Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Oh golly, that gets the ol' jello mold a-quiverin'!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geo Fixer
Jan 10, 2012

"Freedom lies in being bold."
-Robert Frost

My grandparents had one of these in their home it was loving awesome!

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
conversation pits are fun and all but they lead to a lot of injuries, and they're very annoying to clean

canonically, venture compound does have a split level descent around built-ins in the living room, as well as a hovering fireplace as in the first pic in that tweet. probably even jonas sr. could see the unnecessary hazard of a full on pit

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Feb 15, 2021

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
The venture compound had those things.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

canonically, venture compound does have a split level descent around built-ins in the living room, as well as a hovering fireplace as in the first pic in that tweet. probably even jonas sr. could see the unnecessary hazard of a full on pit

Well he needed a clear field of view to blackmail people at their worse too.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLblCWMBUv0

Lots of moments I missed. Like Fat Chance immediately bringing up his figure's a result of a botched science experient, and the Revenge Society are immediately all 'Oh, yeah, been there'. And Dermott's delivery as Flying Sidekick is surprisingly solid even as he questions his own pronunciation.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Add a brick and you can have your very own Brick Frog action toy

Ajaxify
May 6, 2009
It took me a long time (stupidly) to figure out Lady Hawk and Mr. Lyndon Bee. They're my favorites from the revenge society interviews.

"Well by night, I turn into a hawk. But by day, he's a bee. And never the twain shall meet. Except during a eeeclipse o'course."

"Well of course... We'll have to interview Mr. Bee separately... when he's not... a bee."

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

That joke is such a good representation of how good venture bros is. How do you even come up with a lyndon johnson lady hawk mashup, just pure genius.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Yep. It's such a weird perfect joke, maybe my favorite from the entire run. Don't forget it's not just Lyndon/Ladybird and Ladyhawk mashed up, but Hawk and Dove Cloak and Dagger, too.

e: Apparently I get those duos mixed up. Maybe not so clearly the reference I assumed it was.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Feb 17, 2021

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

I will never not laugh at Crimerobot, the crime robot programmed to think only about crimes

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

fun detail. watched the episode where JJ opens the museum - the bit where he wants to take a picture of the boys' brigade. never noticed before that when Impossible walks in, the thing he's holding is a thong, presumably Sally's that he stole

Sockser posted:

I will never not laugh at Crimerobot, the crime robot programmed to think only about crimes

the way 21 pronounces "crimerobot" is wonderful

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
There are so many different ways to say crimerobot and they're all funny

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
If somebody built a Cri Me Robot, would it cry "ME! ME! ME!" or sob on your shoulder?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
In S2e1 Brock tells Doc that “I’ve told you, you can’t run the blow dryer and the microwave at the same time, they’re on the same circuit”... but why would doc be using the blow dryer? How is this the first time I’ve noticed that in the dozens of times I’ve seen this episode?

I don’t even think it’s an oversight, I think Doc would absolutely use one for something weird.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
It’s called a beard blow. You think his beard just looks that good?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Oh man and the therapist is the same guy as the one in Self Medication. How am I just noticing that one?

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Maybe he was thinking about putting on the ol' Rusty charm to an unfortunate lady later that day. Had to keep it dry down there.

Fartington Butts fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Mar 1, 2021

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Ugly In The Morning posted:

In S2e1 Brock tells Doc that “I’ve told you, you can’t run the blow dryer and the microwave at the same time, they’re on the same circuit”... but why would doc be using the blow dryer? How is this the first time I’ve noticed that in the dozens of times I’ve seen this episode?

I don’t even think it’s an oversight, I think Doc would absolutely use one for something weird.

"But how ELSE do you make Hot Buttered Rum, Brock?!"

pooch516
Mar 10, 2010

Fartington Butts posted:

Maybe he was thinking about putting on the ol' Rusty charm to an unfortunate lady later that day. Had to keep it dry down there.

"THAT'S MY DAISY!"

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

pooch516 posted:

"THAT'S MY DAISY!"

I thought God shaved your head?

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe

drrockso20 posted:

I thought God shaved your head?

He does!

... but he leaves the sides, Mr. Wisenheimer.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Taking my second desultory run at the recent Tick series

As much as VB owes to what The Tick was originally, how is it possible that it’s so difficult to make a Tick show that is funny? Or even just fun? I’m almost through the first season and I haven’t come across even a hint of comedy

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!

Data Graham posted:

As much as VB owes to what The Tick was originally, how is it possible that it’s so difficult to make a Tick show that is funny? Or even just fun? I’m almost through the first season and I haven’t come across even a hint of comedy

Second season was a lot better so maybe you'll like it more? I enjoyed both though and am sad it didn't get a 3rd.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I thought the amazon series was good, but dragging it out to Thirteen episodes was a mistake, having ten or so could've really tightened up the pacing

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

wait, hum. if rusty is a clone from a tank, how did he consume JJ in the womb?

well, plenty of possible answers to that, from “it wasn’t literal, you goober, JJ’s a sentient teratoma who grew inside him” to “Jonas’ first goes at cloning required a surrogate womb,” so I guess my main point is someone bring this show back goddammit

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

With Jonas, him talking about his 'potent science' could easily be read as an intention to enjoy impregnating Blue Morpho's wife, or to perform horrific science experiments under the pretence of helping them with their fertility issues.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

World War Mammories posted:

wait, hum. if rusty is a clone from a tank, how did he consume JJ in the womb?

well, plenty of possible answers to that, from “it wasn’t literal, you goober, JJ’s a sentient teratoma who grew inside him” to “Jonas’ first goes at cloning required a surrogate womb,” so I guess my main point is someone bring this show back goddammit

He coulda got brought back after the whole first birth thing, really he would've had to right?

