Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION

Darko posted:

This started out well and ended up being such MCU nonsense.

That's actually the part I'm not mad about lol. If you don't expect it to end in a bland mirror match where you been for the last 10 years. Every movie ends with a Ryu vs Ken fight and if it doesn't thats the one people don't like. Hulk fights a hulk, shrinking guy fighting a shrinking guy, magic guy fights a magic guy, metal suit fights a metal suit, etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Protagorean
May 19, 2013

by Azathoth

Blaise330 posted:

they dont UNDERSTAND what she SACRIFICED

When you think about it, she's the real victim

WandaVision is a quirky Rambo 1

I guess I was wrong about the Darkhold, which whatever, the old design was really stupid anyways, but I hate a reveal like that where they know you're not going to recognize it so they make Agatha spell it out.. two episodes later! The finale overall was a big stinker. Too many loose ends, the few you got tied up were unsatisfying, and it felt like the movie-budget quality itself dropped off.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Blaise330 posted:

That's actually the part I'm not mad about lol. If you don't expect it to end in a bland mirror match where you been for the last 10 years. Every movie ends with a Ryu vs Ken fight and if it doesn't thats the one people don't like. Hulk fights a hulk, shrinking guy fighting a shrinking guy, magic guy fights a magic guy, metal suit fights a metal suit, etc

I hoped that with television, it might step out of the box. I just don't understand why even TV has to be part of the same factory.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

I am upset about Fietro. Fix this, MCU.

:smith:

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

STAC Goat posted:

I dunno about the time thing. Like that's the same amount of stuff in the same amount of time you'd pack into a film ending and this episode flowed pretty directly out of the last couple of episodes. I feel like we've been firmly in "Act 3" every since Wanda was confronted by Vision/Pietro and clearly started to feel the guilt of what she's done.

And I think that's what I mean when I say I'm surprised people are kind of separating Olsen's performance from the catharsis/consequences of the show. For me she's been clearly expressing her guilt for weeks now and evryone from Vision to Pietro to Agatha to crying townspeople were hammering home that she's doing bad. Its also pretty clear she startd it involuntarily and was still deluding herself about it all the way up until that moment the towns people started pleading to hr. I actually really liked the quiet resolve she and Vision had about what needed to be done. Its the redeeming element for Wanda for me, that once she finally truly realized what she was doing she didn't debate or bargain any more. She immediately started correcting things and just gave herself enough time to say goodbye.

I dunno. I actually thought people would like that they didn't have an extended melodramatic debate/speech about what needed to be done. I felt like all that had already been spelled out pretty well for Wanda and us.

This is exactly how I felt fwiw. I think it landed pretty right on. I was just a little surprised at the lack of any larger cameos, but it was fine without.

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION
Some psychologists are gonna make loving BANK, off of this, especially if they don't have the ethics to admit they and noone else is qualified to help them through it

"A god being shattered your and thousands of people perception of free will making you realize you're an expendable extra in their infinitely more important life because your might is helpless against theirs? Lets schedule 3 sessions a week, do you have insurance?"

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Darko posted:

I hoped that with television, it might step out of the box. I just don't understand why even TV has to be part of the same factory.
There was a time when Netflix made good Marvel shows. *sigh*

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
I wouldn't say they completely stuck the landing here, but they did a better job of it than I was expecting, and I liked the small bits of Wanda in full-power magic mode we got. My take on the last bit is that she was practicing controlling a physical clone of herself she'd made out of nothing with chaos magic while simultaneously studying the Darkhold, or maybe using the Darkhold to help her pull off that feat. That seems like a fun tease of "Wanda's gonna be able to do some messed up stuff folks!" It'd also be a sensible thing for her to be studying since if she got that trick down, weaving a fresh spell that involved creating physical forms for the husband and kids she'd just lost and restoring their minds into them (without that mess of being tied in to the Westview situation) could let her bring them all back into regular ol' reality.

