Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
warch
This poll is closed.
warch 68 44.44%
warch 85 55.56%
Total: 153 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Kerrzhe posted:

i thought this post was about BotW cause this is how i felt about that game

what kind of zelda game gives you all of your toys at the beginning???

One that doesn't want to put any barriers in front of your exploration and let you do things in any order you want. Definitely a trade-off--there's a lot of satisfaction in getting new tools as you go--but I thought it was fun. It's not necessarily the blueprint I'd want for every Zelda game but I liked it in the two games that have it (Link Between Worlds if you pay rupees, and BotW).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Weedle posted:

where do you think they store our goop pods

The goop pods are right next to wherever they took the mango juul pods :argh:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Goop pods are the latest thing Gwyneth Paltrow wants you to stick in your vagina

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
Goop? No thank Gwyneth.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Squeenix are working with the peeps who did the Panzer Dragoon remakes to do a number of remakes on a mystery franchise so place your bets now.

Legacy of Kain Legacy of Kain Legacy of Kain :pray:

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Third Birthday: Somehow Skeevier Edition

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Read an article about the popularity of Genshin Impact and now I'm feeling bummed about, like, the very existence of gacha games again.

Something like Genshin is a really interesting case. From what I've played of it, I would happily spend $60 on a version of it that wasn't designed around being a gacha, and I'd pay for Smash Bros-style DLC character packs, too. It has a lot of really cool ideas and fun combat. It's just that, like every gacha game out there, even if you can finish the story and a lot of side stuff without ever spending money, the very design of the progression systems just sucks all the fun out of it for me. Gacha games tend to have these multi-layered progression systems where you don't just level up your characters and learn skills, but you also use a bunch of different currencies to rank them up, and do the same to gear a lot of the time. And then there's just the sheer randomness of which characters you even have access to. Even if you can get plenty of stuff without ever paying money, the way you do it, and the way you progress, is just inherently unsatisfying to me.

It's obvious that the gacha design makes a ton more money than selling a full-priced game, even with DLC and microtransactions, or Genshin wouldn't do it. Maybe it's just because it's also available on phones and people seem completely repelled by games that cost even $10 on a phone no matter what the game is.

(I also recently tried Dragon Quest Tact which is another part of this. I very much want a tactics-RPG about Dragon Quest monsters! That is very cool, cute, and fun! Why does it have to be a gacha?)

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Harrow posted:

Why does it have to be a gacha?

:capitalism:

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
When will they finally bring DQX to the west

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Gacha bitch!!

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Harrow posted:

Maybe it's just because it's also available on phones and people seem completely repelled by games that cost even $10 on a phone no matter what the game is.
It's a bit of a vicious cycle. Nobody is willing to pay 10$ for a mobile game because even the best mobile games are still worse than even just the low average for games on most other platforms. At the same time, nobody bothers really developing a proper, non-MTX game for mobile devices because people wouldn't be willing to pay for it anyway.

Some of the best games you can play on mobile devices are PSX and SNES games on an emulator, and that's just a pretty sad state of affairs.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

they do develop non-MTX/gacha games for apple arcade but there's not enough exclusives to apple arcade to justify it for the average person

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Rarity posted:

Wrong, we're actually in the matrix

sadly we are not. the matrix was deemed too good and therefore we have all been transitioned to the matrix: reloaded

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

The 7th Guest posted:

they do develop non-MTX/gacha games for apple arcade but there's not enough exclusives to apple arcade to justify it for the average person

True, but that's still a really big plus IMO, knowing that their curated selection of games don't have paid currencies or boosters.

I don't have an Apple device though, so whatever.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

The 7th Guest posted:

Also the obvious downside of intentionally excluding any Android user from their ecosystem, which is not a small demographic by any means.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I don't think my brain will ever accept gacha as a valid form of entertainment. I know everything I do is meaningless because it's all determined by a weighted money powered algorithm so I'm just miserable the whole time I play them.

Like I briefly tried getting into the Fire Emblem phone game but after an hour of being thrown freebie character after freebie character it just became white noise.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Harrow posted:

Read an article about the popularity of Genshin Impact and now I'm feeling bummed about, like, the very existence of gacha games again.

Puzzle & Dragons is the gacha bullshit game I would happily pay for a good version of. They did make a 3DS version with mario stuff, it's fine, but doesn't really have the same depth or range of puzzlin. I just wanna move them jewels around again but without the part where my brain convinces itself 50 bucks is a good amount of money to spend gambling on eggs in a godfest.

