Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
Man I’m getting jealous of some of these screenshots of swamps with tons and tons of crypts. I’ve spent 3 or 4 sessions now scouting for swamps, and have found a total of one crypt, which had ~50 iron in it.

How painful are the sea serpents in a karve? Would a couple of dudes with max finewood bows be able to deal with it, or is it just a “whoops your dead and your items are in the middle of the ocean” sort of thing? I think the next step to fix our swamp problem is to just go costal raiding (as opposed to slowly spreading out and checking full islands at a time) but my big concern is that we lose a bunch of poo poo in a hard to reach spot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It depends on the weather, kinda? You can outrun them when the wind is strong, I find, but sometimes not.

But you can usually take enough hits to make for land unless you're a fair way out. If you're going coastal raiding just stick within sight of land where possible, even if only the shadow on the horizon.

I plinked one half to death before it hosed off in a karve, so if you have more than one person who's a decent shot you should be OK I would think.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Level 4 Fine Bow and a stack of wood arrows gets them to gently caress off before they even get the boat below half health.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

causticBeet posted:

How painful are the sea serpents in a karve?

If you're being chased just turn into the strong wind and they're pretty easy to dodge as they attack if you're alone or worried about dps.

Really just need to be able to get to land

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

causticBeet posted:

I’m ok with torches needing a resource to burn, I just wish there was some way to say “allocate resources from xyz chests to fuel torches” and have to run around manually filling them.

That opens a whole rabbit hole though of requiring a UI to define which chests are a target for auto-allocating resources, as it would suck even more to discover I’m out of resin because my torches burned through all the stock in my base.

I’d settle for a happy medium or torches lasting forever, but taking significantly more resources to build.
Add a crafting/upkeep toggle to each chest, enabled by default

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Is there an easy way to get mushrooms? I tamed some boars but now they're hungry and I don't have more to feed them. Also, I think I went overboard on making a house and its two stories, got a nice roof, and way too much time spent on making it look decent when I should probably just go kill the first boss.

Woden
May 6, 2006
I chased one off while in a raft and the second bow, the raft had just over a pixel of HP left at the end of the fight so I had to baby it back to land.

Took me a while to get back in a boat.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
To condense a longish story: I found a good spot of land halfway between meadows and plains, this made for a good outpost and then I just kept building more poo poo on it for funsies, and I made a tavern:

Excellent view of the beach

Some crap on the walls

And patio dining

Anyone on Martin's goonserver is free to drop by and trade me finewood for anything else, I must decorate more so it's less boring

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?
Fourth boss summoning question:

Is Moder's summoning platform always on top of a giant mountain with no path up? I have to drag these eggs up sheer cliffs. I'm hoping my seed is just weird.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

That's certainly where mine was.

It's crucial to know that you can sprint-jump straight up cliff faces that you cannot walk up.

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

PittTheElder posted:

That's certainly where mine was.

It's crucial to know that you can sprint-jump straight up cliff faces that you cannot walk up.

Yeah that's how I managed to get up. Just felt super video gamey and dumb to sprint hop a ways, perch on a rock, then repeat all the way up. Kind of ruined the epic moment!

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
So uh, how do I deconstruct my old raft? I've had it at my dock for a while now (been using a karve for a bit. Haven't progressed to the third biome yet) and I would like to break it down for its resources, as well as to get that eyesore out of sight!

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus
I broke down after sailing all over trying to find a trader and checked the map generator site to see where one is.

gently caress you, Valheim

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Major Isoor posted:

So uh, how do I deconstruct my old raft? I've had it at my dock for a while now (been using a karve for a bit. Haven't progressed to the third biome yet) and I would like to break it down for its resources, as well as to get that eyesore out of sight!

Chop it up with a good axe. You'll get all the materials back so don't worry about losing any much needed resin

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Oh man does that go for all the boats? I never thought of just beaching the thing and carving it up. Would be super useful so that I don't have to worry about it getting smashed up in storms or whatever

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Just make sure to do it in shallow waters

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

toasterwarrior posted:

Just make sure to do it in shallow waters

Or at the very least someplace you can make a diving platform to get stuff that goes a little too deep

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

BobTheJanitor posted:

Minor quibble, but I kind of wish there were swords before bronze tier. Even if a wood or stone sword doesn't make a lot of sense. (not that it stopped minecraft) By the time you get to bronze, you've leveled up other weapons to the point that attacking with a sword does mediocre damage by comparison, so you go back to your trusty axe/club/whatever, meaning the sword falls even further behind. Or maybe just start your sword skill at 20ish, to compensate. You're a viking, you probably stabbed a few things in your time.

Edit: typo

nothing is vulnerable to slashing in this game and the sword's entire 'thing' is that it's easier to use and as a result its attacks are marginally faster and blah blah blah, so it kind of already has a niche. it's just a lovely one because you always have to carry an axe to chop wood, and if you're worried about durability you can always just craft a second axe. for general fighting the axe is plenty good enough so why overcomplicate things?

if you really care about such things, swords can still be argued for even with substantially lower skill because of how parries work. the faster attack speed means that you're able to get two retaliation strikes in where most weapons can only get one, so the lower skill you necessarily have with the sword is offset by the fact that you're doing double damage with more strikes. but this isn't super convincing when your alternatives include hitting enemies with things that they're vulnerable to in the first place so you're not locked into getting a parry to do big boy damage. this is especially true when 'hit enemies with what they're vulnerable to' is a boss mechanic that the game makes it very clear it's expecting you to utilize with starting with trolls - and it only gets more important from there.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Mar 5, 2021

Woden
May 6, 2006

Ravenfood posted:

Is there an easy way to get mushrooms? I tamed some boars but now they're hungry and I don't have more to feed them. Also, I think I went overboard on making a house and its two stories, got a nice roof, and way too much time spent on making it look decent when I should probably just go kill the first boss.

