Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Skwirl posted:

What are you ranking ahead of it? because the first two certainly can't include the actual first two secret wars. And the Bendis mini was mostly about how awesome "preventative warfare" is.

I read that as "The third and best one."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

bessantj posted:

Yeah, I knew they were JLA analogues (Though I completely forgot that the Wizzer was supposed to be Wanda and Peitro's father until I read some Avengers issues recently), they don't seem to be trying hide that fact really, I just don't remember Power Princess looking quite so much like Wonder Woman.

You're thinking of the original Whizzer, who was part of the All-Winners Squad. Thomas most likely borrowed the name for the Flash knock-off character he created because the original was still a few years away from reappearing in MU continuity.

Dawgstar posted:

Wow, I'd forgotten they show up in Avengers way back when. Good catch. Gruenwald's series still loom pretty large, I guess. It felt like a 'what if superheroes take over the world' before that was done to death.

The Squadron Sinister/Supreme were nothing more than punching fodder for the Avengers until Gruenwald dusted them off for his miniseries, so it's totally understandable that his name would be top-of-mind whenever they're mentioned.

Other than the 80s limited series, the only other appearance of the Squadron that sticks out in my mind at all was from Busiek's Heroes Return run on Avengers, and that's only because Cap has a sick burn about how often the Squadron gets mind-controlled/manipulated into fighting the Avengers.

Splint Chesthair fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Mar 4, 2021

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
tbf hickman's sw does not have spider-man teaching the beyonder to poop, which decreases its ranking

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

site posted:

tbf hickman's sw does not have spider-man teaching the beyonder to poop, which decreases its ranking

It also, technically, kills all of the New Mutants again.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

site posted:

It has the burger scene with molecule man which owns

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Sentinel Red posted:

Woah. Till I scrolled down further and saw the black corset, I honestly thought it was a pic of Diana.

I've seen this pic fly by on Twitter multiple times and I didn't realise it wasn't Wonder Woman until I read this thread. :downs:

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

bessantj posted:

Also, has Power Princess always been that close to Wonder Woman?

definitely not. She's always been a WW analogue, but the current incarnation of the Squadron Supreme that Aaron has introduced in his Avengers run and is using in Heroes Reborn is particularly blatant about being an ersatz Justice League, and the designs reflect that.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
Given the AI subcultures they've established for the Marvel Universe in books like Livewires and Dan Slott's Iron Man run, Vtubers in the 616 are deeply offensive to mecha-Americans and/or about ten seconds from turning into a low-stakes Skynet for weebs.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Wanderer posted:

Given the AI subcultures they've established for the Marvel Universe in books like Livewires and Dan Slott's Iron Man run, Vtubers in the 616 are deeply offensive to mecha-Americans and/or about ten seconds from turning into a low-stakes Skynet for weebs.

X-Men's current attitude of just killing all AI when they find it makes a lot of sense.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Every book with Hulking and Wiccan in them is just gonna be great from now on I guess.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

The new Spider-Man costume is going to be a huge swerve, and actually be Peter and Mary Jane getting married again, right?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

BrianWilly posted:

Every book with Hulking and Wiccan in them is just gonna be great from now on I guess.

Aside from Children's Crusade, were they ever in a bad book?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

BrianWilly posted:

I too like the abs on the new accuser

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Skwirl posted:

What are you ranking ahead of it? because the first two certainly can't include the actual first two secret wars.

Sure it can. Everything interesting in Hickman's one is just a long-winded rerun of a concept from the original two stories, and the rest is just his insufferable, interminable world-building. Say what you will about Secret Wars 2, it was mercifully brief.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

The Bendis one was just Secret War.

Recently tried to read the first Secret Wars as part of my Claremont era X-Men read through, and was just so bored with it within four issues. I was really expecting to at least enjoy it on a smashing toys together level, but I just couldn’t click with it.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
I read Secret Wars for the first time within the last year and i thought it was fine, if unremarkable in the present.

