Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Experimental Skin
Apr 16, 2016

Bronze Fonz posted:

That E:D mission looked pretty bland as did the FPS mechanics but they did specify this is pre-alpha, and unlike CIG this is an actual game developer using those terms. We'll see how it turns out.

Having non actors pretending a script is always a poor choice for presentation.

Experimental Skin fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Mar 5, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Jonny Shiloh posted:

Or maybe they just need bartender.subsumption.ai?

:trustme:

how much of that stuff on the whiteboards do you think was just added for effect?

'ok make some sciency looking stuff over there, and some math equations over there... ok not enough MORE MORE and make that bit over there blue'

i'm going to suggest ALL of the right hand board was simply for that picture, since the one on the left has obviously been used a few times, the one on the right is basically brand new *sherlock hat off*

commence hand waving!

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

I really hope they try to release SQ54 on consoles.

They will get slaughtered.

It'll make Cyberpunk 2077's launch look good by comparison.

They're so used to showing off this game to their tiny cultivated group of mega backers, cut off from any real critism.

A console release would kill the project. Guaranteed.

Any release will kill the project, that's why they keep pushing Squadron 404 back. I'd be willing to bet that it's kinda a Duke Nukem Forever situation where there have been several internal builds that were well past 50% done, only to be scrapped when it was realized they were crap (or when Crobberts decided he wanted to do something else).

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Right hand definitely.
It's all spaced out evenly, theres no near intrusions or overlappings at all.

Left one is Chris' on how farts disperse through space stations.

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

Invading your personal space since 1968.

Bronze Fonz posted:

That E:D mission looked pretty bland as did the FPS mechanics but they did specify this is pre-alpha, and unlike CIG this is an actual game developer using those terms. We'll see how it turns out.

The real game is making CIG look like buffoons, and this is a masterpiece.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Blue On Blue posted:

how much of that stuff on the whiteboards do you think was just added for effect?

'ok make some sciency looking stuff over there, and some math equations over there... ok not enough MORE MORE and make that bit over there blue'

i'm going to suggest ALL of the right hand board was simply for that picture, since the one on the left has obviously been used a few times, the one on the right is basically brand new *sherlock hat off*

commence hand waving!

Yeah looking at the whiteboards in detail they do seem sus. The right board all looks like proper engineering thoughts on a whiteboard, but its a weird concentration of different ideas.

I feel like you'd nail down a couple of these things, then go to writing down the spec or implementing them, then come back and erase it and work on the next component, not all at once like this.

The left board is, on the other hand, straight up illegible. I don't know how that could be useful to anything. It looks like several layers of different things on top of each other. Seems staged.

If you took out all the colored markers and just had the black it'd look a lot more realistic.

Baby Proof
May 16, 2009

The whiteboard was explicitly meant to be a joke prop.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Baby Proof posted:

The whiteboard was explicitly meant to be a joke prop.

I mean, what isn't?

Last King
Sep 29, 2007

In corporate R'lyeh, Cthulhu works you.

Fun Shoe

i believe this whiteboard contains more thought and purpose than the cig one...

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
:reddit: Some info for comparison. This is why I’m not worried.
Another game that I really enjoy but it has a very small “world” and was built on pre-existing engines with very little changes. So the current pace with SC doesn’t seem off to me.

:stare:

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Quavers posted:

Another game that I really enjoy but it has a very small “world” and was built on pre-existing engines with very little changes. So the current pace with SC doesn’t seem off to me.

Forgive me if I'm wrong but Red Dead 2 was actually complete after 8 years, yeah?

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

Beet Wagon posted:

Forgive me if I'm wrong but Red Dead 2 was actually complete after 8 years, yeah?

Yeah but they didn't have to build a studio from the ground up and uh stuff :crobear:

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001
Always love the "small" comment in regards to Rockstar games with the amount of content they pack in and also so many potential competitors make the mistake of trying to beat them by making bigger worlds. And the the growing consensuses that games are too big now. And Rockstar mixes incredible amounts of hard coded scripting with systemic design, which means increasing map size and keeping the same quality means a linear increase in development resources.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
Watching that elite trailer from getting back into destiny 2 recently, the game seems really bland. However, its really easy to forget that this extends what Elite already can do, which is everything in a space ship, fleet carrier, srv and the ship launched fighters.

This feels like a full gameplay loop, with the pure intention to showcase FPS gameplay. Star Citizen starts by being an FPS first and spaceship game later, so of course the backers are making GBS threads on Elite. :smuggo:

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Like I said, I will 100% get this if it comes out for the series x. I just have to see this.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

The most eye rolling part of the elite demo was probably the guards shots just all going around the player as they sat in the open.

