Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Phenotype posted:

I never knew that about the Bozja CEs, I always thought they just popped after the FATEs sometimes. There's no real reason for anyone to be hunting down particular CEs though except for Castrum though, so it's not surprising that's such a little-known mechanic. It's another thing that seems better fleshed-out in Eureka -- some of the FATEs can only spawn in particular weather conditions, some of them drop rare items and equipment, some of them drop reagents that you need to upgrade your relic, the higher-level ones give more and more crystals and lockboxes, and all of them have a cooldown timer so you can't just hit the most lucrative one over and over.

Is there anything you get from specific CEs in Bozja? I guess the duel achievement?

there's a handful of CEs in the northern area that are the exclusive source of banner fragments, which are Pretty Cool

and of course there's the lore pages that drop from certain skirmishes and CEs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
There's also one CE in the third zone that has a pretty interesting mechanic regarding blind+gaze.

AngusPodgorny
Jun 3, 2004

Please to be restful, it is only a puffin that has from the puffin place outbroken.

Chomposaur posted:

I didn't have the Eureka experience but I don't find this to be true in Bozja -- grinding clusters is a super chill experience where you can just have someone flip on bloodsucker and hang out blasting your AE, whereas FATEs are this really fragmented experience that constantly demands your attention figuring out where to go next, race to make it in time, oops you got aggroed and you can't port, etc.
Original Eureka grinding involved monsters that were both dangerous and had a file of health, so you'd have a full group needing to pay attention for like a minutes fighting a single monster. And the good results came from the chain bonuses, so you had to keep it up for 30 in a row without a break. People yelling for a revive would get ignored because someone breaking off to go revive might cause the group to slow down enough to break the chain.

After a while, SE decided to just let people solo and introduced challenge log rewards, making it far more casual. So it's really necessary to know which Eureka people are talking about.

Bozja cluster farming is more like current Eureka than original Eureka, since you can just grab a pile of III monsters whenever convenient and aoe them down. Maybe even split up the group to hit two areas at once. When I'm between FATEs/CEs, I'll even just go grab a III and solo it while the rest of the group does whatever they want.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Do you not do anything past normal modes? Weird post....

Bosses and hard content is fine I guess but all the grinding you have to do to get to them is so boring

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

Senator Drinksalot posted:

Bosses and hard content is fine I guess but all the grinding you have to do to get to them is so boring

There’s like zero grind to get to end game in FFXIV, you can buy pentameldable 515 gear that is better than the normal raid drops and even a lot of the token stuff. The gearing process is honestly kinda too easy sometimes.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

the grind of clearing the normal fight once

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

I was talking more about the level grind. That's why I like this game it has a deep narrative to wash that down easier. I don't think I could ever play WoW ever again or even try out GW2

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

if you don't want to do particular content then don't do it, of course. I expect never to zone into bozja and that's fine. that said, the level grind? if you're doing normals you're already level capped. hell, if you're already doing the story, you're level capped

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

That's exactly what I meant

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

I bounced really hard off of Eureka when it was current, but I love Bozja. I guess the big difference for me was that Eureka the two times I tried it was 95% standing around waiting with the giant FATE train for the next FATE to spawn. It was boring as heck. Also there was the utterly annoying elemental board system or whatever it was called. It added nothing and only served to punish you for forgetting it.

The CEs in Bozja make a big difference. Castrum and DR are great too now that the rewards have been fixed.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis

Phenotype posted:

I never knew that about the Bozja CEs, I always thought they just popped after the FATEs sometimes. There's no real reason for anyone to be hunting down particular CEs though except for Castrum though, so it's not surprising that's such a little-known mechanic. It's another thing that seems better fleshed-out in Eureka -- some of the FATEs can only spawn in particular weather conditions, some of them drop rare items and equipment, some of them drop reagents that you need to upgrade your relic, the higher-level ones give more and more crystals and lockboxes, and all of them have a cooldown timer so you can't just hit the most lucrative one over and over.

Is there anything you get from specific CEs in Bozja? I guess the duel achievement?

Besides duels, if you care about lore field notes only drop if said person is involved in said CE. For example Dabog is either the duel(?) or a couple CEs where he's piloting a machine.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Thumbtacks posted:

Finally got to the relic step where I have to do StB fates. Am I going to absolutely hate this?

They upped the rate. Not great (I think reported average is 3-4 an hour) but enough that you can get streaks and since you need a finite amount only one streak can take a large chunk off. I went from 3 to 18 of the ones in Yanxia over a couple of hours in a bizarre stroke of luck.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

GuyUpNorth posted:

Besides duels, if you care about lore field notes only drop if said person is involved in said CE. For example Dabog is either the duel(?) or a couple CEs where he's piloting a machine.

I have been trying to get Dyunbu's notes since a week into .35. Maddening.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Ironslave posted:

I have been trying to get Dyunbu's notes since a week into .35. Maddening.
I think that one actually only drops from For Absent Friends, the one that ultimately leads to the Metal Fox Chaos CE in the north area.

