Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Garrand posted:

If DS2 played mechanically more like DS3 it would be my favorite by far; I find most of the zones and the lore of Drangleic more interesting but it's just so super clunky. DS3 gameplay with power stancing. And none of that adaptability poo poo.

I'd agree to an extent. People who say 3 borrows a lot from Bloodborne aren't wrong because one thing I really don't like about 3 is the way enemies tend to be hyper aggressive, extremely fast at random - even the big slow guys are prone to busting out rapid multi-hit combos on a whim just like bloodborne - and also really just chunky and resistant to getting knocked out of their animations unless you're using an ultra greatsword or rapier cheese. ADP is pretty much a crime though, I don't think anyone will ever really go to bat for that one. At best you'll find people who say the complaints about it get overblown given how often it's framed as being mandatory, when it's definitely possible to play, and beat, the game without investing in it. It's just a bad idea not to since the alternative is basically like perpetually playing with a fat roll.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
DS2 was a decent game that got screwed by the developers scrapping everything story/lore-wise and reworking it from scratch, then running out of time/money at the end. It explains the strange level transitions, how some places that are meant to be super important are reduced to being a hallway.

Though FROM seems to do that a lot with its games, looking at the alpha story of Bloodborne or the alpha story leaked by a tester for DS3. Things just didn't work out as smoothly for DS2 as with those games.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Dark Souls? Oh, you mean Boring Nioh

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I hadn't heard about an alpha story for 3 being leaked, but I was just reading an article Lokey published a couple of days ago about an early vision for how the game would progress and end. Was that leak his source?

By the way, I definitely recommend his articles for anyone who's into filling in the blanks left by Souls series lore. It can sometimes seem a bit like he jumps to fanficcy conclusions, but he usually has some pretty good reasoning for his theories.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
DS2 PvP was pretty fun, poise was fairly busted so you could power stance with the caestus and stun lock people to death while humming eye of the tiger.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Vagabong posted:

DS2 PvP was pretty fun, poise was fairly busted so you could power stance with the caestus and stun lock people to death while humming eye of the tiger.

I used to collect angry steam comments from people who didn't appreciate my tactic of sitting on a roof and shooting poison arrows at them in the iron keep bell tower.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

Alaois posted:

Dark Souls? Oh, you mean Boring Nioh

Something about Nioh just rubs me the wrong way. At first I thought its the lack of fashion souls, but Sekiro I wholly enjoyed despite that same factor.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Dabir posted:

I hadn't heard about an alpha story for 3 being leaked, but I was just reading an article Lokey published a couple of days ago about an early vision for how the game would progress and end. Was that leak his source?

By the way, I definitely recommend his articles for anyone who's into filling in the blanks left by Souls series lore. It can sometimes seem a bit like he jumps to fanficcy conclusions, but he usually has some pretty good reasoning for his theories.

I think so? The leak is documented here, though it wasn't a very big leak or anything https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...ery-differently but it seems that that lore page is talking about this.

DeafNote posted:

Something about Nioh just rubs me the wrong way. At first I thought its the lack of fashion souls, but Sekiro I wholly enjoyed despite that same factor.

The lack of fashion souls? I'd say that Nioh has better fashion souls option than the entire DS trilogy, if only for the fact that you can morph the appearance of your gear, so when you inevitably get something better you can still have it look like the gear you'd be replacing.

I like both series equally, though I feel that the combat in Nioh is on a deeper level than DS. DS3 tried to go a little deeper with weapon stances, but it didn't really come together for me.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Archer666 posted:

I think so? The leak is documented here, though it wasn't a very big leak or anything https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...ery-differently but it seems that that lore page is talking about this.

The lack of fashion souls? I'd say that Nioh has better fashion souls option than the entire DS trilogy, if only for the fact that you can morph the appearance of your gear, so when you inevitably get something better you can still have it look like the gear you'd be replacing.

I like both series equally, though I feel that the combat in Nioh is on a deeper level than DS. DS3 tried to go a little deeper with weapon stances, but it didn't really come together for me.

