Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Pages back but if you want a Golf R without the cheat codes buy an Evo or something.

with mine at least (evo X) you can defeat traction control but still leave the torque vectoring/S-AYC system enabled so you can at least keep your foot pinned in the turn and let the car shuffle the power around.

you can 100% turn it off and go hog wild but I value my transfer case and half shafts more than a bit of oversteer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Charles posted:

Both my Kia and Subaru have halogen rear turn signals. Mazda simulates a halogen bulb with theirs. Not sure if there's some reason.

My xB has halogen rear lights but then an LED third brake light :confused:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Applebees Appetizer posted:

My xB has halogen rear lights but then an LED third brake light :confused:

as a hilarious cost cutting measure the Mk 7 Golf in the US has LED tail lights and halogen headlights with LED DRLs.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

as a hilarious cost cutting measure the Mk 7 Golf in the US has LED tail lights and halogen headlights with LED DRLs.

My car also has HID headlights and LED DRLs must be Toyota wanted me to have them all so as to feel not left out of anything :v:

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Can't wait for full LED lighting all around to be standard. Love that the IIHS started testing lighting performance a couple years ago and promptly gave 80% of new cars a failing grade. :lol:

Ideally it'll put some pressure on our hilariously antiquated federal automotive lighting regulations that are preventing real strides in progress.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Guinness posted:

Can't wait for full LED lighting all around to be standard. Love that the IIHS started testing lighting performance a couple years ago and promptly gave 80% of new cars a failing grade. :lol:

Ideally it'll put some pressure on our hilariously antiquated federal automotive lighting regulations that are preventing real strides in progress.

I would agree only if there is some enforcement of people aiming the things correctly. I drive to work in the dark every morning and on my drive I see people with halogens burned out so they run on hi-beams, people with just the LED accent strips on - rogues are particularly egregious about this, and all manner of LED and LED retrofits blinding the poo poo out of me and everyone else. I'd prefer those assholes to have to hold a kerosene lamp out the window. At least with the old HID, you could aim them up/down from inside the vehicle (my mazda6 did this), but now it seems every Tom, Dick & Harry have some lovely ebay LED retrofit or a pickup with a leveling kit and they're content to sear the retinas right out of my head every morning.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

I'm only talking about OEMs

Retrofits have always been and will always be poo poo and frankly shouldn't be allowed without some sort of inspection and sign off. Most of them are probably already illegal but lol at things like proper safety inspections in most of the USA

And more modern regulations that would allow for some the tricks Euro headlights have for dynamically managing lighting direction and minimizing glare might help too

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

I can confirm. I have the Sylvania halogen LED retrofit bulbs in my '15 F150 and have maybe 2mm left of adjustment with the factory housings after re-aiming them to the manufacturer beam spec listed in the owners manual.

Every single person I have ever spoken to had no idea that there was any adjustment needed or even possible.

The best thing that the manufacturers can do is make the factory headlights so good that there is no "upgrade" necessary.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Guinness posted:

I'm only talking about OEMs

The cars with blinding lights I come across are all OEM... :v:

I'm driving a normal sized car, normal ride height and so often I have to flick anti-glare lever on my mirror when a new SUV thing drives up behind me. I've even had ones with the magic laser lights blind me because the system is only good at seeing oncoming headlights, not rear lights.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I'm driving a normal sized car, normal ride height and so often I have to flick anti-glare lever on my mirror when a new SUV thing drives up behind me. I've even had ones with the magic laser lights blind me because the system is only good at seeing oncoming headlights, not rear lights.

Have you thought of buying an SUV, duh.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Russian Bear posted:

Have you thought of buying an SUV, duh.

I'm gonna get a James Bond pop up shield with a mirror fitted on it.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Yeah that and I frequently have to gently caress with the side view mirrors too- blinded from every possible angle lol

feel like there's some sorta tragedy of the commons feedback loop thing going on with vehicle ride height in the US and it's v irritating

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
I haven’t had too many issues in my miata, although maybe years of driving to santa cruz on hwy17 has already burned away any sensitivity.

My current non-regulatory pet peeve are hogs with aftermarket exhausts AND sound systems now that I live near a freeway on-ramp. I shouldn’t be able to hear them so loudly on the 5th floor with all double pane windows. When you’re louder at idle than normal car horns, somethings wrong.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

MeruFM posted:

I haven’t had too many issues in my miata, although maybe years of driving to santa cruz on hwy17 has already burned away any sensitivity.

My current non-regulatory pet peeve are hogs with aftermarket exhausts AND sound systems now that I live near a freeway on-ramp. I shouldn’t be able to hear them so loudly on the 5th floor with all double pane windows. When you’re louder at idle than normal car horns, somethings wrong.

“We HaVe To Be LoUd FoR sAfEtY” I bellow, helmetless, from the saddle of my iron horse

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

MeruFM posted:

Boomer arms race against their tinnitus

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

BloodBag posted:

I would agree only if there is some enforcement of people aiming the things correctly. I drive to work in the dark every morning and on my drive I see people with halogens burned out so they run on hi-beams, people with just the LED accent strips on - rogues are particularly egregious about this, and all manner of LED and LED retrofits blinding the poo poo out of me and everyone else. I'd prefer those assholes to have to hold a kerosene lamp out the window. At least with the old HID, you could aim them up/down from inside the vehicle (my mazda6 did this), but now it seems every Tom, Dick & Harry have some lovely ebay LED retrofit or a pickup with a leveling kit and they're content to sear the retinas right out of my head every morning.

