Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I typically see Galahad as an extension of Lancelot’s problems, tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Well, he was the product of Lancelot's problematic extension.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Lancelot IIRC, lives out the rest of his life as a hermit monk, just as Guinevere lives out the rest of her life in a monastery. I don't think either of them die in battle in the traditional stories, but I could be mistaken, it has been a long time since I was a child and super into Arthurian legend.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

thetoughestbean posted:

I typically see Galahad as an extension of Lancelot’s problems, tbh

To me he's so much worse. He was created like fuckin 200 years after the last most recent iteration on the story by the guy retranslating the legend, he supplanted the previous guy who found the grail to be the guy who REALLY found the grail, and was given a bunch of feats that were previously attributed to other knights of the round table and generally inserted into every single important moment, and constantly pointed out to be the best of all the knights at everything as well as the most virtuous.

He's loving ridiculous. At least Lancelot had character flaws and like, pathos involving having to choose between love and loyalty.

It's like if I rewrote the iliad and added a soldier named Lurdiakes who is better than Achilles and helps him at every turn and wins the war for the Achaeans.

Gologle posted:

Lancelot IIRC, lives out the rest of his life as a hermit monk, just as Guinevere lives out the rest of her life in a monastery. I don't think either of them die in battle in the traditional stories, but I could be mistaken, it has been a long time since I was a child and super into Arthurian legend.

There's not exactly a definitive Arthurian legend.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Mar 5, 2021

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Eh, Malory is close enough, since he assembled and cobbled together several of the French and English legends.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Lurdiak posted:

a soldier named Lurdiakes who is better than Achilles and helps him at every turn and wins the war for the Achaeans.

the sensational character find of 850 BCE!!

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Galahad was an idiot for not sticking around for the oral sex.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I'll say this, one of my favorite things in the world is set of murals Edwin Austin Abbey did for the Boston Public Library in the 1890s, showing various scenes from the grail legend, and in my mind the greatest one is Galahad receiving the grail:

IIRC, Abbey had to fight a bit to get the precise placement he wanted for these pictures-- he wanted some, like this one, to be shrouded or disclosed a bit by natural light at various points of the day. It's really something to see in person if you are ever in Boston once things are opened again.

I am also quite interested whenever a poet I like has taken up Galahad as a subject, especially because from the 19th century onwards this paradox of a guy who is inhumanly pious and saintly but also despite all that a human made a lot of writer's heads short-circuit. Tennyson does a beautiful job even if he keeps changing his mind.... when he wrote about Galahad as a fairly young man, he shows the knight as cocksure, pompous, very self-satisfied in his sanctity. When he returns to the same subject decades later in Idylls of the King Galahad appears melancholy, almost crushed under the weight of his obligations.

William Morris' take, also from the 19th century, is heartbreaking to me. His Galahad is a psychologically realistic figure who is torn up by his partial awareness of himself as an ideal.

One of my favorite 20th century poets, Jack Spicer, wrote a very weird, funny book in 1962 called The Holy Grail. He does not have a lot of patience for Galahad, but this little bit has always stuck with me. It's one of those little scraps I can just reel off from the top of my head:

quote:

The Grail was merely a cannibal pot
Where some were served and some were not
This Galahad thinks.

The Grail was mainly the upper air
Where men don't gently caress and women don't stare
This Galahad thinks.

The Grail's alive as a starling at dawn
That shatters the earth with her noisy song
This Galahad thinks.

But the Grail is there. Like a red balloon
It carries him with it up past the moon
Poor Galahad thinks.

Blood in the stars and food on the ground
The only connection that ever was found
Is what rich Galahad thinks

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Push El Burrito posted:

Galahad was an idiot for not sticking around for the oral sex.

Galahad?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYDw25-RT5U
Edit: With bonus background reactions from Neil Gaiman.

muscles like this! fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Mar 5, 2021

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Doesn't Arthur end up in a barrow somewhere with Excalibur and the Holy Grail awaiting The End Times?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Infinitum posted:

Doesn't Arthur end up in a barrow somewhere with Excalibur and the Holy Grail awaiting The End Times?

That or he ends up on a boat on the way to Avalon.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe I've said this before, but there is no mythology more ripe for a sprawling story-rich action-rpg in the vein of The Witcher than Arthurian legend. Think of all the awesome knights you could hang out with and go on completely implausible adventures with. There are enough blank spots and contradictions within the stories that you can easily take creative liberties without betraying the spirit of things, too, because the spirit is "a bunch of people threw their ideas into this giant melting pot of contradictory theologies and values".

