Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Matt Zerella posted:

I still use torrents for certain well maintained categories where I know there's a serious dedication to quality.

But yes for TV, you really cant beat usenet.

I mean, a lot of the TV stuff on Usenet trickles down from a specific TV torrent site. But yes in general it’s just easier to set Sonarr up with an indexer and not worry about it for 99% of the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Disregard

Moey fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Feb 20, 2021

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
Forgive me if this is the wrong place for this, but I'm looking to improve my current setup/workflow.

Currently I have a small Win 10 machine under my desk set up with a VPN, Deluge, Jackett, Sonarr & Radarr. My Plex server is an Nvidia Shield with a HDD attached.

I interact with my 'download box' via the web interfaces of Deluge, Sonarr & Radarr. I add TV shows & movies, they get downloaded, and when completed copied over to the HDD serving as the library for Plex.

This works for the most part, but occasionally Windows will just restart itself (I've found no way to disable this) and not everything will come back up. I'm also limited to the download/upload speed made available to me by my ISP.

I'm considering doing away with this thing and just using a seedbox instead - is that an appropriate solution? Would I still interact with Sonarr/Radarr through web interfaces albeit over the internet instead of my LAN? Would a seedbox be able to push completed files to my local library?

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

If you're only using that PC for what you stated then ditch Win10 and put Unraid on it IMO. Run all those apps in docker containers and you'll rarely ever have to interact with it again.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Is your win10 machine somehow lower spec than your shield?

I dunno why you’d go though all that just to have the shield act as the server.

If the shield is stronger, than unraid is a good idea.

You can also solve it by setting windows to auto login on reboot, and make sure all that stuff launches at boot. That’s how mine is set up.

It’s probably windows 10 updates rebooting the system.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

If you're using two machines like that, building one out into an actual NAS is a neat project.
If you can actually add more drives you can gain something pretty important, namely data-parity.

unraid is paid but almost zero-friction
freenas/truenas are free options that are arguably better but you'll end up accidentally learning some linux along the way.
Either have easy-config addons for sonarr/radarr/torrents and VPN use.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

Is your win10 machine somehow lower spec than your shield?

I dunno why you’d go though all that just to have the shield act as the server.

Can you set up a Shield with Sonarr/Radarr/Torrents? I got the shield before I started using Plex and was using it for Kodi.

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

You can also solve it by setting windows to auto login on reboot, and make sure all that stuff launches at boot. That’s how mine is set up.

It’s probably windows 10 updates rebooting the system.

I have it doing that but occasionally it still needs some intervention.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

nexus6 posted:

Can you set up a Shield with Sonarr/Radarr/Torrents? I got the shield before I started using Plex and was using it for Kodi.

I have it doing that but occasionally it still needs some intervention.

My point was to use the win 10 machine for everything unless it’s a 10 year old hunk of poo poo.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Oh, well having the Plex server on the shield isn't that big of a deal, seems to run pretty fine. I'm actually wondering if I can/should get rid of this Win 10 box though.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

nexus6 posted:

This works for the most part, but occasionally Windows will just restart itself (I've found no way to disable this) and not everything will come back up

I'd fix this... because it is fixable.

I've been using a Windows box for exactly this purpose since the Windows 7 days. I don't ever have problems with reboots. Even since moving to Windows 10 2 years ago.

What type of intervention are you having to do if it reboots?

Plex, Sonarr, etc... can all be setup to start on boot. You also want to set your normal user to auto login on boot. (This little tool works wonders: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/autologon) Set your Windows Update active hours appropriately so update installs can only happen late at night.

The only clue I ever have to mine having rebooted is the uTorrent window being open. (I use an ancient version of uTorrent, it auto-opens the main window on boot)

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

I have 2 methods of intervention if it reboots: TightVNC and Teamviewer. I've heard mixed opinions on Teamviewer but the fact is TightVNC is slow as hell even over the LAN with both machines connected via Ethernet.

Both run on startup and I have auto login on boot so that doesn't seem to be an issue.

What does cause problems is having Sonarr & Radarr boot properly. It appears that unless I run them as administrator (which requires manual intervention to click a button) they are unable to connect to my network drive that hosts all my media.

DJ Burette
Jan 6, 2010

nexus6 posted:

I have 2 methods of intervention if it reboots: TightVNC and Teamviewer. I've heard mixed opinions on Teamviewer but the fact is TightVNC is slow as hell even over the LAN with both machines connected via Ethernet.

Both run on startup and I have auto login on boot so that doesn't seem to be an issue.

What does cause problems is having Sonarr & Radarr boot properly. It appears that unless I run them as administrator (which requires manual intervention to click a button) they are unable to connect to my network drive that hosts all my media.

Have you tried setting the sonarr and radarr services in services.msc to logon with an account that has access to the network drives? This should avoid needing a manual intervention/popup.