Combat in Nioh is a lot better than DS, but I feel like your combat options are wasted on a lot of enemies outside of the human bosses

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
While the talk around Rolfe was genuinely dumb there is a moment that stuck out which is that he wanted to show his daughter the "real GHOSTBUSTERS" (not the cartoon) while maybe not considering that a girl is going to identify more with the all-female version as opposed to the old guys that her Dad found funny.

Still, it was the worst time for 'the discourse' when people had to pretend that GB2016 was good. For the record I don't mind it, but Paul Feig is simply not a very good director and Kirsten Wiig clearly didn't want to be there. Leslie Jones was great though.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Shinji2015 posted:

Combat in Nioh is a lot better than DS, but I feel like your combat options are wasted on a lot of enemies outside of the human bosses

As long as you don't pick a weapon that's heavy in counters most seem to give you enough skills to use one monsters as well.
I'm not surprised that some people like DS but not Nioh since they do change the formula quite a bit making it imo closer to survival horror than the DS dungeon crawler style, which I personally like better.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

DrVenkman posted:

While the talk around Rolfe was genuinely dumb there is a moment that stuck out which is that he wanted to show his daughter the "real GHOSTBUSTERS" (not the cartoon) while maybe not considering that a girl is going to identify more with the all-female version as opposed to the old guys that her Dad found funny.

Still, it was the worst time for 'the discourse' when people had to pretend that GB2016 was good. For the record I don't mind it, but Paul Feig is simply not a very good director and Kirsten Wiig clearly didn't want to be there. Leslie Jones was great though.

It was an adequate movie that needed more script and less improv. And also, you know, an actual final act.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Nioh is too bloaty in that very Ubi/KMMO way where you just kinda shut down after a while from excess of information if you're a certain type of person (me).

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

I like how Nioh places an emphasis on preparation as well as the fighting itself. You’ve got all your different equipment to think about as well as guardian spirits and soul cores, and a bunch of different skill trees you’re progressing through more or less at once. It’s complicated, but the more you engage with it the more of an advantage you’ll have in the actual battles.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

It does suck when some movie becomes a cultural war thing so you gotta take sides regardless of quality. Ghostbusters 2016 was bad (and abysmal when compared to the original) but the reactionaries threw a fit over it because women were in it and for no other reason. The response to James Rolfe's video was insane - his whole point was he wasn't going to watch it because he didn't think he could give it a fair shake since he'd be comparing it to the original film which is an all time comedy.

I did always get a kick out of Leslie Jones being the worst part of the trailer when she ended up being the best part of the movie.

The newest Ghostbusters looks like it's gonna be garbage but weirdly enough I don't see the same internet nerds throwing a fit for some reason.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Groovelord Neato posted:

The newest Ghostbusters looks like it's gonna be garbage but weirdly enough I don't see the same internet nerds throwing a fit for some reason.

Giving the slimmest benefit of the doubt, are people actually aware a new one's coming? I sure wasn't because man 2016 was a stinker.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Dabir posted:

See I actually disliked this about 2 because it feels like the cheap and easy way to do it. DS3's callbacks often told you a bit more about how the world had developed between the two games - to take a simple example, some items go from being from "the land of Astora" to being from "the ruined kingdom of Astora". Astora has been destroyed since DS1, but some people wear its armour because they're sentimental about its legacy - an effort has been made to expand on the history that came before. The way DS2 does it felt to me like basically waving the item icon in front of you and writing the lore equivalent of "only 2011 gamers will remember this".

DS3's callbacks to Astora are interesting in a different way though, because they're also quiet nods/digs at the Dark Souls fanbase's fetishization of certain DS1 items:

DS3's Elite Knight Set posted:

Armor said to have been given to elite knights of fallen Astora.

The mere mention of Astora invoked wistful pangs, and perhaps it was such a dream that drew Anri to this faraway home known only by name.

It plays into one of the themes of Anri questline in DS3 of "If you like DS1 so loving much, why don't you marry it?"