I think a second season further exploring the character and having her track down her kids with restored-vision's help, probably just straight up mucking about in hell[/spoiler[ would be a fun time. Her pursuing [spoiler]knowledge about how to save her kids seems like a natural tie in to the Dr. Strange movie (and gives her a more interesting potential arc there than just "I want you to teach me about magic Sorcerer Supreme Senpai", and I'm excited to see the inevitable "our heroes fight each other a bit" and "our heroes team up for one or two big flashy fights" sequences that would result from her being in the movie.

Overall it's been a very fun ride, and they've very successfully elevated both Wanda and Vision into much more compelling characters while also scaling up Wanda to be a much bigger deal wherever she may pop up going forward. I could easily see them treating her as basically the magic version of the Hulk in the MCU going forward, in terms of how they utilize her. I also think they laid the groundwork to have her be the reason Mutants pop up later or become a major threat for the Avengers to oppose. At this point I'm sure they weren't throwing around terms like "You have no idea what you've done!" and "You're going to cause an apocalypse" without plans to pay that off later.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Blaise330 posted:

It's usually only the first movie that has mirror fights, while sequels step away from it. And it's not even all of them. Spiderman's first movie villain, Vulture, wasn't a mirror fight. People also liked it, along with the second movie. Which, again, no mirror fight. Thor: Ragnarok, Ant Man & the Wasp, Captain America: Civil War, Guardians of the Galaxy 1 and 2, Infinity War and Endgame. Plenty of films that don't have mirror fights that people like.

NowonSA posted:

At this point I'm sure they weren't throwing around terms like "You have no idea what you've done!" and "You're going to cause an apocalypse" without plans to pay that off later.

I wonder if Feige will go full one-upmanship, and do En Sabah Nur as well as Dark PhoenixWanda.

tsob fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Mar 5, 2021

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION

Rappaport posted:

I am upset about Fietro. Fix this, MCU.

:smith:

Xmen dont work outside of xmen, who has powers if every other person is born with them

Eh they'll figure it out during phase 5

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Blaise330 posted:

Some psychologists are gonna make loving BANK, off of this, especially if they don't have the ethics to admit they and noone else is qualified to help them through it

"A god being shattered your and thousands of people perception of free will making you realize you're an expendable extra in their infinitely more important life because your might is helpless against theirs? Lets schedule 3 sessions a week, do you have insurance?"

"Oh and this happened literally right after half of everyone on Earth just came back? And half of you were adjusting to returning to life after missing five years of time, and the other half were adjusting to suddenly having these loved ones back?

Better make it 4 sessions a week."

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

I'm confused as to what hayward was getting arrested for. He launched an assault on a rogue super being that held an entire city hostage that seemed to be within his role to do so. I guess in the MCU you can be charged with the crime of just being an antagonist to a hero.

I kind of agree that wanda didn't show enough remorse at the end but also agree that there's not many things you could do to her to make her pay for what she's done. As mentioned before: no prison could hold her, and the one thing that could be used against her, the white vision, just hosed off in existential crisis.

In the end I enjoyed the whole show but feel like that ending needed more focus and polish.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

am i missing something where people call Pietro a gag character? because Ralph Bohner (lol) is likely a fake name and he's revealed to have superspeed when he had Monica trapped in his mancave. It seems like they left the thread open that he might be some other super with a speed ability?

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
5 hours for the moral of "you should luck into having stronger energy beams than your enemy", and the only significant character change was "new outfit".

Incredible waste of time.

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION

NowonSA posted:

"Oh and this happened literally right after half of everyone on Earth just came back? And half of you were adjusting to returning to life after missing five years of time, and the other half were adjusting to suddenly having these loved ones back?

Better make it 4 sessions a week."

drat and they call DC the dark one.

Miching Mallecho
May 24, 2010

:yeshaha:
So in the end, the chaos magic was the friends we mind hosed along the way.

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION
Boner as Quicksilver or Killian as The Mandarin, who wore it better

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

G-III posted:

I'm confused as to what hayward was getting arrested for. He launched an assault on a rogue super being that held an entire city hostage that seemed to be within his role to do so. I guess in the MCU you can be charged with the crime of just being an antagonist to a hero.
[/spoiler].