The player movements also felt like they were on console, though im not 100% on that. And the enemies looked like they were 'easy' rated with the single chevron.

Think they would have shown off the game a lot better with action and difficulty, like an SRV crashing the base, dueling the sentry drones while players hopped out and assaulted the reactor. I hope that sort of thing is possible.

The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

Quavers posted:

I played about 1 hour of RDR2. 45 minutes of that were walking around trying to trigger a mission to continue while a guy was yelling at me to “go to the shed” while I was standing next to the shed. Finally I went to the stable and the mission continued. I decided that the game wasn’t for me.

Notice how they don’t mention how many play testers were involved.

The Atomic Man-Boy fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Mar 5, 2021

Baxta
Feb 18, 2004

Needs More Pirate

Quavers posted:

With RDR2 they had a plan. They still have a plan. You just have to trust them. This is all going exactly to plan.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

The Atomic Man-Boy posted:

I played about 1 hour of RDR2. 45 minutes of that were walking around trying to trigger a mission to continue while a guy was yelling at me to “go to the shed” while I was standing next to the shed. Finally I went to the stable and the mission continued. I decided that the game wasn’t for me.

It has a good story, good graphics, and some fun stuff. But its also a game that is extremely revealing of Rockstar's increasing failure to address their own limitations or grow their game design in significant ways.

I enjoyed it but it could be so much more. Too much of that game will tell you "you're playing it wrong! Start over and do it LIKE THIS" for what is also ostensibly an open-world sandbox game.

I want to actually engage in systems that allow me to be an outlaw and avoid the cops, but the wanted system is straight up broken and stupid and worse than GTA's. And GTA5's wanted system was already feeling crusty and vestigial compared to GTA3. The economy is fairly broken, crafting things one by one by one is painful and insane, etc. etc.

But rather than try designing new, fun gameplay, they'd rather just remake the exact same game but give it a new, extremely detailed world.

Honestly R* is a fairly good "there but for the grace of god go Chris Roberts", because they have some similar concepts of ~FIDELITY~ above all else. They just also know how to ship a game.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Oops I almost slept through it but it's time for another episode of

:siren:INSIDE STAR CITIZEN:siren:
The show that will still be talking about caves and mess hall scenes in 2025!

In today's episode:

* Those caves that they showed off a few episodes ago are back- the ones you can noclip-fly your spaceship around inside. It's amazing how fast that went from concept to completion- almost like they put a lot of dev team resources into literal holes in the ground!

* Anyway the caves in the space game for space will be unnavigable if your ship gets broken down inside them by, say, touching a cave wall. Or just the roll of the Star Citizen RNG dice. So these things seem extra deadly. I'm sure they'll have some excellent reward to encourage people to- oh, they're for "Exploration!" Never mind, they will never be seen outside of youtube videos. I wonder if the team realizes that their last cave masterpiece, the prison escape, is so onerous that people just log out rather than even bother to try it? No of course they don't.

* They've put spots for cover hiding in the caves. Oh, word?

* Here's a sentence from a space game dev in the 8th year of development: "In general what I like about making caves is that I'm able to add a little bit more hand crafted elements to the world." Dude it's weird that you have made so many caves that you can generalize about them.

* Lando time, skip time

* Oh boy they're going to talk about mining, the one semi-stable gameplay loop, which they're packing more poo poo onto! And not, say, one of the 99 other gameplay loops that they have not worked on at all. Hmm!

* Now you can put passive components on your lasers or whatever, a feature which will be completely ignored just like the swappable lasers themselves. Everyone just buys the one that guides say is "Best," guys, because finding rocks that your laser/components are good against is completely loving random and it's never worth taking anything but the most generalized build. But you know that, right? Oh, you don't?

* Anyway there's nothing I could find less interesting than a consumable potion that juices your mining laser so I'm skipping forward until more interesting things come up.

* Oops Lando is wrapping up- that's loving it! They aren't working on this game anymore.

L. Ron Hoover
Nov 9, 2009

Beet Wagon posted:

Wait, it took RDR2 8 years and 1000 software developers? But CIG has had only up to 500, tops! Along with building up a company, that means they can take up to 16 years minimum and still be on schedule!! :owned: FUDsters

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

L. Ron Hoover posted:

Wait, it took RDR2 8 years and 1000 software developers? But CIG has had only up to 500, tops! Along with building up a company, that means they can take up to 16 years minimum and still be on schedule!! :owned: FUDsters

Honestly as crazy as that is, I could almost give them that much slack. But EVEN THEN, that would mean that SC should be like 50% done right now and that's obviously not even close to true.

