Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Don't worry too much about wearing a mask, we'll just photoshop it in later for the promo tweets

https://twitter.com/TaylorHaasePGH/status/1367275372212027394

If the upper picture is supposed the be the pre-photoshop image, I don't see these supposedly three photoshops? I only see a single one, with the lady with the red mask that gets pulled up over her nose.

edit: Oh wait, it's the couple that's under the gettyimages logo. A bit more subtle than the red mask.

ymgve fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Mar 4, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

The couple on the bottom right have it down and they photoshopped the mask to be covering their nose

The fat lady with the mask down taking a picture gets it photoshopped over her entire face

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

A bit of perspective from someone who works in the pharma industry. A vaccine that is 65% effective at reducing symptomatic cases/prevents 95%+ of hospitalisations after a single dose is a good vaccine. Everyone is extremely spoiled by the Pfizer/Moderna vaccines being effective to a level which is basically un-heard of and honestly it might have been better if they weren't the first vaccines approved because they set the standard so high.

Check out historical vaccine efficacy if you're curious, 65% effective with minimal side effects and a single dose is better than a lot of widely used vaccines.

Get your jabs people, you can always have a different vaccine later but right now stopping the pandemic is the priority.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

ymgve posted:

If the upper picture is supposed the be the pre-photoshop image, I don't see these supposedly three photoshops? I only see a single one, with the lady with the red mask that gets pulled up over her nose.

edit: Oh wait, it's the couple that's under the gettyimages logo. A bit more subtle than the red mask.

Top right, above Red Mask. She got straight cropped out.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Philthy posted:

Been out of the loop. The Johnson n Johnson vaccine is all over the news. However they keep saying its only 65% effective. When the vaccine race started they were all saying anything under 90% would be avoided. What changed? If I get offered the JJ should I deny till I can get one of the 95%+?

Re 65%:

Salt Fish posted:

The efficiency measured at 28 days, but at 49 days the 43,000 person trail had zero cases, zero hospitalizations and zero deaths and it was tested against the b117 mutation.

Get the vax ASAP J&J is good.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Salt Fish posted:

Re 65%:

Get the vax ASAP J&J is good.

Just so people are aware in regards to previous vaccine reactions or are more at risk or are pregnant, J&J is live virus/traditional style and not mrna.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Strawberry Pyramid posted:

I used to hate needles, so I decided to start giving blood to get over it. Now I still hate needles, but after repeatedly having a needle hang inside my arm for fifteen minutes, especially when the double red machine puts the saline/plasma back in which feels REAL fuckin weird, regular rear end vaccination injections barely register anymore.

I was diagnosed with a hyperactive thyroid as a teen and had to get blood work every month or so done, I was always fine with booster shots and stuff but the first time I went in for real rear end bloodwork they had to numb my arm and basically lay me down on a table because I was freaking out so much about it. The next time I was in I just told them to do it and I quickly realized I can barely feel it and now it's like whatever man just jab me up.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Just got my bezos chip implanted and I'd just like to reassure anyone who's still anxious about the vaccine that the lizard people are wise and compassionate and that we have nothing to fear in melding our consciousness w/ that of the benevolent lizard god

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Fenarisk posted:

Just so people are aware in regards to previous vaccine reactions or are more at risk or are pregnant, J&J is live virus/traditional style and not mrna.

It's a traditional vaccine, but it is NOT a live virus vaccine. I would probably advise making that clear to anyone if the discussion comes up, since live virus vaccines can seem a bit scarier even if it's not warranted.

Edit: To make it clear. The Vaccine does not contain live SARS-CoV-2. It contains an Adenoviruses modified to be unable to replicate, but also modified to have spike proteins that match SARS-CoV-2 to cause an immune response.(At least that's the best explanation I could manage)

wilderthanmild fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Mar 4, 2021

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!
Got the first shot of the Moderna vaccine today, here's to hoping for minimal side effects.

E: The Moderna vaccine is one of the MRNA vaccines?

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

wilderthanmild posted:

It's a traditional vaccine, but it is NOT a live virus vaccine. I would probably advise making that clear to anyone if the discussion comes up, since live virus vaccines can seem a bit scarier even if it's not warranted.

Edit: To make it clear. The Vaccine does not contain live SARS-CoV-2. It contains an Adenoviruses modified to be unable to replicate, but also modified to have spike proteins that match SARS-CoV-2 to cause an immune response.(At least that's the best explanation I could manage)

Yeah sorry I didn't speak clearly, you're absolutely right. Still not recommended for higher at risk or reaction populations however.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Pine Cone Jones posted:

Got the first shot of the Moderna vaccine today, here's to hoping for minimal side effects.

E: The Moderna vaccine is one of the MRNA vaccines?

Yep!

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Fenarisk posted:

Yeah sorry I didn't speak clearly, you're absolutely right. Still not recommended for higher at risk or reaction populations however.

