Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

PaintVagrant posted:

yeah. 2017 SS 1Le. It's name is Nice Nice, because the odometer was 6,969 miles when I picked it up

This is the most Camaro thing ever. Badass ride, myman.

brae posted:

I bought a 718 Cayman GT4 and put winter tires on it. It's black so it'd be dirty no matter what but winter driving takes the filth to a new level.

And this is equally amazing.

:black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Thanks boys. That GT4, holy poo poo :chanpop:

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Hell yes

Hell yes

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

you haven't lived until you're out (in my case, fat biking) on ice you know to be 3 feet thick but you hear cracking and booming from somewhere
You haven't lived until you are snowmobiling across what you thought was a frozen lake and hit water (never lift).

brae posted:

I bought a 718 Cayman GT4 and put winter tires on it. It's black so it'd be dirty no matter what but winter driving takes the filth to a new level.

Owns.

I should have a porsche addition to this thread in the next couple of days as well.

What size now tires to put on my turbo twists?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

PaintVagrant posted:

yeah. 2017 SS 1Le. It's name is Nice Nice, because the odometer was 6,969 miles when I picked it up

Nice Nice, :lol:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

PaintVagrant posted:

Bought this big dumb fuckin thing. Its like driving a great white shark.

brae posted:

Page 599 was best page. Holy poo poo. I'll assume burnouts are incoming.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

gvibes posted:

You haven't lived until you are snowmobiling across what you thought was a frozen lake and hit water (never lift).

Fat bikes are very buoyant, ask me how I know

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
are we posting our snow filth monsters now

Pretty sure I could've gotten pulled over with the plate in that state

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
I love that you still have that av :allears:

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Theophany posted:

I love that you still have that av :allears:

It's the greatest gift the thread has given me since the irreversible brain damage from reading it.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Gigi Galli posted:

Hell yeah

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

Gigi Galli posted:

Seeing as it's massachusetts, it's probably a moving violation.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

brae posted:

Good on you for driving it regardless.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Gigi Galli posted:

It's the greatest gift the thread has given me since the irreversible brain damage from reading it.

Lmao

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

brae posted:

That's some hero poo poo right there. See if you can find some local C&C or Porsche meetup and take it there as-is.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

chrisgt posted:

Seeing as it's massachusetts, it's probably a moving violation.

MGL 90-6, $40 first/$80 second/$155 third & subsequent, surchargeable event, moving violation. Additionally if the cop hates him, I see a plate frame and a plastic plate cover, both of those are also violations of the same law so technically he could get a surchargeable event, a moving violation, and all 3 of those fines in one stop.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

gvibes posted:

I should have a porsche addition to this thread in the next couple of days as well.
And here it is:

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Got drat. Some choice new rides lately.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Tie it to a building and do a burnout my friend x

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

kastein posted:

MGL 90-6, $40 first/$80 second/$155 third & subsequent, surchargeable event, moving violation. Additionally if the cop hates him, I see a plate frame and a plastic plate cover, both of those are also violations of the same law so technically he could get a surchargeable event, a moving violation, and all 3 of those fines in one stop.

Everything in mass boils down to a moving violation...

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

gvibes posted:

And here it is:

:flashfap:

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Gigi Galli posted:

sure

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

It might have been a snow monster at some point :shrug:

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Under the rainbow, nice.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Gigi Galli posted:

Still can’t believe you bought an Evo you scrub

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Shrapnig posted:

Still can’t believe you bought an Evo you scrub

You bought a loving Volvo!

I also have a Volvo

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Fancy Dan foreigners who don’t like it up em

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
Well my actual car is still a disgusting mess, and my exterior spigot is broken so until both the weather improves and I get the plumber out here that won't change. In the meantime though I just got these super clean beauties in the mail. Three on the left are Hot Wheels, the One True Color on the right is by Majorette.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Gigi Galli posted:

Did some stuff to my snow filth monster this weekend after collecting a bunch of parts. Went with full bolt on upgrades, the car absolutely loving boogies now. If I had to take a guess the car now sits at 475ish whp on 93 octane. As of this post I have 2,016 miles on the car.

Mods:
-Unitronic ECU/TCU tunes
-NGK spark plugs
-Unitronic intercooler
-Unitronic 4” turbo inlet
-AWE 4.5” S-Flow Open element intake
-MBT Motorsport catless 4” downpipe (into OEM sports cat back)

MTB Motorsport downpipe, very nice bit of kit for $600 on eBay from a small shop out of Illinois. No shot I was paying $1k+ for a big name shop to give me some bent metal pipe and figured I'd give this a chance

Big rear end AWE intake, looks really nice in person. I was supplied the totally wrong size worm clamps for this though and had to find my own last minute

Unitronic 4" turbo inlet compared to stock

Unitronic FMIC vs OEM

A few hours in we had the entire intake system off the car...if you don't have a set of Quick Jacks, buy them. They are the truth.

A few more hours and tons of cursing later, the OEM downpipe came out of the car against it's will

With the new downpipe, FMIC, inlet, and intake back in it was time to flash the ECU/TCU tunes to the car. This was extremely easy and was really cool to be able to do on my own in the garage. Took a total of 20 minutes max to flash both ECUs.