If you turn off grass it'll be easier to spot, other than that IDK.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Ravenfood posted:

Feed boars with carrots. We have a dedicated carrot field to slop the pigs with.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

Floppychop posted:

I built a wall all the way around my base, only open spot was where the boat could enter the dock.

Turns out the fuckers can attack while swimming. If I'm not paying super close attention to be able to hear the quiet thwacks of them hitting the boat they will kill it over time. Karve I could do two gates and have a sort of gated dock. I don't know what to do to keep the longship safe.

it's easiest to just park them a little furthe from shore, stuff won't swim out to attack them and they don't get moved or damaged by storms anyway. As long as you can swim to it you're sweet.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

DrBox posted:

Yeah that's how I managed to get up. Just felt super video gamey and dumb to sprint hop a ways, perch on a rock, then repeat all the way up. Kind of ruined the epic moment!

I see you have not played death stranding.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

it's easiest to just park them a little furthe from shore, stuff won't swim out to attack them and they don't get moved or damaged by storms anyway. As long as you can swim to it you're sweet.

Its all fun and games until they capsize and explode and all your poo poo's too deep to swim for

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I had to build a pier purely because every time it got windy the waves would bang the boat on the floor and damage it.

So park your boats in a natural harbour where the water never gets rough or park them deep enough that they don't hit the floor.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I made a spreadsheet because that's what I do when I'm enjoying a game.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

DarklyDreaming posted:

Chop it up with a good axe. You'll get all the materials back so don't worry about losing any much needed resin

Oh, I hadn't thought of that - thanks! And yep, that resin can go in my resin chest with all the rest, jam-packed in there :D

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
I use a sword because I got sick of wearing my axe down fighting idiots who won’t leave me alone

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I use a dagger because it's very satisfying backstabbing fools for 991 damage

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

Spanish Matlock posted:

Its all fun and games until they capsize and explode and all your poo poo's too deep to swim for

Huh, I never even knew boats could capsize in this, that's cool. Anyway that's how I've always parked mine and they've made it through plenty of bad storms and been fine :shrug:

ChristsDickWorship
Dec 7, 2004

Annihilate your demons

Azhais posted:

I use a dagger because it's very satisfying backstabbing fools for 991 damage

I've been maining a mace for combat but I probably have my flint knife equipped most because its fun to hunt with and you can just sprint around. Never even upgraded it to copper lol

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
Instead of your boat suddenly exploding, it should start taking on water. Use your helm to bail while you try to steer the thing to shore. Give us a fighting chance, dammit!

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
I want to give a shoutout to the "AnyPortal" mod that changes the portals from a paired system to a network where you just choose which one you want with a menu:
https://www.nexusmods.com/valheim/mods/170

It's a huge QOL improvement, especially if you combine it with Faster Teleportation https://www.nexusmods.com/valheim/mods/59 to knock the artificially long portal time down to about 2sec.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Valtonen posted:

Sounds to me like your next project involves finding nearest path from the lake to the sea proper and a lot of time with a pickace.

Honestly this hadn't occured to me prior to being mentioned. I have three canals to dig (across very low lying meadowlands), but it's totally gonna be worth it and will look great.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!

Lakitu7 posted:

I want to give a shoutout to the "AnyPortal" mod that changes the portals from a paired system to a network where you just choose which one you want with a menu:
https://www.nexusmods.com/valheim/mods/170

It's a huge QOL improvement, especially if you combine it with Faster Teleportation https://www.nexusmods.com/valheim/mods/59 to knock the artificially long portal time down to about 2sec.

While a proper portal network isnt that hard to do and I guess accomplishes similar, and this is an age old debate this seems quite "cheaty" to me vs like, pulling from chests nearby or having gear slots for your armor or torches that auto refill.

instant fast travel to any point on the map from any other point (including being able to carry around a portal & bail?) is a bit much for me

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Well I definitely wouldn't want to see that on a public server.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Jackard posted:

Well I definitely wouldn't want to see that on a public server.

What is the public server life like for Valhalla? It seems like it would be a nightmare with everything you own being immediately usable, destructible, or stealable by literally anyone.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
To me it's not cheaty when you could always rename a portal and wait 5 seconds, but to each his own.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Spanish Matlock posted:

What is the public server life like for Valhalla? It seems like it would be a nightmare with everything you own being immediately usable, destructible, or stealable by literally anyone.

Wards prevent theft

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!

Lakitu7 posted:

To me it's not cheaty when you could always rename a portal and wait 5 seconds, but to each his own.

This wouldn't work unless you left all of the portals unconnected, right? Or were constantly renaming them as soon as you stepped out?

I couldn't have PortalB <> PortalB already connected and then drop another connection to PortalB.

Just saying to me it's not QoL like not having to pull 3 types of wood from 5 chests all within 10 feet. I guess if you are already doing all of that renaming it's QoL, I could see that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
So I spent the night trying to tame two wolves on top of the one I tamed a day or two ago. Target was one, but two ran into my little pen area and were tamed! Oh, but within 30 seconds of them following me and arriving to our main base the game despawned both of the two new ones. I told both to stay by the entrance after I closed the door behind them, ran off to our forge/workbench area, and turned around to one wolf :mad:

Time to look around and see if there's a limit to tamed wolves.