Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
warch
This poll is closed.
warch 68 44.44%
warch 85 55.56%
Total: 153 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Lol, Brian Blessed and Samantha Bond are voices of two pc's in Evil Genius 2.

Blessed is returning character Red Ivan who is now a boss instead of a henchman. Too bad about the whole 'rockets indoors' thing he had going on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ni7IHanWFA

Saint Freak fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Mar 4, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

homeless snail posted:

the battle pass is pretty easy to level if you're playing consistently, I generally just do the easiest daily/weekly quests and skip some of the more annoying ones and still cap the bp when I try, my tip is just look at the list and do the math and figure out what you the bare minimum you need to do each week. also, you don't level it any faster if you buy it, so you're better off waiting until the end of the season and seeing if you reached a high enough level to bother spending money

crafted weapons are gated by weapon prototypes, you can get at least one of each type from npcs to get started, and then they're a somewhat rare drop from the weekly bosses after that. it's tight but only really a difficult grind if you care about fully upgrading weapons, which isn't very necessary

Thanks, I'll probably redownload the game and give it another go this weekend. I'll drop by the thread when I inevitably have more questions. I watched some youtube videos of high-level gameplay and the combat looks like a blast so I want to give it a real try at some point.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

by far the best thing about genshin impact as a gacha game, is that it is an incredibly easy going and undemanding one. most gachas are constantly using new content and events to push you towards specific builds and pulling the new characters, even uma musume is running an event right now that incentivizes you using certain horse girls and cards to get event progress faster, but in genshin once you have a team you like built out there is very little reason to change things. the pressure does exist, they rework encounters in the endgame dungeon seasonally to favor certain elements and characters, but that dungeon kinda sucks and is largely whale bait, and also seasonal events do occasionally give you extremely marginal bonuses for running certain guys (but routinely it's not the featured 5*, the best guy during the dragonspine event was just Some Dude that had already been in the game for months)

I've used essentially the same crew since launch, and three of them were freebies, just because I like the way they play. I haven't even bothered to fully upgrade them even though I'm at max world tier because if you are good at the game you can punch way above your weight, which is not something that is generally true for gachas

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

FirstAidKite posted:

Why was Breath of the Wild called that anyway, what is the breath of the wild

"Link, you truly are the Breath of the Wild."
-Zelda maybe

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

I've probably posted this before but I legitimately like gacha systems; I think if they're done right you can have a lot of fun with having to figure out how to complete challenging content with just the characters you pull instead of whatever the current OP meta team is. The problem of course being that a lot of gacha games don't work like that, in fact most of them are designed to make you constantly wanna spend money in order to beat the next weekly event or whatever. But still, there are a few here and there where you can have a bunch of fun without spending a dime.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

homeless snail posted:

I've used essentially the same crew since launch, and three of them were freebies, just because I like the way they play. I haven't even bothered to fully upgrade them even though I'm at max world tier because if you are good at the game you can punch way above your weight, which is not something that is generally true for gachas

That's encouraging, too. I'm concerned I'll see videos with gameplay of certain characters who look really cool/fun and then get frustrated when I don't pull them (like I just watched someone kick rear end with Diluc and he looks real strong and fun to play as because I'm a sucker for big phoenix flame attacks), but I'm hoping that I enjoy the characters I do get enough that it doesn't end up mattering.

Arzaac posted:

I've probably posted this before but I legitimately like gacha systems; I think if they're done right you can have a lot of fun with having to figure out how to complete challenging content with just the characters you pull instead of whatever the current OP meta team is. The problem of course being that a lot of gacha games don't work like that, in fact most of them are designed to make you constantly wanna spend money in order to beat the next weekly event or whatever. But still, there are a few here and there where you can have a bunch of fun without spending a dime.

