Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I mean I didn't find it that way, the only cues you actually need are audio

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

Flimf posted:

Hell yeah! Soul Nomad & The World Eaters is coming to PC!
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1535610/Soul_Nomad__the_World_Eaters/

Give us Makai Kingdom you cowards!

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Jagged Jim posted:

:same:
I'll get Phantom Brave to hold me over since....

I refunded Loop Hero after an hour. I expected an incremental upgrade sort of NG+ like with Rogue Legacy or Dungeonsmans, but I am fighting the same enemies and relying on an RNG that might be able to keep up with the vampires and skeletons, enemies who will beat your rear end ten times harder than slimes, but you lose your equipment each loop despite the game telling you how lingering objects work. It is like grinding off of trash mobs until I get enough building material for something and your other stuff gets lost in the void when you return, repeat again. I was wrong and should have watched more of Skeletor's stream.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Jagged Jim posted:

It's part of a "volume 1" thing so I imagine volume 2 will be Makai Kingdom and La Pucelle, hopefully with the PSP extra campaigns that never came to the west.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

StrixNebulosa posted:

Loop Hero...has no cloud saves. :negative:

I wish this were a standard feature! Especially now that I'm in a position where I go between my desktop PC and laptop a lot!

e: ...wait, holy poo poo, it does? Why is it not marked on the store page??

Aren’t cloud saves just a Steam thing now? I played Fallout New Vegas this year and it put all my saves on the cloud and I know it didn’t ship with that, or even have that in 2013 or so.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Aren’t cloud saves just a Steam thing now? I played Fallout New Vegas this year and it put all my saves on the cloud and I know it didn’t ship with that, or even have that in 2013 or so.

they have to choose to implement it. dyson sphere program doesn't have it, maybe on account of the saves being multiple hundreds of meg in size.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Steam does make it pretty easy to enable cloud saves though, the publisher can just tag the folder the game saves to and the Steam client handles all the syncing logic on the games behalf. That's why old games that haven't been updated in forever can have cloud saves.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

repiv posted:

the Steam client handles all the syncing logic on the games behalf.

does it?

when i was playing pinball arcade they had an issue (that never got fixed) where installing the game on a new pc would wipe your cloud save if you didnt do some poo poo to pre-place the save file on the new machine

at the time i blamed farsight for being completely incompetent

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

treat posted:

Yeah I put a couple hours into the demo and idgi. I had a hard time figuring out how I was meant to play it. Regardless of whether I was reserved with monster cards or mostly just dumped everything onto the field, I'd only make it 5 or 6 runs around the board before having to bail. I also couldn't quite manage to get a cohesive build going in any of my runs which was more frustrating than anything. The town unlocks looked like they'd be a huge grind too, I think I only managed to add the cheapest upgrade even after playing for 2 hours.

Even if I understood how to min/max, it's not really my kind of game I think.

For what it's worth once you unlock the second act/difficulty in Loop Hero, playing it gives you a whopping 40% to all resource gain, along with new cards giving you new ways to acquire them, so the upgrade grind isn't nearly as intimidating as it looks. Haven't progressed beyond that but I assume the resource multiplier continues to grow. Also I really, really like the way they handle jumping to the second difficulty in general-- every single monster now gets some kind of passive ability or skill, so it completely switches up how you have to strategize now that they're not just piles of stats anymore. There are even a few ways to take advantage of their abilities and use them to benefit yourself that I've run into, like how scarecrows deal AOE damage to their entire team, or how vampires now summon bats that have a chance of interrupting any attack, including those by enemies

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Awesome! posted:

does it?

when i was playing pinball arcade they had an issue (that never got fixed) where installing the game on a new pc would wipe your cloud save if you didnt do some poo poo to pre-place the save file on the new machine

at the time i blamed farsight for being completely incompetent

Theres a second option where the game itself talks to the Steam Cloud API and has more control over what gets synced and when, so if some game behaves weirdly they might be using that API incorrectly.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

yea that sounds more like farsight

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
In my experience, cloud saves are only deleted after closing a game after deleting the relevant local saves ingame. Otherwise, when launching the game, if a local save is missing, it gets automatically downloaded.

My particular brain worms make me occasionally rage delete local saves after closing games, and I'm often relieved to find them back after relaunching (and resyncing).

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Ugly In The Morning posted:

plenty of games don't support cloud saves, unfortunately. some of the ones that don't have cloud saves listed:

superhot mind control delete
shining resonance refrain
.hack//GU
heaven's vault
lara croft and the temple of osiris
hotline miami 2
pool panic
the adventure pals
cryptark
FTL
warhammer: space marine
sleeping dogs
one piece pirate warriors 3
hyper light drifter

that doesn't mean they don't have cloud saves 100% confirmed, because sometimes the dev will just not tick the box i guess? but i know that's the case with some of those games, like the adventure pals i had to start over when i switched computers. my suggestion is to go to the steam forums (something i almost never recommend) and search to see if there is any mention of cloud support

