Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Wow, OK. Is it old? Looks like it's a laminate countertop. Here's what I would do... Get a template for the faucet you like. Check the layout in the top. If you need a third hole, drill one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

This house is pretty old, and the owner before the owner I bought it from thought he was a handy dude (spoiler: he wasn't) so there are all sorts of weird things we uncover as we live here.

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

Update for my situation: I have got in contact with a real estate attorney and have a meeting scheduled for the 15th. Thank you everyone for the advice!

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Well my boiler quit working last night, and is throwing an error 302 code low pressure. Looks like my expansion tank sprung a leak. Fun stuff! Just when you think everything is going well.

$2k to fix. Not a problem with the boiler or the expansion tank but some sort of air bleeder valve. They need to completely empty water out of the system and purge air too. Fun stuff.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Things you don't expect / think about before buying: Garbage pick-up is my most expensive utility by almost double the next. One can plus recycling from WM (town contracted them) is $196 a month.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Holy poo poo that's a lot for trash pickup. That's just a little more than 6 months for my area. Billed quarterly at 85.

Edit. Even better its $72 a quarter. Your month buys me 8 months. For two 96 gallon cans, one is recycling.

StormDrain fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Mar 4, 2021

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

IDK I paid ten bux and now y’all need to deal with my garbage.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

PCjr sidecar posted:

IDK I paid ten bux and now y’all need to deal with my garbage.

If there was a 6-min probation, I'd give you it just because I laughed. :lol:

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

StormDrain posted:

Holy poo poo that's a lot for trash pickup. That's just a little more than 6 months for my area. Billed quarterly at 85.

Edit. Even better its $72 a quarter. Your month buys me 8 months. For two 96 gallon cans, one is recycling.

Haaa, nope, I'm dumb. My auto-pay expired and so I got two bills in a row because... newsflash... I owe two months in a row. :suicide:

$196 is quarterly for me, 1x 64 gallon trash + recycling. Never mind. Water is still my biggest bill.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Sundae posted:

Things you don't expect / think about before buying: Garbage pick-up is my most expensive utility by almost double the next. One can plus recycling from WM (town contracted them) is $196 a month.

Sewer is usually the big surprise one. I've seen sewer rates around me vary from $25/month to over $100/month.

Interestingly, those paying the lower rates are probably underpaying. Municipal sewer systems are typically way underfunded and have lovely, outdated infrastructure. Many are so mismanaged that municipalities are quick to sell them off to private companies, that quickly start charging the market (correct) rates, much to many laments on NextDoor.

If your sewer is cheap, consider yourself lucky for now. It won't be forever.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Water was the biggest jump for me, but we have no municipal utilities where I live. Private water/sewer/trash. Luckily we have municipal electric and gas. My water bill runs 100 to 140 a month where I'm at, but hey the private company that owns the water company pays a healthy dividend and finds their way to pay the CEO over 1M a year, so thats cool. Sewer is privately owned as well. This one is questionable to me as I pay a monthly "maintenace fee" of 60 bucks a month for sewer. I pay the same rate as the house next to me with 8 people in it, compared to the 4 in my house. It's not based on water usage at all. A private company built a package sewer system for a couple neighborhoods close by, and charge a monthly fee.
I went from paying 55 bucks a month for water/sewer trash to about 170-210 a month for all 3. I knew all this before I moved though, just comes with the territory.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
This is also going to be dependent on how many houses-per-mile these systems are handling. There is a certain base cost to move your poo poo around, and if you all sit on 1acre lots instead of 7k sqft postage stamps it's going to be a different calculus. We pay like $1.10/day for Sewer, Trash, Recycling, Greenwaste, and street sweeping. We're in a decently packed in suburb and it's all public utilities. Water and power are private and gently caress me it's overpriced.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

quote:

Interior Painting:
1. First floor living room and dining room ceiling and wall repair. After prep areas will receive one coat of primer and finish paint.
2. 1st floor landing wall will be repaired then receive one coat of primer and finish paint.
3. Master bedroom ceiling, walls and trim will receive one coat of finish paint.
4. Spare bedroom wall will be prepped then receive one coat of finish paint.
5. Loft bathroom will be repaired. After prep that area will receive a primer and finish coat.
6. Stairwell walls leading to loft will receive one coat of finish paint.

