Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Salt Fish posted:

That aside its also insane to say "this vaccine would work if every got it, but they won't so you shouldn't get because its a bullshit vaccine".

Yeah, let us, in pursuit of the greater good, tell bad lies to people looking for information to protect themselves and their families.

It worked so well last time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Platystemon posted:

Yeah, let us, in pursuit of the greater good, tell bad lies to people looking for information to protect themselves and their families.

It worked so well last time.

What lies? The J&J vaccine is effective at preventing death, serious illness and initial infection of the coronavirus. Anyone here who has a chance to get it would be endangering themselves and others to turn it down and try to wait for a "better" vaccine that hasn't been tested against the predominate b117 strain that is what you'll actually encounter in the wild if you live in the US.

yook
Mar 11, 2001

YES, CLIFFORD THE BIG RED DOG IS ABSOLUTELY A KAIJU
Given 4 states are dropping COVID restrictions at the mere promise of a vaccine and the way my work commute is nearly back to where it was pre-pandemic, I’m not sure you can assume on maintaining a similar level of personal safety going forward without having at least some kind of vaccine yourself unless you just literally never leave your bunker.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Thom Yorke raps posted:

So uhhh Biden is saying we will have enough vaccine doses by May? How much should I trust the politician on that? I just started trying to schedule this surgery, I can put it off for awhile so I set it for August... But if we're gonna be vaccinated, I wanna move that up to June or July... but would hate to do that, and then NOT be vaccinated, and have to be in the hospital unvaccinated.

I guess random goons probably can't answer "How full of crap is this politician", but figured I'd ask

The US is doing very very well on the pace of vaccines right now. The climb is steady and slowly accelerating so it seems reasonable to move some projections up. J&J being added to the mix should only help bring this up faster.
For comparison, most of Europe has only gotten the first dose out to 4-8% of their population due to limited supply from the manufacturers, while the US is now at 16%.

yook posted:

Given 4 states are dropping COVID restrictions at the mere promise of a vaccine and the way my work commute is nearly back to where it was pre-pandemic, I’m not sure you can assume on maintaining a similar level of personal safety going forward without having at least some kind of vaccine yourself unless you just literally never leave your bunker.

Well there are still those of us who are able to work completely from home and order home delivery for everything. Those people should continue to do that even if vaccinated, and they might not be the ones that should worry too much about getting the shot right now - but should of course still take it when offered.

The thing is, as was already posted on the last page, if you get the J&J shot now and it turns out to be crap, you can still get one of the other vaccines later, when there is a surplus. And no one will be offered a choice of vaccines, so the choice is 65% efficacy (at 28 days out) or 0% because you declined it.

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Mar 5, 2021

Pastamania
Mar 5, 2012

You cannot know.
The things I've seen.
The things I've done.
The things he made me do.
Vaccine efficacy isn't like HP in a loving video games. It's a little more complicated and nuanced than 'big number gooder than smaller number'.

Right now the mortality rate is, what, 0.5% typically? So 1 / 2000 people who get Covid die.

If a vaccine is 90% effective at preventing death (Which is different than 'efficacy', which generally means any sort of symptom, up to and including a runny nose - and so far the actual number is looks like it's better than 90% than that on all the vaccines) now you've got a 1/180,000 chance of dying. I'll take that chance.

It's unfortunate that some of the more hysterical commentators were all :bahgawd: :bahgawd: 'Its just the flu!!!':bahgawd: :bahgawd: because once the vaccine rollout is done, the numbers really are just like the flu, albeit a pretty bad flu year.

There is a cost to living like this, and while it's a cost worth paying compared to a 0.5% death rate and at worst the equivalent number of long covid sufferers, the vaccine changes that equation significantly.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe
0.5% is 1/200

Greader
Oct 11, 2012
Oh boy, coworker's daughter was found positive so he is in quarantine. No clue yet if he is, or if he even gets tested (Not sure what the rules are here in germany) but this is wonderful to hear literally right after I was able to mentally relax about some other work bullshit I had to deal with lately. And you can bet that safety measures and such are mostly a joke and security theater here so if he got it and spread it, then you can basically send the entire facility here to get tested.