(OF course if you ask the backers, they've been working behind the scenes on all the code you can't see, and as soon as they hit some critical point, hoo boy just want and see how fast they crank out a dozen full sized planets! Any day now! Just... just waiting on that critical code behind the scenes! But they're making progress you better believe it!)

Baxta
Feb 18, 2004

Needs More Pirate

Sarsapariller posted:

In today's episode:

* Those caves that they showed off a few episodes ago are back- the ones you can noclip-fly your spaceship around inside. It's amazing how fast that went from concept to completion- almost like they put a lot of dev team resources into literal holes in the ground!

* Anyway the caves in the space game for space will be unnavigable if your ship gets broken down inside them by, say, touching a cave wall. Or just the roll of the Star Citizen RNG dice. So these things seem extra deadly. I'm sure they'll have some excellent reward to encourage people to- oh, they're for "Exploration!" Never mind, they will never be seen outside of youtube videos. I wonder if the team realizes that their last cave masterpiece, the prison escape, is so onerous that people just log out rather than even bother to try it? No of course they don't.

* Here's a sentence from a space game dev in the 8th year of development: "In general what I like about making caves is that I'm able to add a little bit more hand crafted elements to the world." Dude it's weird that you have made so many caves that you can generalize about them.

* Lando time, skip time

* Oh boy they're going to talk about mining, the one semi-stable gameplay loop, which they're packing more poo poo onto! And not, say, one of the 99 other gameplay loops that they have not worked on at all. Hmm!

* Now you can put passive components on your lasers or whatever, a feature which will be completely ignored just like the swappable lasers themselves. Everyone just buys the one that guides say is "Best," guys, because finding rocks that your laser/components are good against is completely loving random and it's never worth taking anything but the most generalized build. But you know that, right? Oh, you don't?

* Anyway there's nothing I could find less interesting than a consumable potion that juices your mining laser so I'm skipping forward until more interesting things come up.

* Oops Lando is wrapping up- that's loving it! They aren't working on this game anymore.

This cave poo poo and terrain modelling is all included free in Unity since I think 2019. Takes literally minutes to do.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Can someone go ahead and tweak the Miribot so we can see Citizens getting mad about Elite?

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Meridian posted:

Can someone go ahead and tweak the Miribot so we can see Citizens getting mad about Elite?

You can probably also get miribot to quote Commanders equally mad. The ED video yesterday sucked hairy balls.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Sarsapariller posted:

You missed one thing; the significant addition to mining (in addition to the juice you drink that makes you mine better temporarily that you mentioned) is they're adding little gadget things you can use to "lower its resistance".

The thing is these devices require you to leave your ship and EVA over to the asteroid to hand-place it, then go back to your ship.

This makes you a sitting duck, so someone can find you and blast your ship before you get back.

Do I really need to say more?

I get what they're going for. The game is boring and has no loops. Some way for miners to be caught and people to jump them could be very exciting. That's like half of EVE.

But holy poo poo none of this is thought out at all. Its not going to work the way they want. Either you'll never use the gadgets or it'll take too long to find people so it doesn't matter that you're vulnerable.

Also, what the gently caress, how do you possibly excuse this in the lore? You're a space miner with a special space-mining-ship and a space-mining-laser but you can't afford a loving drone to place a tiny gadget for you so you can stay onboard your ship? An EVA is the only solution? You're supposed to regularly do this as your job and its dangerous but nobody thought to invent a way to just shoot the drat gadget at the asteroid??? gently caress its Zero-G why not just throw the drat thing out the airlock??

CIG you clowns

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord
It’s always baffling to me how they even fail to stack up to modern MMOs. In Final Fantasy 14 mining is its own separate class with its own gameplay rotation.

Sure, it mostly boils down to choices like “do I want more normal ore or less high quality ore?” and you execute your skills and actions according to your goal.

Then you can instantly turn around and sell that ore on the market, or craft items to sell to other players. This usually makes it worth it because it’s an easy and fun way to make money or get new gear.

SC can’t even manage something as simple as that, afaik there’s no value for the player to mine ore. No reason at all to suffer through the process. Not even a simple market or crafting system to make it have a point.