Part 1 of sprucing up the house prior to sale. I was quoted $2400 by the painter our realtor suggested, with the Benny Moore paint colors that are already on the walls. Seem reasonable/not crazy?

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

H110Hawk posted:

We pay like $1.10/day for Sewer, Trash, Recycling, Greenwaste, and street sweeping.

I'd love to see how that gets budgeted. Municipal services can offset some of the direct service fees by funding them with property/income taxes. Private services tend to charge much closer to the actual cost, since, you know, they can't fudge the numbers.

Our township just did a request for proposal for trash hauling, and most of the bids were pretty close. For once-a-week 1 large bin, unlimited recycling, and 1 bulk item a month it's around $30/month.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

B-Nasty posted:

I'd love to see how that gets budgeted. Municipal services can offset some of the direct service fees by funding them with property/income taxes. Private services tend to charge much closer to the actual cost, since, you know, they can't fudge the numbers.

Our township just did a request for proposal for trash hauling, and most of the bids were pretty close. For once-a-week 1 large bin, unlimited recycling, and 1 bulk item a month it's around $30/month.

Yeah, this is broken out on our bill, I'm just summarizing our quarterly bill which is about $100. The sewer stuff is the only real thing I would worry about. They do reviews of it every 3 years and adjust the pricing accordingly. It's gone up a few dollars a quarter every year.

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007
Can anyone help me figure out what I need to do with these columns? They are holding up my back patio roof. Assume I know nothing. It looks like maybe this is some kind of wrap or cover with the way it’s splitting?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Looks like it is/was some sort of column. Maybe even just a steel lally column. It may or may not be holding your porch roof up anymore.

So yeah, the cladding needs to come off to see what's up under there. You could poke around under there with a scarper to maybe suss out what you're dealing with and if it's attached before you start pulling things apart. That may or may not yield useful information.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Residency Evil posted:

Part 1 of sprucing up the house prior to sale. I was quoted $2400 by the painter our realtor suggested, with the Benny Moore paint colors that are already on the walls. Seem reasonable/not crazy?

You're repainting the walls the same color as they are now? Do you think that's going to get you the extra $2400?

Odds are the person who moves in next hates the colors and ends up repainting anyway.

Isn't it a crazy sellers market right now anyway due to low supply/corona?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

devicenull posted:

You're repainting the walls the same color as they are now? Do you think that's going to get you the extra $2400?

Odds are the person who moves in next hates the colors and ends up repainting anyway.

Isn't it a crazy sellers market right now anyway due to low supply/corona?

Yeah repairing/repainting the walls to fix damage/cracks in the plaster, old gouges, etc. Our realtor suggested we make a few small fixes to spruce the house up for sale. :shrug:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Residency Evil posted:

Yeah repairing/repainting the walls to fix damage/cracks in the plaster, old gouges, etc. Our realtor suggested we make a few small fixes to spruce the house up for sale. :shrug:

Because your realtor is interested in selling your house a quickly as possible at any price.

If that $2400 came directly out of their commission it would not have been a suggestion.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Any repair you're doing for $2400 isn't worth doing unless it impacts some crucial function of your house.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Does it help that the paint/repairs will fix some water damage we had from a leak?

Either way, needs to be fixed.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
I think it really depends on the market, a fresh coat of paint could mean the difference between one offer and a bidding war. Perception is everything, a nicely staged home can easily blind people to some things they might not otherwise overlook.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Residency Evil posted:

Does it help that the paint/repairs will fix some water damage we had from a leak?

Either way, needs to be fixed.

Our realtor came in and recommended a fresh coat of paint on the wall with a large window and the wall opposite from it. One wall had some drywall damage (kids :argh:) that took me $20 worth of joint compound and an hour of YouTube videos. For a few hours of my time and $40 worth of paint it made an amazing difference in the brightness of the room. Beyond that he said don't worry about anything else. My market here, even in the middle of nowhere, is kind of nutso.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yooper posted:

Our realtor came in and recommended a fresh coat of paint on the wall with a large window and the wall opposite from it. One wall had some drywall damage (kids :argh:) that took me $20 worth of joint compound and an hour of YouTube videos. For a few hours of my time and $40 worth of paint it made an amazing difference in the brightness of the room. Beyond that he said don't worry about anything else. My market here, even in the middle of nowhere, is kind of nutso.