Says who? I’ve only seen the standard precaution not to give it to people who have had allergic reactions to vaccines. The FDA doc says nothing else

quote:

WHO SHOULD NOT GET THE JANSSEN COVID-19 VACCINE?
You should not get the Janssen COVID-19 Vaccine if you:
• had a severe allergic reaction to any ingredient of this vaccine.

https://www.fda.gov/media/146305/download

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Mar 4, 2021

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

So it's probably been answered before, but what is the advantage of an MRNA vaccine?

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Pine Cone Jones posted:

So it's probably been answered before, but what is the advantage of an MRNA vaccine?

For you? The MRNA vaccines showed higher efficacy in trials than the more traditional J&J vaccine. This however does not mean that the J&J vaccine is ineffective so don't like fall into despair if you happen to get a J&J shot instead of a Pfizer one. The J&J is also being trialed with 2 doses, which may bring it up to a similar efficacy to the MRNA vaccines.

For everyone? Supposedly the MRNA vaccines are quicker to redevelop for new strains if we end up needing to do that.

Downside of the MRNA vaccines is mainly that they need pretty extreme cooling measures which causes all kinds of supply chain issues.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Pine Cone Jones posted:

They are all mRNA vaccines for covid. Both pfizer and Moderna use lipid vesicles to transport this and the johnson and johnson vaccine uses an adenovirus. These all have the same effect in that they enter your cells and tell your cells to make the spike protein from the covid virus, which is then expressed on the cell surface so your immune system can recognize it. Previously most vaccines are inactivated versions of the virus or viral proteins themselves combined with an adjuvant to get your immune system to respond. Producing mRNA is much easier and cheaper than the inactive viruses or viral proteins themselves.

EDIT: correction adenoviruses are double stranded DNA but again they use your cell's machinery to make viral proteins. Adenovirus vectors have been used for other vaccines in clinical trials before but not for standard therapy.

Whooping Crabs fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Mar 4, 2021

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Pine Cone Jones posted:

Traditional vaccines require a lot of spin-up time because you have to grow a bunch of virus as raw materials for the vaccine. mRNA can be produced from existing materials with existing technology at much greater scale immediately. This is the main reason it's being treated as a huge breakthrough, I think, because it's just a faster path to billions of doses in a pandemic.

(as I understand it, anyway)

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Whooping Crabs posted:

They are all mRNA vaccines for covid.

The gist of your post is accurate, but this is not. The mRNA vaccines are different than the Johnson and Johnson vaccine which is a more traditional recombinant vaccine.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

Thanks for the info.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

wilderthanmild posted:

The gist of your post is accurate, but this is not. The mRNA vaccines are different than the Johnson and Johnson vaccine which is a more traditional recombinant vaccine.

You're right, I corrected it.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Philthy posted:

Been out of the loop. The Johnson n Johnson vaccine is all over the news. However they keep saying its only 65% effective. When the vaccine race started they were all saying anything under 90% would be avoided. What changed? If I get offered the JJ should I deny till I can get one of the 95%+?

You could claim to be a Catholic extremist.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

wilderthanmild posted:

Downside of the MRNA vaccines is mainly that they need pretty extreme cooling measures which causes all kinds of supply chain issues.

They are both certified for ordinary freezer temperature now.

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo
also note the moderna/pfizer efficacy comes from trials that predate any covid variants but jnj was trialed against the worst ones out there

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

I think this might be worth reposting, considering the current topic

Saros posted:

A bit of perspective from someone who works in the pharma industry. A vaccine that is 65% effective at reducing symptomatic cases/prevents 95%+ of hospitalisations after a single dose is a good vaccine. Everyone is extremely spoiled by the Pfizer/Moderna vaccines being effective to a level which is basically un-heard of and honestly it might have been better if they weren't the first vaccines approved because they set the standard so high.

Check out historical vaccine efficacy if you're curious, 65% effective with minimal side effects and a single dose is better than a lot of widely used vaccines.

Get your jabs people, you can always have a different vaccine later but right now stopping the pandemic is the priority.

And yeah, this

SchnorkIes posted:

also note the moderna/pfizer efficacy comes from trials that predate any covid variants but jnj was trialed against the worst ones out there

Thom Yorke raps
Nov 2, 2004

So uhhh Biden is saying we will have enough vaccine doses by May? How much should I trust the politician on that? I just started trying to schedule this surgery, I can put it off for awhile so I set it for August... But if we're gonna be vaccinated, I wanna move that up to June or July... but would hate to do that, and then NOT be vaccinated, and have to be in the hospital unvaccinated.

I guess random goons probably can't answer "How full of crap is this politician", but figured I'd ask

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Thom Yorke raps posted:

So uhhh Biden is saying we will have enough vaccine doses by May? How much should I trust the politician on that? I just started trying to schedule this surgery, I can put it off for awhile so I set it for August... But if we're gonna be vaccinated, I wanna move that up to June or July... but would hate to do that, and then NOT be vaccinated, and have to be in the hospital unvaccinated.