The ideal point of view character would probably be Percival, since he has fairly humble origins and is relatively young but ultimately ends up being the only one of the knights who finds the grail.

I'd make the thang ding myself if it was at all feasible to undertake such a project on the indie scale.

How Wonderful! posted:

I'll say this, one of my favorite things in the world is set of murals Edwin Austin Abbey did for the Boston Public Library in the 1890s, showing various scenes from the grail legend, and in my mind the greatest one is Galahad receiving the grail:

IIRC, Abbey had to fight a bit to get the precise placement he wanted for these pictures-- he wanted some, like this one, to be shrouded or disclosed a bit by natural light at various points of the day. It's really something to see in person if you are ever in Boston once things are opened again.

I am also quite interested whenever a poet I like has taken up Galahad as a subject, especially because from the 19th century onwards this paradox of a guy who is inhumanly pious and saintly but also despite all that a human made a lot of writer's heads short-circuit. Tennyson does a beautiful job even if he keeps changing his mind.... when he wrote about Galahad as a fairly young man, he shows the knight as cocksure, pompous, very self-satisfied in his sanctity. When he returns to the same subject decades later in Idylls of the King Galahad appears melancholy, almost crushed under the weight of his obligations.

William Morris' take, also from the 19th century, is heartbreaking to me. His Galahad is a psychologically realistic figure who is torn up by his partial awareness of himself as an ideal.

One of my favorite 20th century poets, Jack Spicer, wrote a very weird, funny book in 1962 called The Holy Grail. He does not have a lot of patience for Galahad, but this little bit has always stuck with me. It's one of those little scraps I can just reel off from the top of my head:

Galahad needs that Captain America/Superman layer where their awareness of their status weighs on them to be interesting. If he's merely perfect knightly virtue embodied there's very little to him as a person, and all he does is detract from the gripping foibles and tragic humanity of the myriad other characters.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

I believe I've said this before, but there is no mythology more ripe for a sprawling story-rich action-rpg in the vein of The Witcher than Arthurian legend. Think of all the awesome knights you could hang out with and go on completely implausible adventures with. There are enough blank spots and contradictions within the stories that you can easily take creative liberties without betraying the spirit of things, too, because the spirit is "a bunch of people threw their ideas into this giant melting pot of contradictory theologies and values".

The ideal point of view character would probably be Percival, since he has fairly humble origins and is relatively young but ultimately ends up being the only one of the knights who finds the grail.

I'd make the thang ding myself if it was at all feasible to undertake such a project on the indie scale.

Old-school game design Chris Crawford worked on a game concept forever that was a social sim of Camelot where all of the characters had personalities that interacted off each other. The idea was that the player would be dropped into the setting and emergent scenarios would occur in reaction to their behavior. It would have been something kind of similar to The Sims slamming into Crusader Kings. He never managed to turn it into something worth playing, though.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
It's a tangent from this tangent but I hope you're all reading Gillen's Once & Future which is basically this conversation in comic book form, albeit with more gun-wielding British grannies.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

Chinston Wurchill posted:

It's a tangent from this tangent but I hope you're all reading Gillen's Once & Future which is basically this conversation in comic book form, albeit with more gun-wielding British grannies.
I feel like the first trade was great, and then the pacing screeched to a halt with the introduction of Beowulf. Has it improved at all since he got sorted out?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

muscles like this! posted:

Galahad?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYDw25-RT5U
Edit: With bonus background reactions from Neil Gaiman.

Thanks for sharing that. I'm not sure why, but sometimes a person laughing at their own humor is charming and sometimes it's insufferable. This was the former.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

thetoughestbean posted:

Not really? Manga is nerd poo poo, in the same way that comics are nerd poo poo in the West. It’s not like Japan or other parts of Asia don’t have their own rich literary traditions.

Yes, they do and the bizarreness of manga and anime are less surprising in light of the rich Japanese literary traditions of bunraku/kabuki which can get pretty bizarre.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Elissimpark posted:

Yes, they do and the bizarreness of manga and anime are less surprising in light of the rich Japanese literary traditions of bunraku/kabuki which can get pretty bizarre.

I think you're sort of folding a really long and varied history of a country's creative works in half and making random bits touch there. The gonzo experimentation of modern manga and anime has a lot more to do with attempts to stand out in an increasingly overcrowded market than it has to do with kabuki tradition. You don't have to go very far back into the quite young history of anime to find eras where most of the products were very safe and standard compared to the weird poo poo you can see today or even in the 90s (when deconstructing genres became quite the fad).