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

Zaphod42 posted:

Also, what the gently caress, how do you possibly excuse this in the lore? You're a space miner with a special space-mining-ship and a space-mining-laser but you can't afford a loving drone to place a tiny gadget for you so you can stay onboard your ship? An EVA is the only solution? You're supposed to regularly do this as your job and its dangerous but nobody thought to invent a way to just shoot the drat gadget at the asteroid??? gently caress its Zero-G why not just throw the drat thing out the airlock??

CIG you clowns

I dunno, if they were half competent they could turn this into some multicrew action. One guy sits at the laser, the other is rubbing potion onto the rock or something (or pilots drone that does this).

I didn't watch CIG video for obvious reasons, so I'm not sure if that is literally "potion of mining"

Mu77ley
Oct 14, 2016

Bronze Fonz posted:

Yeah, only 3 weeks until the alpha goes live so we shall see then.

I'm planning on wiping my save in the alpha and trying the "start without even owning a ship" thing.

Mu77ley fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Mar 5, 2021

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Zaphod42 posted:

You missed one thing; the significant addition to mining (in addition to the juice you drink that makes you mine better temporarily that you mentioned) is they're adding little gadget things you can use to "lower its resistance".

The thing is these devices require you to leave your ship and EVA over to the asteroid to hand-place it, then go back to your ship.

This makes you a sitting duck, so someone can find you and blast your ship before you get back.

Do I really need to say more?

I get what they're going for. The game is boring and has no loops. Some way for miners to be caught and people to jump them could be very exciting. That's like half of EVE.

But holy poo poo none of this is thought out at all. Its not going to work the way they want. Either you'll never use the gadgets or it'll take too long to find people so it doesn't matter that you're vulnerable.

CIG you clowns
They could just archer it from ED and have a miner plant and detonate explosives in asteroid from inside their ship and have drones collect minerals from the debris. Miners being more vulnerable simply by having miner lodaout.

But it's SC, so of course:
- it cannot be done until everything from explosives storage to asteroid cores is fully physicalized
- they prefer it to be done in a far more tedious way to appease tedium-loving whales
- they are unable to do it anyway, their drones are still in concept and locked to certain ships that are also mainly still in concept, instead they have ridiculous poo poo like 'extraction laser'

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Mar 5, 2021

shrach
Jan 10, 2004

daylight ssssaving time

L. Ron Hoover posted:

That is presumably total contributors. Given current employee numbers and the turnover rate and subcontractors CIG has probably had at very least 2000 different people work on this project so far. Probably significantly higher.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Quavers posted:

Citizens can stretch almost any dev time out to a decade, because they count things like extremely early pre-production, initial announcements, or even the beginnings of internal company discussions. Like they’ll say CyberPunk started development in 2012, because it was announced back then and some early story work started. But it didn’t enter even pre-production until May 2016. Most games only have 3-4 years of any significant resources being put into their development.

Meanwhile SC gets every benefit of the doubt, and development can be punted to any arbitrary date/number of devs/tech milestone that fits their argument. Though the reality is that Chris went wild right out the gate spending millions, and a large amount of devs were working on the game at third party studios even before CIG proper was fully up and running. But no one wants to talk about those early days, because of inconvenient facts like most of that third party work having to be thrown out.

I can’t wait until StarField comes out and Citizens claim it took 25 years to make because Todd Howard had some water cooler discussion about making a space game in the late 90’s.

colonelwest fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Mar 5, 2021

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

Meridian posted:

There are zero mentions on the SC sub. Probably getting mod binned for being off topic.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Sarsapariller posted:

In today's episode:

* Lando time, skip time

it's not even funny anymore

marumaru
May 20, 2013

last of us 2 really has nothing on star citizen. look at how much emotion they can convey in this game.

ronmcd
Aug 27, 2017

Mu77ley posted:

Yeah, only 3 weeks until the alpha goes live so we shall see then.

I'm planning on wiping my save in the alpha and trying the "start without even owning a ship" thing.

Yeah, same.

edit - although I might fly down to a few different atmospheric planets in VR first ... for science.

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

The Atomic Man-Boy posted:

Just wanna clarify that you did not play RDR2, this was the on-rails intro.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

marumaru posted:

last of us 2 really has nothing on star citizen. look at how much emotion they can convey in this game.

That is the kind of expression I´d have if I had to take a poo poo and was geared up in a hermetic space suit in space.

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man
Ships can hover!

I take it all back CIG :iiasb:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcarusUpHigh
Dec 20, 2016

https://streamable.com/7za2il