It's really disheartening hearing on the radio how the government also decided on a new ruleset for the lockdown that loosens restrictions and it being justified everywhere with "Oh, we gotta safe the companies going bankrupt! People are sick of staying at home and not being able to do stuff!" when I've had to go to work where practically nothing changed except for the before-mentioned below minimum of safety measures for basically the entire time this pandemic has been happening, and especially now as there is a actual possible link which would get this virus into here.

Maybe I should take a trip over to the US and see about getting some of that sweet vaccine stuff I have heard about in legends. I am sure if I shove enough guns into my luggage on the flight over there I will be seen as a citizen :v:

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Greader posted:

Oh boy, coworker's daughter was found positive so he is in quarantine. No clue yet if he is, or if he even gets tested (Not sure what the rules are here in germany) but this is wonderful to hear literally right after I was able to mentally relax about some other work bullshit I had to deal with lately. And you can bet that safety measures and such are mostly a joke and security theater here so if he got it and spread it, then you can basically send the entire facility here to get tested.

It's really disheartening hearing on the radio how the government also decided on a new ruleset for the lockdown that loosens restrictions and it being justified everywhere with "Oh, we gotta safe the companies going bankrupt! People are sick of staying at home and not being able to do stuff!" when I've had to go to work where practically nothing changed except for the before-mentioned below minimum of safety measures for basically the entire time this pandemic has been happening, and especially now as there is a actual possible link which would get this virus into here.

Maybe I should take a trip over to the US and see about getting some of that sweet vaccine stuff I have heard about in legends. I am sure if I shove enough guns into my luggage on the flight over there I will be seen as a citizen :v:

bring me an MP7 and I'll get you all 3

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Pastamania posted:

Vaccine efficacy isn't like HP in a loving video games. It's a little more complicated and nuanced than 'big number gooder than smaller number'.

Right now the mortality rate is, what, 0.5% typically? So 1 / 2000 people who get Covid die.

If a vaccine is 90% effective at preventing death (Which is different than 'efficacy', which generally means any sort of symptom, up to and including a runny nose - and so far the actual number is looks like it's better than 90% than that on all the vaccines) now you've got a 1/180,000 chance of dying. I'll take that chance.

It's unfortunate that some of the more hysterical commentators were all :bahgawd: :bahgawd: 'Its just the flu!!!':bahgawd: :bahgawd: because once the vaccine rollout is done, the numbers really are just like the flu, albeit a pretty bad flu year.

There is a cost to living like this, and while it's a cost worth paying compared to a 0.5% death rate and at worst the equivalent number of long covid sufferers, the vaccine changes that equation significantly.

You're right, it's like XCOM

Ape Fist
Feb 23, 2007

Nowadays, you can do anything that you want; anal, oral, fisting, but you need to be wearing gloves, condoms, protection.

Greader posted:

I live in Germany too and frankly the German population has largely, massively been obedient over lockdowns and it still seems to do gently caress all. Merkel couldn't have extended the lockdown any further without concessions without genuine civil unrest being a threat.

What does bother me is no mandate for shops and stuff providing hand-cleaning stations, that's really loving dumb.

If my test comes back positive then its 100% because I got it touching the trolley in Netto.

Edit: but yeah the vaccine roll out is a national loving embarrassment.

Ape Fist fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Mar 5, 2021

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Anyone refusing to take the J&J vaccine because it's not bougie enough is a fuckin rear end in a top hat.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

vyst posted:

Anyone refusing to take the J&J vaccine because it's not bougie enough is a fuckin rear end in a top hat.

