Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

PostNouveau posted:

They actually used the "Marge becomes a robot" one last season.

Hrist posted:

The show will never end until Bart FINALLY owns a bear. Everything else has been done. But not the bear. They're saving it for the swansong of the series.

Das Boo posted:

Also the crazy wedding essentially happened with Grandpa and Selma.

Are these all references to the same thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
That Be Nine Rewind sounds like a reference to Source Code and Edge of Tomorrow, but I'm probably not gonna watch it to find out

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

On the Facebook announcement for this, there were of course several "still better than 90% of everything else on TV!" comments. It makes me want to scream. I remember telling that to myself in like 2002. But:

1. I was a dumb high schooler
2. One could still be holding out hope at that time that the show could get good again without seeming completely insane
3. "prestige TV" wasn't a thing yet and TV was still mostly littered with reality TV and 90's holdover sitcoms.

But now? NOW? How much of a rock must you be living under, and/or how much would you have to be deluding yourself to actually think this?
https://twitter.com/sepinwall/status/1367184077695160322?s=21

RichardA
Sep 1, 2006
Dinosaur Gum

simplefish posted:

Are these all references to the same thing?

https://youtu.be/1oUXUn30hts?t=27

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
https://www.dictionary.com/e/word-of-the-day/

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

I'm ebiggend by this

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Last Chance posted:

I do this too and I find my attention wandering to just about anything else in my general vicinity and ten minutes will go by and I have no idea what's happening in the episode

Well neither do the writers!

And they're bad at writing jokes because they never know when to stop.

They just keep going on and then they say something mean spirited.

You smell bad!

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

In Hell, streaming options, television, movies, or any moving pictures media simply doesn’t exist. Only the past fifteen to twenty years of the Simpsons on an old busted rear end CRT TV.

And your only musical option is a cassette of Simpsons Sing the Blues.

For all eternity.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Listen, Bart. You smell bad! Now I'm going to ignore you while I browse PikTok on my Mapple MyPhone.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Even if this were true, since when does a <10% good episode rate make for a "good show"

pooch516
Mar 10, 2010

Failed Imagineer posted:

That Be Nine Rewind sounds like a reference to Source Code and Edge of Tomorrow, but I'm probably not gonna watch it to find out

Also Happy Death Day

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I watched the Thanksgiving horror episode from last year after a Youtube channel recommended it as a good latter day Simpsons and man, the segment with two Marges just really showcased how bad her voice is now.

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

We must never speak of this!

Failed Imagineer posted:

Yeah, they even referenced Edge of Tomorrow in it because they jammed Comic Book Guy in for exposition.

(There was a kinda good meta-joke in that scene at the start but the rest of average and one didn't even make sense.)

"When talking about time loops in film, Comic Book Guy showed Lisa and Nelson a picture from Edge of Tomorrow. He said that what stopped the time loop was the film performing poorly in the box office, likely due to "Tom Cruise syndrome"."

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

was just thinking of something recently. a little while back someone in the TV forum posted an image of the the cartoon network schedule on an average week (this was in 2018 i believe), and the entire schedule was pretty much nothing but teen titans go. it was insane. it's literally the TTG channel, with special guest appearances by the occasional non-TTG show. this isn't a new phenomenon by any means, but it was one that i've complained about as far back as 2005 when nickelodeon was basically made up of spongebob and fairly oddparents.

now, here's the thing. i haven't had cable t.v. since like 2013 i think. so technically, none of this poo poo effects me in any way. in fact, one of the great things about streaming services is that they allow actual new content to, you know, EXIST. and yet, i couldn't help but go into convulsions when i saw that schedule.

similarly, i haven't seen a single full episode of the simpsons since 2009. and if it weren't for this thread, it wouldn't even exist in my world. yet i can't help but seeth every time i see it renewed. and i'm not sure why

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Looking at this screenshot injured me

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Were they nerdy enough to reference the light novel Edge of Tomorrow rips from, or did all the nerds dip when Futurama was a thing?

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
Comic Book Guy's widely beloved channel, comicbookguychannel

Well What Now
Nov 10, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Shredded Hen
The Simpsons is extremely bad now and should end.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Well What Now posted:

The Simpsons is extremely bad now and should end.

This man was just unfrozen from the year 2000

No one tell him

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Maximum Sexy Pigeon posted:

Yeah, they even referenced Edge of Tomorrow in it because they jammed Comic Book Guy in for exposition.

(There was a kinda good meta-joke in that scene at the start but the rest of average and one didn't even make sense.)