No, he was arrested for lying to everyone about Vision, framing Wanda for his theft and basically using the specter of Wanda to try and bring him back online against his will. Shooting kids probably didn't help either. It's what Jimmy was talking to him about when he stole the phone and bluffed having incoming backup.

The Saddest Rhino posted:

am i missing something where people call Pietro a gag character? because Ralph Bohner (lol) is likely a fake name and he's revealed to have superspeed when he had Monica trapped in his mancave. It seems like they left the thread open that he might be some other super with a speed ability?

He was still under Agatha's direction at the time, since he was still acting like a different person despite having identification in his room. Which stopped as soon as Monica removed the necklace. The implication is that the necklace was what gave him the powers, as well as his new personality, just like Wanda was able to give her kids powers for instance, but a future project could change things and have him be a natural speedster she was using.

VagueRant posted:

5 hours for the moral of "you should luck into having stronger energy beams than your enemy", and the only significant character change was "new outfit".

That wasn't what won her the fight though. If anything, that was working against her, since hitting Agatha with bigger beams as she was born with and/or lucked in to via the Mind Stone was just empowering Agatha. Which is a power Agatha herself was born with. What allowed Wanda to win was distracting Agatha by shooting her with beams, while deliberately missing some shots to change the hex behind Agatha to have runes that restricted Agatha's magic and made it no longer a fight i.e. learning some control of herself and her powers. After which, Wanda let go of the her faux family to move on. She's still not being a good person, since she chose to give Agatha an ironic revenge she knew would torture her mentally in perpetuity, but she's let go of a dream life that wasn't real and stopped torturing the rest of the town and chose to learn to control her powers.

tsob fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Mar 5, 2021

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
That was just dumb ending in a every way. I can't believe it even had a big dumb sky beam

Whatever, I'll still drink that garbage.

Thundercracker fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Mar 5, 2021

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Its Rinaldo posted:

I mean Vision asked her about why there aren't any kids her reaction wasn't "oh yeah I should let them go" but "I should use them as props for my halloween episode" and then stashes them away again when she's done which is deeply hosed up.

In order for her actions in the initial episodes to make any sense you kind of have to assume that she doesent have full concious control of her powers, otherwise the moment fake Pietro or Anges showed up shed go 'who the gently caress are you you're not part of my plan'

It's possible she honestly believed that rather than 'just' mind-controlling people she'd actually made a better reality, like in House of M no ones mind-controlled, its just all different.

Nundizo
Feb 9, 2021

Darko posted:

can't deny, the sitcom episodes were brilliant, and was honestly the reason most people kept coming back

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

lol no consequences for anyone except hayward. what Wanda did was good, actually. an effective duplicate of vision gets to hang around and there’s hope wanda can bring back her children.

im not surprised by this direction given how i felt they were characterizing Wanda in past weeks but still.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

tsob posted:

]

He was still under Agatha's direction at the time, since he was still acting like a different person despite having identification in his room. Which stopped as soon as Monica removed the necklace. The implication is that the necklace was what gave him the powers, as well as his new personality, just like Wanda was able to give her kids powers for instance, but a future project could change things and have him be a natural speedster she was using.

Makes sense, hope he does get to be another powered character in the mcu, Evan Peter's is a fun actor

Also this week at least magic battles aren't comprise solely of colorful lasers or fireballs shooting at each other... Although a big chunk of it was that, yeah

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
drat the show peaked in every way at episode 4 and just dropped it.

Well a good writer will be able to use this and possibly rectify some of the missteps. I’m not exactly annoyed that the show didn’t go full on “no, more mutants!” and have Michael Fassbender Fassbending Vision and indulge every fan theory but why bring Pietro into it at all if that’s not the case? If you’re going to tease the Nexus why not pay it off in the same series?

There’s still far too many loose ends - what happened to new real vision? Why did he just fly off? Why tie in more to Captain America 2 at the end rather than Doctor Strange?

They have said the the next doctor strange is the first real horror film of the MCU. The darkhold is obviously a good jumping point for that at least.

