Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Yeah Nah?
This poll is closed.
Yeah Nah 122 53.51%
Nah Yeah 64 28.07%
Nah Yee 18 7.89%
No Yes 9 3.95%
Yes No 15 6.58%
Total: 228 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

know before Whom you stand
i could beat up blair cottrell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Perfect Twist
Aug 15, 2007

"What have I done? I'll have to start again. To forget and to disappear. I'll head north, far-north, to that big question mark, the Northern Territory"

Senor Tron posted:

If Murdoch sees him as a liability then he will want him gone.

Maybe it's time that Murdoch broke up the Australian Government before it gets too big?

A Perfect Twist fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Mar 5, 2021

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

Alfrything is only the ghost of a memory...
look i'm keen for vexit as much as the next person but i'd rather murdoch gently caress off

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

One of the big problems with Murdoch is, to paraphrase I heard once about Kim Jong-un, "the son is worse than the father."

I always get the names of his sons mixed up, but James, (I think), is all in on the fascist, racist ideologies of Fox News, The Herald-Sun etc. and will likely double down once his old man dies/passes the reigns. And if I remember correctly, (which I may be very wrong on this), he is the one that has been tapped to take over. Whilst Lachlan(?), and Elizabeth(?), have been slowly edged away from positions of power or influence.

All of this may be very wrong, though. I am half remembering articles I read a long time ago.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

BrigadierSensible posted:

One of the big problems with Murdoch is, to paraphrase I heard once about Kim Jong-un, "the son is worse than the father."

I always get the names of his sons mixed up, but James, (I think), is all in on the fascist, racist ideologies of Fox News, The Herald-Sun etc. and will likely double down once his old man dies/passes the reigns. And if I remember correctly, (which I may be very wrong on this), he is the one that has been tapped to take over. Whilst Lachlan(?), and Elizabeth(?), have been slowly edged away from positions of power or influence.

All of this may be very wrong, though. I am half remembering articles I read a long time ago.

i think it's the other way around: James and his partner made big contributions to Biden's campaign, basically denounced the direction of Murdoch's editorial empire in an "i'm out" letter. Lachlan meanwhile is the CEO of Fox

edit: not to say James is a great guy, apparently he was pretty instrumental in the big UK phone hacking stuff

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

alf_pogs posted:

i think it's the other way around: James and his partner made big contributions to Biden's campaign, basically denounced the direction of Murdoch's editorial empire in an "i'm out" letter. Lachlan meanwhile is the CEO of Fox

edit: not to say James is a great guy, apparently he was pretty instrumental in the big UK phone hacking stuff

Sorry. As I said, I get the names of the two mixed up in my head.

I seem to vaguely remember Elizabeth ran Murdoch's Asian empire, (Star Sports and a bunch of others) for a while many years ago. But I don't know how accurate that memory is.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

The sister is worse than Lachlan, but Rupes doesn't think women can run things that aren't households so she hasn't gotten anywhere

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

is Michael West worth paying attention to?

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Guardian posted:

The defence minister, Linda Reynolds, has signalled she is prepared to apologise to Brittany Higgins after the former staffer raised the prospect of defamation action.

Not because she's the victim of an awful crime that happened under her employment or because it's the decent thing to do.

And nor just doing it but having to prepare herself for it.

LNP empathy status: unfunded.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Laserface posted:

is Michael West worth paying attention to?

I think so? Unless I've memory holed something I shouldn't have he's generally informative and his site normally has some decent takes.

IIRC he was a News ltd guy back in the day who left to start his own independant thing- read into that what you will. His stuff on tax and big business is normally very well investigated.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
first the italians block our chances at world cup glory in '06 and now they block our vaccine shipments... when will this rogue nation's villainy be stopped?

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Animal Friend posted:

Not because she's the victim of an awful crime that happened under her employment or because it's the decent thing to do.

And nor just doing it but having to prepare herself for it.

LNP empathy status: unfunded.

Most importantly, not that she will apologise, nor even that she is indeed sorry.

But the threat of legal action has made her think about possibly making a formal "I'm sorry if anyone was offended, it was not my intention...." statement.

gently caress them all.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-03-05/linda-reynolds-apologises-to-brittany-higgins-lying-cow/13219796

Lying cow apologises.

What I want to know is what is the exact context of the original "lying cow" allegation. Reynolds seems to say it wasn't in regard to the rape allegation directly. Put into any context it still seems incredibly damning. I want to know what context it was even remotely acceptable, even to a psychopath.