I guess random goons probably can't answer "How full of crap is this politician", but figured I'd ask

It's not the amount of doses that's the issue, it's how your state is distributing them. Some states are doing well! Others...not so much.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Thom Yorke raps posted:

It’s based on the manufacturers meeting their promised deliveries and administration of vaccinations keeping pace.

It’s optimistic. If everything proceeds according to schedule, it will be met. If anything goes wrong, the date will slip.

That said, as the country nears full adult vaccination, more and more opportunities will open up. If you are able to refresh provider websites in early morning hours and drive to arbitrary cities on short notice, I expect you will be able to get a shot by the end of May, even if not everyone is.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

They just snap announced that they were opening up the next eligible group in my state, and iirc they had previpusly saod that would come like two weeks out at the very earliest. Probably a good sign.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Thom Yorke raps posted:

More importantly, anything could happen between now and May, your state could bungle the distribution, etc. Biden is only offering a projection. Even if he's just providing the best possible data with perfect sincerity, I don't think that you should place much certainty on that information. If you can safely put it off, that will give you some valuable cushion time in case your own vaccination gets delayed

Case in point my state had to cancel a bunch of appointments as of mid-January because shipments weren't as large as promised. They wanted to prioritize 2nd doses, so they also closed the appointment system. Appointments for first jabs very recently reopened

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Thom Yorke raps posted:

Bear in mind your question isn't really "can I get a first shot by June" (what Biden was suggesting afaik), it's "can I get a first shot and wait and get a second shot and wait to develop full immunity by June"

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Philthy posted:

The problem with the J&J 65% efficacy is that as naem suggested on the last page, 65% would be okay if every single person in the population got the shot. But they won't, and SARS-CoV-2 is endemic now. On a societal basis, the best thing you could do is to take literally any vaccine that's offered to you. On a personal basis, as long as you can continue to live your life in a way that's safe for you and doesn't expose others if you were to become asymptomatically infected, you should wait for one of the mRNA vaccines. Do you really want to roll the dice on a 1 in 3 chance of the entirety of last year being for nothing?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Scarodactyl posted:

They just snap announced that they were opening up the next eligible group in my state, and iirc they had previpusly saod that would come like two weeks out at the very earliest. Probably a good sign.
This happened in Florida over the weekend when they suddenly rapidly expanded eligibility because the state got a bunch of vaccine shipments.

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

Re: needle chat. Look away and have the administrator stick you at a random time. The needle for these shots are so small you probably won’t feel it.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Kestral posted:

The problem with the J&J 65% efficacy is that as naem suggested on the last page, 65% would be okay if every single person in the population got the shot. But they won't, and SARS-CoV-2 is endemic now. On a societal basis, the best thing you could do is to take literally any vaccine that's offered to you. On a personal basis, as long as you can continue to live your life in a way that's safe for you and doesn't expose others if you were to become asymptomatically infected, you should wait for one of the mRNA vaccines. Do you really want to roll the dice on a 1 in 3 chance of the entirety of last year being for nothing?

Why would post this? Go read about this vaccine before you spread disinformation about it and potentially discourage people from getting vaccinated. At 59 days forward the J&J trial had zero new cases, zero new hospitalization and zero new deaths AND it was tested against the variants which the other vaccines weren't.

It could be a worse vaccine, that science hasn't been done. It could also be the best vaccine we have right now. Comparing the trials is apple and oranges and its not accurate to take this single number from 28 days into the trail, against different strains, and tell people the vaccine doesn't work.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
That aside its also insane to say "this vaccine would work if every got it, but they won't so you shouldn't get because its a bullshit vaccine".

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Biden is saying we'll have enough doses, and that's based on the 3 pharma companies' projections. He's not wrong.

But putting them in arms is a different challenge, no way that happens by end of May unless there's a HUGE ramp up in vaccinators + a giant marketing campaign to get people to actually take the shots.

So, you'll probably be able to get a vaccine by end of May, but we won't be reaching herd immunity anytime soon,.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Kestral posted:

On a personal basis, as long as you can continue to live your life in a way that's safe for you and doesn't expose others if you were to become asymptomatically infected, you should wait for one of the mRNA vaccines.

This is wrong and dumb. The J&J vaccine is close to 100% effective in keeping you from getting really sick/dying. Also if you got the J&J now, but were REALLY hoping for an mRNA vaccine, you could just... get 2 vaccines. J&J now, Pfizer later. Nobody would stop you. You would be supervaxed, and safer earlier.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
I mean Biden said we had enough money to give everyone 2 grand buxx so take that for what you will

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

GF got an email tonight to schedule an appt for her first shot, she's getting it tomorrow thank god. We both signed up on the same day so presumably my email should be coming any day now.. :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ape Fist
Feb 23, 2007

Nowadays, you can do anything that you want; anal, oral, fisting, but you need to be wearing gloves, condoms, protection.
Off to get a test today. Had a fever of 102f yesterday all day, mad meninges pain when I moved my head and dizziness when I walked, also spent most of the day half asleep on the couch. Feeling much better today but better to get tested anyway.