Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Doom 3 flashlight mechanic > Doom Eternal 3d platforming and air dashing puzzles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Doom 1 from 1996 > all the other dooms and most newer fps

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Doom 1 from 1993 > all the other dooms and most newer fps

Fixed and :hai:

Amid Evil crept close to the title though. Unbelievable level design.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Doom 1 from 1996 > all the other dooms and most newer fps

First time I ever played Doom was 2012 or so on Reccomendation from my boss at the time, absolutely still holds up, loving fantastic. Killed any interest I had in COD or Battlefield.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Doom 2 was better

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

QuarkJets posted:

Doom 2 was better

this

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Level design is way better in the first game

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Can't spell doom without mdoo *tips trilby*

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Gaius Marius posted:

I think Doom 2 is better on replays. First time through, or if you forget enough of the dumb secret passage bullshit it pulls, then Doom 1 is better.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
i play overwatch nightly :twisted:

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Gaius Marius posted:

Yeah but the ssg and the mid tier enemies were very good additions to the base game. Also there's plenty of level packs to choose from.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Space Kablooey posted:

Yeah but the ssg and the mid tier enemies were very good additions to the base game. Also there's plenty of level packs to choose from.

On one hand I feel this, on the other gently caress Chaingunners. Yeah if you include level packs 2 wins by default almost, but just looking at the levels the games launched with I'd rather replay Doom than 2. They're both incredible though, I wish the Modern ones had lived up to them, DOOM was alright, but man Eternal was rough.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Doom's music wasn't that good

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

ikanreed posted:

Doom's music wasn't that good

My favorite thing about e1m1 music is when I found out it mashes better than expected for a shitpost with Plastic Love https://youtu.be/mPGhgs1mv4M

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

My old boss would blast the Doom soundtrack everytime we closed, I had e1M1 stuck in my head for a full year before I ever heard it in game, still kicked rear end

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

isn't dooms soundtrack just beep boop ripoffs of the metal bands that those dorky developers were listening to?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Caesar Saladin posted:

isn't dooms soundtrack just beep boop ripoffs of the metal bands that those dorky developers were listening to?

I don't see how this contradicts anything

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

The power fantasy in Valheim leaves something to be desired

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Disco Pope posted:

How do you feel about Marvel movies and the Foo Fighters, chief?

I'm not really sure what you're getting at here, but I'm not saying that 'anything popular is poo poo', I'm just saying that it's pretty normal for poo poo stuff to become immensely popular.

/Edit: Also, I really like a lot of the Doom tracks, but the Quake theme by Nine Inch Nails https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mv5Jvr2Fp48 is so good. I loved how all the nailgun ammo in that had the NIN logo on it, hah

!Klams fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Mar 5, 2021

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

signalnoise posted:

The power fantasy in Valheim leaves something to be desired

look at some point you're full, and you've had enough

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Shibawanko posted:

look at some point you're full, and you've had enough

Someone hasn't played STALKER :smug:

If I can't eat unlimited supply of sausages in a video game, I consider it a bug.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Archer666 posted:

Someone hasn't played STALKER :smug:

If I can't eat unlimited supply of sausages in a video game, I consider it a bug.

it's unrealistic, not to mention unhealthy. a real life stalker would happily survive on meager rations

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

"aquatic ambiance" is a lovely song

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

Fixed and :hai:

Amid Evil crept close to the title though. Unbelievable level design.

I didn't like Amid Evil, something about the visual style just didn't click for me.

DUST was fantastic though

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Chinatown posted:

same it's like hitting yourself in the head, but the sweet sweet time you have when you miss is all worth it

(applies to any online team game)

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Chinatown posted:

I got bored enough to load up Overwatch in lockdown, its really flashy and colourful but also the attacking team wins every game and nothing feels all that impactful.

Still the hamster in the rolling sphere is a super fun charachter to play.

No idea why anyone would play mcree or soldier 76 though. Soooo boring

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

All the individual Overwatch characters look sweet and the animations are tight and impactful and the environments look clean but not sterile, and apparently you don't need to build an actual good game around those things to have a massive hit.

It just makes SO MUCH sense that Overwatch is a game thrown together at the last minute to contain years worth of hard work by talented artists.

Phigs fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Mar 5, 2021

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I got bored enough to load up Overwatch in lockdown, its really flashy and colourful but also the attacking team wins every game and nothing feels all that impactful.

Still the hamster in the rolling sphere is a super fun charachter to play.

Yeah, I load it up sometimes now and then, "There aren't many games that use your fancy graphics card, and this was actually quite good, wasn't it?"

And I'm immediately reminded that it's actually a driving game, where you drive an armoured ball through a game of unreal tournament.

(Because otherwise you have to play overwatch which sucks)

When they announced him I couldn't believe it would work, and the reason he's so good is exactly because he kind of doesn't. It's one thing I will say for Blizzard games. They make everything so 'fair', they take out any 'feelbads' of the other team outplaying you (by just utterly neutering everything) but then that means that they can put batshit insane characters in their games and it still wont break anything. Like in HotS, you get characters like Abathur and Cho'Gall. That couldn't really happen in a game where your actions have consequences, so I feel like it's kind of worth it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Phigs posted:

All the individual Overwatch characters look sweet and the animations are tight and impactful and the environments look clean but not sterile, and apparently you don't need to build an actual good game around those things to have a massive hit.

It just makes SO MUCH sense that Overwatch is a game thrown together at the last minute to contain years worth of hard work by talented artists.

I did hear it was originally some kinda superhero MMO project (rip City of Heroes) hastily repurposed into a TF2 knockoff.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

!Klams posted:

Like in HotS, you get characters like Abathur and Cho'Gall. That couldn't really happen in a game where your actions have consequences, so I feel like it's kind of worth it.

Sick but deserved burn on heros of the storm

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
Overwatch is a very hard and complex game where success is dependent on so many variables the casual player might as well play dice. The disney look is not really communicating that well.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Been playing Borderlands 2. Interestingly I have the opposite of my usual opinion.

99% of the time I watch others play and don't play myself. So of course in that scenario I care about story, characters, acting and so on.

Turns out when I like playing a game I don't give a gently caress about your characters or story, gimme dudes to shoot.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Overwatch has worse gameplay than Battleborne across the board but it had really good art you could more easily got horny over so it lived.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

doom 64 is the most erotic doom, but doom 2 is the most sensual

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

JollyBoyJohn posted:

flashbang + fan the hammering people dead from short range never gets old.
People get really salty about it, when they get repeatedly deleted by this ’no-skill trick’.

I just :LUL: at them.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The Commodore 64 port of Eye of the Beholder will be poo poo because it has the poo poo UI which it shouldn't have because it's god drat 2021. (Not that it will come out in 2021 or ever, who knows.)

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

The Overwatch artstyle looks like a banner ad for a phone game.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Are there any good modern 3d-dungeon games like that?
I really liked the Grimrock 1&2,
but otherwise I haven’t played any of the older ones.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

adhuin posted:

Are there any good modern 3d-dungeon games like that?
I really liked the Grimrock 1&2,
but otherwise I haven’t played any of the older ones.

I had the same Scratch, but let me tell you to avoid Starcrawlers. It's looks more fun than it plays, which is a shame.
edit: Void Bastards is a very lite, dungeon-crawl adjecent game? It has limited lifespan, but was good fun for the first playthroguh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
Overwatch is fine but its also the most datedly Obama era thing I can think of aside from maybe like Iron Man 2. I know it technically came out during Trump's presidency, but Overwatch was developed assuming a Clinton presidency.