And Porter is completely playing the "Asked and answered", now I'm having a peek-a-boo one week time out in the hopes that one week is actually a long time in politics and you will all have forgotten about it, game.

Jacquai loving Lambie was making sense on ABC RN this morning....We are that far down the rabbit hole.

RJG was diagnosed with advanced breast cancer during a stint at the Alice Springs correctional centre in 2013. He was in and out of custody a number of times in the three months before his death, but was jailed a final time for driving offences in late 2015. He received chemotherapy while in prison and was eventually transferred to Alice Springs hospital for palliative care and died on 5 April 2016, four days before his approved early release date.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Cartoon posted:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-03-05/linda-reynolds-apologises-to-brittany-higgins-lying-cow/13219796

Lying cow apologises.

What I want to know is what is the exact context of the original "lying cow" allegation. Reynolds seems to say it wasn't in regard to the rape allegation directly. Put into any context it still seems incredibly damning. I want to know what context it was even remotely acceptable, even to a psychopath.

Only apologising because of the backlash, she doesn't give a poo poo that she said it. Also there is no way she didn't mean it in regards to the rape allegation.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Cartoon posted:

Lying cow apologises.

And Porter is completely playing the "Asked and answered", now I'm having a peek-a-boo one week time out in the hopes that one week is actually a long time in politics and you will all have forgotten about it, game.

Jacquai loving Lambie was making sense on ABC RN this morning....We are that far down the rabbit hole.

RJG was diagnosed with advanced breast cancer during a stint at the Alice Springs correctional centre in 2013. He was in and out of custody a number of times in the three months before his death, but was jailed a final time for driving offences in late 2015. He received chemotherapy while in prison and was eventually transferred to Alice Springs hospital for palliative care and died on 5 April 2016, four days before his approved early release date.

I've noticed Jacquie Lambie making more sense than usual lately.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

bowmore posted:

Only apologising because of the backlash, she doesn't give a poo poo that she said it. Also there is no way she didn't mean it in regards to the rape allegation.

It's bizarre because the only context where it wasn't a derogatory statement is if she was talking about a literal talking cow that was saying things that weren't true and every other context ranges from really bad to really really bad and would be better off saying nothing unless it was a genuine sincere apology.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Independents can make a lot of sense because there's no party line to follow so they trend more towards the public's common sense.

But get them on to their pet subjects and whoof, hold the gently caress on

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

What is Lambie saying that is making sense?

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

What is Lambie saying that is making sense?
https://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/breakfast/lambie-calls-coronial-inquiry-christian-porter-rape-allegation/13218520

GWA had a fatal heart attack in the prison cottage he shared with another inmate on 4 April 2016, when he was just 31 years old. He had "significant" heart disease, poorly controlled diabetes, and was a heavy smoker. Health workers at the prison had arranged for him to see a cardiologist, but said he was reluctant to stop smoking or lose weight and did not take his medication. The coroner found that "all that could be done for him was done, but unfortunately he would not comply with the lifestyle changes that were necessary for his own wellbeing".

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe
As long as you don't ask Lambie about China, LGBT issues, the Greens or Muslims, she's not typically that far off.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

I understand that feeling. I have had the briefest flash of "Oh hey, Zac Kirkup actually made a good point" a couple of times this election lead up.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Intoluene posted:

As long as you don't ask Lambie about China, LGBT issues, the Greens or Muslims, she's not typically that far off.

The Muir Rule. Pick a random Aussie, they may be lovely in a bunch of ways but better than a career politician

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
i cant fix avs like this because idk the bbcode - HTML IS BS MAN

Zenithe posted:

The Muir Rule. Pick a random Aussie, they may be lovely in a bunch of ways but better than a career politician
Definitely agree with that.

I’m still lovely at Lambie over the way the medevac repeal played out. She voted to repeal, gave a teary speech about national security preventing her from telling anyone why and the government turned around and said ‘lol what deal?’.

Then last year she promised to tell all by the end of 2020 if the Morrison hadn’t and as Q1 2021 is almost finished I find myself not shocked that Jacqui still isn’t talking.

quote:

"So he can go and threaten me with jail or whatever he likes on a piece of paper. I don't care. But if he doesn't tell you by the end of the year, I will. How's that for you, right? He's had long enough."

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

paynes sicky reminds me of the time latham lost an election then got a note from his dr saying he couldnt do politics no more then i guess it got better lol so he joined one nation

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

bowmore posted:

My guess is that she didn’t call her a lying cow about the assault, but probably disputes Ms Higgins account of the support and response offered by the senator.