This is why it actually kinda worked in Xenoblade Chronicles 2 for me. Obviously there's no money pressure there, you couldn't pay for more blade cores even if you wanted to, but it still has the "randomly acquire characters" aspect. It was fun to put together strong teams with the blades that I happened to have.

gently caress now I kinda want to replay XC2

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Updating: Downloading Dragon Quest X on Switch now. Reading up on it, sounds like the game is in a similar place with its free trial to Final Fantasy XIX. Basically you get all of the original game for free, plus the first expansion.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

I said come in! posted:

Final Fantasy XIX

gently caress I completely missed 17 and 18

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo

Rarity posted:

gently caress I completely missed 17 and 18

You wouldn't have played them yet anyways :v:

Weedle
May 31, 2006

FirstAidKite posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iflGTN9Lt9s

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Huge missed opportunity by the QWERTY layout designers to not have all the roman numeral letters in the same row.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

FlowerRhythmREMIX posted:

The attitude of a non-time traveler :colbert:

Weedle
May 31, 2006

uh oh

Only registered members can see post attachments!

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
what are you supposed to do when you see someone dealing a f2p gacha scheme? once someone starts "Actually, it's not that bad..." and starts talking about battle passes and scheduled gameplay times and all you gotta do is play this game all the time since launch with limited options and get used to that and it's great etc etc

Feels like watching a meth addict convince a kid to give it a try, and hey, who am I to say meth isn't fun or worth trying, but still feels like at a minimum I should grab at broom and shoo away the gacha guys going door to door asking if you've heard the good value of the platinum gem pack.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Do phone games still do that “watch this ad and earn 1,250 platinum gems” thing?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The entire market is made up of games that "aren't that bad" tbh. Part of the psychology is tricking you into thinking they're being unusually generous when it's actually just industry standard stuff

As for genshin specifically, I took one look at the levelup system and the accessories and the weapon leveling system and went "yup this is a mobage system". It's absolutely bog standard.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

Do phone games still do that “watch this ad and earn 1,250 platinum gems” thing?

You can get currency by watching ads in the Romancing SaGa one, I know

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

:stare: how did I never notice that

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Saint Freak posted:

Blessed is returning character Red Ivan who is now a boss instead of a henchman. Too bad about the whole 'rockets indoors' thing he had going on.

Man I hope EG2 is good, I really loved 1 back in the day

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Harrow posted:

You can get currency by watching ads in the Romancing SaGa one, I know

Oh, does that work now? When I played the ads would fail to load or I'd get a sniper game ad that I couldn't escape from.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

FirstAidKite posted:

The real breath of the wild was the friends you made along the way

Saint Freak posted:

So happy this is getting a sequel. It does look a bit budget but they're also not charging full price for it. It seems like everything good about EG1 so I'm happy so far.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Zaphod42 posted:

:stare: how did I never notice that

in the words of former forums poster "zyborne cock,"

quote:

In this moment, Luigi is demonstrating more of the ephemeral qualities of "Mario" than Mario himself. Mario Mario is, in essence, learning from Luigi Mario how to be Mario Mario.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Khanstant posted:

what are you supposed to do when you see someone dealing a f2p gacha scheme? once someone starts "Actually, it's not that bad..." and starts talking about battle passes and scheduled gameplay times and all you gotta do is play this game all the time since launch with limited options and get used to that and it's great etc etc

Feels like watching a meth addict convince a kid to give it a try, and hey, who am I to say meth isn't fun or worth trying, but still feels like at a minimum I should grab at broom and shoo away the gacha guys going door to door asking if you've heard the good value of the platinum gem pack.
80% of that stuff also applies to ff14, though

cheetah7071 posted:

The entire market is made up of games that "aren't that bad" tbh. Part of the psychology is tricking you into thinking they're being unusually generous when it's actually just industry standard stuff

As for genshin specifically, I took one look at the levelup system and the accessories and the weapon leveling system and went "yup this is a mobage system". It's absolutely bog standard.
the key difference being, a lot of that stuff you use for upgrades are just flowers or rocks or whatever that you pick up in the open world, and aren't gated by a mobage mechanic like stamina or whatever. that's a pretty substantial difference when most mobages won't even allow you play if you're low on stamina

homeless snail fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Mar 4, 2021

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Weedle posted:

To further explore the deep and subtle themes that the director intended, you can see that Mario Mario's green jacket is in fact red on the underside. This represents the duality of man, and that Mario is repressing his inner self, but... *fart*

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

100 degrees Calcium posted:

Oh, does that work now? When I played the ads would fail to load or I'd get a sniper game ad that I couldn't escape from.

