Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

One time, when I was young, I went for a ride wearing flip-flops. My foot slipped off the pedal and I managed to grind off most of my big toenail on the pavement before I could stop.

These things seem like a great way to relive my childhood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Yeah also getting a digit caught in a fixie drivetrain is much worse

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Your scientists were so preoccupied with whether they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

This reminds me, i've seen some instagram bikefluencers hawking SPD sandals lately, how are those any less dangerous than this? Just seems like anything with an open toe is a bad idea on a bike.

Biggus Duckus
Feb 13, 2012

What if I wear them with socks?

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Then you have the most appropriate avatar I've seen in awhile.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

toes are just dead weight for cycling

not even aero. disgusting

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

toes are just dead weight for cycling

not even aero. disgusting

nah toes are actually part of the key contact point between pedal and rider and thus vital for maximal power transfer

if anything it’s the rest of the foot that’s dead weight

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Yesterday's commute home featured a trip around the mtb trails on campus, and my left foot slipped backwards off my pedal - away from my strapless toeclip - and my shin slammed into the back of the pedal. The pedals are steel and have many pointy spiky things on both surfaces and I chewed up my shin a bit (bloody legs after a bike ride just looks cool, though, right?). So maybe I'm starting to see the appeal of the special shoes so many of you wear....

And after last night, this just makes me itchy, like, all over. Gaaaah!

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game

frogbs posted:

This reminds me, i've seen some instagram bikefluencers hawking SPD sandals lately, how are those any less dangerous than this? Just seems like anything with an open toe is a bad idea on a bike.

I'm gonna come crashing in to this thread every time spd sandals come up just to make sure everyone knows how amazing they are. They're amazing. That is all.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Crumps Brother posted:

I'm gonna come crashing in to this thread every time spd sandals come up just to make sure everyone knows how amazing they are. They're amazing. That is all.

How many toes were you born with and how many do you have now?

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

sounds better than a busted hip because you forgot to unclip at a stop

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game

frogbs posted:

How many toes were you born with and how many do you have now?
Feel free to count 'em yourself.

I used to have a pair of Keen Commuters many years ago, but cleat placement was a bit off with those and the Shimano sandals are absolutely killer. I jumped on them immediately when they got reissued. Nashbar also make (or at least used to) spd sandals which I've heard good things about too.

Crumps Brother fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Mar 5, 2021

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Crumps Brother posted:

A truly cursed image

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits
Edit: don't mind me I'm dumb

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

while i do not own SPD sandals i fully approve of SPD sandals

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Let me know when the 3 bolt sandals come out.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

meltie posted:

well don't leave us hanging, show us your hubs!

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Crumps Brother posted:

I used to have a pair of Keen Commuters many years ago, but cleat placement was a bit off with those and the Shimano sandals are absolutely killer. I jumped on them immediately when they got reissued. Nashbar also make (or at least used to) spd sandals which I've heard good things about too.

Joking aside, have you found that you've scuffed your feet at all? I just can't imagine that not happening from time to time, especially with the ones that are open at the front!

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
what advantages do spd sandals offer

mystes
May 31, 2006

Levitate posted:

They make you That Guy.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Levitate posted:

yes

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY

Levitate posted:

people see more of your socks when you wear them

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Well played, nice hubs.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Levitate posted:

You have been visited by the ghost of Sheldon Brown. Share this post with five of your friends or you will lose a toe on your next ride

Havana Affair
Apr 6, 2009
While I don't own spd sandals (yet) I can say that birkenstocks and flats are also a winning combination.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I rode in SPD sandals when doing the C&O and GAP trails a couple years ago. The inside part of my left big toe went numb and took months to regain most feeling.

I’d do it again. Breezy.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Double post but I would like to go on record to say that Supacaz Supalite bottle cages suck rear end. I got them for $10 each on a Black Friday sale and still feel like I over paid.

The bottle and cage interface is noisy, they’re flimsy, the screws they come with are made of cheese, and the rubber piece designed to add some friction winds up falling off because bolt puts too big of a hole through it.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
their poly fly and carbon cages are dece

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

e.pilot posted:

their poly fly and carbon cages are dece

I wound up ordering some Tacx Ciro cages. They look to be pretty stout without being too heavy (29g). Maybe I’ll save the Supalite for a climbing bike if I ever live somewhere with a sustained climb longer than 8 minutes.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
I've got no issues with their fly cages for normal use. They are not strong enough to hold a bottle on the underside of the downtube though. They used to make a poly tron side pull cage and that does work great for the third bottle.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game

Levitate posted:

They're absolutely comfy af. I'd wear them on any hot day where I was planning to walk around as much as bike. I have zero issues walking around in my XC7s, but the sandals are even better. One legit advantage they have though is dry feet. Never knew until it happened to me, but if you get caught in the rain then afterwards your feet will actually dry out. Again, I've ridden all day in wet socks before because sometimes that's how life goes. With sandals your feet are totally dry within 20 minutes.

frogbs posted:

Joking aside, have you found that you've scuffed your feet at all? I just can't imagine that not happening from time to time, especially with the ones that are open at the front!
It's not really an issue. That pic is right at the end of a week of ragbrai. A full week of sandal action everyday for 12-16 hours a day and not always sober as well. I even did the gravel loop wearing them. The biggest issue with them is sunburn. Don't forget to sunscreen your feet.

Crumps Brother fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Mar 5, 2021

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007
I can do twice the work in half the time

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

I wound up ordering some Tacx Ciro cages. They look to be pretty stout without being too heavy (29g). Maybe I’ll save the Supalite for a climbing bike if I ever live somewhere with a sustained climb longer than 8 minutes.

Tacx Ciro's are great. I use a pair on the gravel bike and bottles just don't move at all.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Bottle cages should be cute animals and match the theme of your bike :colbert:

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

What if my bike doesn't have a theme other than "bike"

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

What if my bike doesn't have a theme other than "bike"

get a theme

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

the theme is now owl, congratulations

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

the modern urban commuter

Adbot