Sorry but I only take artisanal vaccines, you can really feel the artistry and love

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Plant MONSTER. posted:

Sorry but I only take artisanal vaccines, you can really feel the artistry and love

Homebrew plasma from the nice lady at the farmer's market who probably had covid last fall

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

vyst posted:

Yep. Exhibit A:

https://twitter.com/ChadLivengood/status/1367608621224386564

E: imagine if your parents live in Detroit and you've been desperately ringing around trying to arrange jabs for them only to be told that thousands of doses got turned back because their trials were slightly less efficacious than some other vax trials (which were run months ago against original wild type coronavirus, unlike this recent vax which was tested while all the new more contagious coronavirus variants were running wild)

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Mar 5, 2021

naem
May 29, 2011

multiple vaccines with variant upgrades and booster shots every six months to a year for multiple years is like, what is already happening so just get a drat shot already morons

yes there will be additional shots latter

shots good

shots

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Yep. Exhibit A:

https://twitter.com/ChadLivengood/status/1367608621224386564

E: imagine if your parents live in Detroit and you've been desperately ringing around trying to arrange jabs for them only to be told that thousands of doses got turned back because their trials were slightly less efficacious than some other vax trials (which were run months ago against original wild type coronavirus, unlike this recent vax which was tested while all the new more contagious coronavirus variants were running wild)

God, this makes me so mad.

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

explosivo posted:

God, this makes me so mad.

Health Canada just approved J&J.

Someone bring it to the and boarder!

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

Happy one year anniversary!

:smith:

I'd take a J&J all day. One shot is pretty appealing.

pro starcraft loser fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Mar 5, 2021

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I just want a vaccine so I don't have to help avoid the off chance I bring death into my family home, even if it's slightly less efficacious goddamn

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo
J&J did everything right and trialed on hard mode, they've been basically fully vindicated especially since they're working on boosters already, especially with the dick-shaped graph standing proud out to day 56.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !

naem posted:

multiple vaccines with variant upgrades and booster shots every six months to a year for multiple years is like, what is already happening so just get a drat shot already morons

yes there will be additional shots latter

shots good

shots

naem
May 29, 2011

that would make a good PSA

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Also you're not allowed to take the J&J vax if you're Catholic because of the stem cells

https://twitter.com/KyleClark/status/1367580996330168322

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Mar 5, 2021

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !

naem posted:

that would make a good PSA

unfortunately we'd have to market all the way up to the loving governor this is what Im looking at right now

does not look like its going to be revised any time soon but will keep checking

zgrowler2
Oct 29, 2011

HOW DOES THE IPHONE APP WORK?? I WILL SPAM ENDLESSLY EVERYWHERE AND DISREGARD ANY REPLIES
I scheduled a Janssen dose at a CVS in the county for tomorrow, 3/6. Still have an mRNA first jab farther away scheduled for 3/17. Requesting trip reports if possible from any other goons who double down on jab types, whether that's hurdles with getting the mRNA version or potential negative experiences with either jab. Canceling my second appt if the first one goes through alright. Will update as I can. Y'all stay safe out there

zgrowler2 fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Mar 5, 2021

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

So you're mixing and matching intentionally?

Aside from the other issues with that a less than two week gap is probably much too short and could blunt the boost's benefits.

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

zgrowler2 posted:

I scheduled a Janssen dose at a CVS in the county for tomorrow, 3/6. Still have an mRNA first jab farther away scheduled for 3/17. Requesting trip reports if possible from any other goons who double down on jab types, whether that's hurdles with getting the mRNA version or potential negative experiences with either jab. Will update as I can. Y'all stay safe out there

Probably you want to stick with one vaccine or the other. An 11 day spacing between two different vaccines which have never been trialed together is likely to do more harm than good. Regardless of the mix and match, taking vaccines too close together (<3 weeks) can impact the effectiveness of the second vaccine because your immune system will not respond to it as separate event, which is what you want.

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo
Also you might have a really really rough time with side effects like some of the people who recovered from covid with a good immunity and then got an mRNA vaccine.

zgrowler2
Oct 29, 2011

HOW DOES THE IPHONE APP WORK?? I WILL SPAM ENDLESSLY EVERYWHERE AND DISREGARD ANY REPLIES

Scarodactyl posted:

So you're mixing and matching intentionally?

Aside from the other issues with that a less than two week gap is probably much too short and could blunt the boost's benefits.

I initially considered it, after feedback and some more research I'm gonna cancel the mRNA one if the Janssen one goes through. My qualifying employment is in a bit of a grey area (am functionally an educational support staff member, am financially employed by my city at the direct request of the school I work at) so I wanna hold my slot through tomorrow in case there are any red flags at CVS. I don't know how much (if at all) verification differs on the private side versus public sector side.

