Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019
I usually use kosher salt for most things i cook. Would kosher salt work if i wanted to smoke some? How long do you normally smoke it for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Didn’t smoke it myself but have some mesquite smoked salt which is great, so that’s another flavor to consider making.

Grandito
Sep 6, 2008
How do you guys treat your leftover brisket? I'm doing one this weekend but it's just me and the wife, so we want to eat it all week without getting too tired of it. Chopped and in sandwiches mostly?

For the very best storage and re-heating, I've found it works best to vacuum seal big pieces and freeze them, then reheat in a hot water bath when it's time to eat it again. It stays moist and tastes almost like fresh. That's good for pulling out on a bad weather weekend, but too much of a pain to use as day to day leftovers.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Someone here told me the pro move of putting it in chili.

But also might I recommend in an egg sandwich. Brisket egg and cheese? Or breakfast burrito?

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

ZombieCrew posted:

I usually use kosher salt for most things i cook. Would kosher salt work if i wanted to smoke some? How long do you normally smoke it for?

Steven Raichlen’s Barbecue Sauces, Rubs, and Marinades (knew I’d read about smoking salt before and forgot where so checked in one of my cookbooks) says sea or kosher salt, so coarse either way, but in a smoker at 250F, 4-6 hours is what the recipe says. On a charcoal kettle, it’s 30-40 minutes on indirect.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Grandito posted:

How do you guys treat your leftover brisket? I'm doing one this weekend but it's just me and the wife, so we want to eat it all week without getting too tired of it. Chopped and in sandwiches mostly?

For the very best storage and re-heating, I've found it works best to vacuum seal big pieces and freeze them, then reheat in a hot water bath when it's time to eat it again. It stays moist and tastes almost like fresh. That's good for pulling out on a bad weather weekend, but too much of a pain to use as day to day leftovers.

Yeah, chili is a pro move. Breakfast tacos, omelettes also good. Cubes and put in fried rice is great.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
Chili, tacos, sandwiches. Ramen is my favorite. Any soup at that

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

life is killing me posted:

That’s something I wonder about—do you just have to work fast to get the flavoring in so the salt doesn’t dissolve? Smoked sriracha salt sounds pretty nice

I just mixed it in a bowl, it didn't dissolve the salt. It is pretty course sea salt. If it was table salt I could see that maybe being an issue.

ZombieCrew posted:

You should be able to smoke regular table salt but as stated above you probably want to avoid using liquid flavorings to early/long as they might dissolve the table salt.

As for temp I just put the trays in with whatever I was smoking at the time. Make sure to put the trays ABOVE anything else so you don't get fat dripping into it. When I would check on hte meat I would stir the salt around a bit. I pulled the Siracha ones a little early because i didn't want it to turn super dark but the other ones I just left in for a few hours.

Trastion fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Feb 26, 2021

User Error
Aug 31, 2006
I just put a massive bone in pork butt on the ugly drum smoker using this recipe:
https://amazingribs.com/tested-recipes/pork-recipes/competition-pork-butt-recipe-cool-smoke-style

I've got high hopes but I feel naked, deviating from my tried and true Memphis Dust based recipe.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Speaking of Memphis Dust, I'm taking advantage of the weather today and threw on 2 butts and 2 racks. Also threw a tray of coarse kosher salt on to see how that turns out.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Canuckistan posted:

Just kick it off the back of the truck. It'll bounce, right?

Once it bounces a couple times (or once) it will then be easily transported in smaller more manageable pieces.

Costco report: They had 2-packs of already reasonably priced pork shoulders for $4.50 off per pack.

User Error
Aug 31, 2006
gently caress yeah leftovers

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Doom Rooster posted:

What’s your budget, and how big do you want it?

Sorry I never answered this, life happened and I never checked up on the post!

Budget is maybe 1k max although I'm not dead set on that number if paying a little more gets me a lot more quality.

Size I'm not sure about, just bigger than I have now which is roughly 400 in sq.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

User Error posted:

gently caress yeah leftovers

I cleaned up my chest freezer and found vac-sealed BBQ going back to 2010. I've got about 40 lbs of pulled pork and 1 meatloaf ready to go.

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.
Just seasoned up my smoker with a block of lard and cleaned up a couple of spots where moisture has done it's thing ready for the year now... Can't wait to get this thing running regularly again for the year.

Winter sucks.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Olpainless posted:

Just seasoned up my smoker with a block of lard and cleaned up a couple of spots where moisture has done it's thing ready for the year now... Can't wait to get this thing running regularly again for the year.