By default it runs as SYSTEM which can't access remote shares. You also need to make sure all the network drives are accessed via UNC paths too I believe.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

DJ Burette posted:

Have you tried setting the sonarr and radarr services in services.msc to logon with an account that has access to the network drives? This should avoid needing a manual intervention/popup.

By default it runs as SYSTEM which can't access remote shares. You also need to make sure all the network drives are accessed via UNC paths too I believe.

I will look into that, thanks!

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

stevewm posted:

I don't ever have problems with reboots. Even since moving to Windows 10 2 years ago.

What is the secret to prevent Windows 10 from restarting? It seems like the active hours setting allows you at least to prevent it in a specific window, but I'm unsure outside of that.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Sand Monster posted:

What is the secret to prevent Windows 10 from restarting? It seems like the active hours setting allows you at least to prevent it in a specific window, but I'm unsure outside of that.

You basically can't (at least not in an official capacity) without running the special Enterprise LTSB/LTSC versions of it. Because people were frequently disabling updates to avoid any sort of bother, a lot of nasty viruses were able to proliferate despite the exploits they relied on having been fixed several months prior, and users would then immediately blame Microsoft for Windows being insecure. Because of this, Microsoft changed course and now forces update installation and reboots on most versions of Windows 10 because the "nice" way wasn't working. You can postpone updates to a certain degree (with increasing allowances if you're running Win10 Pro or Enterprise, and further still if you're running a Windows Server to manage the updates going to the networked machines) but not indefinitely, and you generally have to do the postponements manually.

The LTSB and LTSC versions of Windows 10 are special versions which are "locked" to a specific Windows 10 build version, and don't get any of the major updates they put out every 6 months. They also don't include Microsoft Edge (only IE11) or the ability to use the Windows Store and apps, since those force updates. They get 10 years of security updates, and you can actually disable specific updates (or all of them) outright so they are never installed.

I'm not sure if there are practical and inexpensive methods of obtaining it for end users, you need an "Enterprise" Windows license which is typically a business level-only thing (and to be licensed officially requires you to effectively pay for Windows 10 twice, as you must install it to a PC that already has a Windows 10 Pro license (you're allowed Win10 Home licenses if you're a non-profit)), the notion being that they're the only ones who might have a plausible reason for keeping a locked version of Windows, and at least in theory are managed by IT people that have some notion of what they're doing (lols go here).

I'm pretty sure there are ways to "break" the normal versions of Windows 10 to avoid auto-installing updates but this goes outside of how the OS is designed to work so ymmv if it eventually results in poo poo getting horribly broken and requiring a full reinstall.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Sand Monster posted:

Set your internet to metered used to work.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

I've been having an issue recently where Movies automatically added to my Plex library don't automatically pull any metadata when I'm certain they used to. E.g.

So I have to go into Plex any manually fix the match for them to get correct data

Does anyone know why this happens? I don't think it's a time issue because these files sat in my library for hours when it only took a few seconds to manually fix them.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Check your agent and scanner are both set to Plex Movie. The agent has an older legacy version you might be still using.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Khablam posted:

Check your agent and scanner are both set to Plex Movie. The agent has an older legacy version you might be still using.

Thanks, I think that worked.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

So the latest version of PMS for my netgear readyNAS has borked the install and it wont start.

anyone else had this happen and got a fix?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Laserface posted:

So the latest version of PMS for my netgear readyNAS has borked the install and it wont start.

anyone else had this happen and got a fix?

What's the error? Try downgrading back to the old version and see if that fixes it. If it does, wait 3 months and try again.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
I’m a newbie to ripping DVDs, and using MakeMKV on the Mac.

75% or more of my DVDs (retail) come up with a “no disc inserted” error. They work fine on my stand-alone DVD player. They won’t even come up for DVD playback on my Mac.

Is my computer just wacked? Is there a better program for ripping?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

MakeMKV is generally pretty solid*, does the OS itself see the disc or not? I'm going to guess the drive is naffed, personally.

(* beyond the inability to open it twice in a row without the key expiring or the version changing and needing to be updated).

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
The drive must be the problem. About half of the discs that won’t rip aren’t recognized by OSX. I also had a folder of DVD-Rs from ~15yrs ago, had a 50% success rate with those, vs. 10% with retail. Didn’t expect that.

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

Get an external drive. I've ripped my entire collection with BDR-XD05S and MakeMKV on Windows. Here's a couple other recommendations.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

ringu0 posted:

Get an external drive. I've ripped my entire collection with BDR-XD05S and MakeMKV on Windows. Here's a couple other recommendations.

