Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

I'm an American with a passing interest in British politics and by total coincidence follow a disproportionate number of Scots on Twitter--could someone tl;dr me on the Sturgeon/Salmond row? I'd be much obliged. I keep seeing and reading things that discuss it in a meta way but not discussing what the actual controversy is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Oh man I'm so glad we got Brexit done, finally and completely

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

TipTow posted:

I'm an American with a passing interest in British politics and by total coincidence follow a disproportionate number of Scots on Twitter--could someone tl;dr me on the Sturgeon/Salmond row? I'd be much obliged. I keep seeing and reading things that discuss it in a meta way but not discussing what the actual controversy is.

This whole page covers it, but this post has a decent summary

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=1&threadid=3960766&perpage=40&pagenumber=13#post512940178

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Gonzo McFee posted:

https://twitter.com/ashindestad/status/1367384722922496001?s=19

Accusing Jeffrey Epstien of being Jeffrey Epstien is antisemitic.

My mum is like that, loving loves the royal family. Will watch the same royal docco over and over and tell me how great they are. Hates that I would like to see the whole institution abolished.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Thank you very much, clears some things up!

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

bessantj posted:

My mum is like that, loving loves the royal family. Will watch the same royal docco over and over and tell me how great they are. Hates that I would like to see the whole institution abolished.

I've never gotten it. Even with the massive PR campaign behind them I don't get why anyone would love this bland, charisma devoid family of rich wankers who's family tree resembles a double helix.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Gonzo McFee posted:

I've never gotten it. Even with the massive PR campaign behind them I don't get why anyone would love this bland, charisma devoid family of rich wankers who's family tree resembles a double helix.

It's part of the Great British Institution™ and is hammered in from an early age as one of the few things we have left to be proud of. The others being racist sitcoms and World War 2.

Lmao the state of this loving island:

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
It says something that my folks, as liberal as they are, don't seem to like the Royal family. Maybe there is a reason I ended up like this.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Not really anything practical - The LCC is basically a pressure group set up by the loyalist paramilitaries after their various political projects (PUP, UDP) stagnated to try to put pressure on the Unionist parties to engage with them.

In practice it's just signalling that they are gonna increase their opposition campaign to the various sea border things which has been in full swing since the start of the year and maybe also cease any get out the vote activities for the Unionist parties come next assembly election (which they have being doing more and more in loyalist estates in the late few years).

At most maybe another wave of flag protest like things

Edit: Of course it's also a veiled threat of "we might do something now yah ballbegs so don't piss us off" which is probably more the direct intention

kustomkarkommando fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Mar 4, 2021

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

peanut- posted:

https://twitter.com/ONS/status/1367407911828414466?s=20

I don't really blame them but it will be interesting how this plays out over the next few months.

remember when Israel's "coronavirus tsar" (lol) briefly flagged a concern that pfizer could have efficacy in the low 30s?

People got their jab and began mixing in large enough numbers to cause cases to spike, then they dropped back off as more people got their 2nd vaccine and immunity began to kick in. It's ridiculous that no government appears capable of paying attention to this poo poo

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

TipTow posted:

Thank you very much, clears some things up!

That is a good description of it but underlaying it all is the future leadership of the SNP. Some people saw the allegations against Salmond as a good way to taint Sturgeon as she had been so close to him. Now Salmond is pushing this lying to parliament stuff for reasons beyond my ken certainly. Salmond was already gone so I'm not sure it makes much sense for Sturgeon to try and ruin his reputation, he was doing that by himself with his RT show.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
lol you'd think terfs would love jorp

https://twitter.com/jordanbpeterson/status/1367102473429807110?s=20

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

The dislike of Harry is obviously due to racism in massive part, but don't forget that the press hate him because he dares mention how awful they are and a lot of people just follow along with that.

Also, there is a core of people who hate anyone who is seen to be damaging the monarchy in any way. A lot of people vocally hated Diana, though they suddenly went quiet in late summer of 1997 for some reason.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

kustomkarkommando posted:

Not really anything practical - The LCC is basically a pressure group set up by the loyalist paramilitaries after their various political projects (PUP, UDP) stagnated to try to put pressure on the Unionist parties to engage with them.

In practice it's just signalling that they are gonna increase their opposition campaign to the various sea border things which has been in full swing since the start of the year and maybe also cease any get out the vote activities for the Unionist parties come next assembly election (which they have being doing more and more in loyalist estates in the late few years).