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Also this week at least magic battles aren't comprise solely of colorful lasers or fireballs shooting at each other... Although a big chunk of it was that, yeah

I did kinda laugh at how the vision vs vision fight at the beginning was almost like an old Disney tracing of Man of Steel

Aipsh fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Mar 5, 2021

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I guess reflecting more the only thing I'm really unhappy with is just the pacing decisions combined with the TV splits and release schedule. I think it's most grating because I know that they do the weekly release thing purely to combat sub+ binge+ cancel on the service, which, zzzzz.

I think things in the finale should have had more breathing room, but I also would have been really really loving annoyed at a cut + week long break in the middle of it. If it was something like the last two-three episodes released at once, or if the last one was a full hour to hour and twenty minutes or so it probably would have landed better. Still really satisfied overall.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
In the end, the real Mephistos were the mutants we aerospace engineered along the boners

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

In and of itself it was a pretty okay episode at best, but I’m not sure it could have lived up to the expectation I put on it so that kind of tempered my disappointment.

There were a lot points to pick at but honestly the one that just sticks with me right now is something super inconsequential. Where Boner has Rambeau locked in his weird loner shack and she’s all “how is she controlling you?” and tears off the necklace. Why the necklace? How is she controlling him? Probably the same way she’s controlling literally everyone else in town :confused:, what is even the point of the necklace?

Anyway that’s my super stupid nitpick about literally the least important thing ever to be shown in the last nine episodes.’

I have zero interest in the Falcon/Winter Soldier show but I guess I’ll tune in. I really had zero interest in Wandavision until I actually sat down and watched the first three episodes so I will give it a shot. I’m trying to reconcile the interest I feel about Wanda and Vision now to the “who cares at all about these characters” I felt two or three months ago, which is literally how I feel about Falcon and Bucky so who knows..

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Mar 5, 2021

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Martytoof posted:

Where Boner has Rambeau locked in his weird loner shack and she’s all “how is she controlling you?” and tears off the necklace. Why the necklace? How is she controlling him? Probably the same way she’s controlling literally everyone else in town :confused:, what is even the point of the necklace?

Agatha wasn't controlling anyone else in town though, Wanda was. Agatha only controlled anyone else through direct means, and one of the things she found confusing about Wanda was that she could control others on auto pilot. Which implies she can't do that. She needed the necklace to have a link to Fietro, to be able to control him.

Edit: I wonder will two episodes of Falcon & the Winter Soldier drop the first week too, like WandaVision, or was that just for WandaVision due to the odd nature of the first few episodes and to hook people on despite that by showing more oddities up front.

tsob fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Mar 5, 2021

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Oh my bad, I 100% spaced on Agnes manipulating the Boner, not Wanda; Probably a 6am no-coffee watch thing.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Mar 5, 2021

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

personal question: how many people would have to beg for you to kill them before you started to reassess your choices over the past few weeks?

More seriously, I think the show made major missteps in making Hayword such a two-dimensional villain. If he had not been motivated solely by a desire to have cool guns and poo poo but instead a good-faith critic of Wanda, reasonably horrified by her keeping an entire town in a mind prison for months on end, the show could have better underscored the gravity of Wanda's actions and complicated its universe in interesting ways. Hell, he could still have been the antagonist, one who takes unnecessarily extreme measures like drone striking the grieving woman and reviving her dead husband in a ploy to release Westview.

Instead of that, what we got was a subplot that's transparently an attempt to keep Bettany and Vision in the MCU and ended with a bunch of SWORD trucks pulling up ineffectually into town amid the final fight.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
Am I the only who appreciated that Vision beats Spectrevision by talking him into goodness instead of punching him to death?

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Mooseontheloose posted:

Am I the only who appreciated that Vision beats Spectrevision by talking him into goodness instead of punching him to death?