Archer666 posted:

DS2 was a decent game that got screwed by the developers scrapping everything story/lore-wise and reworking it from scratch, then running out of time/money at the end. It explains the strange level transitions, how some places that are meant to be super important are reduced to being a hallway.

Though FROM seems to do that a lot with its games, looking at the alpha story of Bloodborne or the alpha story leaked by a tester for DS3. Things just didn't work out as smoothly for DS2 as with those games.

People talk about it less because DS3 and Bloodborne are substantially better about polishing what they were able to finish, but both of those games do end up with the same problem as 2 with endgame stuff often getting reduced to linear corridors. With how long Elden Ring's been radio silent, it makes me wonder if they've actually gotten time to give into their dark impulses and fully flesh all their zones out, or if it's another development hell on the tier of 2 again...

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Was there any decent breakdowns of the NC Wall video? I'm fascinated enough to wanna watch it get picked apart, not enough to endure the video itself.

Also holy poo poo how am I just hearing now he got Corey Taylor to collab on it :psyduck:

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

SteelMentor posted:

Was there any decent breakdowns of the NC Wall video? I'm fascinated enough to wanna watch it get picked apart, not enough to endure the video itself.

Also holy poo poo how am I just hearing now he got Corey Taylor to collab on it :psyduck:

I only found out there was even a terrible The Wall review because the I Hate Everything podcast about it showed up on my sidebar one day:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKmLEwyWDkw

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Mokinokaro posted:

His video was literally "I'm simply not interested in the movie. The previews do not look great and if I'm going to watch a new Ghostbusters film I want one that connects to the old ones instead of this soft reboot."

It was the most harmless take but the culture warriors of both sides twisted it into something it wasn't.

Yeah, James had to say something because people know he's a big Ghostbusters fan or they would have never left him alone. Everybody fell over themselves to dunk on him for it because they decided it was performative (possibly because if they themselves had done it it would have been performative). And the most telling thing that it wasn't a stunt or clickbait is by all accounts James honestly didn't care. I don't think he's even mentioned it since.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Yardbomb posted:

Giving the slimmest benefit of the doubt, are people actually aware a new one's coming? I sure wasn't because man 2016 was a stinker.

Before movie theaters shut down forever I swear I saw that trailer for the new one at least a dozen times. Easy to forget since it got delayed with everything else, admittedly.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

They did show the new ghost Muncher a couple weeks back and people made fun of it on twitter.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Last I saw of the new one was a bunch of the Chapo guys latching onto the not-Slimer that got revealed at a toy fair in some ironic fit for about a fortnight.

f:b

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

Groovelord Neato posted:

It does suck when some movie becomes a cultural war thing so you gotta take sides regardless of quality.

the trick is: you don't gotta take sides

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Bonaventure posted:

the trick is: you don't gotta take sides

Oh I don't the movie was bad but a bunch of people acted like it wasn't because the reactionaries had made a big stink about it ahead of time and if you rightly said it was bad you were one of them.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Now I’m remembering Devin coining the phrase “Ghostbros”

https://birthmoviesdeath.com/2016/05/18/the-soft-sexism-of-hating-on-the-new-ghostbusters

https://birthmoviesdeath.com/2016/07/10/ghostbusters-review-bad-news-for-the-ghostbros

https://birthmoviesdeath.com/2016/07/19/the-ghostbros-ruined-my-childhood

Trilogy of idiocy

CelticPredator fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Mar 4, 2021

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
ds3 wishes it was half the game as the best dark souls game, dark souls 2: scholar of the first sin

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah, James had to say something because people know he's a big Ghostbusters fan or they would have never left him alone. Everybody fell over themselves to dunk on him for it because they decided it was performative (possibly because if they themselves had done it it would have been performative). And the most telling thing that it wasn't a stunt or clickbait is by all accounts James honestly didn't care. I don't think he's even mentioned it since.