Square or somebody made a fun game a while back I liked the strategy of but the mtx poo poo became too overwhelming too quickly. You like, lined your characters up on squares and you would attack stuff wedged between two of your characters. Can't reven remember the name now, but it was a cool strategy game puzzle concept.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The more I think about it, it's not even just the randomness that does it. Like, getting random blades in Xenoblade Chronicles 2 was honestly fine. I think it's the rest of the multi-layered, multi-currency progression systems that really kill gacha games for me. A hypothetical version of Genshin Impact where you still get characters randomly, but equipment and character progression are more standard action-RPG systems rather than tied into the gacha, would probably be just fine by me.

Khanstant posted:

Square or somebody made a fun game a while back I liked the strategy of but the mtx poo poo became too overwhelming too quickly. You like, lined your characters up on squares and you would attack stuff wedged between two of your characters. Can't reven remember the name now, but it was a cool strategy game puzzle concept.

Was that Terra Battle? That was the Mistwalker phone RPG where you had to arrange and move your characters around on tiles to do attacks. I thought it was a really cool combat system and I would've happily paid for a non-gacha version of it.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

mobile games are also very ephemeral due to the constant changes to the platform that require continual app updates to support, and games without microtransactions generally don't have that long tail of revenue that makes it worth publishers' time to keep them updated. a lot of customers, with good reason, don't have confidence that a game they buy now is still going to be playable in a couple of years. that, combined with the race to the bottom that occurred in the first year or so of the iphone app store that established $1-3 as the standard mobile game price point and $10 for the absolute most top notch premium titles, means that people are generally reluctant to invest any significant amount of money in a mobile game. the fact that it takes basically no effort at all to pirate paid android games makes developers even more likely to rely on microtransactions instead of up-front purchases

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Knowing that even where you can collect those secondary resources yourself, the game is intentionally just slightly too slow to make it reasonable or fun and that the only way to get around it is to pay for currency repeatedly, that is what kills it for me. I've gotten into arguments with people about microtransactions before and about how much of them I think are acceptable in a game before it's too much, but gacha games and their whole sales methodology is the definition of predatory business practices to me. At least a regular MMO gives you a fixed amount of time per month for the money and for that amount, you get full access to everything. Even that is more than I'm willing to deal with, but at least they don't nickel and dime you to death.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

the thing that turns me off most about gacha rpgs is the sense that i have to be really careful not to waste limited resources. like in a single player offline rpg if i run out of something important i just google "robinson's requiem where to get bug legs" or something and then i go to the slime pits and get the bug legs and i'm back in business. but in gacha games the answer to questions like that are always "grind for a week and a half or spend $35"

e:

Cardiovorax posted:

Knowing that even where you can collect those secondary resources yourself, the game is intentionally just slightly too slow to make it reasonable or fun and that the only way to get around it is to pay for currency repeatedly, that is what kills it for me. I've gotten into arguments with people about microtransactions before and about how much of them I think are acceptable in a game before it's too much, but gacha games and their whole sales methodology is the definition of predatory business practices to me. At least a regular MMO gives you a fixed amount of time per month for the money and for that amount, you get full access to everything. Even that is more than I'm willing to deal with, but at least they don't nickel and dime you to death.

lol yup exactly

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/OnTheDownLoTho/status/1367488709277470722?s=19

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Harrow posted:

Was that Terra Battle? That was the Mistwalker phone RPG where you had to arrange and move your characters around on tiles to do attacks. I thought it was a really cool combat system and I would've happily paid for a non-gacha version of it.

Yes! That was it, I was having a blast and then hit a wall. Tried looking up strategies or whatever to beat it and they were basically all "oh it's easy, just use this rare thing, this OP lady, and this golden idol and bim bap it's done!" I don't think there was a way to beat it with the options I had.

How bout they just make a jRPG but instead of random menu-based battles, each enemy type throws you into a different good gacha game puzzle core.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

what's wrong with it other than being nothing xenoblade characters

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

grieving for Gandalf posted:

what's wrong with it other than being nothing xenoblade characters

They swapped their color schemes so Mythra has Pyra's hair/clothing colors and Pyra has Mythra's. It's one of the alternate colors for them in Smash.

Khanstant posted:

Yes! That was it, I was having a blast and then hit a wall. Tried looking up strategies or whatever to beat it and they were basically all "oh it's easy, just use this rare thing, this OP lady, and this golden idol and bim bap it's done!" I don't think there was a way to beat it with the options I had.

How bout they just make a jRPG but instead of random menu-based battles, each enemy type throws you into a different good gacha game puzzle core.