Thanks for the rec. The iMac I’m using is fairly old, and even though I never used the optical drive much, it wouldn’t surprise me if something has gone wonky with it over the years.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
https://pca.st/episode/b027f8f9-bae7-4985-90f4-86771377d80c

The most recent "Darknet Diaries" episode about the LinkedIn breach is the perfect example of why I harp in this (and other) threads about never exposing a port to the public internet on your home computer. Spoiler alert. Including Plex. (Cross posted from the nas thread.)

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus

H110Hawk posted:

The most recent "Darknet Diaries" episode about the LinkedIn breach is the perfect example of why I harp in this (and other) threads about never exposing a port to the public internet on your home computer. Spoiler alert. Including Plex. (Cross posted from the nas thread.)

I have been thinking about setting up Plex and Sonarr and the like to be accessible outside my home. What is the best way to do this all safely then? Is there a good guide on where to start anywhere?

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

cryptoclastic posted:

I have been thinking about setting up Plex and Sonarr and the like to be accessible outside my home. What is the best way to do this all safely then? Is there a good guide on where to start anywhere?

nevermind

Bonzo fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Mar 6, 2021

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

cryptoclastic posted:

Setup a VPN. Access it over that. It's the only port that I begrudgingly say people could expose if they pinky swear to keep up with security updates. There are Wireguard setups for basically every OS out there.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

H110Hawk posted:

Setup a VPN. Access it over that. It's the only port that I begrudgingly say people could expose if they pinky swear to keep up with security updates. There are Wireguard setups for basically every OS out there.

Do you have any you recommend? I’ve been using Nord for the past two years, but i want to change to something else that will allow port forwarding so I can use Plex. Was thinking Mullvad, but would love to hear recommendations.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

OldSenileGuy posted:

Do you have any you recommend? I’ve been using Nord for the past two years, but i want to change to something else that will allow port forwarding so I can use Plex. Was thinking Mullvad, but would love to hear recommendations.

This is the opposite - it's one you run yourself. On your servers. I cannot walk you through it (I've never done it myself, I abstain from exposing my home network to the internet.) If you cannot get it going with the Wireguard quickstart I would suggest you skip it and not expose your computers to the internet.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
Would SSH port forwarding be more or less the same security?
I changed from the default ssh port, but i'll just forward ports on my phone for quick access.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

deong posted:

Would SSH port forwarding be more or less the same security?
I changed from the default ssh port, but i'll just forward ports on my phone for quick access.

If you stay on top of security updates, have an appropriately configured sshd, and a fail2ban program going, it's comparable. But if you don't lock yourself out after a few failed attempts don't bother. I don't strictly care about port 22 vs others, the internet will find you.

Nothing less than this:

PermitRootLogin no
PermitEmptyPasswords no
PasswordAuthentication no
ChallengeResponseAuthentication no

Test and make sure it works. Test the positive (ed25519 key or whatever works) and the negative (root@ fails, if you give it the wrong key it just hangs up on you rather than asking for a password, etc.)

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Back when I had an forwarded SSH port I had my firewall block all IP ranges except for the ones my cell phone and my ISP could be on. It was probably pretty unsafe still, but hey at least I didn't have a constant stream of Chinese and Russian IPs trying to log in.

If we ever get unlimited Internet access here I might try to share my PLEX library with a friend, but for now we get charged for overages, so that's not happening.

The Diddler
Jun 22, 2006

cryptoclastic posted:

I'm running a pfsense router with openvpn installed. When I connect to that server, everything is available like I'm at home. It's pretty nice.

EDIT: Plex is port forwarded so I can use the apps. I've never tried to connect over vpn with that.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
me reading the last few posts in this thread except the books say "networking"

I guess it's no remote viewing for me!

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

H110Hawk posted:

https://pca.st/episode/b027f8f9-bae7-4985-90f4-86771377d80c

It should be little surprise, but it's worth mentioning your target profile is somewhat smaller than a large global social media site containing a treasure trove of personal information. The actual risk of an open port to a user-domain program is vanishingly small. It's how half the online games out there work. The reason every web server, person playing a peer-to-peer game or even every minecraft server out there isn't being constantly hacked, is because people aren't discovering unique unpatched RCEs that might be worth 50k to a bug-bounty and using it to try to give themselves more diamonds. There's a reason the targets are large and attacks infrequent.
For instance, the only such vulnerability found in PLEX to date involved first having the victim visit a phishing site and give up their plex credentials. It was a multi-layered attack that was essentially impractical to use and plex was hardened against any similar attacks working via other means as a result. The proof of concept was given up to a bug bounty program.
That's why anyone discovering these things either has a large target in mind, or a bug bounty program.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

If you use Unraid I believe Wireguard is built in now :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
I keep sonarr/radarr behind nginx reverse proxy and protect it with basic auth/fail2ban.
I use the swag (previously letsencrypt) docker container which does essentially all of that for me.