Winter sucks.

I used mine for the first time in awhile just before the big freeze of the century hit North Texas, and it felt good. Now I’m convincing my wife we need to stock up on pork and beef. I told her I’d like to smoke a brisket next, which I’ve never done but like the potential versatility of use outside the usual way we eat it (someone in this thread or the GQ thread mentioned tossing some chopped brisket into chili and my mouth watered). And I wanna smoke some salt still. I may do that this weekend. Now all there is is to figure out how to do a brisket in my tiny electric smoker.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Infinite Karma posted:

The Louisiana Grills version of the BGE XL (24" size) sells at Costco every spring/summer for $500-$600. I think the BGE brand one is over 2 grand, and they're close to identical.

msrp on the xl bge is like 1250 but doesnt include nest.

ive bought 3 used BGEs for 400-500 but it's really dependent on your local craigslist or FB marketplace if you're looking for a used one.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 minutes!
Gonna smoke some Chuck roll this week.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

BraveUlysses posted:

ive bought 3 used BGEs for 400-500

What the gently caress? I can barely find em under 900 used. People think their poo poo is gold lined or something.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
I dont know if it's frowned upon in this thread, but I'm looking for a new gas grill but can't decide between (7mm) stainless steel and enameled cast iron grates. The two Webers (weber spirit e330 vs sp335) I'm looking at are very closely matched, but I don't know in which direction to proceed.

I use cast iron pans a lot, and I'm willing to season, but didn't know if yall had experience with this. I do live in a somewhat humid climate, but I hear the biggest difference is stainless won't rust and is easier to clean and takes less time to heat up. If one has a significant advantage over the other, I might lean that way but it's probably just a toss up.

My gut tells me cast iron

Planet X fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Mar 1, 2021

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Planet X posted:

I dont know if it's frowned upon in this thread, but I'm looking for a new gas grill but can't decide between (7mm) stainless steel and enameled cast iron grates. The two Webers (weber spirit e330 vs sp335) I'm looking at are very closely matched, but I don't know in which direction to proceed.

I use cast iron pans a lot, and I'm willing to season, but didn't know if yall had experience with this. I do live in a somewhat humid climate, but I hear the biggest difference is stainless won't rust and is easier to clean and takes less time to heat up. If one has a significant advantage over the other, I might lean that way but it's probably just a toss up.

I can't talk to gas because I don't like the DEVILS FARTS (I don't have money for charcoal and gas) but I do have lots of stainless and cast iron. I find it much easier to keep cast iron nonstick than stainless. I also find it very limiting to start using stainless by using room temp food and even then it's not particularly successful, even with a hot oiled pan. Maybe I don't use enough oil, I don't know. Cleaning is pretty care free when I use cast iron as I know I won't hurt it as long as I'm not using brillo or scotch brite pads. There are times where you don't want your pan to be hot for 10 minutes after applying heat where stainless comes in handy. Flipping in a cast iron is a non existent technique due to weight and shape.

Edit I'm dumb and thought you meant pans. A lot to the info still applies though.

um excuse me fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Mar 2, 2021

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Planet X posted:

100% would avoid stainless. It shouldn’t rust but I’ve seen it happen, and yeah to the other poster’s point, you can’t really expect stainless not to stick even with a good bit of oil. I cook with stainless pans sometimes but I generally avoid it in favor of nonstick pans (not Teflon, gently caress Teflon coated pans) or cast iron.

Cast iron grates will definitely be tougher to keep clean, pumice bars help to that end and will conform to the grates when you use them enough, but leave a good bit of dust. Just scrape the grates (too bad they aren’t easier to deglaze) with a pumice bar or a scratch pad and then oil them up, should be fine and not rust even in your humid environment as long as you keep them oiled.

You could also look into these: GrillGrates

You can buy them pre-cut but I believe you can also get them custom-cut to order to fit your grill, and they are conducive to burning wood chips if you want some smoke flavor with your normal grilling.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

enameled cast iron shouldn’t expose the cast iron unless you chip it really badly, right? you won’t have to season it or anything and it’ll hold heat really well, like a le creuset casserole or similar

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

You will immediately have chips in it.

I’ve had both and I prefer stainless.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Subjunctive posted:

enameled cast iron shouldn’t expose the cast iron unless you chip it really badly, right? you won’t have to season it or anything and it’ll hold heat really well, like a le creuset casserole or similar

E: wait this is the grill thread, enameled cast iron grill grates are gonna chip off nearly instantly in my experience.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
Thanks. I think I'm going to go with the cast iron only because it's cheaper and I can put that money towards getting replacement or sit on top grates. Any other opinions welcome, though, I'm not going to pick one up for a few weeks still.