The response to his video makes me glad he doesn't do social media. It was loving embarrassing.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Yardbomb posted:

Internet reactionaries do not deserve the benefit of the doubt. They abdicated their right to it a long loving time ago.

stingtwo
Nov 16, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

It does suck when some movie becomes a cultural war thing so you gotta take sides regardless of quality. Ghostbusters 2016 was bad (and abysmal when compared to the original) but the reactionaries threw a fit over it because women were in it and for no other reason. The response to James Rolfe's video was insane - his whole point was he wasn't going to watch it because he didn't think he could give it a fair shake since he'd be comparing it to the original film which is an all time comedy.

I did always get a kick out of Leslie Jones being the worst part of the trailer when she ended up being the best part of the movie.

James thought the trailers for the 2016 ghostbusters was horrible enough to not go see it, I think he mentioned a few years later he still hadn't seen the movie.

Media sites and the producers of Ghostbusters 2016 chalked up any negitive reactions to the trailers as anti-woman movements which do exist but are such a minority of the people who thought the trailer was trash

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

"Ghostbro" should also be the term for when you're an irritating discourse gadfly who is then exposed as a rapist piece of poo poo and subsequently vanishes from the internet.

Queer Salutations
Aug 20, 2009

kind of a shitty wizard...

Ghostbuster (2016) was actually very good if only because of Chris Hemsworth's performance.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Queer Salutations posted:

Ghostbuster (2016) was actually very good if only because of Chris Hemsworth's performance.

??? he was one of the worst parts.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Nuns with Guns posted:

DS3's callbacks to Astora are interesting in a different way though, because they're also quiet nods/digs at the Dark Souls fanbase's fetishization of certain DS1 items:

It plays into one of the themes of Anri questline in DS3 of "If you like DS1 so loving much, why don't you marry it?"

I thought I remembered it that way too, but I was on my phone at the time and didn't remember it well enough to be confident.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Vagabundo posted:

Internet reactionaries do not deserve the benefit of the doubt. They abdicated their right to it a long loving time ago.

I meant more as to *anyone*, cause it sure as hell turned to complete vapor in my mind at least.

Also DS2 by far had the best PvP too like someone said, it reached that overload of weird busted poo poo that could actually work, that you had a bunch of configurationss of busted poo poo to play with, sure dark humanity magic or whatever was pretty lame coming from armored dudes, but I beat a bunch of them doing super light fist weapon power stancing, DS2 didn't really get that *that* single lameass build that just effortlessly beat everything else like the others sure had for varying amounts of time. 3 might've been the absolute most boring which was a shame when it does have a bunch of kooky weapons that are fun to mess with, but you'd just get turtles pissing their pants with caestus hornet ring and the other super lame curved swords etc. stuff after that.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Mar 4, 2021

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Yardbomb posted:

DS2 is the best one, power stance was the best extra weapon mechanic they ever came up with, it's the only one who thought that maybe NG+ should add and change stuff around to make it more interesting, plus it had the best fist weapons and probably the best weapon in the whole series, the Bone Fist.

NGL, I am finding the Bone Fist to be wildly overrated. I get why people are obsessed with it - it's equal parts cool and ridiculous - but it turns out that a game built around 2000 different types of swords (and the occasional hammer) wasn't designed with minimal range punching in mind. If it was a little more viable and a little less "wacky gimmick challenge weapon" then I'd be on board with calling it the best weapon.

Nuns with Guns posted:

I can't help but wonder how much of 3's overall cynicism comes from From's actual feelings on the series. It's rare to see a franchise literally end with "look, it's DONE, there is absolutely nothing left, we're loving off to another world now".

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

My favourite argument for why Ghostbusters 2016 was bad was that men are more biologically suited for ghostbusting.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I know I shouldn't, but sometimes I wonder what that nazi skull guy is up to. He got so close to efame but lost it all in a feud with his tub friend.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Just you wait until my thesis on Men's Superior Bustin' gets published.

Oh wait no ghostbusters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Yardbomb posted:

Just you wait until my thesis on Men's Superior Bustin' gets published.

Oh wait no ghostbusters.

Its ok

The paranormal forum cant stop you here.