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Mar 5, 2021

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

The 7th Guest posted:

plenty of games don't support cloud saves, unfortunately. some of the ones that don't have cloud saves mentioned:

superhot mind control delete
shining resonance refrain
.hack//GU
heaven's vault
lara croft and the temple of osiris
hotline miami 2
pool panic
the adventure pals
cryptark
FTL
warhammer: space marine
sleeping dogs
one piece pirate warriors 3
hyper light drifter

To add to this is Sleeping Dogs, which I found out only after installing it on my latest PC and welp, gotta start from the beginning. I mean it's a good game but I wanted to just ruin the lives of NPCs drive around peacefully.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Awesome! posted:

after watching the trailer for rhythm doctor i felt like i would just get frustrated with all the "glitchy" stuff in a rhythm game. like if my guitar hero screen suddenly started flickering and notes jumping around i dont think that would be fun for me

That's the only patient that goes super glitchy like that. Every patient has their own aliment that manifests in unique ways, and his is a "virus" that messes with the game itself. Everyone else is a lot more straightforward.

Unless you're saying you'd dislike any kind of visual playfulness, which... is kinda what this game really excels at. Here's the 2nd boss stage - it's big spoilers since it's great to experience blind, but this stage is what sold the game to a lot of people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poSaj8aLL-k

Pigbuster fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Mar 5, 2021

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?
Hell yeah, Soul Nomad.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
Cool dude, Audish, is streaming Loop Hero right now. Come by and check it out: https://www.twitch.tv/goldplatedgames

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

Loop Hero is awesome. My copy of Yakuza: Like a Dragon arrived for the PS5 today, but all I want to do is play Loop Hero.

Edit: how the hell did I get the numbers mixed up?

Iverron
May 13, 2012

meant to play Loop Hero for 20m and played for 3h instead, game is good

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

StrixNebulosa posted:

Loop Hero...has no cloud saves. :negative:

I wish this were a standard feature! Especially now that I'm in a position where I go between my desktop PC and laptop a lot!

e: ...wait, holy poo poo, it does? Why is it not marked on the store page??

Probably because only the Windows version is configured for cloud saves.

To add to what other people have said -- Steam has two different cloud save systems: a native SteamWorks API where the game talks to the Steam client rather than reading and writing files to disk (which generally works flawlessly in the face of e.g. multiple Steam users sharing the same Windows account), and Steam AutoCloud where the developer doesn't have to modify the game at all, they just set some configuration options in the Steam backend that tells the Steam client where the save files are located and what their file names look like. If AutoCloud is misconfigured then you can e.g. end up with separate save files for Windows/Mac/Linux rather than one shared save file, and if you have multiple Steam users sharing a Windows account you can end up with everybody's save files getting merged together or other weirdness.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Dyson Sphere Program not having cloud saves was a real shock as I reinstalled my computer and didn't bother backing up my 20 hours save. It's an amazing game but please!!

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Ambaire posted:

Wasn't sure what Loop Heroes was, so I checked Steam bestsellers and didn't see it only to realize I'd ignored it weeks ago in a discovery queue. The game just didn't (doesn't) look fun at all.

Different games for different personalities and playstyles, I suppose.

I didn't think I'd like Loop Hero either, but it really scratches that Diablo itch I've had since all the recent Diablo talk.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
If you've had too much looping for the day, you can spend some time with the new and free Receiver 2 update: The Compound Update.

Moreover, the Monster Train paid DLC is dropping on March 25th titled The Last Divinity. One of the highlights is a final final boss that actually takes up three whole floors. Still, I wonder if the timing isn't somewhat unfortunate because Isaac: Repentance is dropping merely a week later.

Also, Everhood is out. Musical battles in a weird world. Don't confuse it with Neverhood which is another game in a weird world where you battle with music.

Blattdorf fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Mar 5, 2021

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Booted up Monster Hunter World for the first time yesterday. I like the look of things, seems like a whimsical game that doesn't take itself too seriously. The one thing that's making me apprehensive is that being :pcgaming: I always struggle with the combat in these console ports, it just feels so clunky and slow (others would say deliberate), and I get unreasonably frustrated. But it's probably on me for picking the comically oversized hammer as my first weapon.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Phlegmish posted:

Booted up Monster Hunter World for the first time yesterday. I like the look of things, seems like a whimsical game that doesn't take itself too seriously. The one thing that's making me apprehensive is that being :pcgaming: I always struggle with the combat in these console ports, it just feels so clunky and slow (others would say deliberate), and I get unreasonably frustrated. But it's probably on me for picking the comically oversized hammer as my first weapon.

Well I'm curious why you think MH's combat is the way it is..because it's a console port. It's not like PC-first games never had, as you say, deliberate combat.

