Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Weavered posted:

What happens at the moment? Do European women appear as advisors or do the Americans have to dress as a man to break the glass ceiling?
You get pictures of European women. Right from 1444 if you luck into one at the start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I know they wont but I wish theyd use historic art for that kind of thing instead of in-house portraits. Same for stuff like loading screens and music.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
They want consistent quality and style. Hearts of Iron 2 used real photos, Europa Universalis 2 and Victoria 1 used era-appropriate existing music (such as FALALALAN). It was all disjointed and inconsistent, very distracting.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

put it on the eu5 list

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

ilitarist posted:

They want consistent quality and style. Hearts of Iron 2 used real photos, Europa Universalis 2 and Victoria 1 used era-appropriate existing music (such as FALALALAN). It was all disjointed and inconsistent, very distracting.

I much preferred it and didn't find it distracting at all.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I much preferred it and didn't find it distracting at all.

It certainly wasn't less distracting than having DDRJake or Johan show up on event pictures.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

You have to be in the know to realize that those aren't just generic characters. I remember it best with music, Victoria 1 had great classical music. But of course they took existing recordings and it was very noticeable that all the music was done at different times with different orchestras and recording technologies. With images I guess it's easier to apply some sort of normalization and filter, but you still have the issue of texture and characters.

Then what should paradox do when they create a generic pack of advisors based on real art and then they want to add Native Americans? Should they use Native art? Should they hire an artist who would emulate Rembrandt, Bosch, and whoever else they use for European portraits?

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Give artists work imo

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
As someone who got paid for making EU4 advisor portraits, agree.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
they should just make new advisors that only have european portraits and add another $5 dlc that adds culture groups to that. they love to nickel and dime us as it is.

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

While new advisors could be cool I really don't want to spend more time/ducats to get a correct culture/religion advisor.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
lmao

I've been giggling to myself about French Orthodox the last day or so because I have been converting all of France and now it's basically done except for a province that is busy being worked on by something else.

edit - also, the Aegean sea is just an amazing place to build a navy. There are 12 provinces that have their port in the Aegean.

edit2 - Oh hey, I just counted and the Gulf of Venice as 13 provinces that have their port in it.

TMMadman fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Mar 4, 2021

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I take pleasure in hiring wrong-religion inquisitors and using their bonus to convert their coreligionists to my faith

Jay Rust posted:

Give artists work imo

This has me chuckling remembering that HoI has ensured some artist somewhere has "triumphant-looking Hitler portrait" in their professional portfolio

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Torrannor posted:

Where does the thread title come from?
I think it was three halloweens ago the EU4 thread title was changed to something halloween themed and hadnt been chanced since, so I PM'd a mod to ask that they change it and this is what we ended up with.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
When Leviathan gets released, the thread title should be EU4: Leviathan: It's like Leviathan in Stellaris, but completely different

Also, I know it's the title of a book, but it really seems kind of weird that an update that is supposedly focused on 'smaller, more focused' nations has a name that evokes the image of a large monster.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

The logic is sound. Leviathan in question is supposed to be united monolithic state larger than any person, not a big blob on a map. So it's about cebtralization, beuracracy and so on. Naturally smaller states are supposed to be more effective at this. But emotionally it doesn't quite work, yes.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Then again this is also the patch that adds stateless societies :shrug:

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

TMMadman posted:

When Leviathan gets released, the thread title should be EU4: Leviathan: It's like Leviathan in Stellaris, but completely different.

I dunno, I'd be inclined to go with EU4: Leviathan - Exactly the same as Stellaris: Leviathans

alternatively,

Europa Universalis 4: Leviathan - Stellaris meets Calvin and Hobbes

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Davincie posted:

But this is all for the best. I think best Paradox expansions are just a set of features with no specific goal. When they add a killer feature it either gets blown out of proportion or is quickly forgotten. Like Victoria 2 A House Divided added a start date no one plays, CK2 Reaper's Due added pandemic and we all know pandemics can't be as important as they are portrayed in the game (seriously though, you get more events for plague than for any other topic in the game), and the less said about Monks and Mystics the better.

Russia and England mini-expansions were fine though. Maybe because small.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

the title should not include stellaris since eu4 is good and stellaris is not

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

oddium posted:

the title should not include stellaris since eu4 is good and stellaris is not
Yes, the only title which should feature Stellaris is the Stellaris thread. Stellaris - It's like Stellaris, but in space

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
it's doing people a massive disservice to compare eu4 to the dry turd that is a 4x game

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Larry Parrish posted:

it's doing people a massive disservice to compare eu4 to the dry turd that is a 4x game

I've poured hundreds of hours into Stellaris, and I still don't fully care for it.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Man that giant coalition is really putting a damper on my expansion. I decided against attacking Spain and Venice as I didn't want the coalition to declare on me in the middle of it, so of course they ended up joining it. And then the Mamluks joined when their peace treaty with me ended.

I did manage to peel great Britain and Scandinavia from it and then allied with them. Plus I also allied with Ming and Makuria. My diplo points are taking a serious hit because I'm way over the relationship limit, but if it prevents a coalition war then it'll be worth it.