"When talking about time loops in film, Comic Book Guy showed Lisa and Nelson a picture from Edge of Tomorrow. He said that what stopped the time loop was the film performing poorly in the box office, likely due to "Tom Cruise syndrome"."

drat they really burned infamous box-office poison Tom Cruise. gently caress this show

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem

Failed Imagineer posted:

Sounds to me more specifically like Russian Doll, recent Netflix series. Here's that show's premise as described by Wikipedia.

"Russian Doll follows a woman named Nadia on her journey as the guest of honor at a seemingly inescapable party one night in New York City. She dies repeatedly, always restarting at the same moment at the party, as she tries to figure out what is happening to her. She meets a man who is experiencing exactly the same thing in a different event."

It's also about a lady at her birthday party.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Ooh, I wouldn't want to be Tom Cruise right now!

(or ever really)

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

I like the old version of Tom Cruise better

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

womb with a view posted:

Probably because it actually looks like a caricature of Tom Cruise

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

womb with a view posted:

The Rain Man parody in that scene is definitely a low point of good Simpsons.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

womb with a view posted:

This is a huge difference about classic Simpsons vs. modern Simpsons. Celebrities were cartoonish caricatures of them selves, but were instantly recognizable and blended in with the setting and people without a member of the family having to proclaim, “Wow, current recording artist and celebrity star Billie Eilish! What are you doing in Springfield?!” Also, Billie Eilish would look realistically human with shadows/shading to emphasize realism in a sea of flat yellow people with circles for eyes and overbites.

I think the first instance of that poo poo was the horrid Alec Baldwin and Kim Basinger episode. God what a poo poo of a gently caress of an episode.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Mr Interweb posted:

was just thinking of something recently. a little while back someone in the TV forum posted an image of the the cartoon network schedule on an average week (this was in 2018 i believe), and the entire schedule was pretty much nothing but teen titans go. it was insane. it's literally the TTG channel, with special guest appearances by the occasional non-TTG show. this isn't a new phenomenon by any means, but it was one that i've complained about as far back as 2005 when nickelodeon was basically made up of spongebob and fairly oddparents.

I haven't had cable since 2007 or 2008, but that observation basically applies to all cable channels these days. It's one niche show per channel, and it's non stop for like 18 hours per day.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Urdnot Fire posted:

The Rain Man parody in that scene is definitely a low point of good Simpsons.

That's as much about Rain Man ageing poorly as Simpsons itself.

Now, if Simpsons parodies that Sia movie 2 years from now, then we'll have a problem

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

steinrokkan posted:

Probably because it actually looks like a caricature of Tom Cruise

On the other hand, I go back and forth as to whether I like the Dustin Hoffman.

I think the James Bond parody they could've gone with instead is a bit better overall.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Woah the guy who voices Jimmy Pesto on Bob's Burgers apparently was in the mob that attacked the capitol.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Woah the guy who voices Jimmy Pesto on Bob's Burgers apparently was in the mob that attacked the capitol.

Pretty on-brand tbf.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

https://twitter.com/reviewngnetwork/status/1368732989174263811?s=20

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

wow it was convenient he was carrying a block of wood

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
Elin Degenerous

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Last Chance posted:

I do this too and I find my attention wandering to just about anything else in my general vicinity and ten minutes will go by and I have no idea what's happening in the episode

Wow, how do the writers make you feel exactly like they do like that?

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
The only people that still "watch" The Simpsons aside from people like us who randomly feel like torturing ourselves are people who put it on and stare at their phone the whole time. They then assume they didn't understand the episode because they weren't paying attention but it must have been decent, but in reality it wouldn't have made any logical sense even if they did pay attention.

I'm not just saying that either, I know several people who insist that they still watch the Simpsons and still like it, but never ever actually pay attention to an episode.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Where?

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

The only people that still "watch" The Simpsons aside from people like us who randomly feel like torturing ourselves are people who put it on and stare at their phone the whole time. They then assume they didn't understand the episode because they weren't paying attention but it must have been decent, but in reality it wouldn't have made any logical sense even if they did pay attention.

I'm not just saying that either, I know several people who insist that they still watch the Simpsons and still like it, but never ever actually pay attention to an episode.

are people who left the TV on accidentally

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

WeaponX posted:

are people who left the TV on accidentally

I'll admit it, that's how I usually watch the Simpsons these days.

It's been a minute, because I sorta stopped carving out time for the Fox Sunday Night Cartoons, but there was a time where I would just put on my old Simpsons DVDs during the new episodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Iron Crowned posted:

I'll admit it, that's how I usually watch the Simpsons these days.

It's been a minute, because I sorta stopped carving out time for the Fox Sunday Night Cartoons, but there was a time where I would just put on my old Simpsons DVDs during the new episodes.

I checked the Sunday FOX schedule to see what people might be watching before forgetting to turn the TV off and apparently it’s a slot machine based game show hosted by the guy from American Pie so yeah that’s something that exists