Though yeah Hammer is on the 'slower' side of the spectrum. Faster weapons would be Switch Axe, Insect Glaive, Dual Swords, uhh.. Charge Blade I think? Maybe Longsword.

kirbysuperstar fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Mar 5, 2021

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Hammer can play pretty elusively. The trick is learning to hit and run with the level 1/2 charge attacks (especially the level 2 uppercut) while aiming for the face, and save the Level 3 charge, golf swing combo, and big bang combos for medium/large openings/knockdowns. Hammer also has incredibly strong jump attacks off ledges (charge attack button the air lets you change direction and get more air time to the point that you can hit back onto the ledge you jump from) and when sliding down slopes.

imo it's a very good beginner weapon since it's kinda medium tier in mobility but doesn't have any meters or ammo or any resource management to care about beyond sharpness

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Flimf posted:

Hell yeah! Soul Nomad & The World Eaters is coming to PC!
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1535610/Soul_Nomad__the_World_Eaters/

Huh, I love the Disgaea series, played Phantom Brave and I remember La Pucelle and Makai Kingdom but I do not remember ever hearing about this one. How's it stack up?

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Phlegmish posted:

Hammer is one of the fastest, most mobile weapons in the game.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I started with the insect glaive and can't even deal with other weapons now since they don't have the same mobility. Although being airborne does it have it's downsides against the larger monsters that are basically a charging meat wall.

Monster Hunter does allow for some degree of button mashing though, certainly more than stuff like Dark Souls - it's more important that you are hitting the right parts of a monster rather than pulling off the perfect combos.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Mar 5, 2021

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

DatonKallandor posted:

Hammer is one of the fastest, most mobile weapons in the game.

lol poo poo

Is there anything that makes your character faster and more agile? I don't think the PC levels, they just find better stuff?

I'll get used to the combat. There's a lot to take in though, with the crafting and such.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Phlegmish posted:

lol poo poo

Is there anything that makes your character faster and more agile? I don't think the PC levels, they just find better stuff?

I'll get used to the combat. There's a lot to take in though, with the crafting and such.

Use a weapon that’s more your speed basically; hammer can move at full speed while unsheathed but has some very long recovery which can feel clunky for a weapon with so little range. sword and shield, dual swords, insect glaive, bow, and light bowgun are all more mobile although I wouldn’t suggest LBG to a brand new player. most other weapons can be a lot more mobile than they seem if you play them well, those are just the weapons that are pretty fast out of the box.

Evade extender will make your dodges go further and evade window will make them have more invincibility, but you need to get into high rank before you can do much with skills so don’t worry about that right now.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Phlegmish posted:

lol poo poo

I highly recommend looking up the Arrekz tutorial on Youtube at least for the weapon you want to use, those do a really good job of showing you what the class is good at, some important combos, and any hidden stuff you may not know about otherwise.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?

Phlegmish posted:

lol poo poo

To be fair, when they say that hammer is fast and mobile, it's very understandable that it is not easily apparent. Most people when they are first learning would likely run around and use the basic attacks, which are slow vertical swings that thud into the earth and keep you planted where you stand: not the best first impression. When people say it's mobile, they are most likely speaking of the charge-up attacks: you can charge when you're moving and do all sorts of fancy stuff, like the dashing uppercut with a level 2 charge and a spinning cyclone with a level 3 charge and when you're sliding down a slope, a rolling sonic somersault, and so on. These moves are hidden behind a more complex charging system (and a prereq of doing a power charge as well to help) so it's definitely not immediately apparent.

Similar things happen with the lance: it can actually be incredibly mobile and people love to say that, but when you first use a lance and you don't know it and aren't familiar with the entire moveset (and it's various dashes and cancels and such), it's very easy to think of it as way too heavy and clunky to utilize, what with it's slow movement speed and boring pokes.

Basically, it's good to know, as people can say, that a lot of the weapons are a lot better and more mobile than immediately apparent. But it can be very confusing since the movesets are incredibly deep and complex: definitely consider spending a lot of time in the training room, checking the hunter's notes and looking at the top right corner to see move inputs and where moves can branch as you do them. Also, since you're at the start and fighting small, weaker and more agile monsters, maybe consider using something like the sword and shield or dual blades, or bow: weapons that are more immediately fast and agile in easier to understand ways. In my playthroughs, I usually like only utilizing the more heavy weapons as the monsters get, well, heavier as well: they shine better that way for me.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Good tips, I like the sound of dual blades, I will forge some and keep the defender hammer for later.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
In general it tends to be more about learning the properties of your weapon's moveset than worrying about movespeed per se - invulnerable frames and how attacks move you around are important to know. Like Dual Blades generally moves faster than many weapons (factoring in Demon Mode) but if you mistime a Blade Dance you're going to be incredibly vulnerable while animation locked.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Has anyone ever had a problem with demos not appearing on store pages?

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Hwurmp posted:

Has anyone ever had a problem with demos not appearing on store pages?

Some demos have their own separate page (happened to me with Outriders recently).

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

The first person to quote this post will receive a FREE STEAM KEY for XCOM: Chimera Squad via PM

https://store.steampowered.com/app/882100/XCOM_Chimera_Squad/

EDIT: This has already been claimed - sorry.

D1E fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Mar 5, 2021

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

That's very generous of you.

I wonder if I have an extra key to give out. I bought a spare for a friend when it came out, but he had it already. I should check.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

D1E posted:

The first person to quote this post will receive a FREE STEAM KEY for XCOM: Chimera Squad via PM

https://store.steampowered.com/app/882100/XCOM_Chimera_Squad/

Hello, don't mind if I do.