This is about where I'm at mentally for prepping my house for sale. I'm definitely doing some larger things that fall into the category of "problems I've lived with but can't really sell with". My realtor is claiming we don't need to do much of anything but it really does seem to me like spending an afternoon filling in drywall anchor / nail holes and slapping down a quick coat of white paint is going to be worth the effort.

Of course, we'll see how I feel after painting half of the interior of the new house, moving, and fixing aforementioned problems. :v:

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

NomNomNom posted:

I think it really depends on the market, a fresh coat of paint could mean the difference between one offer and a bidding war. Perception is everything, a nicely staged home can easily blind people to some things they might not otherwise overlook.

Yeah in the grand scheme of things, doing some paint/landscaping cleanup is stuff we’d be paying for anyways this spring. Not gonna stress out about these things if it helps get us (or not) more offers/etc.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
My realtor hired a stager for us and she reccomended I paint our master bedroom, which I fully understand because it was lime green with one wall having white stripes. I painted it, my wife picked the color and I always hated it.

I think I was also asked to paint another bedroom that was a nice lavender and I left it.

I just looked at it again on zillow and the new owners had it up for sale and didn't repaint anything as far as I could tell. Kitchen is a beautiful tangerine and the main room a nice yellow gold.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

StormDrain posted:

I painted it, my wife picked the color and I always hated it.

One of the things I need to fix before moving out is a bathroom vanity, where my wife has been a bit particular on what she wanted there. Now that we're moving out, I can just put whatever the gently caress I want that's cheap and in stock somewhere in town!

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I stressed about a bunch of little stuff I thought I needed to do when I sold my first house. I wanted to hand over a perfect house, which my realtor told me was the wrong idea. He said fix the important stuff, but leave some of the low hanging fruit for their inspector to find. They're going to want to find some things to justify asking for a concession and validate the cost of the home inspector, make it easy on them. This was almost 3 years ago so the market wasn't as hot as it is now, but I took his advice, and they came back with 1K for some minor things like trim needing painted, and a bit of fence repair and a home warranty. Like our carpet was in rough shape, 8+ years old, small kids, cats, etc... I thought I was going to have to give a big flooring concession. Realtor said don't worry about it. Buyer didn't even care because he was going to tear all the carpet out anyway and put down laminate floors. If the market is hot don't stress about all the little stuff.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
What is everyone's thought on homeowners personal liability coverage and umbrella policies? Is this something that cones into play very often or is it highly recommended to go higher then the minimum?

PageMaster fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Mar 5, 2021

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

PageMaster posted:

What is everyone's thought on homeowners personal liability coverage and umbrella policies? Is this something that cones into play very often or is it highly recommended to go higher then the minimum?

If you have significant assets to protect you should do so. An umbrella policy is quite inexpensive. I'm paying a few hundred bucks a year for $2M.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009

Motronic posted:

If you have significant assets to protect you should do so. An umbrella policy is quite inexpensive. I'm paying a few hundred bucks a year for $2M.

I don't have millions in assets, but seeing how cheap it is it looks like there's not really a reason not to in my case.

Related question, our home insurance broker found 4 companies that will cover us locally: Allstate, State farm, Farmers, and Amica; I can compare coverage and costs, but are any of these generally to be avoided or worth paying more for? I've been spoiled on USAA but they won't cover this new place and I don't want to fight a company that won't deliver if that's even possible.

PageMaster fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Mar 6, 2021

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

PageMaster posted:

Related question, our home insurance broker found 4 companies that will cover us locally: Allstate, State farm, Farmers, and Amica; I can compare coverage and costs, but are any of these generally to be avoided or worth paying more for?

This is a question best answered by a broker that knows your local market (e.g. do you get lots of hail/flooding) and the choices you have for coverage. SF is the largest insurer (property and casualty) by a long shot, with Allstate at about half the size. There's something to be said for the larger companies as far as consistency and their lack of capriciousness. Saving $50 a year might not be worth it if JoesInsurance.com randomly cancels your policy due to too many hail claims in your area.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

PageMaster posted:

I don't have millions in assets, but seeing how cheap it is it looks like there's not really a reason not to in my case.