I thought it was really of the times that Titania was always referred to as overweight and ugly when she is a dime in the series.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Lord_Hambrose posted:

The new Spider-Man costume is going to be a huge swerve, and actually be Peter and Mary Jane getting married again, right?

I wonder if there's going to be a plotline where Peter teams up with himself through time travel or something, and the new costume will be so the readers can tell them apart.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Yvonmukluk posted:

I wonder if there's going to be a plotline where Peter teams up with himself through time travel or something, and the new costume will be so the readers can tell them apart.

I hope this run doesn't dip into the Two Spider-mans Well for a second time...

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Spencer already did that?

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Rhyno posted:

Spencer already did that?

It was like the second story.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lord_Hambrose posted:

It was like the second story.

I think I checked out after his 2nd issue.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Rhyno posted:

I think I checked out after his 2nd issue.

Ultimately? Smart move.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Yeah but I've read the last 10 or so and now I need to get the back story on Kindred.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Lord_Hambrose posted:

That was 'Peter & Spidey are two separate people'.

Totally different.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Oh I remember that. Dumb.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

X-O posted:

No, that's the recent Secret Wars.

Secret Wars is like Marvel's "Crisis on..." when it comes to event names.

Splint Chesthair posted:

You're thinking of the original Whizzer, who was part of the All-Winners Squad. Thomas most likely borrowed the name for the Flash knock-off character he created because the original was still a few years away from reappearing in MU continuity.

Thank you for the correction.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Skwirl posted:

What are you ranking ahead of it? because the first two certainly can't include the actual first two secret wars. And the Bendis mini was mostly about how awesome "preventative warfare" is.

Look at this poster forgetting all about Secret Wars III, which was an arc in Fantastic Four.

Which I suppose is the comic version of a "direct to VHS" sequel.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

The Question IRL posted:

Look at this poster forgetting all about Secret Wars III, which was an arc in Fantastic Four.

this poster, and also Marvel Comics

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

The Question IRL posted:

Look, if I had space in my brain for every terrible arc of Fantastic Four stories I'd probably need to forget how to feed myself to make room.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Don't forget Beyond! either.

Really, don't forget it, it's by Dwayne McDuffie.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

bessantj posted:

Thank you for the correction.

Sure, and I hope I didn’t come off as being a pedantic dick there, lol.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Yvonmukluk posted:

I'm ashamed to say I forgot Beyond! which is weird because it's so fun. Maybe I'll reread it this week if I get a spare minute.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Yvonmukluk posted:

RIP Bi Beast.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Yvonmukluk posted:

Ridiculously fun little story that no one paid any attention to. drat shame.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

It was completely designed around not having long term consequences so no one gave a poo poo. Sad, but that's how big two books work now.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

That might have been the last time I read about Gravity. Certainly the last time his cool Indian girlfriend was mentioned as I recall.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Gravity was brought back to life in Mark Millar's Fantastic Four and showed up in Sean McKeever's extremely short-lived Young Allies.

Looking it up he's been in nothing since the end of Gillen's Young Avengers.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Splint Chesthair posted:

Sure, and I hope I didn’t come off as being a pedantic dick there, lol.

Not at all, it was a mistake that needed correcting.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Blockhouse posted:

Gravity was brought back to life in Mark Millar's Fantastic Four and showed up in Sean McKeever's extremely short-lived Young Allies.

Looking it up he's been in nothing since the end of Gillen's Young Avengers.

I thought it was McDuffie's run? That'd make more sense and it was right before Millar's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Okay I spent the morning and afternoon slogging through the current Amazing Spider-Man run.

All the hints and flashbacks they drop, from Peter focusing on MJs ringless hand early on, to the OMD references, to Kindred saying what happened to him is Peter's fault. And Peter planning to propose in there. If Spencer ever gets to wrap this poo poo up I'd say the speculation is right and Kindred is the original Harry Osborn who died and went to hell and the one we saw post OMD had to be some manner of magic fuckery. Unless this is some major misdirection I don't see how they aren't planning to undo the OMD spell/deal.