Yeah, I'd love that! I had a ton of fun with Terra Battle before I started hitting all the gacha stumbling blocks. A full JRPG with that combat system would be fantastic.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Simone Magus posted:

When will they finally bring DQX to the west

In all seriousness, is there a guide for setting up and creating an account to play DQX if you live in America? I wouldn't mind at all playing on the Japanese servers and paying the monthly fee.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I don't think that really applies to genshin tbh, most of the progression is not particularly tied into standard mobage systems. there is a stamina system that gates some character upgrades, but a lot of the most impactful stuff comes from raids on weekly lockouts as if it were a mmo. much of the stuff you need is just stuff you accumulate by playing the game normally which is not at all how most gacha games work

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

homeless snail posted:

I don't think that really applies to genshin tbh, most of the progression is not particularly tied into standard mobage systems. there is a stamina system that gates some character upgrades, but a lot of the most impactful stuff comes from raids on weekly lockouts as if it were a mmo. much of the stuff you need is just stuff you accumulate by playing the game normally which is not at all how most gacha games work

That's good to know if I ever try to get back into it. I think I saw that weapons are part of the gacha and that just kind of shut me down right there.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Harrow posted:

They swapped their color schemes so Mythra has Pyra's hair/clothing colors and Pyra has Mythra's. It's one of the alternate colors for them in Smash.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

I said come in! posted:

In all seriousness, is there a guide for setting up and creating an account to play DQX if you live in America? I wouldn't mind at all playing on the Japanese servers and paying the monthly fee.

I was being serious too! I too would like this information

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I would love to try Dragon Quest X. It looks like a really chill MMO that I'd enjoy.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Harrow posted:

That's good to know if I ever try to get back into it. I think I saw that weapons are part of the gacha and that just kind of shut me down right there.

Yeah that was one of the main reasons I bounced off Genshin.

Did my tutorial 10 roll and I got the pity 4* maid girl and 9 3* weapons, and I could see what the gacha would be like and did not like it.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Harrow posted:

there's a weapon banner but it's a whale trap and most of the time it's full of garbage. they also give you trash weapons as condolences on the character banners that are largely useless

the consistently useful weapons in the game are either crafted or from the battle pass which is a much better return on investment than actually paying for gacha

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

It's a shame that Genshin would, by all accounts, be a pretty good game worth paying for, if only paying got you actually all of it instead of only bits and pieces.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Simone Magus posted:

I was being serious too! I too would like this information

If you have a Nintendo Switch: https://geektogeekmedia.com/geekery/dragonquestaustin/how-to-play-dragon-quest-x-in-america-on-nintendo-switch-for-free/

This is a little bit outdated but still looks to be a good resource https://ryanquest.com/2020/04/26/dragon-quest-x-guides-and-getting-started/

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

homeless snail posted:

there's a weapon banner but it's a whale trap and most of the time it's full of garbage. they also give you trash weapons as condolences on the character banners that are largely useless

the consistently useful weapons in the game are either crafted or from the battle pass which is a much better return on investment than actually paying for gacha

Oh, it's good to know my initial impressions of how much one needs to rely on the gacha were off, then. I assumed all the good weapons came from gacha pulls.

How grindy is the crafting and the battle pass leveling? I'm willing to give the game another shot and I'm less annoyed by battle passes in free games (depending on how much grinding they take to level versus how long the battle pass lasts) than I am with gacha because at least the rewards are deterministic.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Why was Breath of the Wild called that anyway, what is the breath of the wild

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Harrow posted:

Oh, it's good to know my initial impressions of how much one needs to rely on the gacha were off, then. I assumed all the good weapons came from gacha pulls.

How grindy is the crafting and the battle pass leveling? I'm willing to give the game another shot and I'm less annoyed by battle passes in free games (depending on how much grinding they take to level versus how long the battle pass lasts) than I am with gacha because at least the rewards are deterministic.
the battle pass is pretty easy to level if you're playing consistently, I generally just do the easiest daily/weekly quests and skip some of the more annoying ones and still cap the bp when I try, my tip is just look at the list and do the math and figure out what you the bare minimum you need to do each week. also, you don't level it any faster if you buy it, so you're better off waiting until the end of the season and seeing if you reached a high enough level to bother spending money

crafted weapons are gated by weapon prototypes, you can get at least one of each type from npcs to get started, and then they're a somewhat rare drop from the weekly bosses after that. it's tight but only really a difficult grind if you care about fully upgrading weapons, which isn't very necessary

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

still waiting on release dates for these games:

gestalt: steam and cinder
rosewater
outrider mako
garden story
transmute
rubi the wayward mira
bonfire peaks
astrodogs
unsighted
arrieta of spirits
chicory
12 minutes
bushiden
lab rat
princess farmer
webbed
effigy
lore finder
eastward
exophobia
viscerafest
protocorgi
lunark
gamedec
land of screens
jackaxe
astronite
port valley
escape simulator
gravity circuit
mineko's night market
sable
brave earth prologue
renaine
tunic

and of course UFO 50

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Gamedec had an open demo a few months ago that looked reeeaaally rough, I'd say it's not coming out anytime soon. Tunic I think might be vaporware by this point.