is probably more well known than Augustus (if only barely) for a similar reason.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

It’s a real pity we’ve lost Augustus’ memoirs.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The lost memoirs I really want to read are Sulla's

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

I’m imagining Ecce Homo style chapter titles. “Why I am so Felix”. “Why I understand the constitution so well”. “Why I gave Pompeius such a good nickname”

CrypticFox
Dec 19, 2019

"You are one of the most incompetent of tablet writers"
In a similar vein, its a real shame that Ptolemy's history has been lost. We are missing out on all the stories of how Ptolemy single handedly slew elephants, defeated 1000 men in single combat, and how everyone else except him (and Alexander) was stupid.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

skasion posted:

It’s a real pity we’ve lost Augustus’ memoirs.

Maybe if he called it "Augustus and Agrippa's Murderous Adventure!" then more people would have made personal copies for it to survive.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
https://twitter.com/javiercha/status/1367155302257201154

jfc

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Don Gato posted:

Maybe if he called it "Augustus and Agrippa's Murderous Adventure!" then more people would have made personal copies for it to survive.

Augustus’ Bizarre Adventure.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Those nobles seem pretty ignoble if you ask me.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Bar Ran Dun posted:

a phone attempt was made

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Mar 4, 2021

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Bar Ran Dun posted:

if you squint really hard i guess mark antony works as a DIO figure

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

A reckless social climber, self obsessed, who escapes to eqypt only to be defeated by a relative of his. The pieces are all falling into place.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Gaius Marius posted:

A reckless social climber, self obsessed, who escapes to eqypt only to be defeated by a relative of his. The pieces are all falling into place.

Nelson and Napoleon were related?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I know Wellington was loving one of Napoleon's mistress's so that almost counts

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Jazerus posted:

if you squint really hard i guess mark antony works as a DIO figure

you thought it was marcus antonius

Origin
Feb 15, 2006

cheetah7071 posted:

I think I found them. The text just says "Es stultior asino, Gaium Marium" over and over again.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Don Gato posted:

The A-Team

by.a.teammate
Jun 27, 2007
theres nothing wrong with the word panties
Just wondering if anyone is watching that new samurai documentary on Netflix? It's seems high production values but really pulpy history. I have no evidence to back this up though just a hunch and I wondered if someone with actual knowledge knew more?

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Gaius Marius posted:

I know Wellington was loving one of Napoleon's mistress's so that almost counts

More than one: didn’t he spend the years after Waterloo methodically tracking down and seducing several of them?

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

by.a.teammate posted:

Just wondering if anyone is watching that new samurai documentary on Netflix? It's seems high production values but really pulpy history. I have no evidence to back this up though just a hunch and I wondered if someone with actual knowledge knew more?

The Japan History Podcast dude worked on this documentary afaik, and I quite like his work, so sure I think I'll check it out later.

On that note, his most recent episode managed to articulate a certain domestic/foreign policy dynamic that I had never fully appreciated: why would any lord ever enter a submission pact with an overlord? Sure they can kick your rear end, but that's the stick, what's the carrot? Turns out the answer is that the overlord/emperor/shogun/king of kings can offer something new: legitimacy. Any lord has to worry about both threats from above, from without, and from within, from jealous and overly ambitious underlings who'd love to take your spot. But if your overlord makes it aware to all your vassals that you're the only rightful ruler of a domain, and if anything tries to supplant you will probably be met with a military intervention from superior forces, then suddenly your position is far more secure, and you have more freedom to act in ways that may conflict with the interests of your vassals.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
I read some pretty bad things about the Netflix series on AskHistorians. Although someone pointed out that doesn't necessarily reflect on the historians involved if it's the studio making decisions.

Also legitimacy doesn't even have to be about actual intervention from whoever it is conferring it, it can just be about association with their name. This is understandably a huge thing basically everywhere around China; if you have even the nominal support of that giant empire (and it was nearly always only nominal), your position cosmically if nothing else was a lot more secure. This (along with being able to trade with China) was the fundamental draw of being in the Chinese tributary system; in Japan when the imperial family had more local sources of legitimacy to draw from they withdrew from it. In Korea it's also why Joseon was so willingly aligned with Ming, much closer than Goryeo had been to the prior dynasties -- Joseon's king ascended through a coup, and so it was from drawing on Chinese-conferred legitimacy that he secured what had been a fairly precarious rise.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

by.a.teammate posted:

yeah I don't know enough to evaluate the accuracy either but there sure is a lot of "X was unquestionably the most Y of all time!" stuff

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

WoodrowSkillson posted:

look, no one knows about this guy who has an adjective and a month of the year named after him and was one of the main characters in a super popular HBO show

:discourse:

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

by.a.teammate posted:

I found it hillarious that there's almost exclusively white pudgy guys as "historians", with a one or two japanese scholars strewn in. The white guys look exactly as you'd imagine.

These anime pillows are never long without body warmth, and their phones make KATANA (the most powerful sword in the world) swoosh sounds when a new message arrives.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Hey btw, are there hardcore romanophiles in Japan, like weeaboos, but them guys lusting for the puellae and the roman cementum.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
There was a woman who wrote a comic about a Roman bath architect time travelling several dozen times through arcane bath portals into and from modern Japanese baths and eventually getting stuck in Japanese times and starting a relationship with a Japanese woman romaboo

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

There was a woman who wrote a comic about a Roman bath architect time travelling several dozen times through arcane bath portals into and from modern Japanese baths and eventually getting stuck in Japanese times and starting a relationship with a Japanese woman romaboo

same person who did extra olympia kyklos?

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Man check out this HOT PIECE OF BRASS: https://twitter.com/10thLegio/status/1367560699250098178

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Why not polish it?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Mr. Nice! posted:

Why not polish it?

Every time you polish something you're wearing a layer of it off.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Also, money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer

Mr. Nice! posted:

Why not polish it?

The appraisers on antique road show will make fun of you.