Related question, our home insurance broker found 4 companies that will cover us locally: Allstate, State farm, Farmers, and Amica; I can compare coverage and costs, but are any of these generally to be avoided or worth paying more for? I've been spoiled on USAA but they won't cover this new place and I don't want to fight a company that won't deliver if that's even possible.
I have Amica and like their service. You get a local rep for each claim and they are very knowledgeable and helpful. It seems like you're talking to a professional and not a call center employee reading off a script. They gave their reps work-from-home for the pandemic, so it's kinda charming to hear their pets/kids in the background.

I've only filed a couple claims over the past decade (homeowners, renters, and auto) and have had no issues or pushback on any of them.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009

B-Nasty posted:

This is a question best answered by a broker that knows your local market (e.g. do you get lots of hail/flooding) and the choices you have for coverage. SF is the largest insurer (property and casualty) by a long shot, with Allstate at about half the size. There's something to be said for the larger companies as far as consistency and their lack of capriciousness. Saving $50 a year might not be worth it if JoesInsurance.com randomly cancels your policy due to too many hail claims in your area.

Thanks for this, I think I might need another broker since I wasn't getting any of this info; though I guess they were the ones who recommended I talk to state farm they didn't find any loans through their usuals.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

PageMaster posted:

Even if you don’t have that amount in assets it doesn’t stop someone from trying to sue you for above your regular coverage limits. Happened to us, little fender bender in stop and go traffic, the person claimed massive medical bills and pain above our insurance coverage. It was obvious bullshit but it kept us worried for two years until the insurance company called their bluff and settled the claim. Picked up $2M umbrella coverage after that, the peace of mind is worth it.

Edit: also our house is near the entrance to the high school so no more worrying about kids tripping on our sidewalk when one of their friends pushes them and their parents seeing dollar signs.

tomapot fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Mar 6, 2021

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Anyone have an insurance company they're happy with?

I used state farm for years with no major complaints. Unfortunately, they're a franchise and so I had to switch agents when I moved. The new agent increased my insurance rate by more than 20% without contacting me and also switched me from a lump sum payment to a much, much more expensive monthly installment plan. So I'm looking for new insurance. They messed up the insurance on both our cars too. Only found out because I was reviewing all the charges against my bank account.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Never had a problem with Geico for car insurance. They did raise our rates a ton after my wife had a roughly 9K claim, but I can't blame them for that. We ended up shopping around and leaving for Safeco.

Never had to file a claim against homeowners insurance.

I'm a big fan of using a local independent insurance agent. The agent I use now is super accessible, he gives everyone his cell phone number, and him and his 2 employees are super friendly, responsive, and take care of all the customer service bits of the policies. They call and email me every June when my homeowners is about to go up for renewal and go through my options, and check auto rates every 6 or 12 months for me.

When I bought a new car last month I just shot off a quick email with the VIN and asked them to update my policy. No stress on my part, they took care of everything.

Google for a local independent insurance agent with good ratings, and give them a shot, you might be surprised.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
USAA has been solid for everything I've ever had with them, but I get that's not available for everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009

skipdogg posted:

Never had a problem with Geico for car insurance. They did raise our rates a ton after my wife had a roughly 9K claim, but I can't blame them for that. We ended up shopping around and leaving for Safeco.

Never had to file a claim against homeowners insurance.

I'm a big fan of using a local independent insurance agent. The agent I use now is super accessible, he gives everyone his cell phone number, and him and his 2 employees are super friendly, responsive, and take care of all the customer service bits of the policies. They call and email me every June when my homeowners is about to go up for renewal and go through my options, and check auto rates every 6 or 12 months for me.

When I bought a new car last month I just shot off a quick email with the VIN and asked them to update my policy. No stress on my part, they took care of everything.

Google for a local independent insurance agent with good ratings, and give them a shot, you might be surprised.

Are you locked for a full year after you sign up for home insurance? We are starting to talk to independent brokers, but for the sake of keeping the lending process moving for our timeline sent in a quote from State farm (a lot of companies have pulled out of insuring CA). I'm assuming, but not sure that after we close, if a broker finds something that's better we can always switch?

Edit: I guess there might be a difference between 'agent' and' broker?'

PageMaster fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Mar 8, 2021