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

If you enjoy looking at absolutely wild late 20th century interior design, there's a Twitter account that's nothing but.

https://twitter.com/CocaineDecor/status/1359957138894819328

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Ghost Leviathan posted:

With Jonas, him talking about his 'potent science' could easily be read as an intention to enjoy impregnating Blue Morpho's wife, or to perform horrific science experiments under the pretence of helping them with their fertility issues.

The obvious conclusion is that it was a innuendo for sex, but knowing this show? He's literally going to blast her with gamma rays or something.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Sash! posted:

The obvious conclusion is that it was a innuendo for sex, but knowing this show? He's literally going to blast her with gamma rays or something.

Depleted Uranium cock ring.

And in the commentaries they talk about looking through old furniture/design catalogs and sending things to the animators. It was a crap shoot if they decided it was too hard to draw right. I think jackson got really excited about the basket weave metal chair in ORB making it through.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Sash! posted:

Of course, meant more that it could go either way, which was probably on purpose. I do like how they hammer home Jonas is such a huge piece of poo poo that he ends up doing horrible things to people who consider him a friend without a second thought. Like, Rusty knows at least to use people no one cares about as fodder for his experiments.

Snark
Sep 19, 2003

no dice

TK-42-1 posted:

And in the commentaries they talk about looking through old furniture/design catalogs and sending things to the animators. It was a crap shoot if they decided it was too hard to draw right. I think jackson got really excited about the basket weave metal chair in ORB making it through.

Every now and then the retrofuturism subreddit posts a cool design from the 60s/70s and it gets reposted to the VB subreddit almost immediately because...

The inspiration for Venture's office with the underwater pool window is around somewhere too.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

of course Jonas boned Morpho's wife, that's why Rusty and the Monarch are blood related, right? it's yet another meaning to "the Venture brothers." like how the season 2 premiere opening implied the show would now be about Rusty and JJ as the "new" Venture brothers before the cloning reveal.

also lol, how many wives in this show have like one line tops? Morpho's wife has the "are you coming to bed?" line and I can't remember any others, the only thing Princess Tinyfeet ever says is "maize," Tatiana has appeared multiple times but the only time she's voiced that I can think of is when it's H Jon Benjamin is talking about how turned on he is

Gaius Marius posted:

He coulda got brought back after the whole first birth thing, really he would've had to right?

I'm having trouble parsing this, what do you mean?

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Of course, meant more that it could go either way, which was probably on purpose. I do like how they hammer home Jonas is such a huge piece of poo poo that he ends up doing horrible things to people who consider him a friend without a second thought. Like, Rusty knows at least to use people no one cares about as fodder for his experiments.

an important part of the venture brothers journey is realizing that, somehow, Rusty is actually a better father than Jonas

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Yeah, I mean Doc and Jackson used a ton of real-world reference in their design of the world, down to wallpaper patterns and furniture pieces and such. It's all very grounded in real historical designs and you can absolutely find the sources for much of it if you put in the legwork.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It's always possible that Rusty really is a clone and that the last clone ended up with some mutation that caused another mutated clone to grow inside him.

also lol, how many wives in this show have like one line tops? Morpho's wife has the "are you coming to bed?" line and I can't remember any others, the only thing Princess Tinyfeet ever says is "maize," Tatiana has appeared multiple times but the only time she's voiced that I can think of is when it's H Jon Benjamin is talking about how turned on he is

I think that comes down to them not having a lot of female voice actors to work with. They only have a few male voice actors and they all do several characters each besides Patrick Warburton. The main female character is voiced by a man, and they've only added more women since the show became more popular and they were able to hire other women.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

the only thing Princess Tinyfeet ever says is "maize,"
in fairness she's gagged half the time she's on screen which does not make it better

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I'll say it again, Rusty is a failed clone of Jonas (which is why Jonas Jr. looks so much like Sr.)

If you want to speculate further, I would say that not only is he a failed clone but he and malcolm full bothers rather than half brothers.

Jonas used his "powerful science" more than once and took an embryo to use as a basis for his own clone. It only partially worked though which lead to the absorption of a partially developed Jonas Jr.

This was all an attempt by Jonas to have a body to put his brain into, when it didn't work he developed P.R.O.B.L.E.M.

Malcom hates him because the "powerful science" drove a wedge between his parents (or, rather, parent.)

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Mar 5, 2021

feetnotes
Jan 29, 2008

I don't think it holds a lot of water to say they "weren't able to" hire female voice actors until later seasons. There were plenty of women voice actors from early on, from one-offs like Dr. Quymn and family, Moira (though she came back later), the saleswoman when Doc and Dean go to buy his first speed suit, or Lt. Baldavich, to recurring roles like Molotov and Triana.

The show is just more centered around men. It was created by men and it's primarily a show about and for men. Almost every woman in the show is primarily defined by her relationship with a man -- though this does get a little better in later seasons. And in some cases, that means they're such a prop that they literally don't have a voice.

Now, that's not to say there's nothing in the show women can enjoy -- I know many who do. And it's not to say I don't still enjoy it. But I think it's a fair critique of the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vidiot
Apr 4, 2011

feetnotes posted:

the saleswoman when Doc and Dean go to buy his first speed suit

On the commentary for that episode, they say that one of them (I think Publick) voiced that lady and it was pitched up in post. They do that every so often, like with Vain Gloria (the Eartha Kitt-sounding lady who has one line at Sgt. Hatred's party).

On a different commentary, they say that they never cast Triana's mom's voice because they wanted somebody notable but didn't want to possibly struggle to get them back later, like they did with Stephen Colbert and Bill Hader. It isn't a great reason for not casting more women VAs, but it's definitely a problem that they've struggled with before.

Vidiot fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Mar 5, 2021