Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!
Question for people who have read more day to day gaming news than I have in the past decade and a half or so:

Until former THQ Japan employee Justin Leeper started talking about it on social media, was there any coverage in English language (or even Japanese language) media of WWE going after Yuke's for publishing the SmackDown games (as Exciting Pro Wrestling) in Japan even though they had no license to do so? (Yuke's was the developer, but had no license to publish the game anywhere.) I haven't been able to find anything. I don't doubt that what Justin says is what happened, but that feels like a fairly big story to have been completely missed by everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

It's named after Moon: Remix RPG Adventure, Mutoh's favorite video game

Lazy like a Fox
Jul 8, 2003

EKO SMASH!
In a different thread someone mentioned that the Young Bucks never signed with WWE because they couldn't get a promise that they would never split up. Have they ever split up and feuded in any promotion?

Tangentially related- what's the longest a 2 member tag team has competed together without ever competing against each other?

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

davidbix posted:

Question for people who have read more day to day gaming news than I have in the past decade and a half or so:

Until former THQ Japan employee Justin Leeper started talking about it on social media, was there any coverage in English language (or even Japanese language) media of WWE going after Yuke's for publishing the SmackDown games (as Exciting Pro Wrestling) in Japan even though they had no license to do so? (Yuke's was the developer, but had no license to publish the game anywhere.) I haven't been able to find anything. I don't doubt that what Justin says is what happened, but that feels like a fairly big story to have been completely missed by everyone.

if anyone knows this it's probably jeff gerstmann over at giant bomb, as the intersection of being a big-names game journalist who actually gave a poo poo about wrestling games for a long time

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Lazy like a Fox posted:

In a different thread someone mentioned that the Young Bucks never signed with WWE because they couldn't get a promise that they would never split up. Have they ever split up and feuded in any promotion?

Tangentially related- what's the longest a 2 member tag team has competed together without ever competing against each other?

The only match I know of with Matt v Nick Jackson was on that special episode of BTE from the Buck compound.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

LionYeti posted:

The only match I know of with Matt v Nick Jackson was on that special episode of BTE from the Buck compound.

Were they ever in BOSJ and in the same block? That's the only other time I could even think it'd be possible, outside of maybe some other tournaments in PWG or something.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

LionYeti posted:

They've had 5 singles matches against each other.

Two in the Empire Wrestling Federation in 2008

One in the wXw 16 Carat Gold tournament in 2010

One in the 2010 Battle of Los Angeles for PWG

And then one for BTE in 2020

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Max and Jeremy Buck did a soft break-up "we both want the X Division belt" angle in TNA and it looks like a match on Impact and a match on Xplosion.

Matt/Max won both of them.

They also credit this with them deciding to leave TNA.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Edge & Christian posted:

Max and Jeremy Buck did a soft break-up "we both want the X Division belt" angle in TNA and it looks like a match on Impact and a match on Xplosion.

Matt/Max won both of them.

They also credit this with them deciding to leave TNA.

Ah, I'd missed those because Cagematch doesn't always consider Nick Jackson and Jeremy Buck to be the same person.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
Powerful Young Bucks energy.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Lazy like a Fox posted:

Road Warriors have to be up there. Even when they did the disgusting "Hawk is drunk" angle, they never did a Hawk vs Animal match.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Davros1 posted:

Road Warriors have to be up there. Even when they did the disgusting "Hawk is drunk" angle, they never did a Hawk vs Animal match.

Probably for the best. Animal was the shits and by that point, Hawk was no longer super athletic.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Have the super smash bros ever gone against each other?

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

TV Zombie posted:

Have the super smash bros ever gone against each other?

Fairly regularly according to cagematch.

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:
Steiner bros gotta be up there, I don't think they ever feuded?

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

a war boy standing alone in the desert blasting his mouth with cum from a dildo

Hirez posted:

Scott Steiner and Big Poppa Pump Scott Steiner were the same person

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

There might be some name changes (a la Max and Jeremy Buck) that are letting things slip through the cracks, but some long-standing tag teams I don't see any 1v1 matches between:

Sheepherders/Bushwackers
Wild Samoans
The Nasty Boys
The Good Brothers
The Usos
Heavy Machinery
The New Day* (Big E vs. Kofi and Big E vs Xavier both happened pre-New-Day, but Kofi & Xavier have never wrestled each other 1v1)
Buff Bagwell and Judy Bagwell
Braun Strowman and Nicholas
Santana and Ortiz wrestled once in Beyond circa 2016

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Hirez posted:

Didn't they feud for a bit after Scott turned and joined the nwo?

Lazy like a Fox
Jul 8, 2003

EKO SMASH!