Not that that is any better mind you.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/naveenjrazik/status/1367669391450537988

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

"these were not comments made in a public space". It was in an open-plan office which is how it was leaked.

If we're not counting Parliament as a public space which merits consequence, then I can see how a serial sexual abuser has been getting a pass this whole time. Not to mention certain ministers. There's no trial by media, just their own version of the rule of law.

How the gently caress does AusPol get worse week by week with no consequence.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

Animal Friend posted:

We are the lucky country.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Capt.Whorebags posted:

My guess is that she didn’t call her a lying cow about the assault, but probably disputes Ms Higgins account of the support and response offered by the senator.

Not that that is any better mind you.

I think she is only apologising to keep the fact that the complainant was called a lying cow in the news. The more times the LNP can associate the complainant with the term "lying cow" the better off they are.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

Animal Friend posted:

"these were not comments made in a public space". It was in an open-plan office which is how it was leaked.

If we're not counting Parliament as a public space which merits consequence, then I can see how a serial sexual abuser has been getting a pass this whole time. Not to mention certain ministers. There's no trial by media, just their own version of the rule of law.

So it is entirely appropriate for Ministers, in positions of power, to slag off their subordinates to a room full of others?

Awesome. Great job running the country. Someone please please please cut this poo poo into an ad, these numpties aren't fit to rule a margin in a notebook.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Electric Wrigglies posted:

I think she is only apologising to keep the fact that the complainant was called a lying cow in the news. The more times the LNP can associate the complainant with the term "lying cow" the better off they are.

Better off except maybe for her, who might get thrown under the bus to protect the men.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

DRINK ME posted:

Definitely agree with that.

I’m still lovely at Lambie over the way the medevac repeal played out. She voted to repeal, gave a teary speech about national security preventing her from telling anyone why and the government turned around and said ‘lol what deal?’.

Then last year she promised to tell all by the end of 2020 if the Morrison hadn’t and as Q1 2021 is almost finished I find myself not shocked that Jacqui still isn’t talking.

Isn't parliamentary privilege more powerful than some dumb national security laws?

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

My understanding is that parliamentary privilege is absolute. You can say anything and not have any civil or criminal procedures brought against you.

The only recourse is a parliamentary committee can find that you’ve misused the privilege and fop you with a wet newspaper or limp cabbage.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Capt.Whorebags posted:

My understanding is that parliamentary privilege is absolute. You can say anything and not have any civil or criminal procedures brought against you.

The only recourse is a parliamentary committee can find that you’ve misused the privilege and fop you with a wet newspaper or limp cabbage.

I think it doesn't protect you against outright lies or slander as per the recent court case.

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

Spookydonut posted:

I think it doesn't protect you against outright lies or slander as per the recent court case.

Yes it does. But it has to be said as part of parliamentary activities - I.e in the house/senate, or during committee proceedings. A member can’t just say it on TV and expect immunity.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
https://twitter.com/markhumphries/status/1366144814744358912?s=19

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Silly procedural question about Parliamentary Privilege:

Given that one can go back afterwards and edit Hansard into the things you wish you had said instead of the things you did say, lets say the edited version is a lie, or slander, or whatever.

Does Parliamentary Privilege cover the edited version as well as what you actually said?

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

Konomex posted:

Awesome. Great job running the country. Someone please please please cut this poo poo into an ad, these numpties aren't fit to rule a margin in a notebook.

smart and stable

Sierra Madre
Dec 24, 2011

But getting to it. That's not the hard part.

It's letting go.

Capt.Whorebags posted:

Also, parliamentary privilege only protects you from official, legal consequences. It does not protect you from other people (particularly those in power) thinking that you're a liar or that you're going to gently caress everything up by talking so openly, and acting accordingly.

So I wouldn't be surprised if, in this case, Lambie got pulled aside and told 'if you say a word we have the power to destroy your career and your reputation ten times over.' After all, she's an independent without the backing of a large political party. Those positions are always tentative and precarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

Silly procedural question about Parliamentary Privilege:

Given that one can go back afterwards and edit Hansard into the things you wish you had said instead of the things you did say, lets say the edited version is a lie, or slander, or whatever.

Does Parliamentary Privilege cover the edited version as well as what you actually said?

No actual idea, but I’m sure you have to go into the chamber to make a correcting statement, so that should be covered.