It definitely is rough trying to seek out that specific fate, and took me a while.

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
I’m still trying for the *sword of the south* title. That’s gonna keep me in bozja for a while yet.

Beat Lyon a couple days ago! Gabriel messes with me though, and I just haven’t gotten that many stabs at sartevoir.

I mean, part of it is I can beat red choctober with any kind of regularity so I would often be the ONLY one eligible for the Lyon duel.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

Martman posted:

I think that one actually only drops from For Absent Friends, the one that ultimately leads to the Metal Fox Chaos CE in the north area.

It definitely is rough trying to seek out that specific fate, and took me a while.

Yeah. The issue is that the fate rarely spawns, and when it does it usually melts in seconds, and even if you manage gold it's not a high chance of a drop. It's infuriating.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

M.c.P posted:

I’m still trying for the *sword of the south* title. That’s gonna keep me in bozja for a while yet.

Beat Lyon a couple days ago! Gabriel messes with me though, and I just haven’t gotten that many stabs at sartevoir.

I mean, part of it is I can beat red choctober with any kind of regularity so I would often be the ONLY one eligible for the Lyon duel.
Luckily Lyon is almost definitely the hardest one. Sartauvoir is actually super easy except for basically two mechanics, and gives a ton of time to do free DPS.

funkmeister
Feb 20, 2010

About your father. If it's any help, he's in the ground now. Sure, it's bad news for him. But on the other hand, it's party time for all those little worms.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8aS43vOSUU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Is that spokeswoman from something? I don't recognize her but something about the way she slides into those commercials feels like I should.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Looking swole, Dark Knight

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

very proud of my pugil kill

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Vitamean posted:

very proud of my pugil kill

you gotta watch those pugils, man. there's no end to them in brayflox

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

Gotta post the best one which features lesbians and Estinien

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-lsLrRTCh0

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emVE9cTIyzQ

Sauerkraut is gross and I'm disgusted with marketing propagating it tasting good

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

if you are at my party and you ask for sauerkraut you will be asked to leave

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

can you get more than 2 retainers without spending real money?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Rosalind posted:

I mean did you see the one on the left looked at Estinien? Calling them lesbians is bi erasure. :colbert:

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

A Moose posted:

can you get more than 2 retainers without spending real money?

no

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
I want to just play samurai and ninja for the rest of my life

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

But chances are you wont really need to

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

You don't truly need more than two retainers to play the game but honestly i don't know what I'd do with so little inventory space.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
yeah you just gotta purge your inventories every now and then. Check prices, anything under 1k gil's gotta go!

also oh gently caress oh no! I just started the first stage post skysung fishing pole upgrade, I don't have near enough inventory for this many collectables!

also I have a locked duty that I see every now and then in PF and I can't for the life of me figure out what it is? Is it TEA? It's clearly difficult cause it's always in the private party tab

and these giant tank only fish are kinda cute but goddamn do I wish I could stuff em and mount em on my wall

hazardousmouse fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Mar 5, 2021

Raised By Birds
May 5, 2013

hazardousmouse posted:

also oh gently caress oh no! I just started the first stage post skysung fishing pole upgrade, I don't have near enough inventory for this many collectables!

My experience with the final fishing relic was "fish, fish, fish, fish, teleport->Foundation, hand in fish, teleport->Helix, repeat."

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
at least we can get trickle points from the NQ fish instead of just chucking em like the previous stages. feels better to always be casting instead of sitting around waiting for GP to recharge

also takes some of the edge off when you get no collectables during Patience

also I have an excuse to spend time at the Pappus tree now, the best spot in the game

hazardousmouse fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Mar 5, 2021

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

Rosalind posted:

“In final fantasy 14 you actually do stuff” is a box quote if I’ve ever heard one

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Phenotype posted:

It's honestly mostly relevant if you are trying for the duels, since if you know how to spawn the 3 fates that lead to the duel CEs you can target them faster.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Senator Drinksalot posted:

I was talking more about the level grind. That's why I like this game it has a deep narrative to wash that down easier. I don't think I could ever play WoW ever again or even try out GW2

Guild Wars 2 actually levels you up super fast relative to story progress last I played. It's just that (like most MMOs) trying out a new class means creating a new character.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

FF14: "Not a box full of random junk"

edit: replaced with more relevant thinking emoji

Raised By Birds
May 5, 2013

bewilderment posted:

It's just that (like most MMOs) trying out a new class means creating a new character.

Each character being able to pick up every job is such a nice feature, one that at this point I sometimes forget is unusual for MMOs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

yeah when i started i got the full priced sub because in prior mmos i would have a bunch of alts for different classes so obviously i would have alts in this game too

i actually just switched that to the cheap sub fairly recently and used the $2 to get a 3rd retainer instead