I also managed to peel off a couple of 4-5 province HRE nations. I've been going crazy using great power influence and giving gifts to a bunch of the OPM HRE nations. I figured out that the AE penalty doesn't really matter if you can get a nation up to +50 relationship and they specifically set your attitude towards that nation as friendly. Once that happens, they will leave the coalition after a month or so even if their AE penalty is still around -50.

I'm not sure the Mamluks will ever leave the coalition because their AE penalty towards me was well over -500 last I checked. Spain is in a similar position. But if the coalition ever gets down to just the Mamluks and Spain, I'll just destroy it.

Now that I have England and Scandinavia on my side I almost kind of want someone to call a coalition war on me just to destroy it. I know I could completely roll the entire HRE and Spain separately and I'm pretty sure I could take the entire coalition by bltizing most of the HRE and the Mamluks/Hassa before moving the majority of my forces to Spain. But it would be such a slog to do it.

TMMadman fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Mar 5, 2021

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Davincie posted:

I would love to see them expand this system to the Eurasian steppe (in some way that does not create Long Bohemia)

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

TMMadman posted:

Now that I have England and Scandinavia on my side I almost kind of want someone to call a coalition war on me just to destroy it. I know I could completely roll the entire HRE and Spain separately and I'm pretty sure I could take the entire coalition by bltizing most of the HRE and the Mamluks/Hassa before moving the majority of my forces to Spain. But it would be such a slog to do it.

I'm not sure if the AI knows that allying England doesn't actually mean they'll show up for a fight, but they should.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

THE BAR posted:

I'm not sure if the AI knows that allying England doesn't actually mean they'll show up for a fight, but they should.
I've had a lot of success getting England to show up, both for and against me. It's working so much better than it used to.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

THE BAR posted:

I've got 400k troops just by myself. And my PU France has somehere around 150k troops plus the 70k or so from my other big PU Imereti. Getting England on my side was less about needing their help and more about ensuring they didn't rejoin the coalition. Although having their massive navy control the English Channel and maybe cause trouble around the northern coast of the Iberian peninsula would also certainly help.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Poil posted:

I've had a lot of success getting England to show up, both for and against me. It's working so much better than it used to.

I tend to have terrible luck with getting them to help me, whenever I ally a coloniser. England feels especially prone to forgetting there's a mainland as well.

TMMadman posted:

I've got 400k troops just by myself. And my PU France has somehere around 150k troops plus the 70k or so from my other big PU Imereti. Getting England on my side was less about needing their help and more about ensuring they didn't rejoin the coalition. Although having their massive navy control the English Channel and maybe cause trouble around the northern coast of the Iberian peninsula would also certainly help.

It's certainly a good idea for making the AI think you're stronger than you are, but I'd never ally a country like Spain or England if I'm not strong enough to handle any foolishness they'll throw themselves (and calling you) into. You're way past that point, so yeah, go ahead.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I like Stellaris more than EUIV.

ilitarist posted:

But this is all for the best. I think best Paradox expansions are just a set of features with no specific goal. When they add a killer feature it either gets blown out of proportion or is quickly forgotten. Like Victoria 2 A House Divided added a start date no one plays, CK2 Reaper's Due added pandemic and we all know pandemics can't be as important as they are portrayed in the game (seriously though, you get more events for plague than for any other topic in the game), and the less said about Monks and Mystics the better.

Russia and England mini-expansions were fine though. Maybe because small.

I will not hear a bad word about a DLC that enables your court physician to cut of your balls to cure cancer :colbert:

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

THE BAR posted:

I tend to have terrible luck with getting them to help me, whenever I ally a coloniser. England feels especially prone to forgetting there's a mainland as well.

It's certainly a good idea for making the AI think you're stronger than you are, but I'd never ally a country like Spain or England if I'm not strong enough to handle any foolishness they'll throw themselves (and calling you) into. You're way past that point, so yeah, go ahead.

I'll likely just turn off the option to be called into an offensive war in a few months or so. I think I turned it off already for Ming because I got a notice that they were preparing to attack someone and I turned if off for Poland not too long after the coalition was formed. I don't know if the computer considers the things like trust/favors when asking you to join a war, but if they want to leave the alliance just because I won't join an offensive war for a while then they can take the hit for canceling it.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Torrannor posted:

I will not hear a bad word about a DLC that enables your court physician to cut of your balls to cure cancer :colbert:
Depends on where the cancer is located. :v:

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Like most CK things, that's funny the first few times but actually sucks when you realize that all there is is "lol the doc cut your balls off and Rurik lives in Burma now and is gay, so crazy"

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean people still seem to enjoy it and frankly wacky things happening is one of the games biggest selling points. I dont care for that stuff but it is what it is

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

skasion posted:

India games own

I started my first Timurids into Mughal run because of this post and like 50 years in Im already so absurdly powerful Jesus Christ

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The increasing amount of wacky events is exasperating when the games still need a lot of work on a fundamental level.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
And it will continue to increase as thats just what the game is now.

Though event making probably doesnt have much to do with whatever issue your talking about

CharlestheHammer fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Mar 5, 2021

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Okay, this should be illegal :v:

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Why? France historically fought against the Empire in the Thirty Year's War. It really wasn't about religion :ssh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Now look at the other tab I have open.