Edge & Christian posted:

There might be some name changes (a la Max and Jeremy Buck) that are letting things slip through the cracks, but some long-standing tag teams I don't see any 1v1 matches between:

Sheepherders/Bushwackers
Wild Samoans
The Nasty Boys
The Good Brothers
The Usos
Heavy Machinery
The New Day* (Big E vs. Kofi and Big E vs Xavier both happened pre-New-Day, but Kofi & Xavier have never wrestled each other 1v1)
Buff Bagwell and Judy Bagwell
Santana and Ortiz wrestled once in Beyond circa 2016

I'm surprised that The Good Brothers never feuded with each other, based on WWE Creative's complete lack of... creativity. The Usos might end up feuding by the end of this Roman heel turn (I know Jey is backing Roman but hasn't Jimmy been injured?)

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:

pseudodragon posted:

Didn't they feud for a bit after Scott turned and joined the nwo?

yea you're right, I was having trouble picturing the dog faced gremlin cutting a promo, and woof...

fighting over buff, thats the good stuff

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Lazy like a Fox posted:

I'm surprised that The Good Brothers never feuded with each other, based on WWE Creative's complete lack of... creativity. The Usos might end up feuding by the end of this Roman heel turn (I know Jey is backing Roman but hasn't Jimmy been injured?)
With Gallows and Anderson I think the trick was to make sure Vince was never actually interested enough in you to actually bother to book you into a feud.

The Otis and Tucker thing is more funny because he reflexively broke them up but didn't even bother booking a breakup match.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

karmicknight posted:

Fairly regularly according to cagematch.

They feuded in C4, one of their regular Canadian indies.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
Did Bubba Ray ever face D-von after they went to WWE?

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

D-von was a priest and his second was Bautista. Why I know this? Unclear. Was it good? No.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Bubby and D-Von never wrestled each other in WWE, but they did repeatedy in both ECW and TNA and some Massachusetts indie fed.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Royal Updog posted:

D-von was a priest and his second was Bautista. Why I know this? Unclear. Was it good? No.

I remember everyone thinking it *would* be good, and then after the first week or two realizing they were going to do exactly jack poo poo with it.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Hirez posted:

yea you're right, I was having trouble picturing the dog faced gremlin cutting a promo, and woof...

I just couldn’t get enough

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Hirez posted:

I think the only promo that sucked as hard or harder then Rick Steiner in that era was Taz's

"Thug life born, thug life bred, and when the time is right, I'll be thug life dead!"

At least, "If you don't like me, bite me!" was much shorter.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

TheKingslayer posted:

I think the only promo that sucked as hard or harder then Rick Steiner in that era was Taz's

"Thug life born, thug life bred, and when the time is right, I'll be thug life dead!"

Didn't he pull the "nose nothing" joke on Lillian Garcia in a promo once? THUG LIFE

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Edge & Christian posted:

lmao

Iron Chef Nex
Jan 20, 2005
Serving up a hot buttered stabbing
Luke Williams and Butch Miller ( Kiwis -> Sheepherders -> Bushwackers) started teaming in 1964.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Is there a term for like, the bad guy version of the Ace of the company? Like when Hunter was on top in WWE for 10 years, or Flair in NWA/WCW. I feel like "company ace" should be a babyface most of the time. Even in a company that typically has faces on top - what would a guy like Edge have been called while Cena was ace?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Iron Chef Nex posted:

Luke Williams and Butch Miller ( Kiwis -> Sheepherders -> Bushwackers) started teaming in 1964.

Good lord.

Related watch only the Bushwackers for years and then watch the Sheepherders for a complete shock to the system. They’re like the Moondogs from the Southern Hemisphere.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
I didn’t realize the Bushwhackers were around that long. Good for them for transitioning to comedy guys though, probably added years to their careers.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Dawgstar posted:

Good lord.

Related watch only the Bushwackers for years and then watch the Sheepherders for a complete shock to the system. They’re like the Moondogs from the Southern Hemisphere.

There's a 1986 match against the Fantastics from the Sam Houston Coliseum where they hang Bobby Fulton with the tag rope. It's genuinely gruesome to watch. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKVYYb_zuwo

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Hellblazer187 posted:

Is there a term for like, the bad guy version of the Ace of the company? Like when Hunter was on top in WWE for 10 years, or Flair in NWA/WCW. I feel like "company ace" should be a babyface most of the time. Even in a company that typically has faces on top - what would a guy like Edge have been called while Cena was ace?

The rear end

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

Hellblazer187 posted:

Cornette referred to this as "the guy who works against the guys who draw money" but that's mostly only applicable to HHH and like, Orton

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Hellblazer187 posted:

the drat joker

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Ace of hearts and ace of spades. It's why Triple H had Motorhead do his music.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Lamuella posted:

Ace of hearts and ace of spades. It's why Triple H had Motorhead do his music.

I don't think this is actually it, but I kinda feel like it should be.