Every car I've had with HIDs (even going back to 90s Japanese imports) has self levelling with no manual adjustment.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

LeeMajors posted:

“We HaVe To Be LoUd FoR sAfEtY” I bellow, helmetless, from the saddle of my iron horse

More like a tin donkey.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

dissss posted:

Every car I've had with HIDs (even going back to 90s Japanese imports) has self levelling with no manual adjustment.

My 2012 STI had a thumb wheel to manually level its HIDs.

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

Guinness posted:

Yeah, my favorite part was when they started shaming the luxury manufacturers by basically putting a * next to safety ratings saying it only counted if you got the right lights.

It's super annoying that for a long time a lot of manufacturers hid upgraded lights in the top level trim packages (I'm looking at you Mazda). At least BMW has always had upgraded lights as a standalone option even if dealers never bothered ordering cars with it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Midjack posted:

My 2012 STI had a thumb wheel to manually level its HIDs.

My 2015 BRZ is the same.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

dissss posted:

My 08 MS3 had manual adjustment. I guess it's cheaper than auto leveling, and they have to have one or the other.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I wish the E39 had manual adjustments rather than the busted rear end self levellers

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

LeeMajors posted:

Last night on the way home I saw some old guy sitting at a red light on his harley revving his engine, like a real-life biker from that south park episode, having the time of his life being a colossal tool. Far as I can tell he only rides it to and from the VFW, never seen him on anything anywhere else.

I've never once heard a loud motorcycle and thought "aha, a motorcycle is nearby, better be on the lookout." I refused to buy a motorcycle with aftermarket exhaust and I stand by that choice, I've never heard one with aftermarket pipes that didn't sound like poo poo.

Frankly I'm not even much a fan of aftermarket car exhaust either. But then again I fully admit I'm a weirdo.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

As Nero Danced posted:

Last night on the way home I saw some old guy sitting at a red light on his harley revving his engine, like a real-life biker from that south park episode, having the time of his life being a colossal tool. Far as I can tell he only rides it to and from the VFW, never seen him on anything anywhere else.

I've never once heard a loud motorcycle and thought "aha, a motorcycle is nearby, better be on the lookout." I refused to buy a motorcycle with aftermarket exhaust and I stand by that choice, I've never heard one with aftermarket pipes that didn't sound like poo poo.

Frankly I'm not even much a fan of aftermarket car exhaust either. But then again I fully admit I'm a weirdo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylhsbfQTPDQ

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

opengl128 posted:

My 08 MS3 had manual adjustment. I guess it's cheaper than auto leveling, and they have to have one or the other.

Guess it's market dependent because I had one of those and it had auto levellers.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

dissss posted:

Guess it's market dependent because I had one of those and it had auto levellers.

Ah so you probably got the headlight washers too then?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Yeah I think that for the Australian market washers are compulsory if you have HIDs and because New Zealand is such a small market it usually gets AU specs.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

dissss posted:

Yeah I think that for the Australian market washers are compulsory if you have HIDs and because New Zealand is such a small market it usually gets AU specs.

This is also true for Canada. Mandatory headlight washers for HID headlights. Factory HID RX-8s in the US don't get them though.

McTinkerson fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Feb 28, 2021

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

jfc in the cold light of day, the Ionic 5's styling is so drat cool.

The lines and detailing are so impossibly 80's retro future. I mean, the tail reflectors are damned louvered sunglasses.

I can't believe 4-5 years ago Hyundai corporate were sitting a boardroom, saw this concept are were like,

I don't care about the power or specs, I want one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUHQYkqJ5r8&t=67s

smooth jazz fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Mar 1, 2021

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

smooth jazz posted:

The lines and detailing are so impossibly 80's retro future. I mean, the tail reflectors are damned louvered sunglasses.

I can't believe 4-5 years ago Hyundai corporate were sitting a boardroom, saw this concept are were like,

Nice find, I'm stealing this for the EV thread :P

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

smooth jazz posted:

I didn't like it in the photos, but that video makes it look extremely good.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
Do you, like me, enjoy getting really pissed off at trendy new cars because they have awful nav software and lovely touch buttons on the goddamn steering wheel? Good news! The ID4 is here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EotuxCptcM4

That window switch is :discourse:

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

Name a more cynical cost saving measure in all of automobiledom than that window switch.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Love the white steering wheel :v:

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
My Focus has 4 window switches and they all feature auto close/open :smug:

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Monkey Fracas posted:

My Focus has 4 window switches and they all feature auto close/open :smug:

lowkey my favorite feature of the RS

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

i own every Bionicle posted:

That window switch is :discourse:

Need a Doug DeMuro version of :mods:

antimatt
Sep 12, 2007

ultima ratio regum

The Oldest Man posted:

Need a Doug DeMuro version of :mods:

:nexus:

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

smooth jazz posted:

Name a more cynical cost saving measure in all of automobiledom than that window switch.

The last Lincoln Continental, a car only bought by Floridian retirees, had a push-button gear selector which used buttons that were identical to the ones on the right hand side of the radio used to control safety and convenience features.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

Godzilla07 posted:

The last Lincoln Continental, a car only bought by Floridian retirees, had a push-button gear selector which used buttons that were identical to the ones on the right hand side of the radio used to control safety and convenience features.

I think (?) that arrangement was supposed to be a callback to Lincoln push button transmission of the 50's

But, yea.

smooth jazz fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Mar 4, 2021