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Lurdiak posted:

I think you're sort of folding a really long and varied history of a country's creative works in half and making random bits touch there. The gonzo experimentation of modern manga and anime has a lot more to do with attempts to stand out in an increasingly overcrowded market than it has to do with kabuki tradition. You don't have to go very far back into the quite young history of anime to find eras where most of the products were very safe and standard compared to the weird poo poo you can see today or even in the 90s (when deconstructing genres became quite the fad).

I'm not saying that the entirety of Japanese literature is weird or that any weirdness in historical Japanese literature is directly responsible for the weirdness in Japanese manga and anime, more that there seems to a greater cultural acceptance of that kind of weirdness than in the English canon. The oddness you sometimes see in kabuki or bunraku was probably driven by similar factors to those that you mention - kabuki and bunraku, I understand, were the entertainment for the masses; the fancy people sat through Noh plays.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Elissimpark posted:

I'm not saying that the entirety of Japanese literature is weird or that any weirdness in historical Japanese literature is directly responsible for the weirdness in Japanese manga and anime, more that there seems to a greater cultural acceptance of that kind of weirdness than in the English canon. The oddness you sometimes see in kabuki or bunraku was probably driven by similar factors to those that you mention - kabuki and bunraku, I understand, were the entertainment for the masses; the fancy people sat through Noh plays.

But what plays did the fancy people in Japanese society sit through?

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Are we still talking about King Arthur, because everyone should be reading Once and Future, which is mainly about how the old tales are far more horrible than we tell them.

There's also a sequence where a bunch of Britain First style racists get killed by zombie King Arthur for being Anglo-Saxons instead of true Celts

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

The Question IRL posted:

But what plays did the fancy people in Japanese society sit through?

Boo.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Are we still talking about King Arthur, because everyone should be reading Once and Future, which is mainly about how the old tales are far more horrible than we tell them.

There's also a sequence where a bunch of Britain First style racists get killed by zombie King Arthur for being Anglo-Saxons instead of true Celts
Agreed.

Once and Future #1

As corny as it is, I'm always a sucker for that kind of line.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Elissimpark posted:

I don’t know if traditional Japanese stories/storytelling are any more bizarre than traditional stories anywhere else, it’s just we don’t have the cultural context/familiarity for it

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

King Arthur for sure died either on his way to Avalon or on his way back, because there's no way things haven't gotten bad enough in the world for him to return by now. <:mad:>

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

thetoughestbean posted:

I don’t know if traditional Japanese stories/storytelling are any more bizarre than traditional stories anywhere else, it’s just we don’t have the cultural context/familiarity for it

Yeah, imagine hearing like Hansel and Gretel for the first time, as an adult.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

JordanKai posted:

King Arthur for sure died either on his way to Avalon or on his way back, because there's no way things haven't gotten bad enough in the world for him to return by now. <:mad:>

He popped back once and realized he was early and apologized, and now feels a bit awkward about trying again.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

John Dyne posted:

He popped back once and realized he was early and apologized, and now feels a bit awkward about trying again.

Just like Jesus!

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

JordanKai posted:

He’s only focused on Britain.

Do you think he’d support Brexit?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

thetoughestbean posted:

He’s only focused on Britain.

Do you think he’d support Brexit?

Once and Future Arthur 100% would.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

This is awesome

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Kill Six Billion Demons, Fabulously Badass

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

mad, mad respect for the intricately designed form Allison/Cio had for two whole pages, and will probably never be shown again

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Flesh Forge posted:

mad, mad respect for the intricately designed form Allison/Cio had for two whole pages, and will probably never be shown again

didn't they do the fusion thing for a good stretch of the tournament arc?

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

The best part is Abbadon's alt-text complaint for the blue ali-cio form: "Very happy for a while I no longer had to draw this design, but joke's on me, I am a fool"

Then for this page: "Man Catastrophically Owns Himself by Replacing Complicated Character Design with Even More Complicated Character Design"

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
That triple form is so loving rad

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LordSaturn posted:

didn't they do the fusion thing for a good stretch of the tournament arc?

Oops, you're right, that was a very big deal too :kiddo:

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Mar 19, 2021

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Started reading K6BD for the first time this week after having it saved in my bookmarks for years. Pretty cool so far but still waiting to get to the real combat. It's funny reading through the comments on each post and seeing a guy from Image even very early on offering to publish.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Balon posted:

That triple form is so loving rad

there are 3s everywhere on it :kimchi:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

It is so good.

This last chapter has been complete insanity, and I'm here for every moment.

Going to be incredibly sad when this end.