At most maybe another wave of flag protest like things

Edit: Of course it's also a veiled threat of "we might do something now yah ballbegs so don't piss us off" which is probably more the direct intention

I think they realized they can't do anything about it.
Like who are they going to attack over it?
Attacking sea border workers will just piss off the UK.
Attacking anywhere in the Republic will just make the UK and Republic work MORE to get them.
Attacking the UK to show their loyalty to the UK....

They are probably more pissed off now that their drugs smuggling is hampered now.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
It's weird because a few years ago Harry was the royal everyone liked regardless of position on the royal family. Amazing that all it took was marrying a beautiful black woman to get rid of that.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Gonzo McFee posted:

I think it's like a callback to days of empire when Britain meant something other than the "funny bit" at the end of news reports in other countries.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
quite a lot of clips here of harry talking about how much he hates the press

https://twitter.com/AaronBastani/status/1366053919898624002?s=20

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Gonzo McFee posted:

It's weird because a few years ago Harry was the royal everyone liked regardless of position on the royal family. Amazing that all it took was marrying a beautiful black woman to get rid of that.

listen a lot of the chaps in afghan had mental health, you know, so make sure you just ring up your best bloke and see if he's alright

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Comrade Fakename posted:

A lot of people vocally hated Diana, though they suddenly went quiet in late summer of 1997 for some reason.
Philip had them all killed too?

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Communist Thoughts posted:

I think this is extremely naive about the level of racism among the British imo

"I wouldn't care if she was EVEN BLACKER but she should act proper" is the kinda thing a racist taxi driver sez
I tend to look to my father in law to see what the racist take on any issue is now, and his argument was literally that there are too many muslims (anyone not visibly white or african descent is muslim) in public life, what's next, a muslamic on the throne??? Well if Megan so-called Markle gets her way there might be! United Caliphate of no longer Great Britain!! You couldn't make it up!!!

Except you literally just did, Mark.

Loonytoad Quack
Aug 24, 2004

High on Shatner's Bassoon

happyhippy posted:

I think they realized they can't do anything about it.
Like who are they going to attack over it?
https://twitter.com/PoliticsForAlI/status/1367222371514519556
🤞

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/YouGov/status/1367527504643293189?s=19

Brutal.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Lol, Troubles 2.0 is ramping up then. Thanks pricks, I can't wait to get my second vaccine and immediately get blown up on my first trip to the Arndale.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese
Any other leader etc

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

20 points ahead baby

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

I got probated the last time I posted my feelings on this but imagine I'm singing a very special Wolfe tones song.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

forkboy84 posted:

20 points ahead baby

Well he's 20 points ahead of the combined Green & SNP vote... erm...

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/AllyFogg/status/1367529929185845256?s=19

drat.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Lol, Troubles 2.0 is ramping up then. Thanks pricks, I can't wait to get my second vaccine and immediately get blown up on my first trip to the Arndale.

Finnish state media: "We cannot trust perfidious Albion", attributed to the Irish in the article.

That's not a joke, that's today's headlines.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

forkboy84 posted:

20 points ahead baby

Excuse me for sharing complete Twitter randoms but I just saw this in the wild

https://twitter.com/IWTheDarkPrince/status/1367535964885839875?s=20

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
I keep seeing that boy posted and honestly it feels like bullying a child by dunking on him and the born too young to care about Iraq generation.

In that it's immensely satisfying and easy.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

This is still the old 'We know where you live' threat.
If the loyalists did do anything to a UK govt member the RA would send them a thank you card.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Shouldn't have signed in to twitter, my blood pressure has soared by about 50 points in the last 2 hours.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Shouldn't have signed in to twitter, my blood pressure has soared by about 50 points in the last 2 hours.

https://twitter.com/rowlsmanthorpe/status/1367445498366488576?s=19

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese
Who could have possibly foreseen this

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

peanut- posted:

quote:

Corbyn didn't have to deal with the govt being boosted by a rally around the flag effect, a vaccine effect, an ease of restrictions effect AND a budget bump effect. Like it or not, Corbyn would be 20 points behind at this point.
Just imagine what would have happened to Corbyn's approval if there was a rally around the flag effect, say from a major terrorist attack or analogous disaster, or even both in the space of a few weeks

Seriously if he were PM right now he'd be being bodied for Stalinism, but if he hadn't gotten so bodied on Brexit & was still LOTO we'd be well in the lead right now

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Is this the Dido Harding £bns thing?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
You may strike me down, but however many pieces you blow me into shall take my place!

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

endlessmonotony posted:

Finnish state media: "We cannot trust perfidious Albion", attributed to the Irish in the article.

That's not a joke, that's today's headlines.

It's an old meme, but it checks out.

Brits are at it again, this time it's 27 other countries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Will there be no end to sectarian violence against fish people?