Yeah, I liked that you can't just turn him into an Evil Robot, he's quickly distracted by logical correctness lol

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Wanda didn't get away with it, she went on the lamb and is hiding in the woods, Bruce Banner-style. And considering that she's studying the bad book, I don't think we're supposed to think the show/MCU is giving her a pass. She still probably has a reckoning coming.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

live with fruit posted:

Wanda didn't get away with it, she went on the lamb and is hiding in the woods, Bruce Banner-style. And considering that she's studying the bad book, I don't think we're supposed to think the show/MCU is giving her a pass. She still probably has a reckoning coming.

right, it seems pretty clear that WandaVision was basically a longform way to explain how the Scarlet Witch became a universal threat when she is one in the future

there's basically nothing else to take away from another immortal witch saying she's going to cause the apocalypse and then the series ending with Wanda reading the Literal Hell Book to figure out how to resurrect her nonexistent children from other dimensions

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Just watched it, definitely a show where the mystery was much more interesting than the reveal.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

eke out posted:

right, it seems pretty clear that WandaVision was basically a longform way to explain how the Scarlet Witch became a universal threat when she is one in the future

there's basically nothing else to take away from another immortal witch saying she's going to cause the apocalypse and then the series ending with Wanda reading the Literal Hell Book to figure out how to resurrect her nonexistent children from other dimensions

maybe this is my mistake for wanting to view a television series as its own self-contained thing instead of the corner piece in a 1000-piece jigsaw puzzle.

the dude earlier in the thread arguing that monica is pro-slavery because she said she would do the same thing wanda did is really overstating his point but i don't think it's a mistake to read monica's lines in the finale as an attempt by the writers to help the audience stomach their protagonist's actions and keep her sympathetic enough to feature as a hero or antihero in future movies.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
Wasn't bad, but can't say this really stuck the landing, either.

I wasn't particularly invested in whether or not Pietro was the "real" Fox Peter Maximoff, but the Ralph Bohner thing feels like an half-baked troll of the audience, and while it's a bona fide MCU trope for many of the movies to degenerate into two people with basically the same powers shooting differently-colored CG at each other, could they really not come up with a more visually interesting way for Wanda and Agatha to fight than lasers and energy blasts? Especially given that we've already see the franchise pull that off for Doctor Strange in multiple movies.

I also generally found the SWORD characters to be pretty dull throughout the series, but even so, the endings they got still felt pretty abrupt. Darcy was barely in the episode at all; it felt like several scenes had to be cut out.

And the one thing I really, really wanted to happen in the finale, the twins being aged up, didn't happen, so I guess we'll have to wait a year to see if that happens in Doctor Strange 2 or if the theory about Marvel deliberately casting LGBT characters very young so they can avoid dealing with their sexuality onscreen holds water. sigh.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

live with fruit posted:

I think the way she treated Agatha in the end shows her mindset and probably sets an example of how she could be expected to act for the moment. Her final actions are not heroic at all, really.

eke out posted:

I initially thought she was reading the Darkholt to find out mor e about herself and/or her powers, and that the voice of her kids wasn't something she was aiming for. It's definitely plausible that she's reading the book for that purpose or a mix of the two though.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

tsob posted:

I initially thought she was reading the Darkholt to find out mor e about herself and/or her powers, and that the voice of her kids wasn't something she was aiming for. It's definitely plausible that she's reading the book for that purpose or a mix of the two though.

yeah that was just my guess but it is objectively a capital-e Evil thing that gives you whatever you most desire, so basically no outcome is good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Barry Convex posted:

And the one thing I really, really wanted to happen in the finale, the twins being aged up, didn't happen, so I guess we'll have to wait a year to see if that happens in Doctor Strange 2 or if the theory about Marvel deliberately casting LGBT characters very young so they can avoid dealing with their sexuality onscreen holds water. sigh.

I find it to be a weird theory in this particular instance simply because the kids were only just born. There's no reason they would normally be open to romantic involvement for a decade or more, but Marvel has already set precedent of rapidly aging them so that they could potentially be used sooner. The characters as created in the comics were also introduced in the same way i.e. initially babies that are reintroduced as teens to become heroes, and the show seemed to end with a hook for that. Unless Disney/Marvel just ignored their comic history entirely, and introduced them as teens rather than children then it was basically always going to be a thing that they were too young for some of their screen presence.