Yeah, it worked when I tried it, though it gave so little currency that I never did it again. Dunno if that's intended or not, or maybe it gives you more if you watch more ads.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

homeless snail posted:

the key difference being, a lot of that stuff you use for upgrades are just flowers or rocks or whatever that you pick up in the open world, and aren't gated by a mobage mechanic like stamina or whatever. that's a pretty substantial difference when most mobages won't even allow you play if you're low on stamina

grinding isn't better than stamina imo, it's much worse. I'd rather have a button to turn stamina into resource than be told "you can grind it as much as you want! have fun doing that for hours!" every time

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
At least you'll actually be playing a game instead of just being expected to just get your dopamine rush from seeing the number go up.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

From what homeless snail said, it really sounds like a lot of the "bullshit" in Genshin (in as much as it, like every "forever game" or service game, has bullshit) is closer to MMO bullshit than mobage bullshit. It clearly has some of each but most of what was described sounds more like MMO or even like Destiny-like endgame stuff.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I can't speak for all MMOs but at least in ffxiv most endgame stuff is closer to stamina, in that things have weekly or daily locks on them

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

cheetah7071 posted:

grinding isn't better than stamina imo, it's much worse. I'd rather have a button to turn stamina into resource than be told "you can grind it as much as you want! have fun doing that for hours!" every time
enough about horizon zero dawn though

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

FlowerRhythmREMIX posted:

I feel very attacked by this post :saddowns:

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

when i dip you dip we dip

Weedle posted:

imagine four balls on the edge of a cliff. say a direct copy of the ball nearest the cliff is sent to the back of the line of balls and takes the place of the first ball. the formerly first ball becomes the second, the second becomes the third, and the fourth falls off the cliff

time works the same way

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

I can't speak for all MMOs but at least in ffxiv most endgame stuff is closer to stamina, in that things have weekly or daily locks on them

Genshin stuff is generally stamina locked too once you're done with the exploration gameplay

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

Well that's because FFXIV is relatively light on MMO bullshit. Like it doesn't tie your overall progression to world quest and daily/weekly quest grinds the way WoW does. If you just wanna progress one job you can just get your weekly tomes and do your weekly raid lockouts playing a few hours a week and you're good. It has MMO bullshit for sure but it's lighter on it than WoW or even like GW2 sometimes (even if most of GW2's rewards are cosmetic there's a lot of grind to get the fancier things).

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

GenshOUT impWAIT

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

all I'm saying is, I've played a lot of gachas and mobage and have a pretty good understanding of how they work, and genshin isn't just "a good gacha game" but rather a good game that also happens to have some gacha elements. there's a lot to complain about in gachas generally and genshin specifically, but when the premise is "I'm bummed about gacha games because they're all bad in the same ways" genshin just, doesn't do a lot of those things

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

homeless snail posted:

"friends don't let friends play MMOs*" I think is basically the same thing, minus an arbitrary amount since the crappy business model of an MMO is less-bad than the contemporary models. Plus they tend to ask for far more of your time and it's a wash on how much either will ever respect your time.

*this does not apply to your mmo-friends, who are expected to string each other into different mmos chasing the same dragon in different iterations as they ebb and flow in quality over time.

anyway its just japes, play what u want, have fun how u like, and convince anyone u want into playing them. we all know videogames are the devil are are going to hell for playing them, the wholesome business model of noah's ark 3d cannot save you from gamergod

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

UFO50... I want to play that, also I want the soundtrack

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZMCnyB2CAw