Since this is technically the slow smoking meat thread be advised I am gonna smoke some salmon in my little weber go-anywhere grill this year though

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
I will also be purchasing a new gas-farting Weber this spring, and will also be going with cast iron grates.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

um excuse me posted:

What the gently caress? I can barely find em under 900 used. People think their poo poo is gold lined or something.

well i bought my medium in 2009, from a dealer who took it in on a trade in on a bigger one. 300 bucks!

second one was a large? in 2010 i think? bought from a family who won it in a radio contest and never used it more than 3-4 times. 400 or 500

2012, third one was a large, demo unit from the same dealer i got #1 from, 500 bucks.

and after that one was stolen i bought a new XL from a dealer in Portland who does an unofficial sale every christmas season, think i got that one for about 1080 (tax free) with nest but had to buy plate setter separately.

now it's too big to steal and safely located in a custom table which means i can't knock it over

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
I'm seriously considering a Kamado Joe Classic II and can't believe I'm going to be spending this much on a grill/smoker. I live in Tamba Bay and nothing lasts outside here, so I'm either going to get something incredibly cheap and replace it often of something that will last.

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

Used a smoke box filled with oak to reverse-sear some ny strips. A bit too smoky. Anyone have thoughts on steak and smoke?

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

Flowers for QAnon posted:

Used a smoke box filled with oak to reverse-sear some ny strips. A bit too smoky. Anyone have thoughts on steak and smoke?

Usually the cause is either dirty combustion or too high of a temp. What was the smoke like coming out of your smoke box? You want thin, wispy smoke, not billowing gray clouds.

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

dy. posted:

Usually the cause is either dirty combustion or too high of a temp. What was the smoke like coming out of your smoke box? You want thin, wispy smoke, not billowing gray clouds.

The smoke looked good, I’m thinking maybe oak was just too strong of wood? Ambient was 220, box was directly on top of a burner at 50% strength. Is still tasted good, but a lot of the nuance of the meat was overshadowed.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Oak is a pretty mellow smoke comparitively, so I am not sure that is your culprit.

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

Bluedeanie posted:

Oak is a pretty mellow smoke comparitively, so I am not sure that is your culprit.

Are there any ways to determine if it was too hot other than grey smoke clouds? What should the wood look like after? (This is my first time trying to smoke)

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

The smoke looked good, I’m thinking maybe oak was just too strong of wood? Ambient was 220, box was directly on top of a burner at 50% strength. Is still tasted good, but a lot of the nuance of the meat was overshadowed.
Were you using chips? They generally produce more smoke for a shorter time. You could try switching to chunks.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Are there any ways to determine if it was too hot other than grey smoke clouds? What should the wood look like after? (This is my first time trying to smoke)

Depends on what you are using...I use chips and it's charred and blackened, basically charcoaled

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

life is killing me posted:

Depends on what you are using...I use chips and it's charred and blackened, basically charcoaled

They were chips, they looked mostly charcoaled, but there were some white spots (size of a quarter) - would at indicate some combustion?

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

They were chips, they looked mostly charcoaled, but there were some white spots (size of a quarter) - would at indicate some combustion?

Well yeah it’s burning, if that’s what you’re trying to figure out. You want “blue” smoke—barely should visible if I remember right. I could be wrong about poo poo because I haven’t been smoking long, myself

e: I think about cooking on a charcoal grill—it’s [i]hot/i[] hot when it’s white all over. So perhaps it’s an indication it’s too hot. I have an electric smoker that doesn’t go up to 300F, and my wood chips get a little white, but it’s mostly charred black and then breaks down.

life is killing me fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Mar 5, 2021

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
When smoking on a charcoal grill you really want to limit the amount of oxygen getting in to keep the wood from igniting. I usually have the vents just about closed tight.

FWIW I usually smoke steaks with oak followed by a reverse sear. The smoke is typically pretty mild to the point that even my young children think it tastes good and they hate anything with flavor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

Just threw 2 butts on my 18.5 WSM.

My signals/billows decided it needed a firmware update which took an hour of fiddling to accomplish but now there is a share live cook feature.

https://cloud.thermoworks.com/shared/wOzjY9x1Ql74FLBqczg6

Both were still slightly frozen in the middle which isn't ideal but we'll see how they turn out.