The car hauls so much rear end now, I cannot imagine what these cars are like once you add uprated injectors and run the E85 tune... which nets you an additional ~75ish whp, good for around 550whp. The catless downpipe doesn't drone which was one of my bigger concerns and sounds so aggressive under full throttle. You can hear the famed RS3 waste-gate rattle that everyone talks about when normally cruising about, sounds kinda funky but it is what it is with the OEM turbo and doesn't ruin the driving experience.

After about an hour long cruise, it seems like the AWE intake shifted a bit and is slightly rubbing against two O2 sensor line zip tie mounts on the firewall when rolling out from a stop, should be an easy fix to relocate the line and free up about a half inch of clearance for the intake. All said and done, I'm totally smitten with how hard this car pulls and would highly recommend to other RS3 owners to go with FBO mods. 2nd gear through 3rd and into 4th absolutely rips.

Here's a lovely clip I filmed in Sinaloa where I short shift each gear, the video doesn't do the car (and it's feeling of how hard it pulls) any justice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4R6wdT5WvU

dk2m posted:

Traded in my 16 WRX for a 18 RS3. Absolutely love this thing, the power is so addicting and the 5 cylinder sounds incredible. Nardo grey is quite beautiful in direct sunlight as well

Welcome to the DAZA 5 cylinder club....now tune it :getin:

GramCracker fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Mar 15, 2021

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
mama mia

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Holy loving poo poo

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Simply awesome RS3, the color is perfect. My friend has a new A3 and it feels a bit too small for a sedan. However I really like the way the TTRS looks and it's pretty tempting- amazing how much power the stock i5 can take - Just wish they made something with that motor in stick.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

:discourse:

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Insanely good RS3. I didn’t realize there was so much available for that platform; always figured it was APR or nothing. Nice.

dk2m
May 6, 2009

GramCracker posted:

Welcome to the DAZA 5 cylinder club....now tune it :getin:

Holy poo poo - I cannot imagine how insanely quick this feels to drive. You’re not helping me with the resolution to keep my RS3 stock for atleast a year

Some questions for me:
Any reason you went with Unitronic over APR for the tune?

How do the valves work with the downpipe - does the drive mode selector still take it into account? Haven’t delved too deeply in the turbo back setup yet so not sure how it all works.

Is the stock cooler a bottleneck? From trolling around audizine, upgraded FMICs don’t seem common so curious on your upgrade path

BTW - your car played part of the reason why I expanded my trade in search from an M2/M3 to an RS3 so cheers man!

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

What a supoib colour :)

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

Never expected to see you post here again.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Gigi Galli posted:

flairs :allears:

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh
You can imagine how long this cleanliness lasted microseconds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Gigi Galli posted:

Insanely good RS3. I didn’t realize there was so much available for that platform; always figured it was APR or nothing. Nice.

There is lots of competition between companies, which leads to a reasonably deep aftermarket platform for this car. Which is great for you if you want to go fast, but horrible for your wallet.

dk2m posted:

Holy poo poo - I cannot imagine how insanely quick this feels to drive. You’re not helping me with the resolution to keep my RS3 stock for atleast a year

Some questions for me:
Any reason you went with Unitronic over APR for the tune?

How do the valves work with the downpipe - does the drive mode selector still take it into account? Haven’t delved too deeply in the turbo back setup yet so not sure how it all works.

Is the stock cooler a bottleneck? From trolling around audizine, upgraded FMICs don’t seem common so curious on your upgrade path

BTW - your car played part of the reason why I expanded my trade in search from an M2/M3 to an RS3 so cheers man!

Glad to have helped influence your decision! I was also considering the M2 CS, but the 4x OEM colors you could pick from and how bad the engine sounds (despite it's potential) pretty much eliminated that for me.

I've had the car for ~7 months now and am comfortable with what I've seen in the community with regards to others modding from day one collection of their cars. Some crazy assholes even send the car straight to Iroz in Nevada from the dealer with like 40 miles on the car for 1,000whp builds. :psypop:

Unitronic cars are consistently some of the quickest RS3s around, not to mention the ability to tune from home is fantastic. Personally, I've seen and read enough about APR over the years that I will do almost everything I can to avoid having to run their products. Hardware not so much, but software I won't touch. They did not have a great reputation tuning the CEPA 2.5T in the '12-13 TTRS and if you do enough digging you can track down a fair amount of failed motors. The huge lack of transparency with APR also drives me nuts, it's too much flashy marketing/graphics for me and not enough about owning that they messed up something in the tune and that is why it requires a revision update. YMMV but that's my opinion on APR.

Valves - these are opened depending on throttle/load and are also drive mode dependent. The flaps themselves are just before the exhaust tips. I have the the flaps unplugged on my car and the wires are capped with these and these. One set plugs into the car wiring harness and the other set plugs into the flap control module on the exhaust.

The stock intercooler isn't necessarily a bottle neck, rather it just heat soaks incredibly easily after a single run. Given the additional boost I am running with the stage 2 tune and the heat that likely comes with it, I wanted to have this area covered. You can definitely get away with the stock IC on a Stage 1 and even Stage 1 E85 tune imo.

DropShadow posted:

Never expected to see you post here again.

Touche, sir.