SchnorkIes posted:

Probably you want to stick with one vaccine or the other. An 11 day spacing between two different vaccines which have never been trialed together is likely to do more harm than good. Regardless of the mix and match, taking vaccines too close together (<3 weeks) can impact the effectiveness of the second vaccine because your immune system will not respond to it as separate event, which is what you want.

Also you might have a really really rough time with side effects like some of the people who recovered from covid with a good immunity and then got an mRNA vaccine.

Solid points, that window is pretty close together. It'll be better to get one than to act as a bleeding edge guinea pig. Thank y'all for the feedback!

zgrowler2 fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Mar 5, 2021

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Also you're not allowed to take the J&J vax if you're Catholic because of the stem cells

https://twitter.com/KyleClark/status/1367580996330168322

Pope said it was cool though.

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

zgrowler2 posted:

I initially considered it, after feedback and some more research I'm gonna cancel the mRNA one if the Janssen one goes through. My qualifying employment is in a bit of a grey area (am functionally an educational support staff member, am financially employed by my city at the direct request of the school I work at) so I wanna hold my slot through tomorrow in case there are any red flags at CVS. I don't know how much (if at all) verification differs on the private side versus public sector side.

In most states there is zero verification at private pharmacies beyond maybe proof of age for an old people group. I got a vaccine at a Rite Aid and they took my out-of-state drivers license without blinking and asked no other questions. They're not the vaccine police.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

SchnorkIes posted:

Probably you want to stick with one vaccine or the other.

The UK government, several US states and I think even the Australian government have released statements saying that people might get given a different vaccine for their second dose and that's nothing to worry about, although I'm pretty sure that's just them covering their asses in preparation for the inevitable mistakes and supply shortfalls that are guaranteed to happen and not actual medical advice

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jan/02/england-health-officials-defend-contingency-plan-to-mix-covid-vaccines

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Pope said it was cool though.

The US Catholic archbishops apparently didn't get the message :ssh:

zgrowler2
Oct 29, 2011

SchnorkIes posted:

In most states there is zero verification at private pharmacies beyond maybe proof of age for an old people group. I got a vaccine at a Rite Aid and they took my out-of-state drivers license without blinking and asked no other questions. They're not the vaccine police.

Oh thank christ, this is good to know

FiskTireBoy
Nov 2, 2020
I know that this never would have happened, but I really wish the vaccine manufacturers didn't list the efficiency rates when they were in trials. A simple "this vaccine is highly effective against the virus" should have been all they said. That way we wouldn't have gotten into this drat pissing match over which one is better and all the repercussions that go along with it. They really didn't account for how incredibly dumb the average American and most of our political leadership is.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

FiskTireBoy posted:

I know that this never would have happened, but I really wish the vaccine manufacturers didn't list the efficiency rates when they were in trials. A simple "this vaccine is highly effective against the virus" should have been all they said. That way we wouldn't have gotten into this drat pissing match over which one is better and all the repercussions that go along with it. They really didn't account for how incredibly dumb the average American and most of our political leadership is.

Lack of transparency in vaccine trials would be abused so fast it'd make your head spin. When the early data out of... What was it, AstraZeneca, was muddy as hell, the science community commentary was basically "this lack of transparency is dangerous, there is a reason we don't do things like this and they should know better."

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

vyst posted:

it's a vaccine for BABIES

7of7
Jul 1, 2008

Alan Smithee posted:

it's a vaccine for BABIES

Johnson&Johnson Tear-Free Vaccine

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

FiskTireBoy posted:

They can't exactly hide the data and that would make vaccine hesitancy skyrocket.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

FiskTireBoy posted:

When was the last time a corporate entity told you to take something into your body because "It's fine. Fine. It's really fine. Promise. Fine."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

AstraZeneca is going to start being made available to adults under 75 here in Alberta on March 15 and they except everyone to have their first dose by the end of June. That's the first news we've gotten since "Maybe Fall lol"